Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New McCartney CD
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 15, 2005 22:26

As one who's going to see both Macca (Tuesday, Sept. 20) and The Stones (Oct.15) in Atlanta, and who's read that both of them had put out their best albums in years, I wanted to see what others thought.

My opinion - ABB is the best Stones in at least 24 years, maybe more.
Paul's CD - Some good stuff, but nowhere near his best Beatle or post-Beatle work.

Re: New McCartney CD
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 15, 2005 22:29

Yeah, like I'm going to see that weirdo. Ha! It's a Stones-forum here! Don't you remember the WE ALL HATE THE BEATLES stuff. By the way, I really think he is a prick. Sometimes I like Lennon's solo work, but that's it. The Beatles are the Disney of pop music to me. And don't get me started about Disney.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 15, 2005 22:34

Very good album, upon initial listenings. Different than I expected - not nearly as rock-heavy as the last one, which is fine with me.

The Beatle bashing is a big ol' bore....

Date: September 15, 2005 22:36

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very good album, upon initial listenings.
> Different than I expected - not nearly as
> rock-heavy as the last one, which is fine with me.
>
>
> The Beatle bashing is a big ol' bore....

Not for me... I really can't stand the guy. He looks like an @#$%&, and I don't doubt that he is.

Date: September 15, 2005 22:37

then you really don't have an open mind on the subject matter of the thread, do you?

Date: September 15, 2005 22:39

T&A Wrote:
> then you really don't have an open mind on the
> subject matter of the thread, do you?

No, not really. But I surely won't buy the CD.

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 15, 2005 22:42

Reptile Wrote:
> Yeah, like I'm going to see that weirdo. Ha! It's
> a Stones-forum here! Don't you remember the WE ALL
> HATE THE BEATLES stuff. By the way, I really think
> he is a prick. Sometimes I like Lennon's solo
> work, but that's it. The Beatles are the Disney of
> pop music to me. And don't get me started about
> Disney.

Sorry, Reptile, but the Stones have only been the world's greatest rock 'n roll band since the Beatles ended. They will always have to live with their place in rock history as # 2. And they know it.

Date: September 15, 2005 22:45

RockR Wrote:
> Reptile Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah, like I'm going to see that weirdo. Ha!
> It's
> > a Stones-forum here! Don't you remember the
> WE ALL
> > HATE THE BEATLES stuff. By the way, I really
> think
> > he is a prick. Sometimes I like Lennon's
> solo
> > work, but that's it. The Beatles are the
> Disney of
> > pop music to me. And don't get me started
> about
> > Disney.
>
> Sorry, Reptile, but the Stones have only been the
> world's greatest rock 'n roll band since the
> Beatles ended. They will always have to live with
> their place in rock history as # 2. And they know
> it.
>
>

That's just a plain DUMB remark and I'm just going to pretend like I didn't hear anything.

Date: September 15, 2005 22:46

Might be DUMB to you and that's fine....but most rock fans would agree.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 15, 2005 22:48

Hi Elmo, at first listen I was literally ready to throw the new McCartney CD out of the window. After the 2nd time through it, something just clicked. I really like the new album. I will be seeing him on Saturday in Tampa. Too bad George isn't around any longer. The Stones and a Beatle......doesn't get much better than that, for me.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: September 15, 2005 22:48

I'm a huge Beatles fan and got the new McCartney on Tuesday. I played it twice and it just hasn't hit me yet. I've heard all the raves, so I'm hoping with repeated listenings that I'll get more into it. It certainly didn't hit me immediately like the Stones album did.

Date: September 15, 2005 22:51

No doubt about it......it takes a while. I'm betting you'll love it.

Date: September 15, 2005 22:53

I also think it's once of those you slowly warm up to - they are often better albums that those that hit you right away, anyway....speaking from 35 years of experience...

Date: September 15, 2005 22:55

On first listenings, it does not seem to have the diversity that Flaming Pie or Tug Of War had.

I'll be seeing the Stones and McCartney days apart, like I also did in 2002. I'll see the Stones on November 4,6 and 8 and McCartney on November 11 and 12 as well as 29 and 30.

I'm looking forward to see his opening night setlist from Miami tomorrow night. I saw opening night in Oakland in 2002.

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: September 15, 2005 22:56

I bought it. I didn't like it after the first listen--not much on there grabbed me. His voice seemed tired, and I didn't hear too many good melodies. If it wasn't Paul McCartney, I probably wouldn't give it another chance. But, I keep hearing so many rave reviews about it, so I'll probably give it a few more listens. I'm a huge fan of his, but I don't like this one so much.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 15, 2005 23:02

There was a review of Macca's new cd in an austrian newspaper and they had a quote from a song, "Would you care to sit with me, for a cup of English Tea"...They said they prefer the Stones, the "unworthy old lechers" anytime against boring "Schlager" clerk Macca, because noone wants to hear his boring, daft-jovial hymns to the petty bourgeois lifestyle! I second that!!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-15 23:03 by Lorenz.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 15, 2005 23:05

Repeated listenings will pay dividends!

A fine piece of work from Sir Paul! Sort of falls between Rubber Soul and Pet Sounds. It started to click for me about the 4th time through.

Lovely!

Ross

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: September 15, 2005 23:14

This album really grows on one. If you´re ready for it, it takes you on a journey and puts you in a very special kind of mood. It´s not that the songs are the best he has ever written, it´s the overall mood of the album that makes it so special. The only albums I can remember that really had THAT impact on me, were Exile by the Stones and maybe Time Out Of Mind by Bob Dylan.

