Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: stop the setlist moaning!
Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 20, 2005 22:53

"NO one was @#$%& complaining where they were doing the excat same show in 72,75,78,81,and 89, all you complaining, can bite me, this tour is amazing"

This would be an ok comment if you would have started with 89. Using 1972 as an example.....um...they had fewer songs then. That was over 30 years and tons of music ago.

You guys need to admit it...they CAN'T play anything else. Period. They don't want to sound bad so they stick to what they know.

Date: September 20, 2005 23:36

Let's look at the facts.They have never done the exact same shows.Up until this tour there has always been songs unique to each tour.Some examples :
'81 - Tops,Let It Bleed,Down The Road Apiece,many TY songs,Let Me Go
'89/'90 - 2000 Light Years From Home,One Hit,Play With Fire,7 Steel Wheels songs,
Harlem Shuffle,songs like SFTD not done in many years,Undercover Of The Night
'94/'95 - Monkey Man,I Can't Get Next To You,Memory Motel,Hot Stuff,Connection,Not Fade Away,many VL songs,Shine A Light,It's All Over Now
'97/'98 - Crazy Mama,Little Queenie,Sister Morphine,many Bridges songs,She's A Rainbow,Under My Thumb,web vote for a rare song - rigged or not,The Last Time,All About You,Star Star,Factory Girl,Wanna Hold You
'99 - I Got The Blues,Moonlight Mile,Route 66,You Got The Silver,Some Girls -the song,Respectable,Saint Of Me,Get Off Of My Cloud
'02/'03 - Thru & Thru,Neighbours,Can't You Hear Me Knocking,Worried About You,The Nearness Of You,Dance Pt.2,No Expectations,Heart Of Stone among many others
Why stop now?They can play most of their material,they so far,have just chosen not to.I think this is because,in large part, they don't want to be bothered with a 24 song set anymore.
How can people ignore these facts and keep saying that they have always done the same exact shows?
I am still going to go to more shows because,although it is starting to appear less likely,it is still possible that I will get a few songs that I haven't seen in concert before.I can't resist the chance and I can still hold out hope so,don't bother telling me not to go.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: September 21, 2005 01:06

Exactly quit crying with so many great songs they can't please everyone.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 21, 2005 01:15

where's sway!!!!!!!

wahwahwahwahwahwahwah

Date: September 21, 2005 02:02

It's obvious that they can't please everyone but,they could come closer just by adding at least one song never performed before,just as they always have in the past.This should go without saying.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 21, 2005 02:10

every tour (until this one) i came away with at least one gem.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 21, 2005 07:22

sladog wrote: You guys need to admit it...they CAN'T play anything else. Period.

sladog, were you sitting in on rehearsals in Toronto? How is it that YOU seem to know WHAT they can, or, cannot play? Jesus, what crap. You haven't even been to one of the shows yet, right? And you're talking like this, what kind of fan are you? If you're a fan, I'm the pope.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 21, 2005 08:32

Hey Rank what sorta donk ya got in that Pope mobile buggy of yours...?

Push in on the button and you can hear her sing

ROCKMAN

Date: September 21, 2005 13:07

Rank, have they proven it? Obviously I am right because if they COULD play more songs from ABB or from their back catalog they would. Either they can't or they are too lazy to try.

I will eat my words if they play more than 5 songs a night from a Bigger Bang or if they dig into their catalog and play some new songs (more than once).

The proof is in the pudding. Just look at the setlists for proof.

RankOutsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sladog wrote: You guys need to admit it...they
> CAN'T play anything else. Period.
>
>
> sladog, were you sitting in on rehearsals in
> Toronto? How is it that YOU seem to know WHAT they
> can, or, cannot play? Jesus, what crap. You
> haven't even been to one of the shows yet, right?
> And you're talking like this, what kind of fan are
> you? If you're a fan, I'm the pope.
>
> "Once upon a time I was your little rooster, but
> now I'm just one of your cocks"

Posted by: Star ()
Date: September 21, 2005 13:14

They can play the same songs for me as it is not often you can go and see the Stones "live" so you have to understand what an event it really is, and it won't last forever.
I saw them at Earls Court, London FIVE nights on the trot in 1976 (couldn't get a ticket for the sixth) and loved every minute of every show!!

"Till the next time..."

Date: September 21, 2005 15:14

Beast Wrote:
> HEAR, HEAR! The moans about the setlist being
> boring are now just that - BORING. No one is
> forcing anyone to go and listen. If you don't
> like the setlist, don't go.

If you don't like the thread don't join in...

Everyone can see and feel the Stones have lost something...

Ron is a drunkard and can't play as he did in previous years, read the line-ups of the new songs and you will rarely find his name at all...

