Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT : STEELY DAN - First Show Since Walter Becker's Death
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 17, 2017 17:49

I saw Donald Fagen solo concert this past summer with his "Nightflyers". His band was great... guitarist, Connor Kennedy in particular. I wonder if there is any chance that he'd be invited to join Steely Dan?

Listening to the videos from the show on YouTube, I think there is a "hole" in the guitar arrangements. Jon Herrington is a great guitarist, but Becker's guitar parts -- while not flashy, were vital to the overall sound. A lot like the weaving that is often discussed here.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2017 18:53

DandelionPowderman

They did stop.

However, they (David?) couldn't resist the temptation of £££££££ when they were offered huuuuge stadium-gigs several years later.

Sort of maybe, but they never really officially stopped and it's all a bit of a soap opera. It was only Roger Waters who publicly stated "Pink Floyd will not reunite" after each of the members were doing solo albums mid '80's, but the others in the band didn't feel the same way about that. They fought over the use of the name Pink Floyd in which David Gilmour et al won vs. Roger Waters in 1985. They (Gilmour/Pink Floyd) then recorded and released a studio album - A Momentary Lapse of Reason which was released within two years of the lawsuit in 1987- coupled with a giant tour. The second album came in '94 followed by another enormous tour. They (Gilmour Floyd) even released a third studio album as recently as 2014 - scraping bits and pieces from the barrel that featured keyboard bits from Rick Wright who died back in 2008.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 17, 2017 19:20

I'm sorry but, as a casual fan of STEELY DAN, I only know of the band as Donald Fagen and Walter Becker. With all due respect to the many line-ups over the years, without Becker, there shouldn't be a touring band promoted as "STEELY DAN" anymore.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 18, 2017 00:30

Kurt
I'm sorry but, as a casual fan of STEELY DAN, I only know of the band as Donald Fagen and Walter Becker. With all due respect to the many line-ups over the years, without Becker, there shouldn't be a touring band promoted as "STEELY DAN" anymore.

Why not? Paul Simon sings Simon and Garfunkle tunes all the time.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 18, 2017 01:10

More Hot Rocks
Kurt

Of course he does...
But he doesn't sell me a ticket to a "Simon and Garfunkle" concert.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 18, 2017 01:58

Kurt

As a fan of Steely Dan since '73, I'm more than okay with it. As myself and others have noted in this thread, it's different than the typical band with multiple longtime members...Fagen's hardly trying to con or fool anyone.

Even though Walter's no longer physically present, I think it's great his music gets to live on in a concert setting...Donald said as much after his friend's passing.

"I intend to keep the music we created together alive as long as I can with the Steely Dan band."

Donald Fagen
September 3 2017

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 18, 2017 02:47

Jah Paul
Kurt

As a fan of Steely Dan since '73, I'm more than okay with it. As myself and others have noted in this thread, it's different than the typical band with multiple longtime members...Fagen's hardly trying to con or fool anyone.

Even though Walter's no longer physically present, I think it's great his music gets to live on in a concert setting...Donald said as much after his friend's passing.

"I intend to keep the music we created together alive as long as I can with the Steely Dan band."

Donald Fagen
September 3 2017

Right, because thats where the money's at.

In the end, its ok that everyone has different opinions. I have always been a fan of "original bands". Thats been a thing with me, not everyone. I consider Alice Cooper the Alice Cooper BAND, not just him. Many others don't care. So when we've gotten to this point with people dying and continuing bands I find it in poor taste, but I get it and its not altogether so different than how its been. I just feel the line is being moved further and unfortunately its been happening slowly enough that people will just start accepting whatever it is. And personally I don't think thats good because then its the new norm and then its not actually the "band" I fell in love with.

I prefer to see Brian Wilson over "The Beach Boys" and I like that he doesn't advertise himself as such. Thats just me. I really don't like that the Eagles are continuing with Glenn Frey, and I'm not really a big Eagles fan at all but I just don't think thats right, especially with death. People will start accepting that will make the future very bleak IMO. I don't see why people don't feel the same and wouldn't rather they tour under a different name or as Henley, Walsh, Schmidt, but hey thats just what it is. I can't control them and they can't change what I think. Everyone is different. No I'm not happy Guns N Roses just toured with Izzy and either Adler or Sorum, but hey Slash was back, as was Duff and it was ENOUGH Guns N Roses for me to take it seriously. But I never took it legitmately without Slash and wouldn't if he left or got kicked out again because the band is not one person. AC/DC is NOT Angus Young, and I firmly believe he continues that band because the money just isn't there if he tours under his name (assuming "AC/DC" continues). But hey, if people go thats their thing. I see these bands under circumstances I consider "right" and tune them out if they aren't.

