Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
OT: Guns 'n' Roses summer 2018 in Europe
Posted by: nikola0406 ()
Date: November 10, 2017 18:26

Hi guys. Does anyone of you know is there a some kind of a Lucky Dip tickets for u G'n'R concerts? What I mean, did they had that on this year's tour? Thanks a lot. Planing on Firenza Italy 15.06.2018.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 22:01 by bv.

Re: Guns 'n' Roses summer 2018 in Europe
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 10, 2017 18:39

There are no Lucky Dip tickets. They have a few contests through radio and lotteries like all bands do via their sites and others like Sirius XM and such, but pretty much a buy at onsale time or take the risk on the secondary market or day of if they don't sell out. No other way around it, this GNR tour is expensive if you want to attend.

Posted by: zeus ()
Date: November 10, 2017 18:47

I can't really find any excuse to listen to Axl Rose being so inattentive to his form and trying to hit high notes as he used to, of course the rest of the band rocks but Axl is no Mick!

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 10, 2017 18:52

Is Izzy back? If not, I'll give it a miss......

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 10, 2017 18:56

Watched them 3 times last year and they were great.The main reason I wanted to watch them was to see Slash play but I will say that Axl was superb as well.
The 3 shows I attended tickets were going outside very cheaply €20 in Paris.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-10 18:57 by Nate.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 10, 2017 19:03

Axl is actually singing extremely well. I just saw them a couple weeks ago and was very impressed by the entire show. The show was too bloated with cover songs, but overall, it was excellent.

Date: November 10, 2017 19:03

strat72
Is Izzy back? If not, I'll give it a miss......
Definitely no Izzy.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 10, 2017 19:49

Nate
Watched them 3 times this year and they were great.The main reason I wanted to watch them was to see Slash play but I will say that Axl was superb as well.
The 3 shows I attended tickets were going outside very cheaply €20 in Paris.

Nate

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: November 10, 2017 20:27

Get tix to download festival n make your way down front.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 11, 2017 12:26

That's funny I also paid approximately 20 Euro (200 SEK) to see them in Stockholm. Wouldn't have paid a dime more, got a show worth exactly for what I was paying.

Posted by: nikola0406 ()
Date: November 11, 2017 12:31

Was that from an official ticket shop or from some guy on a street? I ask that just to know how it goes.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 11, 2017 14:40

Hello Nikola! I bought it from a guy ouside the stadium he had the ticket in his phone so he just scanned it for me and wished me a good show. arrived just in time for the first song. Ok, it wasn't a pit (if that existed) but I ain't such a big fan, just wanted to get the vibes.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: November 11, 2017 15:07

Might go to Paris suburb show, but they haven't announced the other bands yet. Guns Download is on a f$$king Monday (and Ozzy headlines the Friday)...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 11, 2017 15:34

they sure are milking it for all it's worth...go see metallica. they were much better. saw both bands in the same stadium about a year apart. gnr played a real long time but metallica were much more lively. & they had some good new material!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 11, 2017 16:00

Yep, used to be a big fan, the first album of course but the UYI albums were quite something, made RnR matter again, but that "reunion" leaves somewhat of what a bad taste. Izzy "uninvited" Stradlin', Steven "kicked out" Adler, etc...and yes it might sound a bit trite but this is show business after all and Axl is horrible to look at these days, how he could let that happen to him, honestly. Besides I can't believe Slash is still playing that same Godfather stuff that was already boring in 1992! But hey they're raking it in, so it can't be all wrong, I'm guessing the people going there aren't those that were swept away between 1987 and 1992 though.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 11, 2017 17:22

I saw Guns N'Roses in Stockholm this summer and I'd say Axl did a pretty fine job.

Overlength and that stupid talkbox by Slash that ruined Rocket Queen are the only criticism as far as I'm concerned.

I bet they will kick ass in Gothenburg next summer.

