Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Miss You Appreciation Thread
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 21, 2018 17:56

With all the Miss You bashing going on around here I thought I'd start a MY appreciation thread for all people who love this masterpiece as much as me!

I read comments of people calling it the toilet break song and that the Stones should drop it. That's so much negativety. In fact MY is not just one of the greatest RS songs - it's one of the greatest songs ever written! I could do a concert without YCAGWYW or PIB but if they would not play MY these days I would be hugely disappointed! It has one of the catchiest melodies ever (I bet every Stones fan has an earwig of it once in a while) and when the whole stadium joins during the singalong part it sounds almost like an anthem. And because MY is such an awesome song Some Girls became the greatest selling album of the band in the US. MY is able to turn a whole stadium into a nightclub for seven or eight minutes. I often wish it could last a bit longer. It's a pity they don't play it as long anymore as in the '90s.
Also Miss You is one of the few songs that profits from being played a bit slower just as they do it since Hamburg. While some other songs tend to drag a bit (HTW for example), Miss You sound even more sexier and groovier.

The only thing that bothers me a bit these days is that Mick does not shout anymore "EYYYY! WHAT'S THE MATTA MAN? WE'RE GONNA COME AROUND ABOUT TWELVE WITH SOME PUERTO RICAN GIRLS THAT ARE DYYYYING TO MEET YA!!!" but sings it rather quietly. But that's also the case with other songs...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-21 18:22 by StonedRambler.

Re: The Miss You Appreciation Thread
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 21, 2018 18:14

Great studio song - the first 1000 or so times I heard it. In fact, me and mu friends all went nuts when it first came out.

Never really worked live for me. (The 1978 versions sound great though).

I think this is the opinion of many - although some just hate the disco vibe of the song.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-21 18:17 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: May 21, 2018 18:22

I love the song....when I hear it on the radio I turn it up...it is a great song

It was great live in the 80's

It is now a buzz killer live...it is tired....the crowd does not participate in the sing along stuff much at all anymore ...it is way to long and needs to be DROPPED

Add 2 songs in its place.

Lets Spend the Night Together and Under My Thumb.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 21, 2018 19:20

this is a fabulous thread

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 21, 2018 19:30

Always loved it - both studio and live. thumbs up

I mentioned this regarding Midnight Rambler (and obviously that's an entirely different vibe), but when Miss You is played live there's the opportunity for some improv which is missing from most all of the other tunes being played live these days. The only negative I can think of is Darryl's bass solo, but he seems to be enjoying himself and it's the one time he can show his chops. Rather hear him do it on Miss You than Emotional Rescue - those live performances were horrible and embarrassing.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 21, 2018 22:51

jumpontopofmebaby
I love the song....when I hear it on the radio I turn it up...it is a great song

It is now a buzz killer live...it is tired....the crowd does not participate in the sing along stuff much at all anymore ...it is way to long and needs to be DROPPED

Sorry but maybe we have been at different shows. The crowd loves this song and it always gets a massive reaction. I think it was their biggest hit. Even more than satisfaction.

I remember coming out of Hyde Park when thousands of fans singing miss you. Great atmosphere.

I love this song and always will. Same with tumbling dice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-21 22:53 by sjs12.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 21, 2018 23:42

I'd appreciate it if they put it to rest on this tour and
played an original Jagger/Richards hidden gem in its place.

Date: May 21, 2018 23:45

sjs12
jumpontopofmebaby

Sorry but maybe we have been at different shows. The crowd loves this song and it always gets a massive reaction. I think it was their biggest hit. Even more than satisfaction.

I remember coming out of Hyde Park when thousands of fans singing miss you. Great atmosphere.

I have not seen much crowd reaction in a long long time. Now you take like HTW. I hear what seems to be the whole crowd singing that song.

And I am not saying HTW is one I like. I just know my last Stones show was Desert Trip weekend 2. Very little crowd singing with Miss You...Nashville on Zip Code Tour....hardly any either. It is to long and been done too too many times...try something new. Ruby Tuesday? or what ever....there are way too many great Stones songs to settle for a 20 song concert and 17 songs being played over and over tour after tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-21 23:48 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 21, 2018 23:46

I always liked the song, especially the bridge and the sax solo.
Soundwise the whole album is perfect.

