Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: OT: Guns 'n' Roses summer 2018 in Europe
Date: June 19, 2018 06:14

Hairball
strat72
As soon as I heard Izzy and Adler were not involved I knew this comeback was 95% about cash, and that's when I decided to give it a miss. When a band does a tour for mostly nothing more than money, it's not gonna go well, and judging by the comments from people I know who went to both Berlin and Donnington, it's a tragic parody of what was once a good band.

Shame......

Yes, and until this current lineup releases an album of new original material, seems obvious they're only in it for the money. Axl's Chinese Democracy is now 10 years old, and I bet Slash and Duff feel foolish playing those songs. Same can be said for the new versions of the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, but at least those two bands are talking about the possibility of new material. As far as I know, Guns'N'Roses haven't talked about any of that (?), though the rumour is Axl/DC will be recording a new album. And "Steely Dan"...will there ever be a new album under that name? Same can be said for the Stones now that I think of it, but at least they're talking about it also. 13 years and counting without an original album, and currently touring songs that are decades old...

rumors have been floating around for years that axl turned in another album in 2013 or 2014 and because chinese democracy album went platinum management refused to release it until a reunion with slash had happened. there are at least 9 known songs , some in leaked for, that are floating around.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 19, 2018 06:32

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
strat72
As soon as I heard Izzy and Adler were not involved I knew this comeback was 95% about cash, and that's when I decided to give it a miss. When a band does a tour for mostly nothing more than money, it's not gonna go well, and judging by the comments from people I know who went to both Berlin and Donnington, it's a tragic parody of what was once a good band.

Shame......

Yes, and until this current lineup releases an album of new original material, seems obvious they're only in it for the money. Axl's Chinese Democracy is now 10 years old, and I bet Slash and Duff feel foolish playing those songs. Same can be said for the new versions of the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, but at least those two bands are talking about the possibility of new material. As far as I know, Guns'N'Roses haven't talked about any of that (?), though the rumour is Axl/DC will be recording a new album. And "Steely Dan"...will there ever be a new album under that name? Same can be said for the Stones now that I think of it, but at least they're talking about it also. 13 years and counting without an original album, and currently touring songs that are decades old...

rumors have been floating around for years that axl turned in another album in 2013 or 2014 and because chinese democracy album went platinum management refused to release it until a reunion with slash had happened. there are at least 9 known songs , some in leaked for, that are floating around.

Maybe Axl should release it as a solo album, as I doubt Slash (and Duff) want anything to do with it under the Guns'N'Roses banner.
Can't imagine them wanting to promote an album that they didn't play on.

Wondering whatever happened to Buckethead? And Bumblefoot? lol...

Posted by: erad ()
Date: June 19, 2018 06:58

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
strat72

Shame......

Maybe Axl should release it as a solo album, as I doubt Slash (and Duff) want anything to do with it under the Guns'N'Roses banner.

Buckethead has had, to the say the least, a prolific career, with 305 albums released.

Date: June 19, 2018 07:09

erad
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
strat72

Shame......

Buckethead has had, to the say the least, a prolific career, with 305 albums released.

Yes I just read that on wiki.

"During 2014, Buckethead continued releasing albums at an even faster pace. Sixty albums were released throughout the year, averaging one album every six days". eye popping smiley lol

Reminds me of the quote from Keith: "being prolific don't mean sh*t".

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 19, 2018 09:54

strat72

Shame......

There's another band currently on tour, with only 3 original members, with a set list where a track from 1981 (actually a left-over from 1977) as the newest song, grossing $5 million per show.

Mathijs

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 19, 2018 10:19

Friend of mine saw Guns just last night in Paris boonies at the Download...says they were great. If his singing had been bad she would have said so, so it seems like whatever bad nights he had recently were just isolated (spaghetti?) incidents.

