Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: A fantastic RS article/review Jan.09 2018
Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 11, 2018 13:04

Hairball
Not sure what this guy is talking about...
Wouldn't performing a setlist that consists of old songs - 95% of which were recorded recorded over 35 years ago - be considered resting on their laurels?
When the newest tune they play is a recent cover of blues oldie, followed by an original from the '80's...aren't they resting on their laurels?
If a majority of what they played was from the last ten years or so he may have a point, but any band that relies almost solely on their oldies is a band that is resting on their laurels.

Let's face it. The material after 1981 is mainly crap compared with Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St, Some Girls, Tattoo You. We like much of it, but we know it's not in the same league as the 1968-72 stuff.
Casual fans don't know/like most of it. That's why they don't play the newer songs. My problem is not that they only play old songs, but meanwhile (almost) only warhorses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 13:08 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: January 11, 2018 13:44

Monsoon Ragoon
Hairball
Wouldn't performing a setlist that consists of old songs - 95% of which were recorded recorded over 35 years ago - be considered resting on their laurels?
When the newest tune they play is a recent cover of blues oldie, followed by an original from the '80's...aren't they resting on their laurels?
If a majority of what they played was from the last ten years or so he may have a point, but any band that relies almost solely on their oldies is a band that is resting on their laurels.

Let's face it. The material after 1981 is mainly crap compared with Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St, Some Girls, Tattoo You. We like much of it, but we know it's not in the same league as the 1968-72 stuff.
Casual fans don't know/like most of it. That's why they don't play the newer songs. My problem is not that they only play old songs, but meanwhile (almost) only warhorses.

Tie You Up
Harlem Shuffle
Terrifying
Moon Is Up
How Can I Stop
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Keys To Your Love

Not necessarily music for «the masses», but very good songs just the same - and totally doable for our boys in concert. At least the die-hards in the pit would appreciate these tunes smiling smiley

Date: January 11, 2018 13:53

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
Hairball

Tie You Up
Harlem Shuffle
Terrifying
Moon Is Up
How Can I Stop
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Keys To Your Love

Not necessarily music for «the masses», but very good songs just the same - and totally doable for our boys in concert. At least the die-hards in the pit would appreciate these tunes smiling smiley

MAINLY crap COMPARED with the classic. Of course for me it's good crap incl. some classic songs. But most classic tunes were done until 1978.

I just wouldn't count Keys To Your Love as a good song. Sounds like a caricature of Beast Of Burden.

Date: January 11, 2018 14:01

Nah, I think it's a nice soul tune. Caricature of BOB? Try Almost Hear You Sigh (which is also great).

Date: January 11, 2018 14:08

DandelionPowderman
Nah, I think it's a nice soul tune. Caricature of BOB? Try Almost Hear You Sigh (which is also great).

The falsetto is horribly IMHO. Otherwise it would be an okay ballad.

Date: January 11, 2018 14:11

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman

The falsetto is horribly IMHO. Otherwise it would be an okay ballad.

As an ardent Curtis Mayfield and Don Covay-fan, I just love the falsetto on such soul-tunes smiling smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 11, 2018 15:54

"Ev'rytin' awrite in the Travel section?! Got plenty to drink, haven't ya...??"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 11, 2018 16:28

caschimann
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Sure, Dandelion. They are still performing and making an effort. But my point is that they are resting their setlists on songs 40 years old or more. Which is quite understandable.

Yep, but resting on one's laurels is about being content, and not bothering to make any effort anymore.

It's not as easy as saying «they don't take chances», because they do - every day, at this age. They even bother to try out songs they haven't played since 1973 in front of 90.000 people. Looks like making an effort to me smiling smiley

In this context, resting on their laurels would be not to play at all, knowing that lots of ££££ will drip into their accounts anyhow..

Well Powderman I admire your patience with all these never giving up seltlist-worriers. No disresepct to them.
I always had the romantic vision that this will stop one day and those pals can jump over their shaddow in a zone where they just relax and enjoy what is there to relax and enjoy in the 2.15 hour time those loveley warhorses are on stage.
Which is much - as You and I and Millions other know.

It will probably only stop when the Stones stop playing and touring.

Date: January 11, 2018 16:55

Cristiano Radtke
caschimann
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Sure, Dandelion. They are still performing and making an effort. But my point is that they are resting their setlists on songs 40 years old or more. Which is quite understandable.

Yep, but resting on one's laurels is about being content, and not bothering to make any effort anymore.

It's not as easy as saying «they don't take chances», because they do - every day, at this age. They even bother to try out songs they haven't played since 1973 in front of 90.000 people. Looks like making an effort to me smiling smiley

In this context, resting on their laurels would be not to play at all, knowing that lots of ££££ will drip into their accounts anyhow..

Well Powderman I admire your patience with all these never giving up seltlist-worriers. No disresepct to them.
I always had the romantic vision that this will stop one day and those pals can jump over their shaddow in a zone where they just relax and enjoy what is there to relax and enjoy in the 2.15 hour time those loveley warhorses are on stage.

