Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Moondance reissue
Date: November 1, 2013 16:51

Has anyone heard the expanded Moondance that came out a couple of weeks ago? Certainly not my favorite Van Morrison record, but it has some great numbers on it, and I'm always curious to hear outtakes & alternates. I'd love some feedback from any of you who have had a chance to hear the "new" stuff.

Re: OT: Moondance reissue
Date: November 1, 2013 16:53

It is my favourite Van album, but I haven't heard the expanded version yet..

Thanks for the heads up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-01 16:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 1, 2013 16:58

Sure thing, DP.

OT: Moondance remaster
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 4, 2013 19:29

Just picked up the 2cd version of Moondance this morning. The remaster job on smiling smileythe original album sounds superb. Haven't got into the extras disc yet. Think the 5 disc version, as in most things like this, would be overkill. Van was in a special space when he made this album.

Re: OT: Moondance remaster
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2013 20:00

Let us know what the bonus tracks are like.

While this is a great album, I prefer Astral Weeks.

Date: November 4, 2013 22:07

Fantastic album! thumbs up

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: November 4, 2013 22:23

I don't remember the exact track listing, but I've always thought that from song 1 to about 6 or 7, that was the among the best runs of any album, all time.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: November 4, 2013 22:33

Thanks for posting, will have to check the remastered Moondance out. Absolutely love Astral Weeks though, perhaps because it was the first Van Morrisson album I ever heard and bought.Van and the Stones are almost in a tie for being my favorite artists. Excluding Ludwig van of course!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 4, 2013 23:32

I downloaded the 4CD version from a torrent site(I would love to have the bluray audio disc!) There are no new unreleased tracks I don't think...just lots and lots of alternate takes and early mixes...amazing how different tempo's and keys they played some of these songs in before they decided on the versions on the album.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 5, 2013 02:02

Disc 2 on the 2 disc version is very nice. Caravan is awesome. There are a couple of "new" songs, at least as sung by Van. "Nobody Love's You When You're Down & Out" & "I Shall Sing".

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: November 5, 2013 02:14

Oh, it's your signature photo. I was wondering why, if you were talking about Moondance, why you would have a photo of Night Beat.

Cooke's I Thank God has a great cover.

Anyways . . . .

EDITED: UNDERLINED TITLES

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 02:19 by MILKYWAY.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 5, 2013 03:36

i'm just playing it right now for a review i'm gonna write -here is the press release/track list (the full box set is really nice)

MOONDANCE SHINES BRIGHTER

Van Morrison’s Classic Revisited With Five-Disc Deluxe Edition Loaded With Unreleased Takes From The Sessions, Including the Lost Track “I Shall Sing”

The Newly Remastered Album Also Available As Single Disc
And As Double Disc Featuring 11 Unreleased Tracks

All Three Available September 30 From Warner Bros. Records

LOS ANGELES – In the fall of 1969, Van Morrison entered the studio to record MOONDANCE, the album that would soon become his commercial breakthrough and one of the most beloved recordings of all time. Fans will soon have the rare opportunity to experience this classic album like never before with the newly remastered and expanded version featuring 50 unreleased tracks including studio outtakes of favorites like “Caravan, “Moondance” and “Into The Mystic,” plus multiple takes and a final mix of the unheard track “I Shall Sing.”.

Three different physical versions of MOONDANCE will be available from Warner Bros. Records on September 30. Digital versions will also be available.