Everyone always said they'd never accept KISS if Gene and Paul left even though they claim they will and it will continue and I always laughed. Of course people will accept it, and what we have today is proof of that. It'll become the norm, in a way it already has, and I think its a sad state of affairs. But money's money. They won't get mine but they'll get everyone else's.

Date: October 18, 2017 03:30

Jah Paul
Kurt

Donald Fagen
September 3 2017

thumbs up

I remember as a nine year old hearing Do it Again and Reelin' In the Years constantly on the radio throughout '73. They were part of the soundtrack of that year, especially during the summer when I listened to the radio nearly 24/7. Then the following year with Rikki Don't Lose That Number - same scenario. Throughout the '70's, there was always a new Steely Dan tune being played on the radio, and they almost always became classic staples.

Thankfully Donald Fagen is continuing with the name and the band - there's a very good chance it was one of Walter's last wishes before he passed. After all, Walter was OK with Steely Dan playing some recent shows while he was sick (he wasn't present at the Classic East/West shows in the summer), and if he disapproved and/or had a problem with it, he probably would have let it be known.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 18, 2017 03:48

Hairball
I remember as a nine year old hearing Do it Again and Reelin' In the Years constantly on the radio throughout '73. They were part of the soundtrack of that year, especially during the summer when I listened to the radio nearly 24/7. Then the following year with Rikki Don't Lose That Number - same scenario. Throughout the '70's, there was always a new Steely Dan tune being played on the radio, and they almost always became classic staples.

Thankfully Donald Fagen is continuing with the name and the band - there's a very good chance it was one of Walter's last wishes before he passed. After all, Walter was OK with Steely Dan playing some recent shows while he was sick (he wasn't present at the Classic East/West shows in the summer), and if he disapproved and/or had a problem with it, he probably would have let it be known.

Yup, I turned eight in '73...Do It Again was the third single I ever bought, and Can't Buy A Thrill one of my first albums. I've got the Reelin' and Rikki singles as well.

Although I'm usually a stickler for original lineups, authenticity and all that - it really is different when it's just two guys and a touring band comprised of several "non-members." To me, it wouldn't make any sense if Fagen retired "Steely Dan" and toured the catalog under his own name, ignoring the band name and Walter's contributions. I suppose his other alternative was to just stay home and not play the songs? Continuing on is a nice tribute to Walter...and, as we've found out a lot recently, it won't last forever.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 18, 2017 05:05

RollingFreak
Jah Paul
Kurt

Donald Fagen
September 3 2017

In the end, its ok that everyone has different opinions. I have always been a fan of "original bands". Thats been a thing with me, not everyone. I consider Alice Cooper the Alice Cooper BAND, not just him. Many others don't care. So when we've gotten to this point with people dying and continuing bands I find it in poor taste, but I get it and its not altogether so different than how its been. I just feel the line is being moved further and unfortunately its been happening slowly enough that people will just start accepting whatever it is. And personally I don't think thats good because then its the new norm and then its not actually the "band" I fell in love with.

Okay, you made your point a few times. For you it’s all about the greed of the artist left, or did I read that incorrectly?

Have you considered that maybe Walter Becker’s family will continue to receive financial benefits from Donald Fagen continuing as Steely Dan? It is very well documented that they were exeptionalky close friends, even over the period when they were not working together professionally. Is that such a bad thing?

I love this band, (which is why I ignored your rant about The Eagles, The Beach Boys, and Kiss.)

To all those who have the opinion that Steely Dan shouldn’t continue, well your opinion doesn’t matter to Donald Fagen, but so far the current Steely Dan tour has sold out its first two dates (I’ve no idea about the following dates). Obviously there are fans who want to see this band in concert, still after 20+ years since their return to the Stage.

As far as Steely Dan goes, you don’t like that they continued, so you’ve stated a few times...great that’s your opinion, but stop pushing it on the rest of us please.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 18, 2017 19:31

Great show last night in Buffalo.