Posted by: samMuc ()
Date: June 19, 2018 10:27

I disagree that this reunion is all about money. Of course it probabely plays a roll but there are also other factors. Both Guns n Roses before the reunion as well as Velvet Revolver/Slash weren' t really successful. Guns n Roses barrely filled arenas and Slash played Club size gigs and some afternoon slots on festivals. After the success they had before the split, in the long term this must be very frustrating. I also don' t see them playing less enthusiastic compared to the Use your illusion tour. I mean they play 3+ hours sets nowadays. On the Use your illusion tour you could be lucky to get 20 songs. They even play Velevet Revolver songs. All of the bad reviews I red were mostly about the sound and a few about Axl' s voice beeing in a bad shape. I'm pretty sure this tour is just the beginning of a reunited Guns n Roses.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: June 19, 2018 10:54

FrogSugar
Friend of mine saw Guns just last night in Paris boonies at the Download...says they were great. If his singing had been bad she would have said so, so it seems like whatever bad nights he had recently were just isolated (spaghetti?) incidents.

I was there too. Axl was OK, Slash was boring with long solo without melody, really boring. Somewhere I prefer the other guitarist.
Duff was Duff, always like he was 18 years old with "Bonsoir mother-fukers", boring too. I don't like his playing. The probleme with festival or concert is the sound, too much bass.
They play several covers from other artits for example "Wish you where here" from the Floyd. They played more than 3 hours. Many instrumentals or long solos, during these, Axl left the stage to save his voice (I think).
There was "Greta von Fleet" too. On record they are really Led Zeppelin but on stage, it's nothing, the singer's voice is boring and the rest is demonstration.
On the other hand, french potates and beer were good...

Date: June 19, 2018 10:58

I'd say they sound ok now. But Axl needs some exercise to avoid getting out of breath smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 19, 2018 12:15

RollingFreak
Dan
RollingFreak
I truly think they would have. I get Duff's appeal, and being able to say 3 key members is better than two, and Duff is recognizable with the long hair and stuff (and as my friend said who became a fan during UYI "the band to me has always been Axl, Slash and Duff. That was who was on that tour."). Although there's a hilarious video where it was a guy asking people in the parking lot who the 3 people are and NO ONE knew Duff. The reunion would have been FINE without Axl and Slash and I truly don't think 80% of the general public know or care who Duff is. They want those two and thats it. But like you say, it lends more legitimacy, I think even moreso to hardcores than casuals. Casuals are going as long as Slash is there.

For Duff's presence and work over the years, and for bringing this reunion even to the table and setting it up, he deserves that money. I think, for the music they are playing and living off of every night mostly written by Izzy, Izzy deserves the same. They do different things but have both contributed massively in that second tier under Axl and Slash. You pay Izzy what you pay Duff or you do what Izzy did and say piss off, at least IMO. People then argue Izzy only wants money. Well yeah, but the reason he's not there is because Axl and Slash wouldn't accept LESS! Izzy deserves fair compensation for the music they are playing every night even though I will agree and wouldn't argue for a second anyone can do his job and most people don't care.

I will go one further and say all you need for a reunion is Axl and the hat. That hat is selling most of the tickets.

>grinning smiley< Good call, you're honestly not wrong.

So that's what it's come to? How pathetic...well I can understand a fan of Appetite and UIY who was too young to see them back in the day but others? Especially with the lack of original or even semi-original members like Sorum and Clarke? Axl calling Slash a cancer? Really beats me.

And man 3 hour shows, this is ridiculous, especially with the endless interludes, covers and all that crap. What's the value in that? Must be dreadful for the guys who know their 5 well known songs and just want to "see the hat". An intense and energetic 1.5 hour show like what the Arctic Monkeys put on these days is where it's at!

