Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chet Flippo's "On the Road With the Stones"
Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: October 7, 2017 10:07

The things I learned from reading this book (these are always fun):

--There is no man on earth who knows more or cares more about rock and roll than Keith Richards.

--The New York Post can never surpass itself in terms of pure bs.

--Seriously, how awesome is the Kansas City police department?

--It's a shame Mick Jagger never met Lyndon Johnson. They would have hit it off famously.

--Bill Carter is the lawyer you and I wish we had.

--According to Bill Wyman, the Stones rehearsed about 40 songs for the 1975 tour.

--At a time when you couldn't give away tickets to an appearance by President Jimmy Carter, scalpers are getting $300 for Stones tickets. Charlie Watts is pleased to hear this.

--Charlie Watts hates Dr. Seuss.

--If Ron Wood had to play "It's All Over Now" right now, he would play Brian's part without even thinking about it.

--The Stones' costumes on the 1975 tour were designed by Giorgio Saint Angelo. Keith Richards has never heard of this guy.

--It's not only reprehensible, it is unacceptable for the wife of the prime minister to be cavorting with a group like The Rolling Stones.

--Who the hell wants to listen to Emerson, Lake and Palmer?

--The reason that Keith and Ron stopped in Fordynce AR that day was to get a burger, a Real Southern Burger.

--Anyone who thinks thinks the lifestyle of the rock star in the 1970s was the epitome of decadence and glamour has obviously never traveled with President John F. Kennedy.

--"Willy Loman Memorial Module" is secret code journalists use. It means, "my hotel room."

--Rock and rollers spend 92% of their time waiting for something to happen.

--The Rolling Stones 1978 Tour generated $30 million to the GNP of the United States of America.

--At a time when bands like Led Zeppelin and Van Halen were writing the standard textbook for outrageous backstage demands a-la "bowl of M&Ms ABSOLUTELY NO BROWN ONES," Flippo makes it clear that The Rolling Stones seemed content with pastrami sandwiches and cold Heinekin beer----and quite frankly, that makes me love the Stones even more.

--On "Far Away Eyes," Mick sounds about as country as you do.

--Chet Flippo writes that he, Keith and Ron "talked for a while about things that undoubtedly would not interest you, things such as song selection and order, the desireability of older songs over newer ones, Mick Jagger's guitar playing...trivia such as that."
Chet Flippo was wrong.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-07 11:18 by stevecardi.

Re: Chet Flippo's "On the Road With the Stones"
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 7, 2017 14:26

-- Chet Flippo wrote great articles about the Rolling Stones, and the book compiling them (On the Road with ... )is a great read.

Date: October 31, 2023 01:52

I just picked up a copy of this book in a charity shop in Woodbridge, a small town in Suffolk, and it's been a fantastic read and a great charity shop find. Very funny, and a real good look at the Stones in 75, 77, 78, 79... I'm on the Concert for the blind chapter. Wonder if they would ever put that one out from the Vault? Maybe paired with the Nicaragua benefit, and the Sars one - Charity Stones....

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 31, 2023 02:10

In regards to VH no brown m&m's policy, it was put on there to make sure that the promotors actually read the full contract, not that they were prima donnas! DLR said if they saw brown m&m's, what else could they have missed in the contract.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2023 03:58

Of all the Stones books I've ever read it is, by far, my favorite. And it's excellent. And, on that note, it's the best book ever written about The Rolling Stones.

His meeting up with Jagger in a restaurant during the making of, what, ER?, is possibly the best part of the book (the only exception being 'Just waiting around to get busted' or whatever Mick said in Toronto).

Flippo truly caught the moment(s) with ease and perfection and with zero attitude except the right one.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 31, 2023 17:15

I have to take exception to the ELP comment! Saw them several times, great show!

Date: October 31, 2023 20:22

The first thing that always pops in my mind re. this book, is the 'chop chop', and Jagger not offering him any.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2406
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home