Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Your top 10 favourite albums of 2017
Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 29, 2017 23:49

Palace Revolution 2000

Leonioid, you might enjoy the Strypes.

Great tip, thank you!
As long as kids like the Strypes keep coming up rock and roll will survive!

When I get a new tip I go to Youtube and search the name then sort the result by view count, this gives me what people feel are the most popular songs form a band...

This kids play straight up good ole fashioned fast rock and roll blues... https:/ /www.youtube.com/results?sp=CAM%253D&search_query=the+Strypes

The Strypes
From Wikipedia

The Strypes are a four-piece rock band from Cavan, Ireland, formed in 2010 consisting of Ross Farrelly (lead vocals/harmonica), Josh McClorey (lead guitar/vocals), Peter O'Hanlon (bass guitar/harmonica) and Evan Walsh (drums). The band played the local scene with various members switching parts as they searched for their sound. They draw inspiration from 1960s blues boom and 1970s pub rock bands such as Dr. Feelgood, Eddie and the Hot Rods, The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Lew Lewis and Rockpile as well as the original bluesmen and rock 'n' roll artists such as Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter, among others. The band members' current ages are 20 to 22 years.

The band, with a shared love of blues and rhythm and blues music, formed in the town of Cavan, Ireland. After several months gigging around their hometown, the band began playing clubs and pubs around Ireland, playing sets mixing original material with rhythm and blues covers. Their set of fast-paced, gritty, garage rock "speed blues", which mixed the powerful approach of Dr. Feelgood with the intense rave-up format of The Yardbirds, quickly became well received by crowds across Ireland and their reputation as a live act grew.

-------------------------------------------------
Great tip, now all they have to do is stick around....

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 29, 2017 23:53

This thread is embarrassing.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 30, 2017 00:00

Palace Revolution 2000
Leonioid, you might enjoy the Strypes.

And there are some other great bands listed in this thread too, it is all very entertaining and informational.

Great thread!

Date: December 30, 2017 05:01

Bastion

I'm curious - why would you say something like that?

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: December 30, 2017 15:34

Baxter Dury's Prince of Tears deserves a bigger audience, bought all of his previous ones on the back of this.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 30, 2017 21:37

Palace Revolution 2000
Bastion

I'm curious - why would you say something like that?

He's done it before as I recall ... loves to bash everyone else's taste but afraid to add his/her own input. Typical music snob, thinks he has superior taste than others

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 21:38 by LeonidP.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 30, 2017 21:37

LeonidP
I bought
- Chuck
- Steve Earle
- Rancid

all are great! Anything else I got, I downloaded free (except some of the special Stones releases)

Oh yeah, also:
- Foo Fighters, Concrete & Gold!

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 30, 2017 22:20

Sorry that was meant to respond to those who listed Marty Stuart's record.
thumbs up

T@3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 22:24 by TeaAtThree.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 4, 2018 00:38

Thee Oh Sees - Orc. Just a really solid garage rock record, one of the more accessible rock records I listened to this year. Fun listening, good for background music and attentive listening.

Algiers - The Underside of Power. Revolutionary experimental rock album. The performances on this album are just so incredible. I don't think many other rock groups have captured goth, folk, soul, blues, and post-punk in as vital a way as Algiers. Full of unrest.

Feist - Pleasure. Singer/songwriter folk rock albums are no good, right? This one is!

Oxbow - Thin Black Duke. Bass rock album. Clean in production and lush in instrumentation. Poetic, moody, angsty, and very unique.

Kirin J Callinan - Bravado. The cover art for this album is a straight faced man getting peed on. Strangely, it's the most standard part of this album. Extremely lush and melodramatic, there's not really a better title for this one. Kirin is at once portraying a comedic parody of masculine party culture while also being genuine and lonely. Don't take it too seriously, but also don't act like those key changes aren't pulling your heartstrings.

Sun Kill Moon - Common as Light and Love are Red Valleys of Blood. Two hours of beautiful experimental folk music. Stories, rambling, digging deep into compelling small moments and feelings. Good for reading to.

