Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Darryl Jones should write a book
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 25, 2017 02:26

As someone said here - it's like chemistry. When Bill left they missed a part of the recipe. It doesn't add up like it used to do. And Darryl hasn't filled that gap. He doesn't fit the recipe.
Like Dylan said about Bill leaving: They're a funk band now, aren't they? Or something in that order. I'm sure Darryl is a nice guy though...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 25, 2017 02:50

rebelhipi
Eh, i think Darryl should be promoted to a official member like Ronnie was in the 90s
He deserves it, his playing has improved the band if you ask me.

Agree.
The "but Chuck's been there longer" argument doesn't sway me either.
Chuck is at the top of his rung- sideman/side musical director. Darryl is a band member for twenty three years who has more than carried his weight.
[www.bbc.com]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 25, 2017 02:53

I agree that Darryl is the Stones sound now with one addition. Chuckles...if you played just Darryl and Chuck with the occasional Telecaster belch you have 85% of the Stones current sound. It’s not bad it’s just survival.

Darryl’s best work was with Sting on Children’s Crusade...just majestic

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 25, 2017 03:11

If by some time fluke, Darryl Jones was transported through time and space and got the Stones gig instead of Bill...there would be no Stones.

That's all I got.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 25, 2017 04:31

MisterDDDD
rebelhipi
Eh, i think Darryl should be promoted to a official member like Ronnie was in the 90s

Agree.
Chuck is at the top of his rung- sideman/side musical director. Darryl is a band member for twenty three years who has more than carried his weight.
[www.bbc.com]

More than carried his weight? The general agreement is that he's a sideman whose contribution could be pulled off by just about any competent bass player, at least when it comes to his Stones work. He subtracts if your ears still expect something 'extra' out of the bass on a Stones song. At best he just isn't there. I can think of only a handful of Stones records where his bass is even memorable. 'Love Is Strong' and 'You Got Me Rocking' off Voodoo Lounge are strong, but are also his most 'Wymanesque' playing. After that, with the chance to add his own stamp on the group, he has not.

Not mentioned in this is how Bill could envelop the sound on stage and smooth things out as the boys flailed away on guitars. Maybe the rest of the Stones never understood that Bill was doing that for them.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 25, 2017 05:33

24FPS
Not mentioned in this is how Bill could envelop the sound on stage and smooth things out as the boys flailed away on guitars. Maybe the rest of the Stones never understood that Bill was doing that for them.

It's not an either/or proposition.
That's like saying Ronnie should have not received full membership because you liked Brian better.

Date: October 25, 2017 06:22

MisterDDDD
24FPS

It's not an either/or proposition.
That's like saying Ronnie should have not received full membership because you liked Brian better.

Yes, but Ronnie contributed a hell of a lot more than either Darryl or Chuck. There is no lead guitar in the Stones without Ronnie. Plus we pretty much hews to the records of the Stones guitarists who preceded him, and he has some songs that are his own created leads. Darryl, and to a lesser degree, Chuck, could be replaced tomorrow and they'd barely be missed.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 25, 2017 07:34

If he did, at least it wouldn’t have the same old tired 70’s druggie stories, or 80’s stuck-up kiss asss I know so and so celebrity boring stories *yawn
And I agree it's disrespectful to Darryl on this board a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-25 07:36 by 35love.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 25, 2017 09:42

windmelody
Björnulf should write a book.
why?

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: October 25, 2017 09:55

TooTough
I miss Bill, too.

But Charlie chose Darryl. Period.

And Bill left on his own decision. Never forget that.

Date: October 25, 2017 10:11

24FPS
Is it really a good thing that Darryl doesn't imitate Bill's bass lines? They are an integral part of those songs, as iconic as Keith's riffs. Since Darryl doesn't add anything of note to the Stones sound, and is really just a hired gun, shouldn't he be trying to replicate the sound as closely as possible? That's how it is in most Heritage Bands like the Stones. It's vexing to listen to because I keep thinking, 'The note goes here! Just anchor a freakin' note!' It's almost a repudiation of what Bill created for those songs.

