Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New McCartney CD
Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 16, 2005 02:14

complicated Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my opinion (for what it matters) the Beatles
> were the best studio band in R & R history and
> the Rolling stones were and still are the best
> live act in R & R history. I give credit
> where credit is due. I love them both personally.

That's just about right. I would say the Beatles were the best studio band in R & R history and the best live act is a three-way tie between the Stones, the Who and Springsteen & the E Street Band.

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: September 16, 2005 04:59

I love the latter day (post-Revolver - except Sgt Peppers) Beatles. The White Album, Let it Be, Revolver, stunning records all, and Abbey Road.

Paul McCartney, post Beatles has not recorded one great song, not one.

Nothing stands up to Let it Be, Long Winding Road, nothing.

I can listen to - wait for it - Mull of Kintyre, because it was a break from his tradition, but the rest?

Silly Love Songs
London Town
Band on the Run
Give Ireland back to the Irish

????

GAWD....................aweful

Rod

Posted by: intv7 ()
Date: September 16, 2005 05:42

RoddyD Wrote:

> Paul McCartney, post Beatles has not recorded one
> great song, not one.

I've read a lot of ridiculous & nonsensical statements here, but this one takes the cake. You follow that up with a list of FOUR songs you don't like??? Two of which are actual tripe...."Band on the Run" is excellent, and "Silly Love Songs" is a guilty pleasure.

The other two are horrible songs, but that's like saying "THE STONES HAVEN'T RECORDED A GOOD SONG SINCE 1972", and the following that up with:

Brand New Car
Where The Boys Go
Back to Zero
Sex Drive

Something tells me you haven't heard much McCartney.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: September 16, 2005 05:55

Anybody hear "people get ready" Rod and JBeck (curtis mayfield original) on this album?

Alright, it's (the macca album) getting a little better after the 4th or 5th listen.

Date: September 16, 2005 06:01

I actually buy every album he puts out, in the forlorn hope there's something worth keeping on it, but alas, nada, zilch, nothing.

I still have RAM, Band on the Run, Flowers in the Dirt, Venus and Mars, Off the Ground, Driving Rain and Flaming Pie.

I listen to them when I want a laugh. Seriously, they are not much chop for one half of the most dynamic and ground breaking songwriting teams (if not THE best) of all time.

If you want me to list

Magic
Tiny Bubble
Heather
She's giving up talking
I do
Rinse the Raindrops
Really Love You
Beautiful Night
I am your Singer
Great Day
Heaven on a Sunday
Calico Skies
Venus and Mars (truly horrid song)
We Got Married
Taht Day is Done
Ebony and Ivory
Motor of Love
My Love (oooh wonderful....)
Mumbo
Bip Bop
How Many People
My Brave Face
You Want her Too
Getting Closer (another ripper)
Old Siam, Sir
Love Awake
Letting Go (there we go again...a great piece of songwriting - not)
Medicine Jar
Magneto and Titanium Man (Oh yeah!)

et al

I will....seriously though, are ANY of these any way near as good as his output with the Beatles? He NEEDED Lennon to say..."sorry, Paul, you can do better".

Rgds
Rod

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: September 16, 2005 07:07

"country honk Wrote:
> ">
> That's the difference.... if you like pop go for
> Macca.... fine with me....
>
>

Yeah - always loved that lilting melody on Helter Skelter...cute little pop ditty it was.... "

You always pop up with Helten Skelter (the popywoppy popvoice is still there.....) Might be they wrote a couple of rock tunes.... but majority was "pop ballads"..... that's what I mean......

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 16, 2005 08:14

RoddyD Wrote:
> Paul McCartney, post Beatles has not recorded one
> great song, not one.
>
> Nothing stands up to Let it Be, Long Winding Road,
> nothing.
>
>

Not true. "Maybe I'm Amazed" is a great song. "Jet" is a great song. "Here Today" is a touching tribute to Lennon. "Take It Away" is terrific. There's many more.

Is the majority of his solo work disappointing ? Yes indeed, it is. But individual gems do abound. You just have to look for them.

Date: September 16, 2005 09:34

"But individual gems do abound"

Fool's Gold, my friend.

Rod

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: September 16, 2005 10:24

On EVERY album that Macca has made there is at least 2-3 songs that stands up with the Beatlesstuff..
shall i list them? Ok..

Maybe I´m amazed
Every night
Backseat of my car
Too many people
Dear friend
My love
Live and let die
Bluebird
Jet
venus and mars
Call me back again
Warm and beautiful
daytime nightime suffering
Getting closer
Coming up (the liveversion)
Waterfalls
One of these days
Tug of war
Here today
wanderlust
Pipes of peace
No more lonely nights
My brave face
put it there
This one
Golden earth girl
Flaming pie
calico skies
Beautiful night
Your loving flame
I do

And several from his new album!

Date: September 16, 2005 10:44

ah yeah, I forgot Coming Up !!! That's as good as Back in the USSR ....