Date: November 11, 2017 18:57

Their tour is absolutely fantastic. Will def see them again

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 11, 2017 19:41

gotdablouse
Yep, used to be a big fan, the first album of course but the UYI albums were quite something, made RnR matter again, but that "reunion" leaves somewhat of what a bad taste. Izzy "uninvited" Stradlin', Steven "kicked out" Adler, etc...and yes it might sound a bit trite but this is show business after all and Axl is horrible to look at these days, how he could let that happen to him, honestly. Besides I can't believe Slash is still playing that same Godfather stuff that was already boring in 1992! But hey they're raking it in, so it can't be all wrong, I'm guessing the people going there aren't those that were swept away between 1987 and 1992 though.

Agree with all of this except for the Use Your Illusion albums which had only a handful of good tunes spread out over both of them with You Could Be Mine being the only tune that might be considered truly worthy. The covers of Knocking on Heavens Door and Live and Let Die - while maybe popular - were horrible. They should have called it quits after Appetite for Destruction, and left well enough alone imo. When you start at the top, there's usually only one way left to go - in their case spiraling out of control in a downward direction faster than a speeding bullet. But who am I to say - many people are still enjoying seeing them!

Maybe...just maybe...they will write and record some new material rather than continuing to milk it. Maybe even just and EP? Or even a single? As it stands they're basically a tribute to themselves minus some of the core members. Imagine if Mick and Keith did the same without Charlie and Ronnie...it's almost unthinkable. Yes the Stones play mostly old stuff, but at least all key members are present.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: November 11, 2017 19:46

Il check them in Tallinn and hopefully Berlin

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 11, 2017 19:59

Hairball

Agree with all of this except for the Use Your Illusion albums which had only a handful of good tunes spread out over both of them with You Could Be Mine being the only tune that might be considered truly worthy. The covers of Knocking on Heavens Door and Live and Let Die - while maybe popular - were horrible.

Yeah they really shown what was wrong with this album : a clean lush sound! When I came home with one UYI CD I put it on the player and I thought : "wtf is this radio-friendly production??".
The dirty nasty sound of AFD was gone for good and it was a disatrous creative decision (worse imo than hiring the solid but boring Sorum).

They should have hired Steve Albini to mix the album... And ghess who they chose in the 1st place? Bob Clearmountain, the guy responsible for the (now very dated imo) "Tattoo You" sound.

Yeah Slash and Axl wanted a mainstream family-friendly sound for UYI. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 11, 2017 20:18

Yes dcba, and they also could have and should whittled it all down to a single album - trying to get through two of those was a chore. Way too much overindulgence on their part. Having seen them open for Aeorsmith during the Appetite album and completely stealing the show, followed by seeing them open for the Stones at the L.A. Coliseum a bit later - they had turned in to a bloated whale carcass doomed to explode (or implode) which they did with Axl's onstage ranting - an all around horrible show.

Date: November 11, 2017 21:21

Appetite is flawless.

GNR Lies is a gem.

Use Your Illusion 1 AND 2 are both equally fantastic. There's like 2-3 songs between the two records that aren't so great (5 if you include My World and Don't Cry alternate which aren't really songs).

The Spaghetti Incident is an awesome covers record.

Chinese Democracy is not a Guns N Roses album.

They have a great catalogue. Their live album sucks, which is amazing cause they sounded so good live, but thats life.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 11, 2017 22:46

RollingFreak

Use Your Illusion 1 AND 2 are both equally fantastic.

If you manage to trim them down to 50 minute records (each). AFD lasts 53' and imo that's exactly what each UYI record should have lasted.

The "we'll fill each CD to the brim/76min discs" was a bad idea (imo again).

And... in these PC-infused times is it OK to say "One In A Million" is a great song? With one of Slash's best solo ever?

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 11, 2017 23:09

RollingFreak
Appetite is flawless.

GNR Lies is a gem.

Use Your Illusion 1 AND 2 are both equally fantastic. There's like 2-3 songs between the two records that aren't so great (5 if you include My World and Don't Cry alternate which aren't really songs).

The Spaghetti Incident is an awesome covers record.

Chinese Democracy is not a Guns N Roses album.

They have a great catalogue. Their live album sucks, which is amazing cause they sounded so good live, but thats life.

