Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 19, 2018 23:22

Hairball
Elmo Lewis
Toru A
Elton played with great musicians like Dee Murray, Nigel Olsson, Davey Johnstone and Ray Cooper at that era.
Especially, Johnstone played a fantastic role on stage.
He sometimes performed a double role like Mick Taylor and Keith Richards.

From Johnstone's interview:
I was a huge Beatles and Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin fan long before I joined Elton.
I mean, Keith Richards influenced me so much.
If you listen to The Bitch Is Back, that is an open G tuning that is similar to what Keith uses on Brown Sugar and other tracks.
Anyway, it just took me a couple of years to really feel comfortable with the electric guitar

Davey is hughly underrated.

And for those who attend any upcoming shows, all of those guys mentioned above (except for Dee Murray -RIP) are part of the current band.

Elton Band

When I saw Elton a couple of times in the last decade (last time 2011), both Davey Johnstone and Nigel Olsson were part of the band - don't recall Ray Cooper being there, but if he was you'd think I'd remember as I've seen him with others in the past and he's highly animated on stage. Anyhow, one of the main highlights for me was watching Davey Johnstone playing all those memorable guitar parts - that opening Stonesy riff to Bitch is Back blasting out, not to mention everything else that he played on over the years...truly amazing.

Ray was with Elton (along with Nigel & Davey) when I saw him @ Caesar's in Vegas. They did "Indian Sunset" with just Elton on piano & Ray on percussion. It was a highlight. Madman was a fine record with overlooked gems.

Date: February 19, 2018 23:29

Grey seal is great and love lies bleeding one of the best ever. Great album with to much fillers. Still classic

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: February 19, 2018 23:37

GREAT Album. I'm a big fan of Madman Across the Water too.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 20, 2018 02:05

One more thing I remember,
Funeral for a Friend was the first song of that show.
It was my first time to see someone played ARP synthesizer.
And Johnstone's guitar fueled the band from the middle of the song.

I recorded that show on two hours cassette tape but my shouts were contained all over it.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-20 03:11 by Toru A.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 20, 2018 03:07

Much as I Love Yellow Brick Road, I ADORE his Blue Moves. THAT'S a double album of classics right there!

Rod

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: February 20, 2018 04:35

bitusa2012
Much as I Love Yellow Brick Road, I ADORE his Blue Moves. THAT'S a double album of classics right there!

I thought Blue Moves was clear evidence of EJ's decline into a snowy chasm out of which he took 15 years to climb.

Exception - Empty Garden

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 20, 2018 05:24

The only filler on this album is perhaps Jamaica Jerk Off. Your Sister Can't dance isn't that great but when this song ends and then Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting Starts with a slower tempo but is still rocking, it just sounds so perfect that it makes it all worth while.

I've seen that movie too and Dirty Little Girl are great. And Funeral For a Friend/ Love Lies Bleeding... What a F**cking song!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-20 07:20 by ryanpow.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 20, 2018 06:39

Slightly OT: Any love for Blue Moves? A good friend of mine who loves Elton kind of prefers this to GYBR.

Date: February 20, 2018 16:50

tomk
Slightly OT: Any love for Blue Moves? A good friend of mine who loves Elton kind of prefers this to GYBR.
IMO 'Blue Moves' is very much the end of Elton John's most creative years. 13 albums in 5 years. The core band was already in pieces. Still, those last 2 albums should still be considered art of his big push. He was getting ready to hit some real lows after this one.
I would definitely rank 'Blue Moves' over 'Rock of the Westies'.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 20, 2018 18:50

The Stings in Mad Man Across the Water remind me of Winter In parts. Which came out first?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-20 18:55 by ryanpow.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: February 20, 2018 19:26

I have to say that I hadn't realized The Who's influence on him - the opening 'Funeral...' owes a great debt to Baba O Riley. (I suppose I should look up which was released first, Quadrophenia or GYBR)

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road released Oct 5 1973
Quadrophenia released Oct 26 1973

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 20, 2018 20:45

ryanpow
The Stings in Mad Man Across the Water remind me of Winter In parts. Which came out first?

Madman...about two years earlier.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 20, 2018 20:47

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road released Oct 5 1973
Quadrophenia released Oct 26 1973

Nice month to be a music fan!

Date: February 20, 2018 22:22

I can't hear the Who in there. Elton John used an ARP to play a big stately theme; and got other sounds from the 2 oscillators, probably using the sample & hold feature. Townshend was doing something different.
Wasn't 'Baba O'Riley" on 'Who's Next"?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2169
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home