Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
stop the setlist moaning!
Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: September 20, 2005 10:52

Is it just me getting sick of all the setlist discussions?
Is it so bad, are we so bored with the warhorses that we can't enjoy them anymore?
Isn't it just great that we still can enjoy the Stones live in 2005...stop being bored or just don't go to the show >>

Re: stop the setlist moaning!
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 20, 2005 10:57

shedooby, I pretty much agree with you. If the alternative is that the Stones don't tour, then I'll take the current setlist or a variant thereof. At the same time, looking back just as recently as 1997-99 there were some more interesting and challenging setlists compared to this tour so far.

I hope Toronto introduces some new material.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 20, 2005 11:22

camper88 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> shedooby, I pretty much agree with you. If the
> alternative is that the Stones don't tour, then
> I'll take the current setlist or a variant
> thereof. At the same time, looking back just as
> recently as 1997-99 there were some more
> interesting and challenging setlists compared to
> this tour so far.
>
> I hope Toronto introduces some new material.

So far my impression is that Forty Licks was WAY more elaborate, and A Bigger Bang is a stripped down "basic Stones" sound...

I love 'em both.

Date: September 20, 2005 11:29

CreedenceLives Wrote:
> camper88 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > shedooby, I pretty much agree with you. If
> the
> > alternative is that the Stones don't tour,
> then
> > I'll take the current setlist or a variant
> > thereof. At the same time, looking back just
> as
> > recently as 1997-99 there were some more
> > interesting and challenging setlists
> compared to
> > this tour so far.
> >
> > I hope Toronto introduces some new material.
>
>
> So far my impression is that Forty Licks was WAY
> more elaborate, and A Bigger Bang is a stripped
> down "basic Stones" sound...
>
> I love 'em both.
>
Creed,

97-99 is B2B and NS, not the Licks tour.

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: September 20, 2005 11:31

shedooby I totally agree. I think whatwe received during Licks Tour will never happen again. And by the way it was never before. We had 54 different songs during 11 concerts which is outstanding.
This time I will be happy to have one or two replacements from one to another concert I will see.
Don't forget that this tour is stated as the Tour to reach more cities with the affect of s static set list.
Very easy

Date: September 20, 2005 11:33

Rockingfan Wrote:

> Don't forget that this tour is stated as the Tour
> to reach more cities with the affect of s static
> set list.
> Very easy

I think this is exactly right. I was surprised that people didn't just see this tour as Licks II, taking Licks to the 100 cities that didn't see the first round of shows.

Hello Hershey. Is everybody feeling awright?

Posted by: The Maverick ()
Date: September 20, 2005 12:46

Yes stop moaning, we all know the setlists are not up to much. but you just have to put up with it!

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: September 20, 2005 13:09

YES YES YES

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 20, 2005 13:12

Look...I bought tickets with an expectation...that it would be a good show. I didn't pay $160 to hear the same things over and over and over again. I bought tickets for the Bigger Bang Tour..so let's hear some stuff from the album.

I bought tickets so I CAN COMPLAIN. Only those who are not going have no right to complain.

So, my statement is STOP THE STOP THE SETLIST MOANING.

Date: September 20, 2005 13:51

sladog Wrote:
I didn't pay $160 to
> hear the same things over and over and over again.

> so save your money and don't go...

Posted by: einte ()
Date: September 20, 2005 13:59

well to me it's a pitty that they got so much material that they never played live before and still come up with the same old songs but that is their choice and we have to accept it but it's strange that the stones asked their fans for their favorite setlist on rolling stones.com and don't use it so far but the tour has just startet so let's wait and see

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 20, 2005 14:23

smile: i thought that "request" for fans to submit set lists was just an exercise in how impossible it is to put together a realistic-length setlist that will feel good to play, please a reasonable percentage of the seemingly-insatiable public, showcase the Stones' unmatched catalog *and* the new album *and* leave room for I'm a Hog for You Baby. my attempt consisted of 87 numbers before i gave up, and even then i was in tears over what i was leaving out.

>> I bought tickets with an expectation...that it would be a good show. I didn't pay $160 to hear the same things over and over and over again. I bought tickets for the Bigger Bang Tour..so let's hear some stuff from the album. <<

Slagdog, since you've invested all of $160, i take it you're attending one show. it'll be a good show. they'll play some stuff from ABB. and it would be *really unusual* if they play any number over and over again at it. so you've got nothing to fret over. be glad.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 20, 2005 14:47

OK, I stop setlist moaning and finally declare that the Stones should play a setlist like this everytime they go on stage from now on because otherwise more than 90% of the concert-goers will be disappointed:

01. Start Me Up
02. You Got Me Rocking (hey, hey, you got me ... great singalong!)
03. It's Only Rock'n'Roll (great crowd-pleasing singalong too!)
04. Don't Stop (their only recent hit, a real crowd pleaser)
05. Tumbling Dice
06. Angie
07. Gimme Shelter
08. You Can't Always Get What You Want
09. Midnight Rambler
10. The Worst (Keith) (the majority of the crowds don't know this, but this gives
'em a chance for a piss break, so it's again v e r y crowd-pleasing)
11. Happy (Keith)
12. Miss You (as crowd-pleasing as it can get!)
13. Paint It Black (probably a bit too adventurous, cause it's from the Sixties
and younger fans might not be aware of it)
14. Like A Rolling Stone (great crowd-pleaser to sing along with)
15. Honky Tonk Women
16. Sympathy For The Devil (woo-hoo: great singalong!)
17. Street Fighting Man
18. Satisfaction (short version)
19. Jumping Jack Flash (short version)
20. Brown Sugar (long crowd-pleasing singalong version)

21. Encore: Satisfaction (long 10 minute version cause it's such a crowd pleaser)
22. Encore: Jumping Jack Flash (long 10 minute version cause it's such a crowd
pleaser)

Well, if they're out there to please the crowds, they should do it right: Only 1 ballad (Angie), the others crowd-pleasing crowdpleasers par excellence.
And please: NO SONGS FROM ABB! This is a new album, and the crowd does not know it. News songs will spoil the crowd because they don't know them.

