Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ron wood rips are valid
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 21, 2005 02:56

anyone saying leave woodie alone obviously haven't seen them live lately. he just plain stinks. his solos are weak and they could do themselves a service by replacing him. why is this so hard to see. he's obviously done. go see them. i mean, it's great to see the stones live. i'm not saying keith is playing perfectly, but wood can't bring it.

Re: ron wood rips are valid
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 21, 2005 03:04

I'm not really sure what his problem is...

-Is he simply fried from years of substance abuse?

-Does he have confidence issues? Does Keef beat up on him more than we know?

I know he can pull it off sometimes. I wish he was more reliable, had more distortion and was higher up in the mix.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: September 21, 2005 03:09

He did well in Chicago.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: September 21, 2005 03:28

Your NUTS!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 21, 2005 06:44

JJF, as a self appointed authority of how the band is playing on the tour how can you see Ronnie in such dim light? Perhaps your seats sucked and the mix was lousy where you were. The 2 shows I attended and the recordings I have hear don't reveal Ronnie as a major problem. Mistakes, sure he makes them every show. So does Keith. The Stones have always made musical mistakes over the years. They aren't about playing perfect. If that is what you seek, you are into the wrong band and should forget about attending concerts and be happy with the records. I respect that you are dissatisfied with Ronnie Wood as a guitarist with the Rolling Stones. I just don't agree that Ronnie is such a lousy player. Let it roll on.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 21, 2005 06:46

J.J.Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> anyone saying leave woodie alone obviously haven't
> seen them live lately. he just plain stinks. his
> solos are weak and they could do themselves a
> service by replacing him. why is this so hard to
> see. he's obviously done. go see them. i mean,
> it's great to see the stones live. i'm not saying
> keith is playing perfectly, but wood can't bring
> it.

This is such pure RUBBISH... the two shows I've seen him at he was fantastic and if you'll read the reviews of the vast majority of the shows they were great...

Maybe the setlists weren't what everyone wanted, but few dispute that the band is sounding pretty damn good...

THAT IS JUST NOT POSSIBLE IF, AS YOU CLAIM "RONNIE JUST PLAIN STINKS"... stones songs COULD NOT POSSIBLY COME OFF WELL if what you say is true...

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: September 21, 2005 06:47

Consistency is the story, not these broad-brushed depictions of JJFLASH

Date: September 21, 2005 06:48

drake Wrote:
> He did well in Chicago.

Hi 5 Drake... here's Drake, who actually SAW RONNIE THIS TOUR...

I'm beginning to think all you Ronnie Haters have been going to the wrong auditorium and maybe you saw the Goo Goo Dolls and thought they were the Stones...

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 21, 2005 06:53

Granted I haven't heard the boots and sometimes can carried away in the moment. But Wood was up in mix in St. Paul, Milwaukee, and Chicago and sounded damn good...maybe better then ever with the possibl exception of his great soloing during CYHMK, Chicago United Center, September 2002.

Date: September 21, 2005 07:08

inopeng Wrote:
> Granted I haven't heard the boots and sometimes
> can carried away in the moment. But Wood was up
> in mix in St. Paul, Milwaukee, and Chicago and
> sounded damn good...maybe better then ever with
> the possibl exception of his great soloing during
> CYHMK, Chicago United Center, September 2002.

Hi F**kin' 5, Inopeng... can I get a witness ?? You should post this on the Midnite Rambler / CYHMK thread where everyone's bashing Ronnie on those songs...

Now here's a guy who actually SAW CYHMK on the Forty Licks Tour...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 21, 2005 12:29

Oh please. You don't like his playing because he doesn't do it like Taylor. Admit it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: September 21, 2005 12:37

who's taylor?

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 21, 2005 12:41

gimme_shelter Wrote:
> who's taylor?

He is that overblown boring soloist who never could write songs and is now a sad fat washed up failure that a few people here worship

Date: September 21, 2005 12:43

Oh I love you two. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 21, 2005 12:57

I saw three shows and Ronnie played great - and I've NEVER said this about him ever before on any tour.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: September 21, 2005 13:13

I really don't understand the moaning about Ronnie. I've checked out all the video's of this tour on Rockpassion and he's playing great.
RnT

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 21, 2005 14:19

"The Stones have always made musical mistakes over the years"

Yes, filstan, especially in the middle seventies! Listen to the Love You Live album. A lot of mistakes. Noone is perfect live, even the better rock live act (the Stones) it is...

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 21, 2005 14:25

I have heard 3 boots from this tour. The band rocks, RONNIE DO GREAT JOB. Stop this unjustifiable nagging against him...

