Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Durham, NC Show
Posted by: Apt. #9 ()
Date: September 22, 2005 16:37

This will be my first stones show, though, I have only been a real fan for about three years, I know quite a bit about the band, especailly Keith, hence the screen name. But I have a question about this show, well, atleast tell me what you think all you experienced Stones fans.

This will be their first show in NC for the tour and their first in Durham, a college town, surrounded by Chapel Hill Raleigh, and othe rmetro ares in NC.

Do yall think that the crowd/band will all be rocking that night? I am sure the boys will, but how bout the crowd. I ask this because this is their first time in this are of NC since 1994 on the VL tour. Does it have the potential to be a good crowd?

Someone with some good knowledge of these things, let me know.

By the way, anyone on here going to be at this one?

Thanks, Stones fans.

"When I was a junkie I learned to ski, and I recorded Exile on Mainstreet" Keith Richards

Re: Durham, NC Show
Date: September 22, 2005 19:53

Hello, anyone there?

Date: September 22, 2005 20:16

if the fans are anything like they are at Duke basketball games you're in for a wild show.
its likely however that most of the audience will be older than college age.
I'm gonna see the Charlotte show in about a month!
DR ps you'll have a great time, enjoy!

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: September 22, 2005 21:03

I know there are 21 Shidoobeans On Stage so there will be plenty of rocking behind them.

Date: September 22, 2005 21:31

I've been to every NC show since 89
Always a very fun crowd. Laid back and partying. They come when fall season arrrives and it's nice weather.
Check out BVs review for Charlotte 97 Ericsson Stadium and you'll see.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: September 23, 2005 00:23

I've never been to a show in NC, but I will be at the Durham show. The stadium is almost the exact size and a very similar layout to the stadium for the Hartford show. If the crowd is half as into the show as the Hartford crowd was, you are in for a hell of a time. In fact, I think you picked a good tour for your first Stones shows, and I predict you will be blown away. Be sure to post your impressions of your first Stones concert after the show.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 23, 2005 00:36

Okay Apt. #9 - I assume you picked the name based on the song KR sang during the Barbs tour - question to test your mettle: who wrote that song (no help from the audience, please!)....

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: September 23, 2005 01:14

The crowd will really be rocking if they attend the beer festival in town that day!!! Wish I could get there!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 23, 2005 02:26

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay Apt. #9 - I assume you picked the name based
> on the song KR sang during the Barbs tour -
> question to test your mettle: who wrote that song
> (no help from the audience, please!)....

Oooh, I know, I know!

Recorded when he was without a passport, not that that helps answer the question.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 23, 2005 02:47

I'll be there too!

Never been to the stadium (live in CH). What's the best way to get there near a parking lot?

Date: September 23, 2005 02:58

Too easy, and without looking ti up, I know...the late Tammy Wynette. Now there was a country singer right there.

The copy I have downloaded is just Keith on guitar and someone ( I assume Ian, on the ivories). It sounds like a cheap recording, so I am sure it was when Keith was hold up in Canada after the bust in the late 70's.

Thanks for all the info. I am a huge Stones fan, much like the rest of the folks here. The band I am in plays mostly classic rock, southern rock and country, but I was able to convince some of the guys to play some Stones songs, like, Brown Sugar, we don't have a sax player, but our percussionist plays harmonica as well, he uses the low F harmonica, and it sounds unreal. We also do a great version of HTW, that's when I get to sing my Keith backup vocals, cause lets face it, Keith lost his high harmony a while back, and I never had it, but if he can sing the way he does and get away with it, I figure I could too. We also do Just My Imagination, the crowd loves that one, I knew they would.

I really look forward to rocking that night, I will be there with the drummer in my band. By the way, I have ticks for Section B3, row 15, what kinda view might I expect?

Again, thanks for the info.

"When I was a junkie I learned to ski, and I recorded Exile on Mainstreet" Keith Richards

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 23, 2005 03:44

Are you sure Tammy wrote it? I know she recorded it, but a quick search on Google revealed the names Bobby Austin and Johnny Paycheck (great name!). See for instance here: [www.kcmuseum.org].

Date: September 23, 2005 03:49

Koen Wrote:
> Are you sure Tammy wrote it? I know she recorded
> it, but a quick search on Google revealed the
> names Bobby Austin and Johnny Paycheck (great
> name!). See for instance here: .

Don't forget Fuzzy.

Date: September 23, 2005 04:20

my bad, i just put who wrote recorded it first, i believe, but you're right on the authors.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: September 23, 2005 05:19

Hey Apt#9,
Fred Hardin & the Savannah Gang will be there. We will be in B3 Row 18 & 20. You should have a great view of the B-stage when they move out there. The sound should be perfect there and not a bad view of the whole set up. We have never seen the boys in NC, but are looking forwards to it. The pre-parties going on all over should put the crowd in a good mood but with it being a dry venue, that might bring the buzzes down during the Stones show. I hope that is not the case, cause everyone knows buzzin people are a great crowd! I hope we get to meet. We are setting up a shidoobee tailgate party in one of the parkinglots. Look us up if you get the chance!
Fred Hardin
SAV/GA
Pleased to meet you........

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 23, 2005 05:46

Tammy is generally regarded as the "songwriter" for Apt. #9 - it's actually an "uncredited" lyric song.

