Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
No Filter Tour - The weak point...
Posted by: benstones ()
Date: November 4, 2017 00:31

I loved this tour, the music was so great, Mick & Keith were fabulous, everything was perfect except one thing: the stage height...

I really miss the catwalk of the past tours like A Bigger Bang, Forty Licks and Bridges to Babylone. We had a connection with the band that we don't have anymore.

In Paris this year, I was two times next to the catwalk and it was impossible to see Charlie and Ronnie (I was both times on Keith side). And in the last show of the tour, I stood up at the B-stage, I could see a little bit the main stage but it was hard. My wife and my mum couldn't see anything except when Mick was at the B-Stage but that's it.

Here are two videos that really show the different of height.

Sympathy For The Devil, St Louis, 1997: [www.youtube.com]

Under My Thumb, Paris, 2017 (First show) : [www.youtube.com]

I know they will never build a catwalk like in St Louis (Bridges to B.) but at least could they lower the stage?? It ruined my mum's shows in Paris!! She spent a lot of money and she's not even happy about the shows. I understand her because I'm taller than her (I'm 25 cm more than her) and it was hard for me to see good.

What did you think of the No Filter stage???

Benjamin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-04 00:32 by benstones.

Re: No Filter Tour - The weak point...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2017 00:54

I hate to state the obvious but two completely different videos. Isn't it always going to be the case that on the floor you have a certain view of the stage, and in different locations you get different views, sometimes even better?

I've sat everywhere and I can definitely say that for viewing comfort being on either side of the stage at about the same height as the band, in the stands is excellent. Around row 15 maybe?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 4, 2017 01:02

treaclefingers
I hate to state the obvious but two completely different videos. Isn't it always going to be the case that on the floor you have a certain view of the stage, and in different locations you get different views, sometimes even better?

I've sat everywhere and I can definitely say that for viewing comfort being on either side of the stage at about the same height as the band, in the stands is excellent. Around row 15 maybe?

Normally, that’s exactly where I like to be in arena shows. But in these large stadia in Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Paris, I found that they are so large (compared with, say, the O2 in London) there is about 40 feet of empty floor between the stands and the edge of stage, so the band is much farther away and the view is really affected. Much preferred the pit, even though the view wasn’t perfect. And the sound was much better.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 4, 2017 01:23

Yes that central catwalk is not great compared to the 50th "Tongue Pit" for many reasons (better atmosphere, a lot lower) but I wasn't very convenient for the band and other than Mick who went there a bit, Keith and Ronnie barely used it (can only remember them going there during SFTD at the O2).

The current "cross" setup is probably the best one, EXCEPT that as you say it is way too high. I'm 6'3" and couldn't see Bernard, Sasha or Chuck from Keith's side. For the second show I was in the first rows of GA on the left and could of course see everyone on stage a lot better but it wasn't as "immersive" of course. And yes, the seats (even "Carre Or") are way out there, just as bad as the Stade de France, so unless you're taking elderly parents or young kids they're best avoided I think.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 4, 2017 01:45

Leroy the bodyguard on the Australian '73 tour had the prime spot ...

The Altamont dog didn't do too bad either .......

But Yeah agree the No Filter stage is way tooooo high ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 4, 2017 02:04

High as the stage is, it doesn't even nearly compare to the Stage used for Rock Werchter. I've never seen the Stones there but I was at Day 1 of Rock Werchter last year, headlined by Macca. I met some people in the crowd who'd been to the Stones' 14OF show there 2 years previously and they said people in the front few rows couldn't see Charlie. I couldn't see Macca's drummer from my spot in the front row. Anyone who's been will know what I'm talking about. I complained about the height of the stage in the after event questionnaire.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 4, 2017 07:44

I completely agree, the No Filter stage height was too tall. The Zip Code tour and Desert Trip was a better experience for those up close. However, maybe the taller stage was a improved experience for those viewing the show from farther back in the arena.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 4, 2017 08:52

I missed Lisa.
Jeroen

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 4, 2017 10:11

The stage was great and the screen towers worked brilliant.

If you have a problem seeing the stage from the pit or in front of the b-stage/catwalk, you're probably too close to it. The stage and the show are not best viewed upfront. If you are at the very front, your view can be blocked by crew members, security people, photographers, stage height, monitors etc. But if you want to see Mick and Keith as close as possible, that’s the deal. It's all about your priority. Take a few steps back, and you'll have a great view.

I don't like to be directly right in front of the stage, catwalk and/or "b-stage" because the sound from the monitors are annoying; you'll hear the loud echo of Charlie's snare drum most of the time. Take a few steps away from the fence – problem solved.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 4, 2017 11:24

corriecas
I missed Lisa

smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: November 4, 2017 12:04

Was the stage the same height at all concerts? I remember from the pit in Stockholm that it was quite low. But from the pictures it seemed to be higher in Paris?
I am 1.90 and judging from my pictures from Stockholm I guess the stage floor was about 2m, the pictures I took of the catwalk holding my phone up shows the floor of the catwalk (which was higher than the stage)

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 4, 2017 12:32

I miss the b-stage. It gave the setlist some spice in the latter half of the set.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 4, 2017 14:06

On B2B tour they used the catwalk only on one occasion - during SFTD. On No Filter tour Mick spent a coniderable time at the catwalk during entire show. If it was as low, most people on the field would have had troubles seeing him.