Coming up...mmm
coming up....

yep, good one, that....

Rod

Posted by: smith ()
Date: September 16, 2005 10:45

kinda funny - in the end it's again Beatles vs Stones for some people :-)

The Beatles had more No.1 hits and sold more records - but WTF cares - others did too and would you therefore rate ABBA a "bigger Rock-Band" than the Stones?

I think you can't compare their music at all - no matter if Beatles or McCartney on one side and Stones or Jagger or Richards on the other.

If I listen to and compare "I Wanna Be Your Man" all I can say is it's two different worlds for me. The Beatles never came close to be a rock band, the Stones did. Somebody else who would love to compare the versions of the song the Stones gave to the Beatles in exchange for Be Your Man? Maybe someday...

In one of our daily papers the Stones got 4 1/2 start out of 5 for ABB, Macca got 1 of 5 - but anyway Mc might have better sales. We all know that it's a funny world we're livin' in - do we?

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: September 16, 2005 10:56

McCartney seems with the new album to get some of his best reviews ever in the US:

Billboard Magazine
"Thirty-five years into his solo career, McCartney continues to surprise. Top notch, moody, briming with melodic delights. On "Chaos," he proves that he still has a few tricks up his sleeve."

Rolling Stone Magazine
"****. The tingling sense of a new beginning is palpable. His voice is front and center, as wistful and full of yearning as ever, effortlessly lending these songs a rich sense of emotional conviction. Chaos suduces the listener into a playful world of musical ideas that shimmer and disappear.

Newhouse NewsWire
"****. 'Chaos' ranks among his best albums in years. An intimate, homemade feel from start to finish.

Knight Ridder Newswire As It Ran In The Houston Chronicle
"A superb 13-song collection. Among his finest solo albums. McCartney has crafted a modern counterpart to his one-man 1970 debut. Gorgeous melodies and lyrcs of love and hopefulness. The same sort of eloquent but muted grandeur managed on parts of Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album and Abbey Road."

FOX News
"A tour de force. 'Chaos' is an original and important piece of work that will last."

Time Magazine
"His glory days aren't all behind him. 'Chaos' is adventurous and melodic."

Bass Player Magazine
"One of his strongest albums in years. 'Chaos' is packed with lush mid-tempo meditations and dark colored, reflective ballads."

The Boston Herald
"A treat. McCartney brings mesmerizingly well-crafted order to this "Chaos." Strong melodies, close harmonies and that unmistakeable feathery falsetto.

Los Angeles Times
"Musically understated and handcrafted, this is the intimate McCartney in the vein of his 1970 solo debut."

New York Times
The Critics Choice: "McCartney gets back. Unabashed echoes of the Beatles all over the album. Intimate and unconventional."

NY Daily News
"'Chaos' is the most interesting, ambitious and revealing solo work from the Beatle in - well, maybe ever."

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 16, 2005 11:41

The new Macca CD is great. It just takes more listenings than ABB. It's a hard one getting used to for sure, but great stuff pops up in it every time.

And Macca/Beatles is Disney??? Come on. The Beatles were FAR ahead of the Stones in any aspect, except rock 'n roll, in the sixties. They pushed the whole music business. Great band in my mind. Would you consider Helter Skelter, Happiness Is A Warm Gun or Strawberry Fields Forever as Disney??? Then you're crazy. When the Beatles were at their they made songs that was in the same league as Jumping Jack Flash. No doubt about that. Only Disney song by the Beatles I can think of is Goodnight from The White Album. And "Chaos" is better than much of the material from his solo career. But then again I'd also agree that Macca's solo stuff ain't the best music around. But there's some top-notch stuff in there too, like Band On The Run.

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-16 11:43 by JumpingKentFlash.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 16, 2005 15:12

This post wasn't intended to be a forum for idiots like Reptile. It doesn't have to be Beatles vs. Stones. Both are great, just very different.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: September 16, 2005 15:42

Alright I'll say again (see previous post this thread), does anybody hear "People get ready" on this album? Last track I believe (Anyway?)

Kent- you're right, this one takes a few listens (some patience), but I am starting to really like. My problem before was I couldn't get ABB out of my head after virtually listening to it for 7-9 days straight! smiling smiley

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 16, 2005 16:14

It's heavy!, if your expecting guitars this isn't it. It reminds me of an CD where you can read a book and listen to it. Its better than the last studio CD.

Posted by: intv7 ()
Date: September 16, 2005 16:39

crossfire Wrote:
> Alright I'll say again (see previous post this
> thread), does anybody hear "People get ready" on
> this album? Last track I believe (Anyway?)

I hear what you're saying....didn't really jump out as such but now that you mention it there is a similarity. Not really a "My Sweet Lord"/"He's So Fine" thing, though. But you can hear how the tunes have things in common.

