Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

MSG: Stones, 2 dates, Macca 4. Why?
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 15, 2005 01:31

Maybe this has been discussed already, but does anybody have some insight into just why the Stones play MSG just once now and once again later, while Macca sells out the place for 4 shows in 6 nights. Could they not have sold out 4 consecutive shows? I also noticed that they do have consecutive shows at a few venues, so why not MSG? Of all places why not do consecutive nights there?

Re: MSG: Stones, 2 dates, Macca 4. Why?
Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: September 15, 2005 01:35

Who really cares?
Maybe it´s because Macca is supposed to play som songs he´s never done on this tour (please please me & Come and get it and some more)
and NYC isn´t that keen on hearing the current setlist 2,3 or 4 nights in a row?

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: September 15, 2005 01:38

They certainly could have sold out 4 consecutive nights at MSG, but chose instead to play Giants Stadium on the first leg, thus giving NYC a chance to see both productions of the show. They are returning for 2 more shows at MSG in January, so for the tour they will have played 3 nights at MSG and 1 at Giants, so they will play to more people in the NYC area than McCartney in his 4 MSG shows.

The reality is that the NYC market is so strong for both of these acts that I'm sure each of them could play 10 nights at MSG.

For the McCartney shows there, an on sale date was announced and without much notice was pushed up by 2 days, thus leaving a lot of fans without tickets who were preparing to buy tickets to his shows, but never heard about the earlier public on sale date. Even so, he easily sold out 4 shows there.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: September 15, 2005 01:41

Indeed the stones play to more people in New York.

U2 plaued six shows at the MSG this tour ;-)

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: September 15, 2005 01:42

It's simple: McCartney has more fans who want to see him peform.

Date: September 15, 2005 01:44

Actually, U2 is playing 8 shows at MSG on their current tour. There was 1 in May and upcoming 5 straight nights in October, then a return for 2 more shows in November. They also played 2 shows in East Rutherford in May as well, so a total of 10 NYC area shows.

Date: September 15, 2005 01:59

Hey Jimmie, this really wasn't intended to be a "Stones vs. Macca" thread. I am just curious about the subject at hand.

I had completely forgotten about the Giants Stadium gig. So actually NYC does have several opportunities to see the Stones on this tour.

Date: September 15, 2005 02:05

I think it's a case that in the 3 largest US cities and media markets, NYC, L.A. and Chicago that the Stones play both arenas and stadiums to allow these markets to experience both productions of the show, as well as play to a larger total of people than if they only did arenas.

I live in L.A. and while I like the idea of being able to see arena shows here, I would not want to miss having the chance to see the stadium stage stage and production at least one time in my area.

Posted by: fv ()
Date: September 15, 2005 02:13

If the Stones charged the same as U2 ($54 to $169.50) they would sell out a month at the Garden. As hard as it is to believe, a lot of people think $455.00 is a bit high for a concert ticket winking smiley. Mac's tickets range from $55 to $280.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 15, 2005 02:14

What are the ticket prices for macca vs the stones prices? That l am sure makes a difference.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: September 15, 2005 02:32

Macca's prices for MSG are $279.50, 154.50, 89.00, and 54.50.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 15, 2005 03:01

BOBM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's simple: McCartney has more fans who want to
> see him peform.

wrong! stones sold more tickets then him, so more people in NYC want to see the Stones the Macca. Giants stadium =3 MSG shows

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 15, 2005 03:15

BOBM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's simple: McCartney has more fans who want to
> see him peform.

Maybe in Liverpool! Not in the rest of the planet. Just look at the numbers of the previous tours of both.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: September 15, 2005 03:27

Going back to the U2 part, they are doing 4 shows at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, if I'm not mistaken. The Stones are doing the one later this month at the Rogers Centre (formerly SkyDome). More Toronto shows please! At least one more!smiling smiley

Date: September 15, 2005 03:52

U2 is playing their 4 shows in Toronto this week with their second night tonight.

Michael Cohl had said the 2006 tour will start on January 7th, which means 1 show can be added before Montreal. If this information has not changed, then my guess is that date will be used for an arena show in Toronto, which could be announced right after the Rogers Centre show.

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: September 15, 2005 04:16

I think Springsteen did 453 consecutive nights there, or SOMETHING like that ;-)) in 2003 and 1999.....hahaha

Rod

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home