This is as crowd-pleasing as it can get. But...are the actual setlists that far away from my crowd pleasing (wet) dream ?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-20 15:25 by retired_dog.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: September 20, 2005 15:08

I say complain, say what you want and be honest - maybe this will feedback to the band, you never know. Bands like to know what their fans think and this forum is quite high profile in the Google search etc - someone from the Stones camp is bound to be looking.

Date: September 20, 2005 16:08

My whole point is that we have the right to complain. We paid. Don't tell me to stop complaining. Since I paid, I have that right. It's those who don't go who should stop the whining.

One other thing...I am going to three shows. If I had known then what I know now I would only go to one. Now, I am in for hotel and travel so I am stuck.

Date: September 20, 2005 16:28

Of course you have that right sladog, my point was simply that I don't think that 63563443 different threads about this subject have added value and/or will make a difference..

Date: September 20, 2005 16:33

Well, if you go that route, let's get rid of:

What's your favorite Stones song?
What's your least favorite?
What's your favorite Ballad?
What is your favorite album?
what is your favorite underrated solo song?
etc...etc...

There are so many repeat threads in this forum it is tiring.

Date: September 20, 2005 16:36

fully agreed, let's try to be more creative all of us

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 20, 2005 16:38

Of coarse we have the right to complain, what kind of post is this? Lets kiss their asses no matter what they do. I am disappointed in this tour and have a right to come to this board and talk about it to others. Yes I will stop going to shows (never thought I'd say that) but the Stones shouldn't make promices they can't fulfill. This is coming from a person who has gone to every tour since the 70's. The Stones are laughing all the way to the band...

Mick: "Lets play You Got Me Rocking again because its easy to play, who care what they want to hear. Plus my back-up singer can sing the chorus for me."

Date: September 20, 2005 16:52

JJ Flash I think you hit it on the head. I think they are playing it safe because they can't play or remember different songs. They are only doing what they CAN do. They probably rehearsed a bunch of stuff but realized it sounded horrible and Keith/Ronnie can't hit or remember the chords and Mick can't remember the lyrics.

It's too bad, really but they are getting old.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 20, 2005 18:11

keefed Wrote:
> YES YES YES
>
>

NO NO NO (there, I've canceled yours out)

Posted by: johang ()
Date: September 20, 2005 18:28

As long as they keep this going there will be ongoing legit complaints, even though Im getting sick if it just as much as the set list.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 20, 2005 19:25

It seems they will never please everyone no matter what they do. However, they just released what many consider to be their best album since the '70s, so why aren't they playing more songs from it? I wonder if they want to be a vibrant and creative musical force, the greatest rock and roll band in the world, that puts out great, new material well into their 60's or rather just the greatest and most expensive oldies act in world. The emphasis on this tour seems to be on the latter.

Date: September 20, 2005 19:53

They can't play the new stuff live. That is what I think. They simply don't have it in them...can't get the chords or lyrics right or can't remember them to do them live. They HAVE to play the war horses because it is all they know now.

Posted by: BersaGurra ()
Date: September 20, 2005 19:58

I believe they could play more of the new stuff rather than some old gems looking at the rehearsals. But what can they play?, "Laugh, I nearly died" is the only good song except for what they play rigth now.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: September 20, 2005 20:01

ChrisM Wrote:
> I wonder if they want to be a vibrant and
> creative musical force, the greatest rock and roll
> band in the world, that puts out great, new
> material well into their 60's or rather just the
> greatest and most expensive oldies act in world.
> The emphasis on this tour seems to be on the
> latter.

I fully agree with these words, ChrisM. It's beyond me why don't they play DTFast, for example: I don't think it's a very complex song and it would be a crowd pleaser for sure. And you can tell the same about half of the new album.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: September 20, 2005 21:26

NO one was @#$%& complaining where they were doing the excat same show in 72,75,78,81,and 89, all you complaining, can bite me, this tour is amazing

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 20, 2005 21:28

where do you like to be bitten?

Date: September 20, 2005 22:08

I'd love to stop but,we need some type of a reason to stop.On the other hand,they didn't have to tour at all & they are doing a very good job on the songs that they are playing for the most part.The versions of Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) have to be among the best,if not the best since '73.I'd love to see She Saw Me Coming replace You Got Me Rocking and/or Let Me Down Slow somewhere between slots 5 and 10 + some (at least 2 of each) rare and never played songs.Throw in something to rotate with the Worst and I'd be satisfied.Seems reasonable to me.
All this talk about the set lists has diverted attention from Chuck Leavell.Maybe that was his plan.Try to influence the set list so he can fly under the radar.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 20, 2005 22:32

HEAR, HEAR! The moans about the setlist being boring are now just that - BORING. No one is forcing anyone to go and listen. If you don't like the setlist, don't go.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2228
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home