Posted by: Cheltie ()
Date: November 4, 2017 14:39

GeorgV
Was the stage the same height at all concerts? I remember from the pit in Stockholm that it was quite low. But from the pictures it seemed to be higher in Paris?
I am 1.90 and judging from my pictures from Stockholm I guess the stage floor was about 2m, the pictures I took of the catwalk holding my phone up shows the floor of the catwalk (which was higher than the stage)

I am quite sure,the stage was not same heights during all concerts. I be been to hamburg, Düsseldorf and arnheim, standing in the pit first row. In Hamburg it was definitely due to the much bigger size of the field. It felt a bit like in a movie theater first row....Düsseldorf and arnheim was fine for me, even if I am really not tall. But of course.. it is not comparable with the 90ties, where you could have the chance to shake hands with Mick or Keith .... times r changing...

And..... me too - I was missing Lisa as well

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 4, 2017 16:21

2 meters sounds about right for Paris too at about mid-length judging by my own 1m90 and the 2m10 of a fan (on IORR too apparently) standing right next to the catwalk on the 1st night. It was a lot shorter than at the SDF 2014 too. Again I think the current "cross" design is the best compromise overall even though it's not as nice as the 50th for pit people.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-05 15:45 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 4, 2017 18:36

"The weak point"?? Hmm...

I think the real weak point of "No Filter" is the fact that the tour is finished...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 4, 2017 18:53

You have a point there laertisflash - sadly only 14 shows, but better than last years mini US run - Desert Trip x 2, *Vegas, and a couple private shows for billionaires.

Here are a few weak points of the tour in general (from the persepctive of someone who didn't attend a show):

No warmup club show.
Newest original song Out of Control ('97) followed by Slipping Away ('89) - correct me if I'm wrong.
Keith stuck in a rut with his two songs, though I always love Happy.
Not a single special guest, and while some would be unwelcome (Katy Perry, Justin Sheeran ? lol, etc.), others would be (Clapton, Buddy Guy, etc.).

Overall though and generally speaking, it seemed like it was successful especially considering their age at this late point in their career.
The stage looked great and the giant tower screens were functional for those viewing from a distance.
As far as the overall performance, debatable...depending on which band memeber...some hit and miss...can't complain.
Mission accomplished and another tour in the history books. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-04 18:55 by Hairball.

Date: November 4, 2017 19:01

"Newest original song Out of Control ('97) followed by Slipping Away ('89) - correct me if I'm wrong)"

No, you are not wrong Hairball. But, at least, one of them ("SA") had been played on every gig.

Agree, the stage looked great. And really enjoyed the two gigs I have attended.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 4, 2017 19:05

for me the weakest point were those extremly static setlists

(and beside that: Chucks keyboards, of course)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-04 19:07 by slewan.

Date: November 4, 2017 19:26

Hairball
Newest original song Out of Control ('97) followed by Slipping Away ('89) - correct me if I'm wrong.

and You Got Me Rocking ('94)

Date: November 4, 2017 19:42

Franzk is right, of course. But let the thread be restored to the stage issue. I somewhat feel liable for thread's "diversion"...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 4, 2017 20:17

corriecas
I missed Lisa.
Jeroen

And Bobby (RIP).

Date: November 4, 2017 21:52

To me the only weak point of No Filter tour was not enough variation in Blue & Lonesome section. The same two songs with occasional change on 2 or 3 occasions was not enough. They should've rotated B&L songs more. Actually all of them deserve to be played live.

Oh, and they should've kept OOC for the entire tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-04 21:54 by franzk.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 4, 2017 22:30

To me the only weak point of No Filter tour was not enough variation in Blue & Lonesome section.

Yeah that's a good point .... They coulda hammered out a blistering Commit A Crime ... a filthy Hoodoo a delicate Lil' Rain ....or a crowd pleasing Everybody Knows About My Good Thang

ROCKMAN

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 4, 2017 22:54

Slight change of direction.

I am sure somebody mentioned that for some reason that some of the faster songs seemed slower.

I went to only Amsterdam and songs like sfm and Brown Sugar did seem slightly slower imho.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: November 5, 2017 00:07

You mean weak POINTS. Keith, set list, prices

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 5, 2017 00:15

potus43

Prices always, can't understand why they do it.

Must be like a branded commodity like Rolex etc.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 5, 2017 01:41

The weak point sorry to say, was a very STALE set list. Sorry, but I think they
need to take a lesson from Springsteen as to how to liven things up.
Forget the blues covers. Too many great original Jagger/Richards tunes have never been played live.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2017 02:43

SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers

Normally, that’s exactly where I like to be in arena shows. But in these large stadia in Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Paris, I found that they are so large (compared with, say, the O2 in London) there is about 40 feet of empty floor between the stands and the edge of stage, so the band is much farther away and the view is really affected. Much preferred the pit, even though the view wasn’t perfect. And the sound was much better.

True, stadiums are a whole different ballgame, although I saw them at Rogers stadium in 2013 (lucky dip tickets, behind the stage in the nosebleeds - upgraded to 15th row left side of stage) - unbelievable view maybe best spot I've ever seen them and I've been pretty close on the floor a couple of times.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: November 5, 2017 13:45

potus43
We get the point, thanks for your input.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2065
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home