Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Rock and roll regrets
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 5, 2018 15:31

Here are a few of mine:

Had the chance and missed seeing Elvis, Stevie Ray, and BB King (not on the same bill!).

My folks wouldn't let me go see George Harrison with my hippie cousins when I was 13.

Let my cousin go to a pre-concert party (with my ticket) hosted by Chuck Leavell. She got to meet Charlie.

What about you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-06 17:13 by Elmo Lewis.

Re: Rock and roll regrets
Date: March 5, 2018 15:42

Led Zeppelin at the O2 (won the lottery, couldn't make the trip)
Eric Clapton
The Police
Mötorhead
Chuck Berry
Ronnie Wood, Slash and Ozzy Osbourne (together!)
Emmylou Harris
Madness
Miles Davis
Ray Charles
The Who
The Kinks
David Bowie

Ah, the list is long... sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 16:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 5, 2018 15:47

...never having seen Led Zeppelin, Tina Turner, Tom Petty, or Prince in concert.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 5, 2018 15:50

No.
What’s done, is done.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 5, 2018 15:51

Bowie (who i missed out on seeing at Leeds Town & Country Club in the 00s), now the o2 academy, capacity less than 2000

Prince (on what turned out to be last UK dates at Manchester Academy, wish I'd made the effort rather than thinking 'there'll be other times' although I did see him in 1992 at Maine Rd)

Looking on the bright side, acts I'm glad I made the effort when I did....

Leonard Cohen (twice, Manchester/Leeds, last two tours)
Lou Reed (Berlin in its entirety, Manchester Apollo)
Iggy and the Stooges (Hammersmith Apollo 2010 reunoion prior to Scott and Ron's untimely deaths)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 16:01 by yorkshirestone.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 5, 2018 15:54

I was 15 when George Harrison toured in '74, and at the time, I really didn't own any albums that weren't Beatles albums. I'm still amazed that I didn't make any effort to get tickets, especially considering it wasn't even sold out. I know most people say the show sucked (including the friend I was at the Wings concert with less than 18 months later), but I still wish I had seen him in person.

Other than that .... I don't know. I kinda wish I had traveled to Europe to see the Velvet Underground reunion tour in 1993, but I was living in New York at the time. I figured surely they would play a few shows in the city where it all began. They never did, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 15:55 by tatters.

Date: March 5, 2018 16:04

Bowie. Didn't have any opportunities though due my age, but still a shame.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: March 5, 2018 16:10

Bowie
Queen
Led Zeppelin
Beatles (although it would have been impossible. I was too young)
Dylan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 18:27 by daniel t.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 5, 2018 16:10

The Rolling Stones with Brian Jones
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Faces
The Byrds - 60s line up
Love - original group 65-67
Traffic
Cream
The Doors
Pink Floyd 1967
Ella Fitzgerald

I've more or less seen everyone else that I wanted to see.

One major decision was made in December 1977 when I could either have gone to see The Who at Kilburn Gaumont or queue up for tickets to see the Sex Pistols with Sid Vicious at Brunel University, Uxbridge. I chose the Pistols as I'd seen The Who about 8 times by then.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 18:09 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 5, 2018 16:32

I pretty much saw every band I've ever wanted to see, except for The Clash... definitely regret missing out on seeing them.

Date: March 5, 2018 16:45

Would have loved to see the Clash, but I was too young (not counting the Cut The Crap-tour).

Date: March 5, 2018 16:48

Prince

Led Zeppelin

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 5, 2018 16:52

Stones No Security tour
The Beatles

Jimi Hendrix

Cream

Doors

Led Zep

lots more...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 16:53 by schillid.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 5, 2018 16:53

And regrets - I'v had a few....
Never got to see Led Zeppelin, and Stones related...I had tickets for the boys at Madison Square Garden in 1981, got the flu and gave my ticket to a friend, which I regret deeply.Should have just gotten heavily medicated and gone! For weeks after the show, my friends kept reminding me of all the greatness I had missed! sad smiley But at least I saw one of the stadium gigs that year, which was my second Stones show, having first seen them in 1978. I would go on to see them several more times over the years, but I still would love to see them at The Garden if they ever play there again. As one of my friends said, "The Stones OWN the Garden!"

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 5, 2018 16:54

walking past the tent Jeff Buckley was playing a mid-afternoon set in at the Reading Festival. Hearing him, but got distracted by a friend, didn't go in & of course never got another chance...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:01

Adrian-L
walking past the tent Jeff Buckley was playing a mid-afternoon set in at the Reading Festival. Hearing him, but got distracted by a friend, didn't go in & of course never got another chance...

