Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The ZIPPER and the damage done...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2017 20:24

I wonder how many millions of dollars in damage have been done through the years just because of the zipper on Sticky Fingers?

I'm just looking ruefully at the cover on Exile at a pull tab impression from the LPs unfortunate chronological placement next to Sticky Fingers. Worse than that, the same impression is on the back cover of Exile as well, because of the unipak packaging it's sometimes confusing, especially if you've had a couple of drinks, to pay attention to whether your replacing the album the correct way, with the title facing out.

But it gets worse...yes it does. Once Exile is removed, Sticky butts up against Goats Head Soup, next in line chronologically. So GHS has the same pull tab zipper impression. God forbid I should take out GHS at the same time or IORR's in the firing range. I guess time waits for no one.

Then there's if I'm in a rush and forget and put Sticky in backwards...now I have a problem with GYYYO. GYYYO doesn't deserve it. It's a London/Decca release, a different era, a different band. But here we go, reaching back in time and Sticky is wreaking havoc with the older part of the catalogue. I'm not sure how this happened, probably laziness/misfiling in the early days but I have the same pull tab zipper impressions front and back of both Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks.

But it gets even worse!

I get the spanish sleeve version...the TREACLE copy, and unfortunately place that next to the US copy. DAMN! How many times has this happened to me through the years, and no doubt millions of others?

I once made the mistake of rearranging the catalogue alphabetically. OK, now Some Girls and Tattoo You are in the danger zone.

And this is just the covers.

What about the vinyl itself? How many Sister Morphine's were ruined during shipping before they decided to just undo the zipper so that we're only ruining the album's label?

Damn you Joe Alessandro and damn you Andy Warhol.

It took until MFSL came out with 1/2 speed mastering that they finally realized that they should just ditch the zipper. CBS did the same thing, but you have to sacrifice a poor vinyl reproduction just to get an undamaged Sister Morphine.

Rant over, for now...

Re: The ZIPPER and the damage done...
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 4, 2017 20:36

treaclefingers
I wonder how many millions of dollars in damage have been done through the years just because of the zipper on Sticky Fingers?

I'm just looking ruefully at the cover on Exile at a pull tab impression from the LPs unfortunate chronological placement next to Sticky Fingers. Worse than that, the same impression is on the back cover of Exile as well, because of the unipak packaging it's sometimes confusing, especially if you've had a couple of drinks, to pay attention to whether your replacing the album the correct way, with the title facing out.

But it gets worse...yes it does. Once Exile is removed, Sticky butts up against Goats Head Soup, next in line chronologically. So GHS has the same pull tab zipper impression. God forbid I should take out GHS at the same time or IORR's in the firing range. I guess time waits for no one.

Then there's if I'm in a rush and forget and put Sticky in backwards...now I have a problem with GYYYO. GYYYO doesn't deserve it. It's a London/Decca release, a different era, a different band. But here we go, reaching back in time and Sticky is wreaking havoc with the older part of the catalogue. I'm not sure how this happened, probably laziness/misfiling in the early days but I have the same pull tab zipper impressions front and back of both Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks.

But it gets even worse!

I get the spanish sleeve version...the TREACLE copy, and unfortunately place that next to the US copy. DAMN! How many times has this happened to me through the years, and no doubt millions of others?

I once made the mistake of rearranging the catalogue alphabetically. OK, now Some Girls and Tattoo You are in the danger zone.

And this is just the covers.

What about the vinyl itself? How many Sister Morphine's were ruined during shipping before they decided to just undo the zipper so that we're only ruining the album's label?

Damn you Joe Alessandro and damn you Andy Warhol.

It took until MFSL came out with 1/2 speed mastering that they finally realized that they should just ditch the zipper. CBS did the same thing, but you have to sacrifice a poor vinyl reproduction just to get an undamaged Sister Morphine.

Rant over, for now...

Or Wild Horses, depending on what side of the LP was damaged by the zipper. grinning smiley

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 4, 2017 21:19

We need to create a zipper-free safe space.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 4, 2017 21:19

The albums were shipped with corrugated cardboard between each record so that a box that normally contained 25 records only contained 15.
To avoid damaging the record playing surface the zip should be down so that it's positioned over the label.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 4, 2017 21:22

[Whew] Soory about your vinyl, but glad it wasn't the beans and franks.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 4, 2017 21:34

Sad Sad Sad

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 4, 2017 21:54

SomeTorontoGirl
[Whew] Soory about your vinyl, but glad it wasn't the beans and franks.