Come on guys, stop your silly Macca bashing. He´s great. I´m the biggest Stones fan, but I also see that Macca has done very well the last years (great tours with a fantastic rocking band and now THIS ALBUM).

Just imagine Jagger recording an album completely on his own (playing all instruments and writing other lyrics than his usual I-left-you, You-left-me, Youre-cold, I-am-hot stuff). I can´t imagine than I must admit. Somehow we all love him for not growing up. But there can be different stuff - and this is great, too...

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: September 15, 2005 23:22

"Might be DUMB to you and that's fine....but most rock fans would agree."

Macca is pure pop....

Stones is Rock / Blues...

That's the difference.... if you like pop go for Macca.... fine with me....

Posted by: intv7 ()
Date: September 15, 2005 23:37

Hated it the first time I listened.

Started warming up to it on the second.

By the end of the third listen, I was in love with the album.

Very unusual to have Macca material that isn't instantly accessible or likeable. But it is a rewarding listen. It's no FLAMING PIE, but it's great for what it is -- a mature record with lots of depth.

Date: September 15, 2005 23:42

>But it is a rewarding listen. a mature record with lots of depth.

That´s a fantastic remark, it really nails it 100% !

Posted by: intv7 ()
Date: September 15, 2005 23:46

stonethobo Wrote:
> That´s a fantastic remark, it really nails it 100%
> !

Why, thanks!

I was startled at first at the lack of uptempo songs...."A Fine Line" is really the most rockin' thing on it. The rest of it borders on being somber at times, which at first I thought was kind of a drag, but once I started to realize the beauty of the tracks, it didn't seem to matter anymore. I'd rather a solid, low-key affair than an album full of half-baked rockers, which he's done more than once in his career....

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: September 15, 2005 23:55

During Licks in Australia I saw Dylan and the Stones within 48 hours of each other. This time, Stones Oct 17 ( and several others) and Paul on Oct 22.
If I ever saw all three in a week, I would probably fel obligated to drop Acid!

And I guees that nostalgia is what is driving me to see Paul. To be honest, I have bought some of his stuff in the last 3 decades, and left a lot alone. Since Tug of War, can only really remember "My Brave Face," and that for how much I dislike it. I have bought all his live releases, but for the Beatles stuff and the fact that the musicianship on all seems impeccable. I will wait a bit one this new release until I get a better feeling for it from other sources.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 16, 2005 00:04

With every time I play it, there's a new song I like. It started with 2 songs... now it are 7 or 8. This is a great disc.
Much better than Driving Rain.
Flaming Pie was a return to form (after the too slick and rather boring Off The Ground), so that one surprised me (especially because it was so sober). This one hasn't, because since Flaming Pie he began recording great music again.

Date: September 16, 2005 00:14

I really tried to like Driving Rain, but to no avail. This new disc is great!!! Solo McCartney I liked - Tug of War, Back to the Egg, Flaming Pie, McCartney, Ram, Band on the Run, Venus & Mars.

Date: September 16, 2005 00:17

country honk Wrote:
> ">
> That's the difference.... if you like pop go for
> Macca.... fine with me....
>
>

Yeah - always loved that lilting melody on Helter Skelter...cute little pop ditty it was....

Posted by: complicated ()
Date: September 16, 2005 00:23

I have given McCartney's CD two listens so far and it is a little mellower than I hoped but a couple of them grabbed me right of the bat, especially "Too Much Rain." I will give it another listen to see if hits homes like it has with others.

Am I the only one on this message board that doesn't think Bigger Bang is very good? I pulled out Voodoo Lounge the other day to compare and VL is a masterpiece in comparison. Some of those lyrics on ABB make me cringe..."you're a helluvan catch.'' I honestly don't see myself wanting to hear any of these songs five years down the road. I really wanted this album to be as good as people were saying it was but...It just doesn't hit home with me. I have given about 5 or 6 trys now. SOL sounds just like a Cheap Trick song called "Ghosttown." Nothing with the memorable riffs I was looking for. Having said, I have seen them live twice on this tour and they are playing better then ever.

As far as the Macca/Beatle bashing goes, don't you realize that these two bands were friends and respected each others work?

In my opinion (for what it matters) the Beatles were the best studio band in R & R history and the Rolling stones were and still are the best live act in R & R history. I give credit where credit is due. I love them both personally.

Date: September 16, 2005 00:42

complicated spoke words of wisdom:

>As far as the Macca/Beatle bashing goes, don't you realize that these two bands >were friends and respected each others work?

>In my opinion (for what it matters) the Beatles were the best studio band in R >& R history and the Rolling stones were and still are the best live act in R & >R history. I give credit where credit is due. I love them both personally.

Totally agree. Let´s thank god at least Macca is still around (okay, Ringo is there, too) and the Stones still kick ass live. In a few years this will be over. So let´s enjoy it!

Date: September 16, 2005 02:02

Don't forget that the Stones owe their gratitude to George Harrison for recommending them to the Decca Records rep who turned down the Beatles. Having a personal recommendation from a Beatle in those days certainly was enough to make labels pay attention and luckily the Stones had the talent to back it up.

Date: September 16, 2005 02:10

Not to mention that the Beatles giving away "I Wanna Be Your Man" to the Stones as a gesture of friendship gave them their first hit single on the English (not American) charts, and got them moving.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home