I disagree.......

AFD.......A classic

Lies....... Very average with a few good tracks.

UYA 1&2....... Two average albums that should have been one good album.

TSI.......... A lazy poor effort.

CD............. Utter shite.

Date: November 11, 2017 23:51

dcba
RollingFreak

Use Your Illusion 1 AND 2 are both equally fantastic.

If you manage to trim them down to 50 minute records (each). AFD lasts 53' and imo that's exactly what each UYI record should have lasted.

The "we'll fill each CD to the brim/76min discs" was a bad idea (imo again).

And... in these PC-infused times is it OK to say "One In A Million" is a great song? With one of Slash's best solo ever?

It is, because its an excellent song. One of my favorites. I also maintain GNR Lies is a gem. Patience and Used To Love Her are obviously fantastic. Reckless Life and Move To The City are excellent. We already discussed One In A Million. Their covers of Mama Kin and Nice Boys are great. I really don't see what is "average" about the record. Sure its two EPs put together, but there's not a bad song on either side.

I understand the trimming them down. I'll obviously admit that their lack of much else has helped them age better, IMO, because I've been able to discover those albums in full because I have nothing else. I completely believe you can't make ONE great record from those two. There's too much good that'll get lost. This is basically your album:

[en.wikipedia.org]

And thats over an hour and still missing great stuff like Coma, Perfect Crime, Bad Obsession, Breakdown, You Could Be Mine, Dust N Bones, Right Next Door To Hell. I'm sorry, I think if you make a 50 minute album you miss at least two essential songs. And I truly don't think thats me being an apologist or slanted towards them. I sincerely believe there's 90 minutes of incredible material on there. I'd concede that you could have two 45 minute albums instead of two 75 minute ones, but I don't think you can fit all the best stuff on just one record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-11 23:53 by RollingFreak.

Date: November 12, 2017 06:53

gotdablouse

all reports are axl takes some medication that has steroids in it that causes his bloated look. once he got use to the medication its clear he's drop about 15 pounds.

Date: November 12, 2017 06:59

I thought Chinese democracy was great

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 12, 2017 12:04

Yeah there is some good stuff on CD, TWAT and Better come to mind. It's just that it was horribly bloated overall, how many friggin' credits were there for the songwriting!? The nadir of GnR has to be that 3D Blu-Ray with all these flashy guitar players though, unbelievably over the top.

While UYI were, er..."indulgent", there was a craziness about them tand the whole vibe around their creation and release that harks back to times long gone. Is it maybe the last really "anticipated" rock release?

Didn't know about Axl's possible medical issues that would cause him to look so "neglected". Still makes me sad to see what they've become, some sort of rich man's Whitesnake?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 12, 2017 12:34

gotdablouse
Yeah there is some good stuff on CD, TWAT and Better come to mind. It's just that it was horribly bloated overall, how many friggin' credits were there for the songwriting!? The nadir of GnR has to be that 3D Blu-Ray with all these flashy guitar players though, unbelievably over the top.

While UYI were, er..."indulgent", there was a craziness about them tand the whole vibe around their creation and release that harks back to times long gone. Is it maybe the last really "anticipated" rock release?

Didn't know about Axl's possible medical issues that would cause him to look so "neglected". Still makes me sad to see what they've become, some sort of rich man's Whitesnake?

go look up pics of axl around 2008. still pretty lean looking. all the sudden in 2010 he looks bloated, puffy faced, etc. several people have said its because of a medication he takes that contains a steroid. if anyone here has ever taken something for a long time with a steroid in it they can verify that weight gain and a bloated appearance are a side effect. he is slimmer now though than he was 3-4 years ago. probably his body has adjusted itself

Date: November 12, 2017 16:55

Prednisone is a strong corticosteroid that causes facial bloating and weight gain as a side effect. That kind of looks like what happened to Axl.

He's also got well-known mental health issues, so if he's taking antidepressants, those also affect peoples' weight.

He seems to be on an even keel lately, so something is working right for him in his personal and professional life.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home