So, to make you feel worse, Jeff was one of the most intense performers I ever saw in my life. He could take you out to the edge of beyond, leave you there to simmer and then bring you back to earth slowly. Saw him three times - Highbury 94, Bristol 95 and Shepherd's Bush Empire 95.
He died on my birthday, May 29 1997 and it was absolutely horrible.

Date: March 5, 2018 17:05

Also regret never having seen the Who in their classic incarnation. Saw them in 1989, so at least I saw them with the Ox but that was an atypical Who tour with all the horns and backups, Pete not playing much electric, etc. Still enjoyed it very much though!

A related regret - the friend I was going to The Who with got hung up somewhere and we left home later than I wanted to. Actually missed most of the first half Tommy segment; walked into the stadium just as they were ripping into We're Not Gonna Take It, and then it was intermission time and second half.

Another regret was a band I DID see; a friend dragged me to see Rush on their Power Windows tour. I know they're very technically skilled but I was still bored to death. And they were so deafeningly loud that it was just a wall of noise unless you put your fingers in your ears. Then you could tell what they were playing.

Also regret not getting to see Dylan any time recently. Saw him in 1981, 1987, 1988 & 1990 but I'm curious to see him in his more recent incarnation.

And more pertinent to this forum, I regret not having seen the Stones any more recently than 2006. Still a huge fan but on all subsequent tours, the universe just didn't let the stars align properly to make it possible. There's still hope if they come to the US again maybe next year!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:05

Chuck Berry
Bill Wyman

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:09

The Faces (in the 1970's).
Jeroen

Date: March 5, 2018 17:10

Thought of one more - Never got to see an entire Grateful Dead show. Went to see them on what turned out to be Jerry's last tour at Giants Stadium but my unfortunate choice of companion was a guy who just got too wierded out by all the tripping freaks, he was having panic attacks or something and I gave in to leaving after just a few songs. Still not really sure what they dude's problem was. At least I got to see Garcia for a little bit.

Date: March 5, 2018 17:12

corriecas
The Faces (in the 1970's).
Jeroen

Yeah, I would have LOVED to have seen the Faces! I was a huge fan, but I was only 14 when they broke up and didn't have the ways and means to start doing concerts yet. Stones in 1978 would be my first big concert!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:14

two biggest for me-

not seeing the Faces with Ronnie Lane..

not seeing the Stones with Mick Taylor..

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:15

Not regretting, but a decision I've had to make in 1998 was about seeing the Stones in a stadium or Bob Dylan in a club. I choose the latter and I was not disappointed. cool smiley

Date: March 5, 2018 17:18

Cristiano Radtke
Not regretting, but a decision I've had to make in 1998 was about seeing the Stones in a stadium or Bob Dylan in a club. I choose the latter and I was not disappointed. cool smiley

I chose a wedding in LA over a 1998 Stones-show in Oslo. Tough choice.. When I got over, I was asked to be my brother in law's best man, so I guess it was worth it smiling smiley

Posted by: oxegen ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:25

Not being born in San Francisco, New York, London or Liverpool around 1945 or so. I had to settle for Cork, Ireland, in 1955.

But seriously, I have very few regrets as I have seen some great shows down the years. However, I would like to have seen CSNY at Wembley in 1974. I have seen various incarnations - CSN, C&N, Neil Young (solo, with Crazy Horse, with MG’s, Pearl Jam, PoTR), CPR, Nash solo, Stills solo etc - but never eight legs.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:26

DandelionPowderman
Cristiano Radtke

I chose a wedding in LA over a 1998 Stones-show in Oslo. Tough choice.. When I got over, I was asked to be my brother in law's best man, so I guess it was worth it smiling smiley

I hope that at least some Stones songs were played at the wedding party! grinning smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:30

Led Zeppelin
Bob Marley
The Clash

no real chance to attend a show bcause I was too young...

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:31

Lots, but most recently Leonard Cohen. I seriously considered going, but had a pretty full diary at the time and not much money left.

On the positive side I am SO glad I saw Tom Petty last summer at Hyde Park.

And I am very lucky to have seen Led Zeppelin twice. The first time I was still at school, and my mum being paranoid about me missing any education and knowing I would skive off, went and queued up at the venue to get tickets. Believe me, she would have been very out of her comfort zone!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:32

Silver Dagger
Adrian-L

So, to make you feel worse, Jeff was one of the most intense performers I ever saw in my life. He could take you out to the edge of beyond, leave you there to simmer and then bring you back to earth slowly. Saw him three times - Highbury 94, Bristol 95 and Shepherd's Bush Empire 95.
He died on my birthday, May 29 1997 and it was absolutely horrible.

damn

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:52

Living in Toronto, never got to a Stones club gig. No excuse...

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2208
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home