Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones not able to do songs?
Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: September 23, 2005 20:45

What's all this talk about the Stones not beeing able to do songs? Like A 100 years ago, and lots of other songs. I believe they can do any songs they've made if they wanted to. I just think it's a matter of mixing what people expect to hear, som new stuff, and som obscure songs. And when they play 20 songs the options are limited. I would like to see though, setlists and venues like the Licks tour. A big big highlight to get 47 different songs at thre shows in New York!

Even though I think they could do any song they like, as Can't you hear me knocking, which nobody thought they could do without Taylor, I think Mixed Emotions and Anybody seen my baby was not that good live.....

Re: Stones not able to do songs?
Posted by: nmaillot ()
Date: September 23, 2005 20:53

Mixed Emotions rocks.
Keith is magic on this one.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 23, 2005 20:57

I disagree completely. If they were able to do all their songs live then why would they ignore so many of their hit songs. I think songs like You Got Me Rocking and Miss You are sort of the easy way out, or cruise control as some put it. When people bitch about set lists then other people say they have to please the masses its not such a good argument because there are too many hits that would please everyone, I just don't think they could pull a lot of them off live so they stick with the same snowball of hits at the end of each show. Look at how many songs on Hot Rocks have never been played live either ever or since they came out. Surely everyone would know these tunes.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: September 23, 2005 21:07

maybe maybe not...LOVING CUP??? MIDNITE RAM??? Gimme Shelter, on and on they do a few like that and it will blow people away.......i thought paint it black at the Garden was awsome!!!......they where so good on the last tour ...Monkey man ..CYHMK...i mean thats tough too out do !!! those songs where SICK!!!

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 23, 2005 21:15

JJ Flash is right. I brought this up in another thread:

Either they are too lazy to do other songs that would require more practice or they cannot play them due to physical/mental reasons.

The songs they are playing now are SO easy. Start me up? Give me a break!!

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 23, 2005 21:37

nonsense...they could play any song in their catalogue if they wanted to....question is: do they "work" live....best wishes all

Date: September 23, 2005 22:04

start me up is easy.......w/ open g ...shit i can do that.....they are not doing anything dificult..."my little 3 cord wonders" Ian Stewart said that...i guess they never have done anything really dificult...however that is not the question...we are fans and know all there stuf WE want to hear them do "SHINE A LIGHT' .........you go to 30-40 shows your going to hear the same stuff.....but i can live w/ that.......thoughts??

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 23, 2005 22:15

The songs are indeed not hard to play. They don't really do complicated stuff. It's great, but not complicated. Which makes it even better.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 23, 2005 22:30

"-which nobody thought they could do without Taylor"

Could they do "Time Waits For No One" without Taylor?
Could they do "Fingerprint File" without Taylor?
Could they do "Sway" without Taylor?
I think they could, as long as they could do "Can`t You Hear Me Knocking" without Taylor.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 23, 2005 22:35

noughties Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Could they do "Fingerprint File" without Taylor?

Not even sure if Taylor plays on that song. In any case they use to do this every night without Taylor in 75.

And its not a question of a song being difficult to play, I just think there are certain songs they can't do. Certainly there are songs that Keith can't play anymore.

Date: September 23, 2005 22:47

if they can play LOVE TRAIN the could play Motzart paino con. #2...they could do Fingerprint file...

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: September 23, 2005 22:57

noughties Wrote:
> "-which nobody thought they could do without
> Taylor"
>
> Could they do "Time Waits For No One" without
> Taylor?
> Could they do "Fingerprint File" without Taylor?
> Could they do "Sway" without Taylor?
> I think they could, as long as they could do
> "Can`t You Hear Me Knocking" without Taylor.

They have indeed played Fingerprint File back in '75 when RW was "on loan" from The Faces.

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: September 23, 2005 23:18

Jig Saw Puzzle. Since the lyrics are too long. Difficult to Mick to remember them!

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: September 23, 2005 23:24

This arguement is easy to settle. Can they play these other songs... YES. Look at the set lists form the theater shows they did on the last tour. I saw the theater show in Boston and they pulled songs out of no where. AND THEY SOUNDED GREAT!!!

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 23, 2005 23:51

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> nonsense...they could play any song in their
> catalogue if they wanted to....question is: do
> they "work" live....best wishes all

Really? Then why don't they?????

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 24, 2005 02:15

sladog Wrote:
> Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > nonsense...they could play any song in their
> > catalogue if they wanted to....question is:
> do
> > they "work" live....best wishes all
>
> Really? Then why don't they?????
>
>
>

you better ask them....i'm not in the band....best to all you nutters

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 24, 2005 02:24

cruise control, folks. cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuise control.

Date: September 24, 2005 03:25

I think it is a combination of all of these things that people have suggested.I do believe that there are certain songs they might not be able to pull off but,they have done quite a number of songs over the years.They could do Moonlight Mile in '99 but,now they can't anymore?They couldn't do She's So Cold from '89-'03 but,now all of a sudden,they can?I refuse to believe No Use In Crying is too complex to be performed on stage.People would be saying the same thing about Dance & Might As Well Get Juiced if they hadn't done them.Some songs,I believe,they do not want to do such as songs from the 60's like Mother's Little Helper.Jagger probably doesn't want to get on stage and sing "what a drag it is getting old".As Tears Go By might not go over too well among casual fans.Most of Hot Rocks has been done '89-now.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: September 24, 2005 04:41

They can do it and I just dont get it they just lack confindence. Shame isnt it?

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: September 24, 2005 11:52

Some songs are really good when they play it live, some don`t!
Ive got the bluess, and Some girls sounded great to me live, but Might As Well Get Juiced, doesn`t, altough i like the song on the cd.
And what i read and hear about it for a couple of years now, that the stones themselves have a pretty high standard for songs, before they do it on stage, when you read the rehearsel list, and mabey you been lucky to listen to it, they always in for new songs, but somehow it doesn`t work for them.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: September 24, 2005 15:53

They are among the best musicians in the world and they can play whatever they want whenever they want.

Date: September 24, 2005 15:56

I actually can't stand the studio version of Might As Well Get Juiced but,I enjoy the live version.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 24, 2005 21:07

The (Friday) evening before the first opening concert in Boston MA the Stones rehearsed, among others, Memory Motel. It was a clear, smooth rendition, so how come they haven't played it yet so far?
I think it's all a matter of compromise between the band members. The Stones can play anything if they want to. They only need to find themselves committed.
Remember Keith not being able to get grip on CYHMK during rehearsals for BtB. It pissed him off, so the result was the song being included in the Licks Tour!
Take the Stones as they come. It's a luxury that they still come so let's enjoy every minute off it!

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: September 26, 2005 11:35

J-J-Flash:

What songs is it that Keith can't play anymore?

Date: September 26, 2005 12:13

<What's all this talk about the Stones not beeing able to do songs? Like A 100 years ago, and lots of other songs. I believe they can do any songs they've made if they wanted to.>

If you see the rehearsal of "Slave" on the Four Flicks-documentary, then you'll understand how difficult it is for them to do certain songs.

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: September 26, 2005 12:44

In one ofthe interviews with Charlie Watts he mentioned that they rehearse songs which they found out are not any good in concert. IF you do not feel well playing a song live you should not do it perhaps.
As they try so many songs they know what's working live and what's not wokring live. At the end it comes again to the point that 90% or even more would like to have the hits delivered they know.

Date: September 26, 2005 13:02

Agree, but for instance, a jam-song like Slave simply cries to be played live, but...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1533
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home