Deluxe Edition – 4 CDs/1 Blu-Ray Audio
· Newly remastered version of the original album
· Three discs of previously unreleased music from the sessions
· Blu-Ray Audio disc with high-resolution 48K 24 bit PCM stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound audio of original album (no video)
· Presented in a linen-wrapped folio
· Includes a booklet with liner notes from Alan Light and original engineer Elliot Scheiner
· Retail price, $69.98

Expanded Edition – 2 CDs
· 11 previously unreleased tracks (highlights from the Deluxe Edition)
· Retail price, $24.98

Standard Edition – 1 CD
· Retail price, $11.98

The Deluxe Edition unearths an amazing trove of unreleased gems that take the listener right alongside Morrison and his band in studio. There are multiple, often lengthy, takes from the recording sessions of nearly every track found on the 1970 original, including “Glad Tidings,” “Brand New Day” and “Come Running.” There are also early takes of “I’ve Been Working,” a song that would appear later that year on His Band And The Street Choir. The early version included here is quite different from the official album version. The Deluxe Edition also includes a Blu-Ray audio disc with high-resolution stereo and surround mixes of the original album, mixed by original engineer Elliot Scheiner, who also oversaw the new re-mastering of the album.

One of the most significant revelations is “I Shall Sing,” a Morrison original that was completed but left off the album. There are multiple takes of the song (spread across six tracks), plus a final mix of the finished song. While no one has
heard Morrison’s version, Art Garfunkel had a Top 40 hit with the song, which appeared on his 1973 solo debut.

Following its release by Warner Bros. in February 1970, MOONDANCE would later be certified triple platinum by the RIAA, inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame (1999) and named #65 on the list of the “500 Greatest Albums of All
Time” published by Rolling Stone (2003).

For more information about MOONDANCE, please contact Jason Elzy at jason.elzy@wmg.com or 818-238-6220.

MOONDANCE: DELUXE EDITION
Track Listing

Disc One – Original Album Remastered
1. “And It Stoned Me”
2. “Moondance”
3. “Crazy Love”
4. “Caravan”
5. “Into The Mystic”
6. “Come Running”
7. “These Dreams Of You”
8. “Brand New Day”
9. “Everyone”
10. “Glad Tidings”

Disc Two – All Previously Unreleased
1. “What do we call this Van?”
2. “Caravan” (Take 1)
3. “Caravan” (Takes 2-3)
4. “Caravan” (Take 4)
5. “Caravan” (Takes 5-6)
6. “Caravan” (Take 7)
7. “Caravan” (Take 8)
8. “I’ve Been Working” (Early Version Take 1)
9. “I’ve Been Working” (Early Version Take 2)
10. “I’ve Been Working” (Early Version Take 5)
11. “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out” (Outtake)
12. “I Shall Sing” (Take 1)
13. “I Shall Sing” (Takes 2-3)
14. “I Shall Sing” (Takes 4-6)
15. “I Shall Sing” (Take 7)
16. “I Shall Sing” (Takes 8-12)
17. “I Shall Sing” (Take 13)

Disc Three – All Previously Unreleased
1. “Into The Mystic” (Take 10)
2. “Into The Mystic” (Take 11)
3. “Into The Mystic” (Takes 12-13)
4. “Into The Mystic” (Takes 14-16)
5. “Into The Mystic” (Take 17)
6. “Brand New Day” (Take 1)
7. “Brand New Day” (Take 2)
8. “Brand New Day” (Take 3)
9. “Brand New Day” (Take 4)
10. “Brand New Day” (Takes 5-6)
11. “Brand New Day” (Take 7)
12. “Glad Tidings (Take 1)
13. “Glad Tidings (Takes 2-4)
14. “Glad Tidings (Takes 7-8)
15. “Glad Tidings (Take 9)
16. “Caravan Redo” (Takes 1-2)
17. “Caravan Redo” (Take 3)

Disc Four – All Previously Unreleased
1. “Come Running” (Take 1)
2. “Come Running” (Take 2)
3. “Come Running” (Takes 3-4)
4. “Come Running” (Take 5)
5. “Come Running” (“Rolling On 4”)
6. “Moondance” (Take 21)
7. “Moondance” (Take 22)
8. “Glad Tidings” (Alt. Version)
9. “These Dreams Of You” (Alt Version)
10. “Crazy Love” (Remix)
11. “Glad Tidings” (Remix 1)
12. “Glad Tidings” (Remix 2)
13. “Glad Tidings” (Remix 3)
14. “Caravan” (Remix)
15. “These Dreams Of You” (Remix)
16. “I Shall Sing” (Mix)