My take on people who are still "Beatles vs. Stones" obsessed -- it seems to be almost exclusivesly Stones fans who obsess over this these days, I think because there is a bit of jealousy. There's an inferiority complex at work here.

The Beatles are widely hailed as the single most important band in pop/rock history. Lennon and McCartney (and even Harrison) are frequently cited as the best songwriters of our time. The number of "standards" that have emerged from the Beatles' catalog is staggering, and their music is lovede and appreciated by all.

On the other hand, the Stones have kept going for 35 years AFTER the Beatles split up. Stones fans have had to endure a career of peaks and valleys -- hits and misfires, critical lambasting, cruel & never-ending jokes about the band's age and questions about whether or not they've overstayed their welcome. The Beatles have never had to suffer that. They went out on top.

Face it, Jagger/Richards are NOT the songwriters that Lennon/McCartney were. For the most part, the Stones WERE second best during the 60's. To be second best to the Beatles is not too shabby, but there is resentment from Stones fans because of it -- resentment that still lingers 40 years on, because they think THEIR band is better. Whatever! We're all entitled to our opinions, but I think some of them are solely sour grapes.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 16, 2005 16:56

I don't look at it as Rolling Stones VS. Beatles..the two are way too different and music is not a competition. However, I do have some objective observations and subjective opinions about the two. In no particular order:

To me, the Beatles play from the waist up, the Stones from the waist down.

While both have, at a minimum, experimented with different styles, the Stones have a much more international or world ability than the Beatles or their members solo efforts. Along this line, I believe the Stones would be able to jam with anyone that played with the Beatles but I cannot even imagine the Beatles playing with Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, or Peter Tosh.

I can't imagine any of Stones putting up with Yoko.

I like the early 70s singles from Wings Ringo. A lot. Jet, Helen Wheels, Photograph, You're Sixteen...love 'em.

Lastly for now, my big issue with John Lennon...while I like some of his solo work, especially How Do You Sleep and Crippled Inside, there is a line in Imagine that always bugged me and, to me at least, is very telling..."Imagine no possessions, I wonder if YOU can." Not, "I wonder if WE can." This coming from someone who lived in the Dakota on Central Park. I don't like to use "cuss words" but that line always made me want to tell John Lennon to &$%$ off!

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 16, 2005 17:15

Thanks Jimmie for posting those review quotes. I agree whole heartedly that Macca's new one is special. It is at or near the top of Beatle solo albums (imo).

Ross

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: September 16, 2005 17:27

I am going to both Atlanta shows as well. Look for the couple up front with the Stones T-shirts. May go with the VL T this time. Close enough that Paul will see it all night, LOL!

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: September 16, 2005 17:39

lol, Steven. Paul might give you a smile, he is a Stones fan himself. Write us a review of the shows!

Posted by: captkirk ()
Date: September 16, 2005 18:14

I agree the McCartney is a pretty special album. Caught me completly off guard. This is his 4th in a row that have been really strong(Flaming Pie, Run Devil Run and Driving Rain being the other 3). This one could be the best of the lot.

Someone mentioned we still have Ringo around. I don't know if anybody has checked out his new album, but it might be the best solo album he has ever recorded.

As far as the Beatles vs. Stones thing, I look at it like this: The Beatles made better sounding albums, The Who were probably a better live act and Led Zeppelin sold more albums, but the Stones have maintained a consistency of fine albums and performances over the years that will never be matched. I love all four of the groups mentioned and think that there will never be 4 bands of that caliber again.

Bill

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 16, 2005 18:22

I know this has nothing to do with nothing but Mccartney has written some wonderful songs:
No More Lonely Nights
My Love
Monkberry Moon Delight
When Paul is good he is great, but when he is bad he is the worst.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 16, 2005 22:22

Anyway does start off with the main riff from People Get Ready. You'd think Paul would know this and give (I think) Curtis Mayfield a songwriting credit a la the Stones giving k. d. lang a credit because ASMB sounded similar to Constant Craving.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 22, 2005 09:55

McCartney’s new record opened at No. 6 in America with 92,000 copies. His last record, Driving Rain, opened at No. 26 with 66,000 copies.

Bjornulf

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: September 22, 2005 11:36

captkirk Wrote:

> As far as the Beatles vs. Stones thing, I look at
> it like this: The Beatles made better sounding
> albums, The Who were probably a better live act
> and Led Zeppelin sold more albums, but the Stones
> have maintained a consistency of fine albums and
> performances over the years that will never be
> matched. I love all four of the groups mentioned
> and think that there will never be 4 bands of that
> caliber again.

Can't agree with you. Both The Who and Led Zeppelin
are NOT in the same caliber with Stones. May be they played
live with more passion but they lack the most important
part- music. They are great groups of 1 CD with "greatest hits"
and nothing more, while almost every stones disk is worth
purchasing.
I love Beatles and never compare them to Stones, their music
is too different to be compared.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1278
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home