Date: October 18, 2017 19:45

rattler2004
RollingFreak
Jah Paul
Kurt

Donald Fagen
September 3 2017

Okay, you made your point a few times. For you it’s all about the greed of the artist left, or did I read that incorrectly?

Have you considered that maybe Walter Becker’s family will continue to receive financial benefits from Donald Fagen continuing as Steely Dan? It is very well documented that they were exeptionalky close friends, even over the period when they were not working together professionally. Is that such a bad thing?

I love this band, (which is why I ignored your rant about The Eagles, The Beach Boys, and Kiss.)

To all those who have the opinion that Steely Dan shouldn’t continue, well your opinion doesn’t matter to Donald Fagen, but so far the current Steely Dan tour has sold out its first two dates (I’ve no idea about the following dates). Obviously there are fans who want to see this band in concert, still after 20+ years since their return to the Stage.

As far as Steely Dan goes, you don’t like that they continued, so you’ve stated a few times...great that’s your opinion, but stop pushing it on the rest of us please.

Lol right, because its "Steely Dan" and not "Donald Fagan".

Don't get bent out of shape. I'm very clearly saying I'm happy for those that like it. I'm not saying they shouldn't. You're explaining why you like it, I'm explaining (and not beating you over the head with it) of why I don't. There's nothing that says you should be allowed to say more because you're a fan of the current situation while I'm not. We both have a voice, thats fine. I'm not being confrontational with mine AT ALL. And I've posted like twice or three times in the whole thread. Thats hardly excessive.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 18, 2017 20:02

Kurt
More Hot Rocks
Kurt

Of course he does...
But he doesn't sell me a ticket to a "Simon and Garfunkle" concert.

You don't get do you?

Date: October 18, 2017 21:03

RollingFreak
rattler2004
RollingFreak
Jah Paul
Kurt

Donald Fagen
September 3 2017

Lol right, because its "Steely Dan" and not "Donald Fagan".

Don't get bent out of shape. I'm very clearly saying I'm happy for those that like it. I'm not saying they shouldn't. You're explaining why you like it, I'm explaining (and not beating you over the head with it) of why I don't. There's nothing that says you should be allowed to say more because you're a fan of the current situation while I'm not. We both have a voice, thats fine. I'm not being confrontational with mine AT ALL. And I've posted like twice or three times in the whole thread. Thats hardly excessive.

You are beating people over the head with it...you’ve posted 5 times in this thread alone and a gain in two others. We get it, move on.

Date: October 18, 2017 22:38

Thats fine. Steely Dan sucks and I'm not a fan anyway so this is a waste of time lol.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 18, 2017 22:45

Well, I'm going to see Donald and Co. Sunday night...I'll report back with what I think.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 18, 2017 23:15

Becker passes away and Fagen continues as Steely Dan because he is singing SD songs....

OK, so I guess if Robert Plant goes on tour and just does LZ songs, he can call himself LZ, as long as Page dies beforehand, or the same with Liam Gallagher doing all Oasis songs.....

...maybe if they bring back Dias....and perhaps Baxter I can sort of see it. Maybe I should ask Denny what he thinks (He lives a couple blocks from me and our sons are friends).

Date: October 19, 2017 00:18

RollingFreak
Thats fine. Steely Dan sucks and I'm not a fan anyway so this is a waste of time lol.

Yeah we know, for the sixth time in this thread, but you’re not beating anyone over the head with it your opinion...right?

Anyway on to other things

From a recent radio interview...just prior to the 3rd date of this tour Fagen revealed that Becker had been battling serious health issues for the last 5 or so years.

Also he stated that the current tour was already booked well before Becker’s passing. Which begs the question, will Steely Dan continue after this tour?

I’m sure further new recordings will most likely be Donald Fagen solo releases unless he decides to delve into their vaults for unreleased Steely Dan tracks, or another live release.

Date: October 19, 2017 01:00

rattler2004
Also he stated that the current tour was already booked well before Becker’s passing. Which begs the question, will Steely Dan continue after this tour?

100% "Steely Dan" will continue after this tour. Thats not meant as a snarky remark or anything, but obviously Fagan, and many others, see this as a legitimate way to continue the band. I don't see why they'd do it for this tour and then stop. Or at least then advertise this tour as a goodbye to "Steely Dan".

