Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - where to buy CDs?
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 16, 2018 23:02

Dumb question for many of you, I'm sure...

I haven't bought a CD for many years, now using streaming services for most of my musical needs, but I have the use of a car at the moment with a CD player in it, and would like to get a greatest hits for my young children to continue their journey into the Stones (Hot Rocks probably).

Where is the best value place to but new CDs online these days? A quick look at Amazon, and things seemed more expensive than I was expecting...

I am in the UK by the way

Re: OT - where to buy CDs?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 16, 2018 23:15

....EBay .... stacks of bargains ....

Type in a Stones CD - go to Sort and hit Price + Postage lowest first ..
You'll find many with free postage ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2018 23:17

Any used record stores near you in the UK? I was going to say Amazon but I don't know how the prices are there compared to the US.

Date: January 16, 2018 23:35

Thanks gentlemen. Isn't eBay only for used stuff, or am I hopelessly naive? (I've been living in Mexico for many years where inline shopping isn't such a big thing)

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: January 17, 2018 00:26

Date: January 17, 2018 00:28

Discogs.

Date: January 17, 2018 00:29

EBAY .... well yeah there is pre-owned stuff
But there is plenty of new stuff some with free postage ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 17, 2018 00:30

Rockman
....EBay .... stacks of bargains ....

Type in a Stones CD - go to Sort and hit Price + Postage lowest first ..
You'll find many with free postage ....

This the best answer... and if ya dont like the price or selection just wait.

Shipping on light weight items is very cheap... to free

Date: January 17, 2018 00:34

Amazon is okay but a lot of sellers ream ya hard with the postage ....

And its usually difficult to work out the postage charge .....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 17, 2018 00:36

Same can be said (do it on ebay) for DVDs of TV shows and movies.

Set up a search for a low price range, free shipping, new (or "like new")
set the search for ending soonest... save the search in favorites and then look every day.

I have found great movies brand new and whole seasons of great TV shows for so cheap that I almost felt guilty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-17 00:37 by Leonioid.

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: January 17, 2018 01:01

I buy most of my CDs used these days: either in stores or on-line.
Prices are generally good and much lower than they were 20 years ago for both new and used CDs.
If you've got the time, I recommend spending an hour or so in a store that has a good selection of used CDs. It'll be time (and money) well spent.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: January 17, 2018 02:20

Rockman and Leonioid are correct. Most of my purchases are eBay and I have done 2 successful purchases on Discogs. eBay will assist with any problems whereas Discogs will leave you hanging with no support even though they require sellers to be Paypal verified.

Date: January 17, 2018 04:46

nick
Rockman and Leonioid are correct. Most of my purchases are eBay and I have done 2 successful purchases on Discogs. eBay will assist with any problems whereas Discogs will leave you hanging with no support even though they require sellers to be Paypal verified.

Yup, it is a fact ebay will take care of buyers... almost to a fault. I buy and sell on ebay, but as a seller it is like playing with fire, one must be very careful. As a buyer you are covered.

Date: January 17, 2018 09:22

Thank you all!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 17, 2018 09:59

Remember the end of the 80s, beginning of the 90s.
I picked stacks of cheap vinyl then.
Now it's that time for CDs. CDs are just about to die.
So you can get those really nice reeditions with the bonus tracks for a bargain now.
I don't think those bonus tracks exist on spotify. So soon that stuff will be rare again.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 17, 2018 10:15

In the UK ?

Find an HMV store . Should be one somewhere near your regular flight path

Experience that warm nostalgic feeling of buying something in a shop winking smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 17, 2018 10:27

nick
The major problem with Discogs is that you are can not be 100% sure that you'll get the particular pressing. Sometime sellers list there randomly. I mean - they put regular edition listed as a 'target'. Or a dirt cheap re-issue as a collectors first pressing. I had this type of situation a couple of times (once I even got a completely different CD single). And this is real pain to resolve the situation with the seller.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 17, 2018 11:22

I'd definitely go for Amazon.co.uk, if I were you -
low shippigng costs, and very good affiliated retailers -
always look out for the "Used & New" mention; and click on "New"...
Dodax-UK etc. are really good in that respect.

Date: January 17, 2018 11:51

nick

Discogs have a pretty water tight system. A bad review, and people won't buy from that seller again.

Email is integrated, and I've never experienced any trouble getting in touch with the seller.