Big K.R.I.T. - 4eva Is A Mighty Long Time. Independent southern hip-hop double album with southern hip hop, rap-country fusion, gospel, culminating in a second disc that's full of introspection and moodiness. The desire to take risks and try different things is so impressive here. I think that hip hop music is like horror cinema; there is no other place in the culture currently that is undergoing such constant experimentation and reinvention. No exaggeration.

BROCKHAMPTON - SATURATION I, II, and III. Essential 2010s hip hop from this "boy band". Diverse, undefeatable energy. The most fun, quirky, exciting hip hop this year. Bleeds ingenuity from every single track. I don't know how the hell you can top this sort of creativity, but this is the artist I am most excited for the future of.

Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me. Heartbreaking. An achievement of grief-stricken songwriting. A hard record to listen to, not for its experimentation, but for its honesty. Not entertainment, but beautiful.

Date: January 4, 2018 01:05

wonderboy
Thee Oh Sees - Orc. Just a really solid garage rock record, one of the more accessible rock records I listened to this year. Fun listening, good for background music and attentive listening.

Algiers - The Underside of Power. Revolutionary experimental rock album. The performances on this album are just so incredible. I don't think many other rock groups have captured goth, folk, soul, blues, and post-punk in as vital a way as Algiers. Full of unrest.

Feist - Pleasure. Singer/songwriter folk rock albums are no good, right? This one is!

Oxbow - Thin Black Duke. Bass rock album. Clean in production and lush in instrumentation. Poetic, moody, angsty, and very unique.

Kirin J Callinan - Bravado. The cover art for this album is a straight faced man getting peed on. Strangely, it's the most standard part of this album. Extremely lush and melodramatic, there's not really a better title for this one. Kirin is at once portraying a comedic parody of masculine party culture while also being genuine and lonely. Don't take it too seriously, but also don't act like those key changes aren't pulling your heartstrings.

Sun Kill Moon - Common as Light and Love are Red Valleys of Blood. Two hours of beautiful experimental folk music. Stories, rambling, digging deep into compelling small moments and feelings. Good for reading to.

Big K.R.I.T. - 4eva Is A Mighty Long Time. Independent southern hip-hop double album with southern hip hop, rap-country fusion, gospel, culminating in a second disc that's full of introspection and moodiness. The desire to take risks and try different things is so impressive here. I think that hip hop music is like horror cinema; there is no other place in the culture currently that is undergoing such constant experimentation and reinvention. No exaggeration.

BROCKHAMPTON - SATURATION I, II, and III. Essential 2010s hip hop from this "boy band". Diverse, undefeatable energy. The most fun, quirky, exciting hip hop this year. Bleeds ingenuity from every single track. I don't know how the hell you can top this sort of creativity, but this is the artist I am most excited for the future of.

Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me. Heartbreaking. An achievement of grief-stricken songwriting. A hard record to listen to, not for its experimentation, but for its honesty. Not entertainment, but beautiful.
Now this is a most interesting and enlightening post. I know several of them, but many I am not familiar with. But I definitely have a list to make. Thanks Wonderboy.
PS Just wanted to tell Wonderboy I thought Saturation 2 was the really good one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-04 01:10 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 4, 2018 01:16

Only Deep Purple`s Infinite. Had this been released in the 70s, -wow!

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: January 4, 2018 01:17

Best album by a country mile is AMERICAN ENGLISH by Tor Miller, actually released in 2016, but it is SO GOOD, it deserves to be the album of the year 2018!!!

Date: January 4, 2018 04:28

Palace Revolution 2000

PS Just wanted to tell Wonderboy I thought Saturation 2 was the really good one.

It's my son's list. Just a proud dad, trying to share his review.
I plan to buy a few of these.
It's enjoyable to see a young person so enthusiastic about today's music. Sometimes I fear I have lost that gift.

Date: January 4, 2018 12:43

wonderboy
Sometimes I fear I have lost that gift.

