Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'75 Lotus stage copy at the 2018 Houston Rodeo
Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: February 28, 2018 01:46

Wonder where they got this idea?

Rodeo Houston Star Stage

Garth gives a tour of the new stage

Bummer to see they don't mention the Stones at all in the press release. Wonder if Garth will come down from the point like Mick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 01:47 by erbissell.

Re: '75 Lotus stage copy at the 2018 Houston Rodeo
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 28, 2018 03:00

erbissell
Wonder where they got this idea?

Rodeo Houston Star Stage

Garth gives a tour of the new stage

Bummer to see they don't mention the Stones at all in the press release. Wonder if Garth will come down from the point like Mick.

The original lotus stage was actually sold at Sotheby's in the 1980s (or early 1990s). But the sale had a caveat and that was that it could not be used for its original purpose! But, someone bought it? (Step up Matt Lee??)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 28, 2018 04:31

I believe Kieth moon owned it for a short time.

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 04:34 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 28, 2018 04:43

erbissell
Wonder if Garth will come down from the point like Mick.

Nothing against overweight cowboys, but unless this thing is industrial strength and built for hoisting elephants, not sure if that's a good idea.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 28, 2018 07:02

When that guy hit Huge way back in the day, he'd have a crew fly him across arenas and all kinda stuff.
He enthused about being inspired by Kiss and their stage show even tho he's a Country music star; albeit with some cross-over into pop with some of those hits.
That was probably the last thing the country music magazines and fans were expecting out of a new cowboy-hat star.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 28, 2018 07:25

........................ Earls Court Arena -- London 1976 --- Photo Nobby Clark

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 28, 2018 08:02

CaptainCorella
The original lotus stage was actually sold at Sotheby's in the 1980s (or early 1990s). But the sale had a caveat and that was that it could not be used for its original purpose! But, someone bought it? (Step up Matt Lee??)

So what happens when the stage is sold by the auction purchaser? Can a new owner do what they want with it?

Date: February 28, 2018 08:23

The Sicilian
CaptainCorella

So what happens when the stage is sold by the auction purchaser? Can a new owner do what they want with it?

(Sadly there's no big index to Sotheby's catalogues, and finding things takes a long time...)

From memory it said that you couldn't use it for performances. Presumably that meant that you could use it as a huge plant pot.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 28, 2018 19:17

Remember there were two lotus stages. One that unfolded used in LA and NY, and one that was stationary that was used in the smaller markets in 75

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: February 28, 2018 22:34

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 1, 2018 23:55

I love the Lotus stage. The original that is.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: March 9, 2018 03:19

;-) I wasn't baptised until the 16th of July 1995 although I have been playing catch up since. I have an original set of technical drawings / construction manual (seen here on the right of the picture)

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 9, 2018 15:48

mattleeuk
;-) I wasn't baptised until the 16th of July 1995 although I have been playing catch up since. I have an original set of technical drawings / construction manual (seen here on the right of the picture)

Ha - I was at that show. The support act, the Black Crowes, had to give up after 4 songs when the rain messed up their equipment. Mick anounced that it was their 10th Wembley Stadium appearance, which he said was "more times than Chelsea". Oh how the World has changed.....

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 9, 2018 16:35

Had a chat with a buddy of mine about the Rodeo "taking" the stage idea from the Stones. He pointed out that, while the idea of the moving parts of the stage is clearly similar, the "Texan" in him pointed out something that, in his eyes, makes the two stages quite different:

The Stones stage had six points and was supposedly representing a lotus flower. The Rodeo stage only has five points and is absolutely a representation of "The Star of Texas". As in: "The Lone Star State".

Interesting to be able to see a different point of view. While Stones fans see a "copy of the lotus stage" a Texan sees a "Star of Texas" using similar engineering principles.

Any IORRians from Texas care to weigh in? My buddy likes the Stones but would not consider himself a fan, per se.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: March 9, 2018 23:58

The one in Texas is, naturally, bigger >grinning smiley<

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: March 10, 2018 02:03

Bungo

It has to be, by Law. Lol

Texan here winking smiley

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: March 10, 2018 04:20

Bungo

But nevertheless Texas is much smaller than the State of Western Australia. tongue sticking out smiley

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 10, 2018 10:36

I watched 'em pop out of that thing in msg 75.
Not my favorite Stones show but it was fun and the stage was futuristic and atmospheric and all that.
And the phallus balloon for Michael to gently hump.
And costumed hand-drummers by the dozens coming down the aisles
all playing SFTD as Eric Clapton joined in on lead guitar.
Sounds a whole lot better as a story than it was as a concert,
tho I've seen Eric AND The Stones be so good it brought me to tears
on other nights.
In '72 I think the only special effect was Stevie Wonder.
kidding.
I mean the rose petal and water baptismal at the end.
I guess his special effect was a waterbowl and a pail.
It worked out fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-10 10:40 by hopkins.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 11, 2018 05:47

mattleeuk

That's funny Matt, I first saw the band on Wednesday, July 16, 1975 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco on what u once described to me as a tour of great interest for u as that was Ronnie's first tour, or something like that. U first saw them 20 years to the day after I first did.

plexi

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 11, 2018 07:25

Re: the 1975 stage: Well, you had to see the damn thing to believe it. I was at the LA show, July 10, I believe; I was only 12 (thanks, Mom and Dad, for getting me go).
I could make out bits and pieces of it when walking around the Forum, through those sections you can peek in before you enter the arena. Then when we took our seats, my goodness! What was this? It was just awesome. That and the Chinese restaurant stuff hanging from the ceiling. That metallic-silver on the outside of the lotus petals and the shroud that covered it. Best stage I've ever seen.
I can still remember the smell: cigarettes, popcorn, hot dogs, beer, and pot.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: March 12, 2018 00:43

Yes Tim, I love the 1975 tour for three reasons:

1) It was Ronnie's first
2) It has great artwork
3) I was born in 1975

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home