And I LOVE the 10+ minutes outtake...pure magic.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 22, 2018 00:11

its a good song and after a few beers it sounds great, but miss you is no where near the level of so many other stones songs.

i agree the stone have made so many great songs for them to choose the same 17 every gig for years.

Posted by: hilary ()
Date: May 22, 2018 01:06

jumpontopofmebaby
sjs12
jumpontopofmebaby

I have not seen much crowd reaction in a long long time. Now you take like HTW. I hear what seems to be the whole crowd singing that song.

And I am not saying HTW is one I like. I just know my last Stones show was Desert Trip weekend 2. Very little crowd singing with Miss You...Nashville on Zip Code Tour....hardly any either. It is to long and been done too too many times...try something new. Ruby Tuesday? or what ever....there are way too many great Stones songs to settle for a 20 song concer
t and 17 songs being played over and over tour after tour.

To be honest,in the last years i've not seen much crowd reaction generally,not only during Miss You. I don't know if this is because of the avarage age that is not that low,but it's really boring seeing people almost staring during the gig, apart for argentinian or spanish audience.

Date: May 22, 2018 01:07

StonedRambler
With all the Miss You bashing going on around here I thought I'd start a MY appreciation thread for all people who love this masterpiece as much as me!

I read comments of people calling it the toilet break song and that the Stones should drop it. That's so much negativety. In fact MY is not just one of the greatest RS songs - it's one of the greatest songs ever written! I could do a concert without YCAGWYW or PIB but if they would not play MY these days I would be hugely disappointed! It has one of the catchiest melodies ever (I bet every Stones fan has an earwig of it once in a while) and when the whole stadium joins during the singalong part it sounds almost like an anthem. And because MY is such an awesome song Some Girls became the greatest selling album of the band in the US. MY is able to turn a whole stadium into a nightclub for seven or eight minutes. I often wish it could last a bit longer. It's a pity they don't play it as long anymore as in the '90s.
Also Miss You is one of the few songs that profits from being played a bit slower just as they do it since Hamburg. While some other songs tend to drag a bit (HTW for example), Miss You sound even more sexier and groovier.

The only thing that bothers me a bit these days is that Mick does not shout anymore "EYYYY! WHAT'S THE MATTA MAN? WE'RE GONNA COME AROUND ABOUT TWELVE WITH SOME PUERTO RICAN GIRLS THAT ARE DYYYYING TO MEET YA!!!" but sings it rather quietly. But that's also the case with other songs...

Date: May 22, 2018 01:10

Agree with you!!!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 22, 2018 01:12

Nothing wrong with the song. The Stones best take on disco. But since it became a warhorse it also started to become boring. And it was a while since disco was on the table.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 22, 2018 01:22

It was nice in 1989-90 because it was different. Since then it's been drab and way too long.

The studio version is stellar, of course, so perhaps the title of the thread should be specific - The Miss You Live Appreciation Thread seems to be more what it's about than the LP version, right?

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: May 22, 2018 01:25

hilary
To be honest,in the last years i've not seen much crowd reaction generally,not only during Miss You. I don't know if this is because of the avarage age that is not that low,but it's really boring seeing people almost staring during the gig, apart for argentinian or spanish audience.

Phones and other mobile media are killing real life experiences.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 22, 2018 01:34

Miss You is one of their most important songs. It's in the same category as Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash, and Start Me Up. Miss You revived them as a relevant band. They hadn't had a world wide smash since Angie in '73. It was much better of course, when Bill played on it live, but even today it's a real crowd pleaser, especially for the women. I'd rather they drop Sympathy and Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 22, 2018 01:45

I love Miss You! A great song, I like the studio version, there is a much better one than the one published on the official album (video), I like it when they play it live.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 22, 2018 01:57

extended version sublime..maybe as good as anything and as certainly as important as anything they've done...the 78/81 versions live were the best Licks not bad either...not sure I love the latest incarnation...but still a great song.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 22, 2018 03:33