Disc Five - Blu-Ray Audio disc with high-resolution 48K 24 bit PCM stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound audio of original album (no video)

MOONDANCE: EXPANDED EDITION
Track Listing

Disc One – Original Album Remastered

Disc Two – All Previously Unreleased
1. “Caravan” (Take 4)
2. “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out” (Outtake)
3. “Into The Mystic” (Take 11)
4. “Brand New Day” (Take 3)
5. “Glad Tidings” (Alt. Version)
6. “Come Running”(Take 2)
7. “Crazy Love” (Mono Mix)
8. “These Dreams Of You” (Alt. Version)
9. “Moondance” (Take 22)
10. “I Shall Sing” (Take 7)
11. “I’ve Been Working” (Early Version, Take 5)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 03:37 by hbwriter.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 5, 2013 06:02

I got an 1 disk version (Original Album Remastered) last month.
Sound quality was very good.

confused smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 5, 2013 07:03

I'd love a copy of the 4-disc version with all the sessions, though disc 5 would be useless, as I don't have a Blu-Ray player. Haven't listened to Moondance in quite a while.

Funny story above about Van not approving it, and typical. For someone who has written about "enlightenment" and evening meditation" and all that spiritual stuff, he certainly comes across as a surly, misanthropic piece of work not only to journalists and fans, but also even to fellow musicians.

He also doesn't own the rights to Astral Weeks? Funny, but he seems to have been involved in a live re-recording and re-release a few years back.

Ah, well. Van is quite the contradiction--but what can you expect from a man who organizes a tribute album to himself (Vain Morrison?). Not only does he choose the performers who will sing and play on his own tribute album, but he also co-produces it.

I'd rather have the box sets and remasters.

Date: November 5, 2013 07:38

stonehearted
I'd love a copy of the 4-disc version with all the sessions, though disc 5 would be useless, as I don't have a Blu-Ray player. Haven't listened to Moondance in quite a while.

Funny story above about Van not approving it, and typical. For someone who has written about "enlightenment" and evening meditation" and all that spiritual stuff, he certainly comes across as a surly, misanthropic piece of work not only to journalists and fans, but also even to fellow musicians.

He also doesn't own the rights to Astral Weeks? Funny, but he seems to have been involved in a live re-recording and re-release a few years back.

Ah, well. Van is quite the contradiction--but what can you expect from a man who organizes a tribute album to himself (Vain Morrison?). Not only does he choose the performers who will sing and play on his own tribute album, but he also co-produces it.

I'd rather have the box sets and remasters.

van does not own the rights to astral weeks, moondance, his band and the street choir or saint dominic's preview. the album astral weeks has never been re-released. van did the live re-recording so that he could own the songs in some form. van even asked fans not to buy this expanded moondance as it was done without his permission.

Date: November 5, 2013 08:16

That's like asking people to stop listening to Brown-Eyed Girl because of Bert Berns/Bang Records--and it seems for several albums afterward he didn't learn his lesson about bad record deals or management.

I recall a magazine interview from the early 90s where Van was complaining about how Them got screwed over by their record company because he and the band didn't realize that the record company was making them pay for all the limo rides and parties and so on. Then along comes Bert Berns. Then he loses the rights to several albums afterward. How many times did Van need to go through this before he learned?

At any rate, it's laughably absurd that he thinks his fans will want to fight his management and copyright issues for him. People just want quality product. And if there's a box set of a classic album sitting in the bins, who can resist?

I'm assuming Van owns the rights to Tupelo Honey. He should put out a 5-CD version of that, and really clean up. And the fans would love it--which is likely the reason he wouldn't do it.

Date: November 5, 2013 08:44

stonehearted
That's like asking people to stop listening to Brown-Eyed Girl because of Bert Berns/Bang Records--and it seems for several albums afterward he didn't learn his lesson about bad record deals or management.