I received a Kinks-album once - cut in two! I noticed the seller, and had a new copy (after sending him a picture of the album) within 5 days.

I've bought hundres of albums there, btw.

I also have good experiences with eBay, both for albums and guitar stuff.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 17, 2018 14:40

ebay is the best, as pointed out by others ... not only for new, but I also use it to buy used CDs, often getting them for $4 or less (including shipping).

Date: January 17, 2018 14:54

Thanks people! I got Hot Rocks on ebay for 4 pounds including delivery, 'mint' condition from a very well reviewed supplier.

Date: January 17, 2018 15:58

peoplewitheyes
Thanks people! I got Hot Rocks on ebay for 4 pounds including delivery, 'mint' condition from a very well reviewed supplier.
I hope you'll get a right one. Because Hot Rocks in UK is a tricky thing. There are the following (most common) versions
1 - Hot Rocks 1 [820 141-2] and Hot Rocks 2 [820 142-2], two individual discs. Made in West Germany with wide stereo mixes.
2 - Hot Rocks 1964-1971 [820 140-2] in fat box, Made in UK by PDO (could be with black or silver label). This one came with almost everything in mono and with severe playback problems due to CD bronzing effect. Avoid that one.
3 - Hot Rocks 1964-1971 [844 144-2], German or UK pressings with the same mastering as #2 but w/o playback problems. #2 and #3 contain inferior mastering and sound quality comparing to #1
4 - post 2002 editions with catalog number 882 334-2. These are OK in terms of sound quality but you won't get wide stereo tracks for disc 1.
Life is not that easy with CD's winking smiley

PS. I do not dig into the issue of cheap Chinese replicas that look almost as official.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-17 16:04 by ironbelly.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 17, 2018 16:49

Amazon also has tons of stuff - some obscure stuff too.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: January 17, 2018 17:27

Amazon: you can usually get used in top shape for cheap
Discogs: same (recently bought More Hot Rocks and since the guy also lived in Paris I was able to pick it up and save on shipping)

Of course, supporting your local stores is the coolest way to go! I always try to buy half my discs at the local CD retailer (pretty good selection)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 17, 2018 18:49

Amazon US: Free shipping over $25 (or free with Amazon Prime membership), and if bought from the Amazon secondary marketplace, shipping is usually only $3.99 per item.
I've bought brand new 'import' cd's priced at less than $3.99 from the UK (+ shipping fee), and many times it ends up less than if I had bought it from Amazon official in the US.
Customer service is exceptional as I've had an order that was lost in the mail, and in the case of an order from AmazonUK, something missing from the order.
In both cases, and after a couple of minutes of online chat w/customer service, replacement items were sent immediately.
I've also bought a few things from discogs and never had a problem.

Date: January 17, 2018 23:25

Oh goodness, Ironbelly... Now you've got me worried about what on gonna get. But, full blast on a cheap car CD system with excited 8 year olds singing along, I figure it should work out OK either way.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 18, 2018 00:10

Hairball
Amazon US: Free shipping over $25 (or free with Amazon Prime membership), and if bought from the Amazon secondary marketplace, shipping is usually only $3.99 per item.
I've bought brand new 'import' cd's priced at less than $3.99 from the UK (+ shipping fee), and many times it ends up less than if I had bought it from Amazon official in the US.
Customer service is exceptional as I've had an order that was lost in the mail, and in the case of an order from AmazonUK, something missing from the order.
In both cases, and after a couple of minutes of online chat w/customer service, replacement items were sent immediately.

Eggzactly why i don't use amazon for used cds (or dvds) ... the $3.99 shipping is killer!

Date: January 18, 2018 00:17

LeonidP
Hairball

Eggzactly why i don't use amazon for used cds (or dvds) ... the $3.99 shipping is killer!
Seems you never faced USPS prices for overseas winking smiley Try to buy something from the USA if you live in Europe. Even from Japan SAL shipment to Europe without/with tracking is $2.5/$6.2 for a single CD but from the USA $14 at best.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 18, 2018 00:21

LeonidP
Hairball

I wasn't referring to used cd's, and the original poster wasn't either.
But now that you mention it, I suppose that is a bit high for a flat rate shipping fee for a used item if bought and delivered within the US.
That said, along with many new cd's, I've bought used cd's from the UK also, and the flat rate $3.99 shipping fee to California is really a bargain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-18 00:25 by Hairball.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 18, 2018 03:53

I bought some recently from FYE.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1697
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home