What a killer song!! Put on the 12" PINK VINYL version and let it groove!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: May 22, 2018 06:02

Miss You might not be my favorite song and had I hired the Stones for a set it wouldn't be in it. BUT, it's a stones song, Mick enjoys singing it and I'd rather piss in my pants than missing out on it ;-)

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: May 22, 2018 08:46

What a great thread! My MY story goes like this: when I am away from home (call it "vacation") I have my own personal soundtrack with me. Either on my headphones - or simply in my head. Strange? That´s what the doctors at Arkham Asylum think as well... When I spent parts of my honeymoon trip in NYC in 2012, one afternoon my wife was too tired to walk around any more that day, so I went by myself. No headphones, Manhattan in August, afternoon time. The beat and groove and swing in my head in that very special situation came from two sources. One was the debut album from Vintage Trouble, the other one was MY, I wouldn´t want to miss that experience!
Live I like it a lot as a song, but not quite that much as a part of the show. In Werchter on the 2014 tour in Europe in found myself lip-syncing MJs whole talk ("...sometimes I wanna play the bass just like Darryl..."), word by word. Not very unpredictable, for it was only my fourth show on that tour.
I take my p... break during another classic, cannot tell which one. Some here would tar and feather me...
But I´ll be flying to JFK tomorrow. Vacation. Guess what´s in my head...
I´ll be back for "Edinburgh".

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: May 22, 2018 09:11

Is this thread about the recent live version or the studio track???

I guess it is about the recent live version.

I think 99.9% would agree that the studio track is a classic.

It also seems that the consensus is that the live versions of the past 15 years aren't a favorite. Bass solo, long extended performances.

I love the tightness of the original album track, and even the remix they did back in 1978.

It's a raw, rough track that needs to be played like that. I am not sure why it doesn't sound good live on recent tours. Even the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour gave us a less playful, less rough Miss You.

The same can be said about Start Me Up. It was never as good live as the studio track. Billy Gibbons said this about Start Me Up: it’s very difficult to find the downbeat in the intro until they finally kick it in. So true. Perhaps this downbeat is missing in some of the live versions?

Anyway, this thread is a bit pointless. Nobody hates the original Miss You. And yes, in recent years it drags on and on. It's still catchy, but that's not good enough to make a song work, and not enough to do justice to the original cut.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 22, 2018 09:36

You're right on both counts, Frenki! Even more so on Start Me Up. Which is a pity since Start Me Up is their latest smash hit. Still played frequently in sports arenas around the world. They have never made justice to it live.

Date: May 22, 2018 10:14

I really like the 2017 Miss You ! Did not like the previous versions, but I love this one. I rate it above YCAGWYW at the moment.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 22, 2018 11:33

hilary
jumpontopofmebaby
sjs12
jumpontopofmebaby

And I am not saying HTW is one I like. I just know my last Stones show was Desert Trip weekend 2. Very little crowd singing with Miss You...Nashville on Zip Code Tour....hardly any either. It is to long and been done too too many times...try something new. Ruby Tuesday? or what ever....there are way too many great Stones songs to settle for a 20 song concer
t and 17 songs being played over and over tour after tour.

I do wonder if perhaps European audiences are different based on these comments. My impression at Hyde park was that it was a very popular song and got the crowd really going.

That said, I sometimes wonder if the audience are actually watching the gig at all looking at the clips and number of people using their phones! Makes me miss the old lighter in the air days.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 22, 2018 13:00

[youtu.be]

One of my favourite Miss You versions. With Mick licking Lisa's toes and Keith and Bernhard having a cigarette while sitting on the drum riser.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2018 13:06

Yeah I appreciate Miss You ….it makes the body loose …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: May 22, 2018 22:09

Miss You is one of my favourite songs ever.

It was a highlight in Stockholm last year, I love the extended bass and sax solos.

I really want to see it in London on Friday!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 22, 2018 22:10

Imho live works fine, very fine. Glorious in the 78,81,82 and steel wheels urban jungle
Even today is a great live piece
Glastonbury's was spectacular

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home