These bands continuing are not contract things that can't be gotten out of. Its things the members want to do and feel is right and legitimate, and thats their right. But it means they are here to stay and not one off "our hands were tied" types of deals.

Date: October 19, 2017 01:05

For someone who thinks Steely Dan sucks and that this thread/discussion is a waste of time, you sure seem to have some kind of odd interest in it!
If I didn't know better, I'd have thought you were a troll!!!

Date: October 19, 2017 01:16

Hairball
For someone who thinks Steely Dan sucks and that this thread/discussion is a waste of time, you sure seem to have some kind of odd interest in it!

I'm answering the questions. If you all want me to leave I'll leave, but I'm done convincing you otherwise. He asked a question, I answered it. Meanwhile you added exactly what with that comment? (even though I shouldn't ask cause now you'll shoot back with something and then the whole thread gets derailed again, courtesy of me even though at this point I'm answering honestly and trying to engage the discussion again). I don't have to like the band to have discussion about them. I may learn something and I'm fascinated by the music business.

Date: October 19, 2017 01:24

I don't think he was asking you specifically, especially considering he said "but you’re not beating anyone over the head with it your opinion...right?" followed by "Anyway on to other things".
Can't speak for him, but it seemed he was trying to distance himself from you rather than engage in a discussion with someone who thinks Steely Dan sucks and this is all a waste of time.

That said, feel free to chime in all you want if you really feel the need, but it's starting to sound like a broken record.

Date: October 19, 2017 01:26

Date: October 19, 2017 01:28

Lol...relax!
And you should probably delete that photo!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 19, 2017 03:14

RollingFreak
loser

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 19, 2017 03:28

The Glen Miller Orchestra is in Indiana tonight, Wisconsin the next two. Check out their website.

Wonder how many original members....?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 19, 2017 03:39

Life goes on, you know.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 19, 2017 18:44

RollingFreak
Hairball

I'm answering the questions. If you all want me to leave I'll leave, but I'm done convincing you otherwise. He asked a question, I answered it. Meanwhile you added exactly what with that comment? (even though I shouldn't ask cause now you'll shoot back with something and then the whole thread gets derailed again, courtesy of me even though at this point I'm answering honestly and trying to engage the discussion again). I don't have to like the band to have discussion about them. I may learn something and I'm fascinated by the music business.
Don't leave , I enjoy your posts and comments and a open and healthy discussion is how things should work and everyone should freely express themselves within the context of BV rules .

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 23, 2017 06:51

It was a fantastic show, as expected. Donald Fagen looks all of his 69 years, but he still sings and plays flawlessly, and was in a cheerful, raucous mood throughout the evening, imploring us all to keep the energy up on a Sunday night. There was a touching video tribute to Walter Becker while the band played one of his solo songs (Book of Liars).

Keith Carlock on drums is indeed a revelation...one of the best live drummers I've ever seen. Flawlessly precise with impeccable traditional grip technique.

So, was it Steely Dan I saw or Donald solo? All I know is a few thousand people came to see Steely Dan and were on their feet cheering and applauding at the end. We all left satisfied.

Date: October 23, 2017 11:21

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

They did stop.

However, they (David?) couldn't resist the temptation of £££££££ when they were offered huuuuge stadium-gigs several years later.

Sort of maybe, but they never really officially stopped and it's all a bit of a soap opera. It was only Roger Waters who publicly stated "Pink Floyd will not reunite" after each of the members were doing solo albums mid '80's, but the others in the band didn't feel the same way about that. They fought over the use of the name Pink Floyd in which David Gilmour et al won vs. Roger Waters in 1985. They (Gilmour/Pink Floyd) then recorded and released a studio album - A Momentary Lapse of Reason which was released within two years of the lawsuit in 1987- coupled with a giant tour. The second album came in '94 followed by another enormous tour. They (Gilmour Floyd) even released a third studio album as recently as 2014 - scraping bits and pieces from the barrel that featured keyboard bits from Rick Wright who died back in 2008.

«Mid-80s» was 1983, right after the appropriately titled The Final Cut.

I'm pretty sure David was offered lots of money for an album and a tour, which took place 4 (album) and 5 (tour) years later. This hiatus was even longer than the Stones's.

I haven't read anywhere that they planned to make albums or go on tour after The Final Cut before Michael Cohl came along. They did want to have control over the brand name, though..

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home