It has become increasingly clear that this is an unwinnable battle. The Stones were always a chemistry band. The whole was always must greater than the individual parts. That's why I think even Mick, or Keith, have not been that successful as solo artists. It's also why successful Stones covers are rare, as it was the very sound created by five individuals that people crave. That chain continued through Brian, Mick Taylor & on through Ronnie Wood. It was finally broken with the little thought that went into Bill's replacement musically. Maybe they never 'got' Bill either.

I know you don't like Darryl, and I definitely share your love for Bill, but this is a bit of a stretch grinning smiley

No one outside a bass nerd-bubble would agree with that. On the contrary, people who aren't really Stones fans never notice Bill (we do, of course).

Bill Wyman was a fantastic, and in many ways unorthodox, bass player, but he never stood out on records (with some exceptions, of course). It was in concert his main contributions to the sound was shining.

Hence, his bass playing on the Stones classics was NOT as iconic as Keith's riffs or Mick's voice – how brutal it may sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-25 10:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 25, 2017 16:21

DandelionPowderman
Hence, his bass playing on the Stones classics was NOT as iconic as Keith's riffs or Mick's voice – how brutal it may sound.

Not brutal at all, if you also count the many studio songs that he doesn't even play bass on.
I agree that Bill's contributions on stage were unique. I don't know any other bass
players that play the role of being "plaster" with frivolity like Bill did.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: October 25, 2017 16:31

What I meant with Bill «never stood out on records» was that it wasn't Bill's fault, but merely how the producers wanted the Stones to sound on record (Mick and Keith).

Ironically, the two really bass-heavy songs they recorded and released (Fingerprint File and Emotional Rescue) featured bass from Taylor and Ronnie.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 25, 2017 16:41

DandelionPowderman

Ironically, the two really bass-heavy songs they recorded and released (Fingerprint File and Emotional Rescue) featured bass from Taylor and Ronnie.

Live with me and Sympathy for the Devil are quite bass-heavy too. Both Keith's work.

But then there is Miss You with a glorious bass line by Bill.
Highland Fling on Jamming with Edwards has some interesting bass playing by Bill too.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 25, 2017 16:43

i would submit 'Miss You' as a fine example of Bill laying down prominent bass lines that are just fun to listen to..

possibly 'Worried About You' is another with prominent Wyman lines.. love it..

Date: October 25, 2017 16:49

duke richardson
i would submit 'Miss You' as a fine example of Bill laying down prominent bass lines that are just fun to listen to..

possibly 'Worried About You' is another with prominent Wyman lines.. love it..

Indeed, but even on Miss You the bass is pretty low in the mix smiling smiley

There are many great Bill-lines. SMU and She's So Cold are great. Send It To Me is another. Down In The Hole, too.

He's connecting everyone in those tunes. Great stuff, but it's not standing out sound-wise, it's just great, great playing, imo. One has to keep an extra ear open to get the details winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-25 16:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 25, 2017 17:35

this thread has very astute observations about Bill's playing and sound...

to be a thread about Darryl possibly becoming an author

:cool smiley

Date: October 25, 2017 17:45

duke richardson
this thread has very astute observations about Bill's playing and sound...

to be a thread about Darryl possibly becoming an author

:cool smiley

He might draw some lyrical inspiration from Bill's playing for his book grinning smiley

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: October 26, 2017 00:14

MisterDDDD
rebelhipi

Agree.
[www.bbc.com]
I think especially in the studio the Stones can cut a few tunes without keyboards if needed. Without bass. I dont think so.

The Stones needs a bass player at all times. Keyboards are very important but not as important as the bass.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 26, 2017 00:40

video: [vimeo.com]

Keith, Ronnie and Charlie talk about Darryl in this video... They obviously think highly of him...