Joe especially would be thankful about that! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 4, 2017 22:05

Wow - thought this was going to be a thread about Hollywood. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 4, 2017 22:34

.... Small troubles treacle ... try goin' commando and gettin' ya own zipper damage .... back it down slow babeeeeeee real slow... aaahhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 5, 2017 00:34

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 5, 2017 00:40

I remember some poor little kid got his weenie stuck in his zipper at school...running around aimlessly and screaming.
He was probably traumatized for life, and I bet he never bought the Sticky Fingers album after that.

Date: November 5, 2017 00:44

Hairball
I remember some poor little kid got his weenie stuck in his zipper at school...running around aimlessly and screaming.
He was probably traumatized for life, and I bet he never bought the Sticky Fingers album after that.

there was always the spanish album version as an alterative. I agree though, better a severed hand than a horribly disfigured weenie.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 5, 2017 00:45

Hairball
He was probably traumatized for life, and I bet he never bought the Sticky Fingers album after that.[/quote

Believe it or not I managed to achieve this 3 times as a kid

Nate hot smiley

Date: November 5, 2017 01:26

Nate
Hairball
He was probably traumatized for life, and I bet he never bought the Sticky Fingers album after that.[/quote

Believe it or not I managed to achieve this 3 times as a kid

Nate hot smiley

Your nickname isn't Natalie by any chance?

Date: November 5, 2017 01:39

I could never figure out why it was called Sticky Fingers.

Then I met a myself a tent show queen
At a carnival when I was just sixteen
I was nervous and I was lookin' at the sky
An then she undertook to show me why tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 5, 2017 01:48

grinning smiley

Date: November 5, 2017 02:23

I have a strip of bubble wrap inside the plastic sleeve of my copy of Ya-Ya's to prevent Sticky Fingers from damaging it. Works pretty well!

Date: November 5, 2017 02:35

Rockman
.... Small troubles treacle ... try goin' commando and gettin' ya own zipper damage .... back it down slow babeeeeeee real slow... aaahhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa

omigosh...are you saying there's just a thin layer of gabardine between you and us?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2017 02:57

Yep treacle ... don't share a packed elevator wiv me .... take the stairs !!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 5, 2017 03:03

NeverMakeASaintOfMe
I have a strip of bubble wrap inside the plastic sleeve of my copy of Ya-Ya's to prevent Sticky Fingers from damaging it. Works pretty well!

Nothing quite worse than getting yer Ya Ya's damaged.
Wait...are you're referring to album covers?!!! Either way, a painful experience!

Date: November 5, 2017 03:09

treaclefingers
Rockman

omigosh...are you saying there's just a thin layer of gabardine between you and us?

Cripes Treacle, there should be at least 2 layers between him and you...unless you’re nekkid! Am starting to think we need a dress code on this forum.

Date: November 5, 2017 03:18

shortfatfanny

Derek Smalls learned from the best.

Date: November 5, 2017 03:36

SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers
Rockman

Cripes Treacle, there should be at least 2 layers between him and you...unless you’re nekkid! Am starting to think we need a dress code on this forum.

yer crampin' our style torrono gurl!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 5, 2017 03:42

ZIP IT!

Works well with my rowdy students.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: November 5, 2017 03:45

The way I've heard it, the original run of Sticky Fingers LPs were all shipped with the zipper all the way up. This resulted in a large amount of defective returns due to the scuffing on the vinyl caused by the zipper. Supposedly London had their employees take their remaining stock out of the shrink wrap, take the zipper down half way so it was over the label, and then had them re-shrinkwrapped. Of course, this was just the U.S. version, as the U.K. copies weren't shrink wrapped. The belief among collectors is that the only true sealed original U.S. press has to have the zipper all the way up.

I have seen countless copies of Sticky Fingers with the telltale scuffing caused by the zipper being all the way up.

Date: November 5, 2017 03:56

treaclefingers
yer crampin' our style torrono gurl!

I think I found your shirt.

Date: November 5, 2017 13:49

My copy of Sticky Fingers resides after Z in my otherwise alphabetically arranged album collection to avoid such drama. ZZ Top will just have to live with it...

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: November 5, 2017 16:36

TALKING about STICKY FINGERS WITH zipper VIRGIN BROUGHT OUT LTD ED OF CDS WITH ORGINAL COVER WITH ZIPPER,I LOVE IT ,NEED TO KEEP AWAY FROM OTHER CDS OR RECORDS.

Date: November 5, 2017 16:46

NeverMakeASaintOfMe

Not Kleenex?

Date: November 5, 2017 16:54

kish_stoned
TALKING about STICKY FINGERS WITH zipper VIRGIN BROUGHT OUT LTD ED OF CDS WITH ORGINAL COVER WITH ZIPPER,I LOVE IT ,NEED TO KEEP AWAY FROM OTHER CDS OR RECORDS.

Kish, 1994 just called, they'd like their post back.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home