Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones #3=US a waning power?
Posted by: redrum ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:41

Is the fact the Stones have consistently missed hitting #1 on Billboard album chart in recent decades evidence that the United States--culturally speaking--is a waning power? I don't know what artists are at #s 1-2 next week, but I'd bet it’s on the lines of a "Brittany Spears--Justin Timberlake" caliber. Need I say more?

Sadly, perhaps citizens of New Orleans, most having no access to record shops, (or food, homes, etc, etc) could have made the difference? Had Katrina not hit the area, I wonder how many ABBs would have been sold in that region? Enough for #1?

New Orleans & vicinity: my heart goes out to you! Gods speed on rebuilding your lives & cities!

Re: Stones #3=US a waning power?
Posted by: eric ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:45

look redjerk-

If it was for our black american southern culture.. there would be NO STONES, BEATLES, Etc......BTW.... I am sure Brittany and justins concerts sold out in record flat in your country as well... #3 in the Worlds MAIN market for everything is way better than a #1 in half of the other worlds markets.. you make no sence... take your pity and go home!

Date: September 14, 2005 20:47

the CULTURE of the Stones IS Delta Blues AMERICAN... you idiot. Culture??? everytime the stones switch on the amps and start is a tribute to american southern blues culture...

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:58

There are A LOT of Stones fans in the regions devastated by Katrina. They normally sell out the New Orleans Super Dome.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: September 14, 2005 20:59

I don;t think they have played New Orleans since VL

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: September 14, 2005 21:02

#3 isnt that bad at all. I mean at least people know that the Stones are still a powerful force in the record market. Rap is the dominant music in the United States right now. For them to be in their early 60s and get to #3 and beat out so many other young and popular artists is quite an accomplishment. The Stones aren't waning out, they are just working against very tough competitors. I'm sure if other major acts like Madonna, U2 or Aerosmith were to go up against rap's biggest stars they'd see the same conclusion. The Stones still rule. period.

Date: September 14, 2005 21:04

Whoa...wait a minute...I'm not trying to trash Black American culture. What I meant is that if the damned hurricane hadn't hit New Orleans, people would have been able to purchase the new album down there....which may have helped push the sales/album to #1.

My apologies if my post gave you the wrong impression.

I suppose I errored, in I mixing 2 topics in 1 post: that Americans--in general, at this time are a waning culturally (caused, in part, by a corporoate America pushing the Timberlakes and Spears).(Hell, wouldn't it be great if BB King or Buddy Guy could outsell the Stones!?)

The other point was if Katrina hadn't hit, the good folks of New Orleans whould have bought "Bigger Bang".

My sincere apolpgies for causing any misunderstanding.

Date: September 14, 2005 21:10

COOL!!!! I apologize as well for getting excited and taking it wrong, but sometimes on this board with all the bashing it's hard to tell. Again, I am sorry too.... ROCK ON BROTHER!!!!

Date: September 14, 2005 21:14

Eric, et al

Think nothing of itsmiling smiley *I* need to be carfeul when composing a message & make reasonably sure its not going to be taken wrong. Its so easy to give wrong impression in emails...

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 14, 2005 21:18

Let's face it, the fact that The Stones are in the top 5 considering today's music market in the U.S. is simply amazing. If Macca gets into the top 5 I'll be amazed (well doubly amazed) again, so, Maybe I'm Amazed!

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: September 14, 2005 21:28

Yes, top 5 (#3) isn't too shabby, I guess I shouldn't complian...

Yes, the Rolling Stones have *not* played New Orleans, Louisiana since 10 Oct 1994 (Voodoo Lounge Tour). Long time fans may recall that this was broadcast live on FM radio in US. I remember the mix was horrible. The show was and continues to be, heavily booted.

If memory serves, the Stones played New Orleans in 1978, 1981, 1989 and 1994. All at Superdome and all just one night/show per tour. Baton Rouge got the boys on Woodys birthday (1 June) in 1975, 2 shows in 1 day. All Superdome shows circulate on bootlegs. Best is from 1981 (soundboard).
I think a gig in Shreveport took place in 1965 or thereabouts, during the days of sceaming teenage girls. There is an awsome website "Time Is On Our Side" that lists all known stones gigs , cross referenced by date/location. See "Connection" on IORR.

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: September 14, 2005 21:42

jumpinjackgreg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
#3 isnt that bad at all.