Date: October 26, 2017 01:20

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Is it really a good thing that Darryl doesn't imitate Bill's bass lines? They are an integral part of those songs, as iconic as Keith's riffs. Since Darryl doesn't add anything of note to the Stones sound, and is really just a hired gun, shouldn't he be trying to replicate the sound as closely as possible? That's how it is in most Heritage Bands like the Stones. It's vexing to listen to because I keep thinking, 'The note goes here! Just anchor a freakin' note!' It's almost a repudiation of what Bill created for those songs.

It has become increasingly clear that this is an unwinnable battle. The Stones were always a chemistry band. The whole was always must greater than the individual parts. That's why I think even Mick, or Keith, have not been that successful as solo artists. It's also why successful Stones covers are rare, as it was the very sound created by five individuals that people crave. That chain continued through Brian, Mick Taylor & on through Ronnie Wood. It was finally broken with the little thought that went into Bill's replacement musically. Maybe they never 'got' Bill either.

I know you don't like Darryl, and I definitely share your love for Bill, but this is a bit of a stretch grinning smiley

No one outside a bass nerd-bubble would agree with that. On the contrary, people who aren't really Stones fans never notice Bill (we do, of course).

Bill Wyman was a fantastic, and in many ways unorthodox, bass player, but he never stood out on records (with some exceptions, of course). It was in concert his main contributions to the sound was shining.

This may surprise you, but I disagree. Bill's counterpoint bass against Keith's fuzz box riff is just as important on the studio version of Satisfaction. Under My Thumb has a surprisingly slinky bass line, and is the most important guitar on the cut. Sticky Fingers has Bill on every track, where his part is a particular standout on Bitch. Rocks Off really gets Exile moving behind Bill's pushing bass. What is Start Me Up without Bill? It's half a song is what it is. Or She's So Cold, with that rubbery bass? And Bill's bass is the most important instrument on the last great Stones single, Harlem Shuffle. I think Bill's personality played against him in the visual aspect of the group. If he'd flailed his arms around and danced around the stage with Mick, the general audience would have viewed him differently.

Date: October 26, 2017 01:31

...of course they do. They hired him. And what else could they say? My point is not that Darryl is a bad bassplayer. On the contrary, he's too good for them. He is overqualified. He should be playing funk, soul, jazz or fusion. Genres which I think is more his cup of tea. I honestly think that he hasn't one rock and roll record in his record collection. If he has one. And I don't think he evolves as a musician playing with them.

Date: October 26, 2017 02:48

Stoneage
...of course they do. They hired him. And what else could they say? My point is not that Darryl is a bad bassplayer. On the contrary, he's too good for them. He is overqualified. He should be playing funk, soul, jazz or fusion. Genres which I think is more his cup of tea. I honestly think that he hasn't one rock and roll record in his record collection. If he has one. And I don't think he evolves as a musician playing with them.

Interesting. So....Bill....who Keith recently said was a true artist and a sensitive musician....is less talented than Darryl? Darryl couldn't use his huge genius to enhance the Stones sound? I remember this same kind of talk around Mick Taylor in the 70s, that he was too good a musician to be in the Stones. That he was wasting his talent. And yet, what great memorable solo work, or with another group, has Mick Taylor produced?

Please, somebody, point me to Darryl's great work, so I can hear for myself. I want to hear how wonderful a jazz player he is, and how he couldn't possibly deign to play rock and roll properly.

Date: October 26, 2017 03:02

Okey, since I happen to be awake at this late hour. What I mean is that he (Darryl) isn't a rock and roll bassplayer. Bill is. Simple as that. To compare different styles of music,
whether one is simpler than another, is to complicated for me to do at this late hour. I only remember Stu calling them "Three chord geniuses"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-26 03:05 by Stoneage.