Don't be so sure. Whining keeps us together, or something...

winking smiley

Date: January 11, 2018 17:11

DandelionPowderman
Cristiano Radtke
caschimann
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Don't be so sure. Whining keeps us together, or something...

winking smiley

Families that whine together, stay together. grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 11, 2018 17:20

I'm not so sure about this polarization though. Either you're a whiner or a fanboy - isn't there something in between?

Date: January 11, 2018 18:08

Stoneage
I'm not so sure about this polarization though. Either you're a whiner or a fanboy - isn't there something in between?

Even a fan boy may whine, so I guess it's more complex than that (as I suspect you know perfectly well smiling smiley )...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 11, 2018 19:44

There is a balance in there somewhere, but like politics there's also extremes (the left and the right).
On one hand you have the constant bashers who are almost troll-like and never have anything good to say. They're mean-spirited and nasty 100% of the time, appearing on occasion to rile feathers. They either go back into hibernation or are banned from the site. On the other hand you have the fanboys (or fangirls) who will never say one thing critical and seemingly have no opinion other than "they're the greatest rock and roll band in the world"...period. They will even come to the defense of the band and go after someones throat if something is said that goes against their extreme belief that the band is "perfect" in every way. There are a small handful of the extremes on either side, but like politics I tend to stay in the middle...critiquing or praising, and simply voicing an opinion whether it's good, bad, ugly...left, right, center...or upside down, right side up, etc. When it comes to factual data such as who played on what and on what date, etc., I happily welcome corrections if I misstate anything - that's how I learn. But when it comes to personal opinions, everyone should have the right to express how they feel.

As far as "resting on laurels", my original post was strictly pointing out the fact that they rely on nearly the same setlists of songs every tour - most of which are over 40 years old. Yes there's the occasional surprise (Dancing with Mr. D or a cover of the Beatles Come Together, etc.), but those are few and far between considering their massive catalogue. It doesn't bother me and I have even defended the warhorses in the past (they're mostly all great songs!), but for the writer to say they don't rest on their laurels is a bit of a stretch imo. If he would have said, "other than their setlists, they don't rest on their laurels" it would have been more accurate. But then there's the fact that there hasn't been a new album of originals for over 13 years....

Date: January 11, 2018 20:09

caschimann
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Indeed! + the great feeling that arises when they start playing an obscure number all of a sudden!

It was lovely hearing Play With Fire, Under My Thumb, Dancing With Mr D, Shine A Light, Just Your Fool and Ride 'Em On Down on this tour thumbs up

Date: January 11, 2018 20:27

DandelionPowderman
caschimann
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Indeed! + the great feeling that arises when they start playing an obscure number all of a sudden!

It was lovely hearing Play With Fire, Under My Thumb, Dancing With Mr D, Shine A Light, Just Your Fool and Ride 'Em On Down on this tour thumbs up

Exactly! Sometimes one single obscure or rared played song can make that concert something special. thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 11, 2018 20:35

Hairball
There is a balance in there somewhere, but like politics there's also extremes (the left and the right).
On one hand you have the constant bashers who are almost troll-like and never have anything good to say. They're mean-spirited and nasty 100% of the time, appearing on occasion to rile feathers. They either go back into hibernation or are banned from the site. On the other hand you have the fanboys (or fangirls) who will never say one thing critical and seemingly have no opinion other than "they're the greatest rock and roll band in the world"...period. They will even come to the defense of the band and go after someones throat if something is said that goes against their extreme belief that the band is "perfect" in every way. There are a small handful of the extremes on either side, but like politics I tend to stay in the middle...critiquing or praising, and simply voicing an opinion whether it's good, bad, ugly...left, right, center...or upside down, right side up, etc. When it comes to factual data such as who played on what and on what date, etc., I happily welcome corrections if I misstate anything - that's how I learn. But when it comes to personal opinions, everyone should have the right to express how they feel.

As far as "resting on laurels", my original post was strictly pointing out the fact that they rely on nearly the same setlists of songs every tour - most of which are over 40 years old. Yes there's the occasional surprise (Dancing with Mr. D or a cover of the Beatles Come Together, etc.), but those are few and far between considering their massive catalogue. It doesn't bother me and I have even defended the warhorses in the past (they're mostly all great songs!), but for the writer to say they don't rest on their laurels is a bit of a stretch imo. If he would have said, "other than their setlists, they don't rest on their laurels" it would have been more accurate. But then there's the fact that there hasn't been a new album of originals for over 13 years....

Ive never met one of those on iorr.org. Why would anybody bother to post here if not a fan?

Date: January 11, 2018 20:46

Good question Redhotcarpet, and it might have been a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but they've been known to exist...they come and go like thieves in the night!
They either get banned or hide their heads in the sand until they're reawakened.

"It was lovely hearing Play With Fire, Under My Thumb, Dancing With Mr D, Shine A Light, Just Your Fool and Ride 'Em On Down on this tour"

Yes, and it would be really lovely if they played all those in a single show vs. stretching it out over a 14 show tour (as I previously said it's few and far between),
but I suppose that's asking and/or expecting a bit much from the old timers this late in the game.

