Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Devil's advocate: re. current price of RS tickets
Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: September 16, 2005 20:58

Sorry if this has been discussed... Just for the sake of it... I hear moaning about expensive seats, that's fine, they dont't need the money, etc...
Now a group like U2 must not charge 7.50 for an average seat in 2005. U2 is four guys. The Rolling Stones current thing is, what, 13 (?) professional musicians on the stage, plus all the associated musical instrument techs... That is to say nothing of all the other technical aspects (two stages to build, one that is retractable, etc.)... But then I ignore what U2, to stick to this comparison, have to cover with their own act.
What do you think in this respect?

Re: Devil's advocate: re. current price of RS tickets
Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: September 16, 2005 21:09

How has the crew and expenseschanged that much from 1994 when the tickets were all $45.US ??? Now they are something like an average cost of 166.25? I'd love to see the cost breakdown for the tour. I remember Mick saying that the costs for the shows are OK since Jewel was getting 40.00 a pop for her show and surely the Stones should get more. Agreed...

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: September 16, 2005 21:22

The costs really don't matter to me. The Stones are providing a certain entertainment product at a particular price. Is that price worth the entertainment value? During the No Security and Licks tours I went for the more expensive seats, and didn't feel like I got a good value. This tour I limited myself to one show and $100 tickets. That is my value proposition, others have their own. But, the Stones' cost structure really is irrelevant, except for the amount of entertainment their extra costs might provide.

Karl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-16 21:23 by KSIE.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 16, 2005 21:24

It's not the number of people on stage, it's what the market will bear.

The market for the Stones--in the minds of Cohl and the boys--is strong enough to sustain prices at 350-450 in North America, it's almost that simple.
Similarly, they've assumed that there's a market out there that'll pay 1100-2000 for a front stage ticket and a hotel room, and they're largely right at least according to the "sold out" signs that go along with some of the shows for these particular packages--hotel and front of stage packages.

Besides, the larger costs for the Stones (and U2) are logistics: moving 100+ semitrailers around different continents for 18+ months is where a lot of the costs are eaten up.

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: September 16, 2005 22:11

If ticket prices were based on the amount of enjoyment a band's music has given me over the years:

Rolling Stones - priceless
U2 - zero dollars
all rappers - where's my f***ing check???

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: September 16, 2005 23:16

One thing that has actually bothered me about the fan club membership and tickets is the 100.00
I have been a fan for 25 years and can not even begin to think of the money I have already spent on the Stones over the years. I am a fan. But for some reason I have to prove that by paying a hundred dollars? Shouldn't we fans get access to those "special" tickets without paying? It doesn't seem like a big deal because most will charge the fee and the tickets but it is still $100. I can say that I agree with KSIE. It is the price and I am paying what I am willing to pay this time as well. I've gone crazy before and paid for high dollar tickets and travel and all that to see the Stones but I don't do it this time... OK OK... I'm lying... I'm still trying to get to Omaha to see 'em and have a beer with Lil' Brian. BUT THIS IS GONNA BE THE LAST TIME! I MEAN IT! hmmp!

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: September 16, 2005 23:34

Re: camper88's point about logisitical costs, 100+ semi-trailers, etc.

I always thought that the reason/excuse for corporate sponsorship was that those corporate dollars were used to defray the logistical costs. At least that's what the Stones were saying back around the Steel Wheels tour when the corporate sponsor relationship really kicked into high gear. (Yes, I know they had sponsors on earlier tours but it wasn't such a big deal then.) But the current ticket prices seem to contradict that reasoning.

For the record, I'm not arguing for or against high ticket prices, just saying what I recall to add to the discussion. Wish I could provide a cite.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 17, 2005 02:14

Roscoe, I think you're right about the sponsorship stuff. But who gives a ,.... I mean I'm not seeing ANY shows this tour, if I could afford it I'd pay what I could, that simple. Jeez.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-17 02:16 by RankOutsider.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1602
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home