No need to worry. Most people stop following new music by turning 30.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: January 4, 2018 17:06

nothing!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 4, 2018 18:12

There's only 2 for me. With what my life consisted of in 2017 there wasn't really any interest in music other than Bob Marley, which my wife loved to listen to, yet alone new music. My wife loved Jason Isbell too so THE NASHVILLE SOUND we both got when it came out, she got it as a download and I bought the CD. Oddly enough, neither of us listened to it other than a few times, she still liked to listen to SOUTHEASTERN. There wasn't time or energy to absorb it. Right after it came out she really had a hard time so she lost interest in the new album, among a lot of other things, which was really bizarre yet I didn't exactly notice at the time. When you're consumed with taking care of someone you don't notice that they aren't doing ABCDEFG etc anymore. It's eye opening later on with what doesn't matter anymore when you get to a way where pain is your concern and not talking to whoever and all kinds of things. I see something she wanted to do or wanted to do something with and it hits me - I know she wanted to but she couldn't so it didn't matter anymore.

That's very weird.

While she was dying but before she was unable to communicate worth a shit, she sang Three Little Birds a lot. She loved to have porch time so I'd walk her or wheel her out and she'd sit in her chair or wheel chair at the table and we have bird feeders and lots of birds come around and could watch the sun come up through the banana trees so Three Little Birds was a natural fit. She also insisted that every little thing really was going to be okay, which, in a way I guess is right but in so many ways it isn't but that's life. The other thing she loved to sing out is the "Woe yoy yoy yo" in Buffalo Soldier. I think it was a tandem thing for her pain as a kind of 'I'm still here right now but it sucks' well as an acknowledgement of dying, a kind of 'oh wow this is happening'.

A few days before she died (she was in an air bed for just over a week) I played her U2's new single at the time You're The Best Thing About Me. She was able to smile and slightly nod her head and she grabbed my hand and squeezed it. We had bought tickets in May to see them at the Superdome (Sept 14) when she could still move around, which the night of the show turned out to be 1 night before she died (the show was on a Thursday, she died that Saturday morning). In her almost comatose state she insisted that I go. When we got tickets she insisted that I go no matter what. She was in such decline that I almost didn't but she would've been very disappointed if I didn't. She loved U2. So I played her the new song a few times, she always admired my way to do things and not ever get caught, or as she liked to state, "get in trouble", like magically avoiding the police. So that bit about "I'm the kind of trouble that you enjoy" really rang out.

So when the new album came out I ordered it and there are some songs on the record that, lyrically, have a connection to my life now, which is, I guess, not intentional of course but certainly has some bizarre timing or coincidence, not really sure what word(s) to use. There are a few things that speak to me, I'll leave it at that.

I guess the thing that really gets me sometimes is the aspect that life goes on, movies and books and records continue to come out that she would've liked to have seen, read and listened to and she can't, like the U2 album. But that's really no different than "The sun will come up tomorrow no matter what". It's just so much less interesting and meaningful without her around, which is something I have to accept fully and acclimate to the mentality of the sun will come up tomorrow and if she was here I'd do this and that regardless and that includes listening to new music that we both liked etc. The house in most ways still is the same as when she was alive. I've not had the energy or desire to make any changes, and there are a lot of things I don't necessarily want to change because even though it is technically now my house it's still our house and there's no reason to arbitrarily get rid of things just because she's gone. It's not a shrine, it's more of a museum at the moment, as her sister and I joke to each other.

I figure if there is to be a shrine it will be me living my life. I look forward to getting back into listening to music this year. Because this year HAS TO BE BETTER than last year. 3 cats, a dog and my wife died last year - with 1 cat and 1 dog dying 10 days apart in December. How could 2018 be worse?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: January 4, 2018 18:36

Off the top of my head...