Date: September 23, 2005 07:43

StonesTod Wrote:
> Tammy is generally regarded as the "songwriter"
> for Apt. #9 - it's actually an "uncredited" lyric
> song.

I thought that Tammy bought it, I could be wrong.

Date: September 23, 2005 07:52

was just checking around online it is appears to be an uncredited lyric. no matter - the boy answered the question properly, essentially, and so he's welcomed into the club...think I'll put on some Barbs in celebration...

Date: September 23, 2005 08:19

StonesTod Wrote:
--------------------------------
>it is appears to be an uncredited lyric. no matter

Really, then who won the Grammy for Apt #9? (songwriting)

Austin topped billboard with the album of the year, title song: "Apartment # 9 BY BOBBY AUSTIN." It charted at the top for 26 weeks before Tammy Wynette covered the song and subsequently had her first #1 hit!

Bob's label was Tally.

In a recent article (4/28/98) in Country weekly Tammy Wynette story by Daniel P. Ray - The quote is made by Johnny PayCheck as stating "Her first hit was the Johnny Paycheck written Apt #9, released in 1966." Whenever Tammy and I worked together she would always do Apt #9." Paycheck said "she knew I'd be listening and she'd dedicated it to me. It made me feel great that my song was so instrumental in getting her record deal with Epic. Let it be known that Bobby Austin wrote that song, using his wife's name on the label Fern Foley (I have a 45!) and Johnny Paycheck. He wrote one line and Bob shared the credit with Johnny and Fuzzy being the guy he is.

Of course being the guy he is, it's not surprising that its attributed to Wynette 30 years on.

But as Shakespeare said, what's in a name?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-23 08:37 by camper88.

Date: September 23, 2005 18:57

interesting - wonder why nowhere online can you find a lyric attribution to Austin then....??

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: September 23, 2005 19:24

Johnny Paycheck is best known for his 70s hits, "Take this Job and Shove It", "Colorado Kool-Aid", and "I'm the Only Hell (My Mama Ever Raised)", but if you're a fan of real sh*t-kickin, honky-tonk Country music, look for a couple of compilations of his early 60s recordings on the Little Darlin label: The Beginning, On His Way, and The Gospel Truth. Fantastic stuff, much like George Jones, only of course without the great Jones baritone.

Karl

Date: September 23, 2005 19:34

Thanks for the info. Hoppefully, since it will be there first time playing in Durham, they will break out a few changes for the set, maybe a little "Sweet Virginia" just a fave of mine, and myabe Keith would sing one of his rockers, BTMMR or T & A, regardless of what they play, I know it will be rocking!

Posted by: JaggerMister ()
Date: September 23, 2005 19:39

Well if it's like the show I saw at Norman Oklahoma or the one at Columbia Missouri that were both on college property

THERE WAS NO BEER!!!!!!!!!

THERE WAS NO BEER!!!!!

THERE WAS NO BEER!!!!!

so I think that is a negative!!!!!!

I LIKE BEER

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 23, 2005 19:40

if you're into Johnny Paycheck...check out "the real Mr.Heartache" cd....he heavily influenced the great George Jones

Date: September 23, 2005 19:51

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> if you're into Johnny Paycheck...check out "the
> real Mr.Heartache" cd....he heavily influenced the
> great George Jones

Yes, that's another of the 'Little Darlin Records' sets. George, BTW, has a new disc out, "Hits I Missed and One I Didn't". Songs that were previously offered to him that he didn't record at the time, plus a re-recording of "He Stopped Loving Her Today".

(sorry, don't mean to take over this thread)

Karl

Date: September 23, 2005 19:59

while were on the paycheck/jones thing...has anybody ever read "i lived to tell it all" by George Jones...unbelievable chaotic story....he's a true rocknroller....best to all

Date: September 23, 2005 20:18

Hey Leonard,

I noticed the other day you were listening to He Stopped Loving Her and Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell (aka Hard to Beat).

Brother, you are my kind of man! Those might be the two greatest songs of all-time!!

:-)

Karl

Date: September 23, 2005 20:23

>The pre-parties going on all over should put the crowd in a good mood but with it being a dry venue, that might bring the buzzes down during the Stones show>

Does this mean there will be no Budwiser there!!
I don't like that part!!!

Date: September 23, 2005 20:26

KSIE Wrote:
> Hey Leonard,
>
> I noticed the other day you were listening to He
> Stopped Loving Her and Your Pretty Face Is Going
> to Hell (aka Hard to Beat).
>
> Brother, you are my kind of man! Those might be
> the two greatest songs of all-time!!
>
> :-)
>
> Karl

Hey Karl...yeah those lyrics to "he stopped loving her today" are amazingly sad...i dont think to many singers could pull that one off like Mr.Jones...as for the ig-ster...well, the "raw power" album..words cannot describe its greatness...best to ya

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: September 23, 2005 21:08

Donkey Girl Scout, from everything I have read and seen it says that this is a private university and there for NO ALCOHOL SALES!! It sucks when you have a good buzz going and have to quit and then have several hours to wait before the Stones come on stage. That tends to make the enthusiazim deminish quite a bit. I hope I am wrong and that they will have Beer sales. I know it will greatly increase the crowds participation!
Fred Hardin
SAV/GA
Pleased to meet you........

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1575
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home