I recall a magazine interview from the early 90s where Van was complaining about how Them got screwed over by their record company because he and the band didn't realize that the record company was making them pay for all the limo rides and parties and so on. Then along comes Bert Berns. Then he loses the rights to several albums afterward. How many times did Van need to go through this before he learned?

At any rate, it's laughably absurd that he thinks his fans will want to fight his management and copyright issues for him. People just want quality product. And if there's a box set of a classic album sitting in the bins, who can resist?

I'm assuming Van owns the rights to Tupelo Honey. He should put out a 5-CD version of that, and really clean up. And the fans would love it--which is likely the reason he wouldn't do it.

most of vans catalog is out of print now. there was a reissue program a few years ago on vans current label at the time but when he released a new album and felt like the label didn't promote the new release enough he pulled the plug on the reissue program and got them all taken out of print again. i have a few of the reissues and they go for big bucks on ebay. i have It's Too Late to Stop Now and i've seen it go for $50+ on ebay.

Date: November 5, 2013 08:56

Incredible! Out of print? I haven't looked in the Van section of the record bins in quite a while.

He certainly does seem hell-bent on self-sabotage, the way he operates. Just too much of a bitter alcoholic recluse to be handling his own business affairs.

You mean Veedon Fleece, Wavelength, and Into The Music--none of those are available on CD?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2013 09:06

MOJO 240 ----- November 2013

ROCKMAN

Date: November 5, 2013 09:11

Van performed I Shall Sing in concert subsequent to his studio recording and before Art Garfunkel's version.

Date: November 5, 2013 09:42

stonehearted
Incredible! Out of print? I haven't looked in the Van section of the record bins in quite a while.

He certainly does seem hell-bent on self-sabotage, the way he operates. Just too much of a bitter alcoholic recluse to be handling his own business affairs.

You mean Veedon Fleece, Wavelength, and Into The Music--none of those are available on CD?

current prices on amazon for the ones you asked about

veedon fleece
[www.amazon.com]

wavelength
[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

into the music
[www.amazon.com]

into the music is the only one still in print because he never got around to having it reissued before he ended the program so the original version was never taken out of print

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2013 09:51

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 5, 2013 10:22

Moondance is Van the Mans Harvest....I think it includes one (1) suberb song (into the mystic) just like Harvest does (Are you ready for the country)...

I want reissues of Astral Weeks and His band and the street choir for Gods sake...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 5, 2013 15:31

Love the Moondance album.

I just don't "get" Astral Weeks" - kinda like some people don't "get" Pet Sounds or Exile or Born To Run.

Date: November 5, 2013 16:46

stonehearted

That was my reaction reading this too...unbelievable. Must be available as downloads though, right?

Date: November 5, 2013 16:49

keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

veedon fleece
[www.amazon.com]

wavelength
[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

into the music
[www.amazon.com]

into the music is the only one still in print because he never got around to having it reissued before he ended the program so the original version was never taken out of print

And using one of your links I stumbled across this, Astral Weeks only $6.99.

Astral doesn't seem out of print:

[www.amazon.com]

Date: November 5, 2013 16:51

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

veedon fleece
[www.amazon.com]

wavelength
[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

into the music
[www.amazon.com]

And using one of your links I stumbled across this, Astral Weeks only $6.99.

Astral doesn't seem out of print:

[www.amazon.com]

yes astral weeks is still in print because warner bros. owns it not van. the warner bros. owned albums are all still in print, or were until 2012.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: November 5, 2013 17:32

Too Late to Stop Now is hard to find, I can attest to that. Never even been on itunes.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 5, 2013 17:39

I prefer Veedon Fleece and Astral Weeks.

Moondance is good thou.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: November 5, 2013 19:00

odean73
I prefer Veedon Fleece and Astral Weeks.

Moondance is good thou.

Saint Dominic's Preview one of my favorite Van the Man records

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 19:01 by reg thorpe.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home