Rolling Stones - On Air
Lucinda Williams - This Sweet Old World
Jason Isbell - The Nashville Sound
Ryan Adams - Prisoner
Father John Misty - Pure Comedy
Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie
Taj Mahal & Keb Mo – TajMo
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers Live at The Fonda
Bob Dylan - Trouble No More
Steve Winwood - Greatest Hits Live
Jeff Tweedy - Together At Last
Wilco - Being There Deluxe
Bob Dylan - Triplicate

Date: January 4, 2018 20:11

GasLightStreet
There's only 2 for me. With what my life consisted of in 2017 there wasn't really any interest in music other than Bob Marley, which my wife loved to listen to, yet alone new music. My wife loved Jason Isbell too so THE NASHVILLE SOUND we both got when it came out, she got it as a download and I bought the CD. Oddly enough, neither of us listened to it other than a few times, she still liked to listen to SOUTHEASTERN. There wasn't time or energy to absorb it. Right after it came out she really had a hard time so she lost interest in the new album, among a lot of other things, which was really bizarre yet I didn't exactly notice at the time. When you're consumed with taking care of someone you don't notice that they aren't doing ABCDEFG etc anymore. It's eye opening later on with what doesn't matter anymore when you get to a way where pain is your concern and not talking to whoever and all kinds of things. I see something she wanted to do or wanted to do something with and it hits me - I know she wanted to but she couldn't so it didn't matter anymore.

That's very weird.

While she was dying but before she was unable to communicate worth a shit, she sang Three Little Birds a lot. She loved to have porch time so I'd walk her or wheel her out and she'd sit in her chair or wheel chair at the table and we have bird feeders and lots of birds come around and could watch the sun come up through the banana trees so Three Little Birds was a natural fit. She also insisted that every little thing really was going to be okay, which, in a way I guess is right but in so many ways it isn't but that's life. The other thing she loved to sing out is the "Woe yoy yoy yo" in Buffalo Soldier. I think it was a tandem thing for her pain as a kind of 'I'm still here right now but it sucks' well as an acknowledgement of dying, a kind of 'oh wow this is happening'.

A few days before she died (she was in an air bed for just over a week) I played her U2's new single at the time You're The Best Thing About Me. She was able to smile and slightly nod her head and she grabbed my hand and squeezed it. We had bought tickets in May to see them at the Superdome (Sept 14) when she could still move around, which the night of the show turned out to be 1 night before she died (the show was on a Thursday, she died that Saturday morning). In her almost comatose state she insisted that I go. When we got tickets she insisted that I go no matter what. She was in such decline that I almost didn't but she would've been very disappointed if I didn't. She loved U2. So I played her the new song a few times, she always admired my way to do things and not ever get caught, or as she liked to state, "get in trouble", like magically avoiding the police. So that bit about "I'm the kind of trouble that you enjoy" really rang out.

So when the new album came out I ordered it and there are some songs on the record that, lyrically, have a connection to my life now, which is, I guess, not intentional of course but certainly has some bizarre timing or coincidence, not really sure what word(s) to use. There are a few things that speak to me, I'll leave it at that.

I guess the thing that really gets me sometimes is the aspect that life goes on, movies and books and records continue to come out that she would've liked to have seen, read and listened to and she can't, like the U2 album. But that's really no different than "The sun will come up tomorrow no matter what". It's just so much less interesting and meaningful without her around, which is something I have to accept fully and acclimate to the mentality of the sun will come up tomorrow and if she was here I'd do this and that regardless and that includes listening to new music that we both liked etc. The house in most ways still is the same as when she was alive. I've not had the energy or desire to make any changes, and there are a lot of things I don't necessarily want to change because even though it is technically now my house it's still our house and there's no reason to arbitrarily get rid of things just because she's gone. It's not a shrine, it's more of a museum at the moment, as her sister and I joke to each other.

I figure if there is to be a shrine it will be me living my life. I look forward to getting back into listening to music this year. Because this year HAS TO BE BETTER than last year. 3 cats, a dog and my wife died last year - with 1 cat and 1 dog dying 10 days apart in December. How could 2018 be worse?

Im just so sorry that you had such a year GasLightStreet. This was a sad post. But it sounded like you and your wife had really found each other's soulmate.And yes, 2018 will be legendary.