Right. In addition to the rap factor, remember that most consumers who purchase music fall into a demographic far younger than be interested in the Stones. The fact that enough of us purchased the CD to take it to number three is actually really impressive.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: September 14, 2005 21:55

whether its America or Europe or Asia

maybe its just because the Stones aren't so popular these days?

ever think of that ?

nobody owes them a living. if they fail to hit #1 who gives a flying @#$%& ?

seriously ?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 14, 2005 22:00

Actually Brittany (sp?) is no longer a significant force as a record seller - Justin's popularity seems to be past its peak too. Of course there is always lots of dreck to take their place. In '67 it was likely the Tijuana Brass, '83 it was Lionel Richie, '89 Milli Vanilli or some hair metal band. Bridges to Babylon, btw, also peaked at # 3. With WAY more airplay than the new cd is getting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-14 22:01 by john r.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 14, 2005 22:09

Guys, the stability of the Stones after 43 years is a little miracle. The fact that the Stones remain the best selling and the most popular live act in the world is a huge miracle!

"Waning power" in comparison with what exactly period? Only the decade 1971- 1981? Let me remind you

USA charts. 1968, Beggars Banquet #5. 1969, Let It Be #3. 1983, Undercover #4. 1986, Dirty Work #4. 1989, Steel Wheels #3. 1944, Voodoo Lounge #2 (but it have sold 8 million copies worldwide).
In the UK even during the "golden years" 1971-81 there were not only #1. 1974, IORR #4. 1976, Black and Blue #2. Even Some Girls, which have sold 9-10 million copies worldwide, got #3.

We must wait for see the whole sales everywhere, that's the important measure.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 14, 2005 22:11

Errr... Werent those black dudes... African?
Otherwise I think its the diversion, the fragmentized state
of the media biz in US that we have to blame or thank for that
ABB rises to slow...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 14, 2005 23:00

>In the UK even during the "golden years" 1971-81 there were not only #1. 1974, IORR #4. 1976, Black and Blue #2. Even Some Girls, which have sold 9-10 million copies worldwide, got #3.

IORR and SG were #2 in UK. Between 1969-1981 every studio album went Top 2 in UK.

>We must wait for see the whole sales everywhere, that's the important measure.

Agreed, Mediabase's numbers are coming on Friday. I expect first week sales close to 500,000 worldwide, so far we got:
USA: 128,700
UK: 43,400
Japan: 42,000
Holland: 40,000
Argentina: 20,000
Portugal: 20,000
Canada: 16,000

310,000 from 7 countries.

Posted by: intv7 ()
Date: September 14, 2005 23:49

Think about this -- Britney, Justin, etc. -- that stuff is aimed at kids, who are the prime target demographic for the record industry. Old fogies DON'T BUY CD's as much as young kids do.

The Stones audience on the whole has gotten older (despite always attracting younger people as well) and they aren't as prone to buy music. Kids buy CD's, 40-somethings tend to buy far less on the whole.

Plus in the US there really are no radio stations that play NEW music by classic rock artists. You can turn on any average Top 40 station and hear the latest Britney single 10 times in an hour, while I STILL HAVE NOT HEARD A SINGLE TRACK FROM 'ABB' the radio!!

Considering these facts, a #3 placing is PHENOMENAL!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 14, 2005 23:57

I doubt that the hurricane would have made any difference to the chart position in the US

I would have thought that 50Cent and Kanye West would have been more likely to shift records to the record buying public in that part of the world than the Stones would have

Date: September 15, 2005 00:57

remember from my earlier posts about billboard. We here originally thought that is looked like a #7 debut and then I posted it could be 3 or 4 on the chart for a debut. NOW, we are all really encouraged here and the way the tour is going and all the press the word around here is #1 on the next chart........

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 15, 2005 02:20

Please you people need to get a life, or at least get laid, this crazy fixation with #1 its getting boring.
They won't hit #1.
END OF THE STORY

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 15, 2005 03:43

Georgelicks wrote "IORR and SG were #2 in UK".

I have seen the same on various catalogues and magazines. BUT i saw on the complete NME album charts:
IORR, first week (26 October 1974) # 14 and #4, #4, #5, #11, #18, etc
Some Girls, first week (17 June 1978) #11 and #10, 5 weeks #3, #8 #7 (and some more weeks on top 10)

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 15, 2005 04:47

NME is not the official UK chart, there are BIG variations of the Record Week/Music Week official chart and the NME, just see:

IORR: NME #4 / Official: #2
Some Girls: NME #3 / Official: #2
Tattoo You: NME #1 for 2 weeks / Official: #2 for 2 weeks
Undercover: NME: #1 for a week / Official: #3

The NME chart is like the Cashbox chart in US, for example the last US #1 album was Steel Wheels on Cashbox but the official Billboard position is #3.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1516
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home