It's silly but I'm so disgusted by this "not in this lifetime" tour that I don't even want to listen to Appetite and UIY anymore, not that anyone cares ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 19, 2018 14:49

samMuc
I disagree that this reunion is all about money. Of course it probabely plays a roll but there are also other factors. Both Guns n Roses before the reunion as well as Velvet Revolver/Slash weren' t really successful. Guns n Roses barrely filled arenas and Slash played Club size gigs and some afternoon slots on festivals. After the success they had before the split, in the long term this must be very frustrating. I also don' t see them playing less enthusiastic compared to the Use your illusion tour. I mean they play 3+ hours sets nowadays. On the Use your illusion tour you could be lucky to get 20 songs. They even play Velevet Revolver songs. All of the bad reviews I red were mostly about the sound and a few about Axl' s voice beeing in a bad shape. I'm pretty sure this tour is just the beginning of a reunited Guns n Roses.
Lol while thats optimistic, its sadly just not true I don't think. What this is the beginning of is an endless never ending tour that they will do till they can't anymore. Realistically, Axl probably has like 5 years left in him? At a truly competent level if he tries. They clearly have no interest in recording new music and they don't NEED to do anything. New music would give it legitimacy but NO ONE cares about it. No one goes to the shows to hear it. Slash has a solo album coming out in September and is back to his club size mid afternoon slot festival touring which he'll probably do in between Guns and Axl AC/DC stuff. I think there's more to money to it, but also at this point its basically the easiest check they can get and I assume they'll just milk that for all its worth.

Axl has a ton of music from Chinese allegedly and has said Slash and Duff have added some stuff to it. But who knows, I really doubt its coming out. One thing Axl won't do is release it as a solo album because he has clearly never had any interest in that. He sees whatever he does as Guns N Roses. And if anyone should be disgusted by anything its the ticket buying public. They pay these prices and feed this beast. It is pathetic but thats the world we live in. I blame them more than the bands and have been doing that for about 15 years. The concert business is so backwards but people will just spend money on anything. The fact that Guns N Roses, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan etc are out in the forms they are charging what they charge and doing well from it is laughable to me. But it does well so obviously they get the last laugh over me. If people enjoy it fine but I think most of it is dumb and disgusting.

Date: June 19, 2018 15:31

gotdablouse
RollingFreak
Dan
RollingFreak
I truly think they would have. I get Duff's appeal, and being able to say 3 key members is better than two, and Duff is recognizable with the long hair and stuff (and as my friend said who became a fan during UYI "the band to me has always been Axl, Slash and Duff. That was who was on that tour."). Although there's a hilarious video where it was a guy asking people in the parking lot who the 3 people are and NO ONE knew Duff. The reunion would have been FINE without Axl and Slash and I truly don't think 80% of the general public know or care who Duff is. They want those two and thats it. But like you say, it lends more legitimacy, I think even moreso to hardcores than casuals. Casuals are going as long as Slash is there.

For Duff's presence and work over the years, and for bringing this reunion even to the table and setting it up, he deserves that money. I think, for the music they are playing and living off of every night mostly written by Izzy, Izzy deserves the same. They do different things but have both contributed massively in that second tier under Axl and Slash. You pay Izzy what you pay Duff or you do what Izzy did and say piss off, at least IMO. People then argue Izzy only wants money. Well yeah, but the reason he's not there is because Axl and Slash wouldn't accept LESS! Izzy deserves fair compensation for the music they are playing every night even though I will agree and wouldn't argue for a second anyone can do his job and most people don't care.

I will go one further and say all you need for a reunion is Axl and the hat. That hat is selling most of the tickets.

So that's what it's come to? How pathetic...well I can understand a fan of Appetite and UIY who was too young to see them back in the day but others? Especially with the lack of original or even semi-original members like Sorum and Clarke? Axl calling Slash a cancer? Really beats me.

And man 3 hour shows, this is ridiculous, especially with the endless interludes, covers and all that crap. What's the value in that? Must be dreadful for the guys who know their 5 well known songs and just want to "see the hat". An intense and energetic 1.5 hour show like what the Arctic Monkeys put on these days is where it's at!