Keith doesn't practice as often as he did (look at his fingers and you'll know why), I read he uses to stop playing for MONTHS! (and he's a guitarist, remember) besides he didn't give too much input in the new album...

Charlie probabyl had enough personal problems surviving his throat cancer...

Darryl hasn't become a Stones member though he's in the band since more than 10 years now but they didn't really use him on the new album, I'm sure this doesn't produce any enthusiasm if your band doesn't really want or need you...

To me it seems the band has again become Mick's vehicle at it was in mid-1970s. The band sounds more and more like Mick's backing groups on his solo albums... most songs are written by Mick nowadays (thus by him alone!)... he now plays drums, bass and guitar in the studio... all this is not bad but it isn't the Rolling Stones

The outcome of all this is that the setlists are more boring... how could poor Ronnie bother to learn new or old Stones tracks if he's achin' for the next drink? How could Keith ignore the pain in his fingers or the disgust about Mick's music which is not his rootsy style but pop? Does he care at all to play stadium gigs at all except for the money? In fact he wants to play with Hubert Sumlin all day long, I'm sure...

Conclusion: Mick is doing a great job, nowadays it's really Mick Jagger & the Rolling Stones. Soon they will play the setlists Mick used to do 1987/88 in Japan and Australia....

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 21, 2005 16:52

"besides he didn't give too much input in the new album... "

F.U.C. the Captain,
where did you read this???

"disgust about Mick's music which is not his rootsy style but pop"

this is the first album in years that doens't have much trendy material on it. You can say SOL and Rain Fall Down have the most pop sound to them but come on. I think people make things up in their head here and write them as if Mick or Keith said them. Please show me where this info. you mention is based on.

Date: September 21, 2005 17:07

J-J-Flash Wrote:
> "besides he didn't give too much input in the new
> album... "
>
> F.U.C. the Captain,
> where did you read this???

The new "Guitar World" [ [www.guitarworld.com] ] has an interview with Keith where he says he brought in "Rough justice", "This place is empty" and "Infamy" while the other songs are mainly Mick's.

> "disgust about Mick's music which is not his
> rootsy style but pop"
>
> this is the first album in years that doens't have
> much trendy material on it. You can say SOL and
> Rain Fall Down have the most pop sound to them but
> come on. I think people make things up in their
> head here and write them as if Mick or Keith said
> them. Please show me where this info. you mention
> is based on.

Compare the Mick solo albums with the ones from Keith and yoou will clearly hear the difference between their tastes in music. Also compare how many albums Mick made and how many Keith did.

Here are some extracts from the interview in "Guitar World" as they were posted in the Rocks Off forum. Note how the interviewer is flattering Keith calling him a "Zen monk" while any other person would call him disinterested. He doesn't even seem to know the titles of the songs he played on! OK let's hear the master:

GW: "Take Me Down Slow" [sic] has such a nice chorus melody. It's a tiny bit like "Out of Time." Classic Stones. Is that style of melody more Mick's thing or more yours?

RICHARDS: That's hard to say. Mick came up with the basic song but I came up with the chimes [sings descending major chorus melody]. But I'd say that one's more Mick than me, absolutely. You can tell. The ones I laid on him were "Rough Justice," "Infamy," and "This Place Is Empty." So it's kind of half and half. Mick comes in far more prepared than I do. I like to come in with the bare bones of an idea and see how it builds. Mick prefers to come in pretty much knowing how it's supposed to go ... or thinking he knows Ha! Mick's like that.

GW: You're like a Zen monk -- always in the moment.

RICHARDS: Yeah, I don't plan ahead like Mick, but I can pick up on little nuances and ideas and incorporate them as we go along. I like to let things change. I don't like to put things in a cage.

GW: There's also a very nice guitar solo on "Take Me Down Slow" [sic again] -- those Steve Cropper-esque major thirds. I'm assuming it's you.

RICHARDS: Yes, it is. Thanks. I've actually been enjoying playing guitar very much. I kind of stopped playing awhile after the last tour. I did a few sessions -- with Willie Nelson and a couple of other tracks here and there. But sometimes after a tour you say, "Jesus, I've played enough. I can't think of another note." So you kind of lay back. But that's always a good thing, because when I do pick up the guitar again, after a few weeks or months, it's always like, "Oh, yeah! Hello, pal, I missed you." It's always a pleasure to re-meet.

GW: "Back of My Hand" is a great blues. What's the story behind that one?

RICHARDS: Mick came up with that. He started to play it one day on acoustic guitar and I started thinking, "prison songs..."

Date: September 21, 2005 17:34

Captain, I agree....you can hear the Stones in both of Keef's albums. They just sound more rock like.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1172
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home