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 21, 2005 16:51

Taylor is great...fat, too, but a great melodic guitarist! But regardless, while Woody's solos may not sound as technically proficient as Taylor's, they do fit with what everyone else is playing and doing on stage. His CYHMK solos were right on during Licks (especially the aforementioned United Center show) and he's right there again on this tour. Granted he doesn't sound the way he did with Faces, but IMHO that wouldn't fit the Stone's sound today either.

Regarding his on-stage antics, he's not doing the stupid clown bit anymore. He adds levity, sure, but it hasn't been detracting from his playing.

By the way, did anyone here see him in his court-orderd make-up show for the New Barbarians at the Uptown Theatre in Milwaukee? What a blast that was!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 21, 2005 16:54

Ronnie aint as good as he was in the Faces cause it was 30 years ago! I aint as good at football as I was in 1972! At least he kept his hair!!!!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 21, 2005 17:00

I don't like Bill Gates so I think Microsoft should get rid of him. I am sure they will listen to me. And I don't like rain so I think they should stop doing that. I am sure they will listen to me.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 21, 2005 17:43

ablett Wrote:
> Ronnie aint as good as he was in the Faces cause
> it was 30 years ago! I aint as good at football as
> I was in 1972! At least he kept his hair!!!!!

Oh no, please NO MORE on hair implants!!

Ross

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 21, 2005 17:52

DON'T TEMPT ME!!!! I'll stick a post on there just to keep it going!!!!!

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: September 21, 2005 17:55

what is he supposed to play ...its not like he has allot to do?? he is doing what he is asked...plays great on his parts...they are nt doing CHMK......i mean slide on YGMR i can play!!!!! they are not doing a whole lot of fancy songs ..

Date: September 21, 2005 17:55

bv Wrote:
> I don't like Bill Gates so I think Microsoft
> should get rid of him. I am sure they will listen
> to me. And I don't like rain so I think they
> should stop doing that. I am sure they will listen
> to me.
>
> Bjornulf

GREAT answer. I agree 100%.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 21, 2005 18:00

bv Wrote:
> to me.
>
> Bjornulf

Bill Gates is Microsoft's equivalent of Jagger or Richards, the top dog who will never be gotten rid of. Ronnie is the equivalent of some Microsoft Vice President who is about to get fired for taking too many naps in his office.

Posted by: somesmerized ()
Date: September 21, 2005 18:10

bv Wrote:
> to me.
>
> Bjornulf

He he he !!! That's a pretty good one :0)

I will be attending Toronto show and I would love to hear the whole crowd go "Ron-nie ! Ron-nie ! Ron-nie ! Ron-nie !" Let's give the man some warm fuzzies, he needs some support ! Who wants to scream their lungs off for Ron with me ?

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 21, 2005 18:24

ron wood has flashes of the old ron wood. i agree with that.his consistency is the problem. where was he during the making of abb? i saw them in chicago, had great seats and thought his performance was satisfactory. during licks tour his play was inspired. b2b he was a cardboard cutout on stage. keith did all the work.just wait europe. by time they come they'll prop woodie up in the corner.

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: September 21, 2005 19:13

I think I would love very much to have Ronnie as a friend.I give him also a lot of credit for what's done to the Stones when Jagger and Richards were at odds.
On the pure musical point of view I have always believed that the choice made in 1975 by the Glimmer Twins was a bad choice.
To me the Stones music doesn't require an outstanding lead guitar player.I enjoy very much the MT era and I would have loved Taylor to remain a Rolling Stone but ,let's face it ,it's over for now 30 years!
Ronnie is not a good lead guitar player(a very good slide player however) but still he could have made it within the Stones .His main problems,to me ,are :
First he's not focused on what he's doing .Right from the start in 75 he was clowning around.
Second he's trying to copy MT 'solos (and he's not good enough to do so) instead of creating his own .I 've always thought that short and tight solos would go very well with Keith's powerful riffs.
When I read in this thread (or others ) that Ron's solo on CYHMK during the licks tour was fantastic I am getting very skeptical over people's musical acumen.
Go to Rockpassion.com,download the video "start me up" and listen to Ron .In such a simple song that he's been playing for 24 years ,he's making at least three mistakes(wrong scale ,wrong note ).
I am a guitar player myself ,not a guitar hero ,just a decent player and I find Ron's guitar playing not worthy to be part of the Rolling Stones.

But ,once again ,Ronnie is probably a nice guy!

Date: September 21, 2005 19:24

Ket Wrote:
> gimme_shelter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > who's taylor?
>
>
> He is that overblown boring soloist who never
> could write songs and is now a sad fat washed up
> failure that a few people here worship
>

Oh man, you're cold, smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home