It's silly but I'm so disgusted by this "not in this lifetime" tour that I don't even want to listen to Appetite and UIY anymore, not that anyone cares ;-)

you sound jaded and your post almost seems like its partly defending the rolling stones doing pretty much a greatest hits setlist every night the past 8 years or so which many here complain about

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 19, 2018 16:06

DandelionPowderman
I'd say they sound ok now. But Axl needs some exercise to avoid getting out of breath smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]
I don't understand people saying they sound bad. The BAND itself is very tight...Axl's voice is really worn out though. I can't believe how rough he sounds compared to last October, when he was still hitting all the notes.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 19, 2018 16:43

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]
I don't understand people saying they sound bad. The BAND itself is very tight...Axl's voice is really worn out though. I can't believe how rough he sounds compared to last October, when he was still hitting all the notes.

Not too bad at all. He did sound fantastic though when he was sitting down on that chair after he broke his leg.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 19, 2018 17:50

Imho the problem with the reformed G&R is the drummer : this guy is even stiffer and shuffle-less than Matt Sorum.
Sure the click track in the guy's IEMs doesn't help...

Date: June 19, 2018 19:10

gotdablouse
RollingFreak
Dan
RollingFreak

But what do you think the Stones do; Same thing. 3 originals members, no new album, some songs too long and I don't talk about playing... sometimes they don't play the same song or with the wrong guitar...!

Date: June 20, 2018 00:58

I know you've had nothing good to say about the Stones for as long as I can remember but how can you even begin to compare a band with the Stones' body of work and legacy with a band that released 2 albums and that's always behaved terribly with seemingly little care for anyone but themselves. At the very least when you see the Stones there's still an illusion (see what I did there) that you're back to when you first saw them. Imagine what it takes to do what they do at their age ? Contrast to Guns'n'Roses with a singer that looks like he's about to keel over, musicians that look lost on stage, etc...

@keefriffhard4life - I'm not jaded I'm disgusted and puzzled.

RollingFreak
Lol while thats optimistic, its sadly just not true I don't think. What this is the beginning of is an endless never ending tour that they will do till they can't anymore. Realistically, Axl probably has like 5 years left in him? At a truly competent level if he tries. They clearly have no interest in recording new music and they don't NEED to do anything. New music would give it legitimacy but NO ONE cares about it. No one goes to the shows to hear it. Slash has a solo album coming out in September and is back to his club size mid afternoon slot festival touring which he'll probably do in between Guns and Axl AC/DC stuff. I think there's more to money to it, but also at this point its basically the easiest check they can get and I assume they'll just milk that for all its worth.

Axl has a ton of music from Chinese allegedly and has said Slash and Duff have added some stuff to it. But who knows, I really doubt its coming out. One thing Axl won't do is release it as a solo album because he has clearly never had any interest in that. He sees whatever he does as Guns N Roses. And if anyone should be disgusted by anything its the ticket buying public. They pay these prices and feed this beast. It is pathetic but thats the world we live in. I blame them more than the bands and have been doing that for about 15 years. The concert business is so backwards but people will just spend money on anything. The fact that Guns N Roses, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan etc are out in the forms they are charging what they charge and doing well from it is laughable to me. But it does well so obviously they get the last laugh over me. If people enjoy it fine but I think most of it is dumb and disgusting.

Exactly !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-20 01:02 by gotdablouse.

Date: June 21, 2018 11:19

For those who are interested:
The show at the Download Festival in Bretigny sur Orge, France.
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 21, 2018 18:44

I saw GNR 3 times on the NITL tour and compared to the recent Stones shows I was at Guns are a joke. Boring, too many covers, and Axls voice is brutal mostly. There’s flashes of the old Guns at times but the 3 hour shows (an hour of covers almost) are boring for large parts. The Stones by comparison are still a proper band. They don’t sound like they did in 72, but I don’t expect them to, they still sound like a band however! The songs might be changed to accommodate age but they are still sounding great and look like they are enjoying it. Guns just sound like a pay check.

Much like Keith is the soul of The Stones, Izzy was the soul of GnR and without him Guns have no integrity. Duff and Slash obviously accepted getting @#$%& when they rejoined the band. No interviews and playing that tripe form Chinese Democracy shows they are still Axls minions. The band has no integrity.

