Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: 2014 Sgt. Pepper Mono Reissue
Date: May 1, 2018 03:05

Hello everyone,

I was soliciting everyone's opinion on the new Sgt Pepper 2014 mono reissue on vinyl. (The one that's been disconinued.) For someone who already has the original American mono album of Sgt. Pepper, do I really need this new reissued mono version? I don't know whether it will be a better sounding recording especially since it's so new and it was cut from old tapes.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Re: OT: 2014 Sgt. Pepper Mono Reissue
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 1, 2018 03:30

That depends. If you want to have a pristine new and full analog cut, it doesn't get any better than the 2014 mono. Word is that it is even better sounding than an original UK 1967 first press. I have one (have the whole mono vinyl box), at it is really an organic and well-balanced experience. It is cut from the original tapes but you can't hear that the tapes are 50 years old. In fact, as described in the boxed set's book, they used vintage machines and a fully analog cutting process from machines with focus on getting every detail from the original tapes, which consequently makes the 2014 mono editions reveal more than the originals.

An original (or early) US copy, is a bit different in sound, not because of the music, but because of the machines used at the time. Some say it is a bit more 'muffled' than a UK copy. Original US copies also lacks the 'inner groove' nonsense that is on every european copy.

So, if you're in for a clean quality pressing for the future, then get the 2014 mono. If you are just interested in the music, then you have a fine alternative already.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 1, 2018 07:34

I have my sister's mono LP from 1967 (US), and that's my go-to version. It can't be beat, really. All of her Beatles LPs, which I have, were mono (I don't think she knew the difference, she just grabbed), and they still sound incredible, despite all these years. I was playing her Beatles 65 the other day. Fantastic. Even with all that reverb.

Date: May 1, 2018 11:03

I'm with Blueranger - the mono box set is beautifully presented and sounds amazing! .........We hope you have enjoyed the show........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2515
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home