Date: January 11, 2018 21:04

All those songs (save SAL) was played in the first show I attended.

Date: January 11, 2018 21:24

Then I stand corrected and that was a reasonably nice setlist!
Aside from the blues covers at that show though, the newest original was the nearly 20 year old Out of Control, followed by Slipping Away which is nearly 30 years old.
The rest were oldies but goodies, with a majority of them being the tried and true warhorses. Still wonder why they dropped Play With Fire - thought it should have been a keeper!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 11, 2018 22:27

Hairball
Aside from the blues covers at that show though, the newest original was the nearly 20 year old Out of Control, followed by Slipping Away which is nearly 30 years old.
The rest were oldies but goodies, with a majority of them being the tried and true warhorses. Still wonder why they dropped Play With Fire - thought it should have been a keeper!

Always loved Play With Fire, both studio and live versions. I remember back in 2007 taking the London Tube to visit Abbey Road getting off at St. Johns Wood thinking, Wow! They named this tube station after lyrics in a Rolling Stones song!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 12, 2018 01:33

Hairball
Good question Redhotcarpet, and it might have been a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but they've been known to exist...they come and go like thieves in the night!
They either get banned or hide their heads in the sand until they're reawakened.

"It was lovely hearing Play With Fire, Under My Thumb, Dancing With Mr D, Shine A Light, Just Your Fool and Ride 'Em On Down on this tour"

Yes, and it would be really lovely if they played all those in a single show vs. stretching it out over a 14 show tour (as I previously said it's few and far between),
but I suppose that's asking and/or expecting a bit much from the old timers this late in the game.

‘She’s A Rainbow’

Date: January 12, 2018 08:52

35love
Hairball

‘She’s A Rainbow’

Lucky you! I didn't get that one smiling smiley

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: January 12, 2018 10:26

Excellent article, indeed.

And, once again, when people "out there" express and explain their deep respect for the Stones and for what the band does deliver nowadays (not for "sweet memories" only), then some fans, here, are getting upset...

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 12, 2018 19:28

Hairball

I don't think they dropped it, Hairball. With the Stones there is something like "a special song for (a) special person(s) on (be it very rare) occasions". They take you by surprise! And if that happens, you're not "just" on the clouds, no, you feel like floating freely in the Universe!

Date: January 12, 2018 19:53

georgie48
Hairball

I don't think they dropped it, Hairball. With the Stones there is something like "a special song for (a) special person(s) on (be it very rare) occasions". They take you by surprise! And if that happens, you're not "just" on the clouds, no, you feel like floating freely in the Universe!

Lol...

Based on memory though, and I could be wrong, but it seems some of the tours start with something "special" in the setlist in the first show (or two), and then it disappears. I Wanna Be Your Man for example...wasn't that dropped after they played it once during 50 and Counting? That said, looking at the San Diego opener setlist for '15, I don't see anything really "special" other than Moonlight Mile, but I believe it stayed in the setlist at least for awhile? There was also All Down the Line which I suppose could be considered "special", but I'm pretty sure I've seen them play that many times in the past- probably mostly during the Licks tour, and not sure if it was kept in the Zip Code tour after San Diego. Maybe I'm confusing them dropping a "special" song with the fact that they simply shorten the setlist as in the recent No Filter tour which I think started with 22 and eventually settled at 20....or something like that.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 12, 2018 19:56

georgie48 -good observation and comment. Like Lady Jane (London 2012) I felt lucky to be able to witness these great songs played, and they were done very well too, which makes it more mysterious why they're one-offs. Don't know why they do this in particular, maybe they really do care about us hard core fans after all and try to placate us in rare occasion.

Date: January 12, 2018 20:13

<Wanna Be Your Man for example...wasn't that dropped after they played it once during 50 and Counting?>

No.

Date: January 12, 2018 20:26

Now looking at setlist.com (and IORR tour page), I see they played I Wanna Be Your Man only three times in 2012- twice in London and then once again at Barclays Center, but then was abandoned for the following two Prudential Center shows a week later. When the tour re-started in May the following year, it was a complete no show...might have thought it could have been played at the Echoplex club show, but no.

Date: January 12, 2018 20:32

DandelionPowderman

No.

Not dropped after one appearance, but after three or four.

Date: January 12, 2018 21:10

Monsoon Ragoon
Hairball

True enough. Imagine if it was the opposite - that their setlists were made up 95% of original tunes from the last 35+ years. For many bands, playing their more current material from the latter half of their careers (however long that may be) might be a good thing, but for the Stones it would almost be a slap in the face to many in attendance hoping to hear the true classics. For that reason, I applaud them for playing what they realize is their best, but on the other hand it shows they're pretty much relying on and living in the past just as a majority of those in attendance are. There's lots of nostalgia to experience at a Stones show, and there has been for quite awhile...that's what sells tickets.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home