Date: October 26, 2017 03:07

24FPS
Stoneage

Interesting. So....Bill....who Keith recently said was a true artist and a sensitive musician....is less talented than Darryl? Darryl couldn't use his huge genius to enhance the Stones sound? I remember this same kind of talk around Mick Taylor in the 70s, that he was too good a musician to be in the Stones. That he was wasting his talent. And yet, what great memorable solo work, or with another group, has Mick Taylor produced?

Please, somebody, point me to Darryl's great work, so I can hear for myself. I want to hear how wonderful a jazz player he is, and how he couldn't possibly deign to play rock and roll properly.

Start with 'You're under Arrest' by Miles Davis

Then maybe 'Bring on the Night Live' by Sting

Date: October 26, 2017 06:27

duke richardson
24FPS
Stoneage

Start with 'You're under Arrest' by Miles Davis

Then maybe 'Bring on the Night Live' by Sting

Thank you, Duke, seriously. I listened to both. It's kind of hard to judge from the Miles track. He's good, not like Stanley Clarke good, but he's good. On the Sting track he sounds like he does with the Stones, adequate. I think the key is personality. Somehow the magic of Bill was though he was a cigar store Indian on stage, on record, or listening to a live recording, there was personality. Bill expressed himself through his bass lines. That is very, very rare. McCartney could do that. Darryl's approach, when not playing jazz, sounds very matter of fact, like it could be a bass guitar line, it could be a refrigerator, they're both utilities.

Hell, I guess it's just something you either have or you don't. Much like the brilliant line of piano players the Stones had in their heyday. That friggin' Wyman had something, a talent hard to define. My ears are both cursed and blessed to hear the difference.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 26, 2017 08:10

They used a bunch of different bass players on Babylon. For most listeners, bass isn't usually something you consciously notice at all - you just feel the groove that's laid down. So, I'm not sure the notes or lines are as important as tempo, groove and feel.

Date: October 26, 2017 09:51

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS

This may surprise you, but I disagree. Bill's counterpoint bass against Keith's fuzz box riff is just as important on the studio version of Satisfaction. Under My Thumb has a surprisingly slinky bass line, and is the most important guitar on the cut. Sticky Fingers has Bill on every track, where his part is a particular standout on Bitch. Rocks Off really gets Exile moving behind Bill's pushing bass. What is Start Me Up without Bill? It's half a song is what it is. Or She's So Cold, with that rubbery bass? And Bill's bass is the most important instrument on the last great Stones single, Harlem Shuffle. I think Bill's personality played against him in the visual aspect of the group. If he'd flailed his arms around and danced around the stage with Mick, the general audience would have viewed him differently.

grinning smiley

Well, mate, when push comes to shove I don't think we disagree that much, really. I'm not a bassist (like you probably are). I agree with most of your examples of Bill's playing (I mentioned SMU and SSC myself).

The only example where I'm not so fond of Bill's bass is actually UMT. Him not playing the melody line there has always annoyed me. Instead, he's playing the riff in reverse, or something: a counter-melody.

«As iconic as Keith's riffs» may be a stretch, but I'm gonna go a long with that, for the good intention of putting Bill's excellent playing in the spotlight.

Mind you, stripping that fuzz guitar off Satisfaction would cause harm, serious harm to the track grinning smiley

Date: October 26, 2017 13:05

To use the "Charlie chose him" line as justification for DJ in the Stones, is no good IMO. Charlie was wrong (again IMO). His love and passion for anything Jazz blinded him. As much as I hate to say it, because in music and all the aRTS I think it is beneficial to shake things up, but in this case I feel they should have gone with someone right out of their own musical backyard.
Joey Spampinato, Dean Fertita of newer territory, John Hopkins from Country stylings. I do believe that a Reggae Bass-man would have been wonderful. Robbie Shakespeare as Stones bassist would be incredible.
It's too bad time has caught up with some of the greatest ones: Carl Radle of course, and my personal all-time favorite: Greg Ridley.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: October 26, 2017 13:15

Bill was a good player. Daryl is a good player, too. But he plays different.
Both fit with the rest of the band. So give both respect.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home