Date: January 5, 2018 04:16

We were. She was. Still is. That will never change. I don't throw that term around lightly. I think soulmate is... what's the saying, there is immature love and mature love. I tend to think that mature love can include having a soulmate and in my case, it sure was.

It was horrible though, the end of her life. Yet it's interesting how music, of all things, whether it was me playing my guitar or playing Bob Marley albums or whoever, was and remains a kind of illumination that helps somehow. In the South food is a really big deal. But music is like the sky.

The hardest part is wanting to continue on knowing she's not around in the way I want her to be. That really is difficult. As animals, we like our humans, and if we're lucky, we get to love one that makes you understand you'll never love someone like that again if they leave you.

One of her favourite Stones songs was Wild Horses. There were a lot of others but that one was her #1 Stones song. I would play STICKY FINGERS often. She had it on vinyl even (it might be the CBS reissue because the sticker tongue is pink).

So I guess add STICKY FINGERS to my top 10 favorite albums of 2017. And hopefully 2018 will be monumental. I just came across Blackberry Smoke and they're pretty damn good.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 5, 2018 05:12

wonderboy

I found Thee Oh Sees to be more Pink Floydlike than garage rock. Entertaining nonetheless...

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 5, 2018 05:43

Gaslightstreet, that was such a touching and thoughtful tribute for your wife,
soulmate and the life you shared together. I’m stunned...So beautiful...thanks for sharing this with us. 2018 will be a much better year for you!

Posted by: Ragnbert ()
Date: January 5, 2018 09:30

Don't buy many albums these days. But the two best albums of 2017 is "Homeless" by the Savage Rose and "On air" by Rolling Stones.

Date: January 6, 2018 00:31

swimtothemoon
Gaslightstreet, that was such a touching and thoughtful tribute for your wife,
soulmate and the life you shared together. I’m stunned...So beautiful...thanks for sharing this with us. 2018 will be a much better year for you!

Thanks. Not sure why that all came out. It just did. I guess the thread title made me think for a bit.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: January 6, 2018 03:13

Still waiting for On Air to be delivered, so:

Mavis Staples - If All I Was Was Black
The Detroit Emeralds - I Think Of You: Westbound Singles 1969/75
Steven Wilson - To The Bone
Robert Plant - Carry Fire
Isaac Hayes - The Spirit of Memphis (1962/76)
Chris Spedding - The RAK Years
Their Satanic Majesties Request - Anniversary Special Edition
The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
The Replacements - For Sale: Live At Maxwell’s 1986
Paul Kelly - Life Is Fine

GasLightStreet: that was hugely touching what you wrote. Peace to you.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 6, 2018 19:23

Stoneage
I do envy you who persists with these lists. I must admit I don't even buy albums anymore. Strange days indeed...

I couldn't even name 10 albums that were released this past year.

OT: Top Albums of 2017
Date: January 3, 2018 03:08

My son listens to lots of music and wrote this review talking about his favorite albums of 2018.
I have not listened to any of them but it's fun to see a young person so enthusiastic about the music scene. Definitely plan to buy a few of these.
What do you guys think of these artists/albums?

REVIEW

In no particular order:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-03 22:42 by bv.

Re: Top Albums of 2017
Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: January 3, 2018 17:26

Re: Top Albums of 2017
Date: January 3, 2018 19:02

Deep Purple - Infinite (rock album of the year, as the sticker says)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 6, 2018 21:28

My top ten:

1. Dylan- The Gospel Years
2. Bowie- A New Career in an Old Town
3. The Rolling Stones on Air
4. Soul Slabs Vol. 1
5. Iggy Pop- Post Pop Drepression Live
6. Queens of the Stone Age Villains
8. Elvin Bishop Fun Trio
9. Ray Davis- Americana
10. The Magpie Salute

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: January 6, 2018 21:36

Can't come up with 10 - but these three are excellent.
Greta Van Fleet - From the Fires
Foo Fighters - Concrete and Gold
Stones - On Air

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home