Much as I love GNR 86-93, their output compared to The Stones is not even in the same league. Possibly if the illusions albums had some of the shit cut and had been released as a single album it might have been their exile, and appetite is obviously a classic, but compared to what The Stones have released over the years it’s men and boys.

The Stones aren’t what they were in their heyday, but how they sound now compared to the gap between GNRs heyday and how they sound now is light years apart. GNR have turned into an excercise in grabola. The super deluxe appetite rerelease is $1299 CAD. How the @#$%& can they justify that. I think in the spirit of the old band, I should steal it instead of buying the @#$%& thing! grinning smiley (Or now that I too am an old @#$%&, I’ll wait until it drops in price)

Bottom line for me is The Stones never lacked integrity any time I saw them, GnR had it when I saw them in 92 but not the 6-8 times I’ve saw them since. The only time they felt like a band on the recent tour was during their Layla cover. The rest is an anemic version of what once was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-21 18:47 by Paddy.

Date: June 21, 2018 20:18

Great post Paddy.

But they do a cover of Layla? eye popping smiley The Derek and the Domino's classic?confused smiley

Sacrilegious bastards....angry smiley...they ought to keep their greasy hands off such sacred ground. winking smiley

Date: June 21, 2018 20:21

Hairball
Great post Paddy.

But they do a cover of Layla? eye popping smiley The Derek and the Domino's classic?confused smiley

Sacrilegious bastards....angry smiley...they ought to keep their greasy hands off such sacred ground. winking smiley

they do the layla outro , piano and guitar outro, and that's it

Date: June 21, 2018 21:03

Paddy
...and playing that tripe form Chinese Democracy shows they are still Axls minions...

They ARE playing a Velvet Revolver song though, apparently grinning smiley

Date: June 21, 2018 22:46

Thanks for confirming what it looked like from the outside as a former uberfan (heck I even like some stuff on CD!) totally disgusted by the reunion shenanigans and appalled by the videos visible on YouTube with musicians who look lost on stage while fatso wails and puffs around. How can the casual punter enjoy this when you as a fan find it boring?

What are the Sex Pistols waiting for to reunite and try to see who's the biggest R'n'R swindle!

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-21 23:43 by gotdablouse.

Date: June 21, 2018 23:04

gotdablouse
Thanks for confirming what it looked like from the outside as a former uberfan (heck I even like some stuff on CD!) totally disgusted by the reunion shenanigans and appalled by the videos visible on YouTube with musicians who look lost on stage while fatso wails and puffs around. How can the casual punter enjoy this when you as a fan find it boring?

What are the Sex Pistols waiting for to reunite and try to see who's the biggest R'n'Rb swindle!

smiling smiley

The question now is, who has grown heftier over the years - Axl or Johnny Rotten? Tough call...

Date: June 22, 2018 03:13

Hairball

The question now is, who has grown heftier over the years - Axl or Johnny Rotten? Tough call...

Had to Google Johnny Rotten pix to see what he looks like today...lol.

JR has every right to be fat, Axl does not have this right!!!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 22, 2018 05:32

Paddy
Much like Keith is the soul of The Stones, Izzy was the soul of GnR and without him Guns have no integrity. Duff and Slash obviously accepted getting @#$%& when they rejoined the band. No interviews and playing that tripe form Chinese Democracy shows they are still Axls minions. The band has no integrity.
I disagree with a good deal of your post. Not a ton, but just slightly. Having said that, I do thing this paragraph is spot on. I truly never saw Slash or Duff joining without Izzy, mainly because they've always seemed to know what real GNR is and figured if they rejoined it was all or none. Add in that I also never in a million years thought Slash would be playing Chinese Democracy stuff... yes, I lost a lot of respect for him on this tour. If they're having fun, great, but for years I defended Slash saying he was not Axl's bitch and then all he did on this tour was basically like Axl do exactly that. I just thought he had more integrity and truly never thought I'd see Slash back in Guns without Izzy and playing Chinese songs. That was a heavy blow and I got over it but its still never felt right.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 22, 2018 10:31

RollingFreak
Paddy
I disagree with a good deal of your post. Not a ton, but just slightly. Having said that, I do thing this paragraph is spot on. I truly never saw Slash or Duff joining without Izzy, mainly because they've always seemed to know what real GNR is and figured if they rejoined it was all or none. Add in that I also never in a million years thought Slash would be playing Chinese Democracy stuff... yes, I lost a lot of respect for him on this tour. If they're having fun, great, but for years I defended Slash saying he was not Axl's bitch and then all he did on this tour was basically like Axl do exactly that. I just thought he had more integrity and truly never thought I'd see Slash back in Guns without Izzy and playing Chinese songs. That was a heavy blow and I got over it but its still never felt right.

What you think he was going to end up homeless to not play a few Chinese Democracy songs? smiling smiley smiling smiley Not only would have nothing to do with integrity, it would be stupid and irresponsible to do otherwise.

His house he overpaid for was underwater and his ex-wife was ready to completely obliterate him, reunion or not.

The real reason to not play any songs off Chinese Democracy is not a single paying customer wants to hear anything off that album in lieu of Think About You or Locomotive and anyone who says otherwise is lying or just another message board headcase.

Now the big surprise is I always thought Axl would have enough integrity to always go onstage when he wants to, not when Live Nation tells him to.

And promoters have been bidding a reunion since 2006 and Slash was the only one required to make it a legit marketable event.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 22, 2018 20:06

This thread amazes me. We bitch the Stones won't play new material, but bitch that Guns 'n' Roses does. We bitch Guns 'n' Roses suck and are only in it for the money and when someone points out many say the same about the Stones, we trot out the argument that the Stones are legends and Guns 'n' Roses aren't in the same league. More often than not I change the dial when a Guns 'n' Roses song comes on. I've never owned a CD. I'm happy most of the classic line-up reformed because it's what fans wanted. Picking on Axyl for getting fat, but loving Mick Taylor and Bobby Keys is hypocritical. I'm happy some people enjoy them. Hopefully the incessant negativity of the internet doesn't scare them off.

Posted by: ferda ()
Date: June 22, 2018 20:39

Rocky Dijon
This thread amazes me. We bitch the Stones won't play new material, but bitch that Guns 'n' Roses does. We bitch Guns 'n' Roses suck and are only in it for the money and when someone points out many say the same about the Stones, we trot out the argument that the Stones are legends and Guns 'n' Roses aren't in the same league. More often than not I change the dial when a Guns 'n' Roses song comes on. I've never owned a CD. I'm happy most of the classic line-up reformed because it's what fans wanted. Picking on Axyl for getting fat, but loving Mick Taylor and Bobby Keys is hypocritical. I'm happy some people enjoy them. Hopefully the incessant negativity of the internet doesn't scare them off.
+1
I have to admit that I am equally looking forward to my next Stones' and Guns' show in the first week of July. After having seen both of them several times in 2017/18, I can tell that both had highs and lows during the shows but I enjoyed the concerts a lot as they are among the best live acts, are amazing musicians and have great stage presence. Hope it lasts... ;-)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 22, 2018 21:43

Rocky Dijon
This thread amazes me.

At least in 2012 Mick (Axl) didn't reunite with Keith (Slash) leaving Ron (Izzy) and Charlie (Steven) behind cause he didn't want to "split the loot".
Mick didn't hire a boring metronomic drummer who can only play thru click-tracks and he didn't force Keith (Slash) toplay material from his solo album (Chinese Democracy).
The 2012-now incarnation of the Stones is far more respectable than the 2016-??? G&R "reformation" which to my eyes is very akin to the 2007 Police return = "I hate you you hate me. We'll never create new music together, let's just pretend we enjoy each other's company till the coffers are full. Then we'll never see each others again".

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home