Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Favorite Ron Wood solo album
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:05

i pick "gimme some neck"....solid all the way through...like the production...his singing reminds me of a bob dylan/keith richards hybrid...best wishes

Re: Favorite Ron Wood solo album
Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:17

I don't know which one is the best. Ronnie recorded quite some good stuff. I think Not For Beginners is a lovely record.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:18

I've Got My Own Album To Do
Now Look
Not For Beginners

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-15 21:38 by erikjjf.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:20

I love Now Look, but in general I think Ronnie has put out better solo albums than any of the other Stones.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:22

here we go again - and about once a month I must plug the highly underrated, underappreciated and misunderstood masterpiece:

Date: September 14, 2005 20:23

Gimme Some Neck is a great Ronnie w/Charlie collaboration! beautiful. "Buried Alive" has Jagger on it too..
but I love the others as well, especially IGMOATD. only one I haven't heard is 1234 for some reason....
DR

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:26

Now Look is classic - Bobby Womack the perfect collaborator (plus Keith, Mick Taylor, McLagan etc)- Stones/Faces rock n roll plus funk 'n' soul from a master. Ron works well w/ strong collaborators.
Not For Beginners, his latest (2001), is a haunted, late-night beauty w/ a surprising bittersweet & sometimes angry edge, very personal, & 4 or 5 of the songs stuck with me after merely 1 or 2 plays.
I also like the soundtrack w/ Ronnie Lane, Mahoney's Last Stand, tho it needs a decent cd remaster - check out "Just For a Moment" - a moving, classic song.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:29

I wonder why it is so hard to find wood (solo & faces) cds in Milano

C

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:40

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i pick "gimme some neck"....solid all the way
> through...like the production...his singing
> reminds me of a bob dylan/keith richards
> hybrid...best wishes

Funny you mention the production, because I think it's terrible. It could have been his best because the band plays wonderful and the songs are really good. But man, the production sucks.

To me, his first one is the best. Followed by Slide on This.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:41

It's hard to find them anywhere because the only one that might be considered a hit is "Gimme Some Neck" (# 47, 1979) & the only others to chart are NL & 1234 (amazing the debut did not, as Faces were still together & huge, various superstars appear throughout, etc)...RW is starting a new label according to his website - he mentioned going into 'the archives' & it would be nice if he expanded/remastered as much of his catalog as he can, a la McLagan and his solo re-issues. The cds on Sony (GSN, 1234), Warners (first 2), & that crappy version of Mahoney's, minus the nice orig cover art & with bad sound especially need some TLC. Dont see many anywhere, far as I can tell. Koch did reissue the 2 Continuum cds (after the label went under) w/ new artwork around 5 years ago, Slide On Live has some studio bonus cuts.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:43

< I love Now Look, but in general I think Ronnie has put out better solo albums than any of the other Stones.>
HE PLAYED BETTER ON HIS SOLO ALBUMS THAN ON STONES RECORDS.
BEST STONES SOLO EFFORT IS BY FAR 'TALK IS CHEAP' BY KEITH. MAY BE EVEN THE SCOND BEST "STONES" ALBUM RIGHT BEHIND EXILE.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:47

My personal fav will always be Now Look, but I like many of them. Second and third would be his first and Gimme Some Neck.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: September 14, 2005 20:54

great news about the new label by Ronnie, sounds like he's preparing for post-stones work, hopefully a new CD of his work. New collaborations!

Date: September 14, 2005 21:00

Post-Stones sounds promising, and gets replaced by Waddy Wachtel or.....Mick Taylor.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 14, 2005 21:00

I like Gimme Some Neck. Seven Days is great. I always play that for people and they always love it.

I also really like I Can Feel the Fire, and Act Together off of IGMOATD.
Although I only have that on an LP, and it skips so I never listen to it anymore. I'm gonna go look for a cd of that one. It's been a long time.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: pafult01 ()
Date: September 14, 2005 21:52

Wood's live version of Seven Days on the Bob Dylan 30th anniversary concert CD is awesome! Seven more days, and all I got to do is survive ...

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 14, 2005 22:16

I only have Slide On This and Not For Beginners. I'm absolutely not sure which one I like better, but on SOT I prefer the songs that have drive, whilst on NFB, I prefer the relaxing instrumentals. Exceptions to this rule are Always Wanted More and This Little Heart.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 14, 2005 22:19

Gimmie Some Neck, mainly because it's such a great souvenir of the New Barbarians tour. I think they played just about the entire album (saw them at MSG 5/7/79). Also, I'm not sure what it was called (Troublemaker?), but Ian McLagan released a solo album at around the same time, and actually, it's HIS album that better captures the way the Barbarians actually SOUNDED onstage.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 14, 2005 22:52

Roy Thomas Baker produced (overproduced) Gimme Some Neck. He was hot at the time as producer of the Cars, among others. He seemed a strange choice for Woody and still does.

GSN is still my favorite Ronnie though.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 14, 2005 23:58

Slide on This by far has what I consider some his best guitar playing. But I like all his solo discs. Always great to go back and hear Gimmie Some Neck

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 15, 2005 00:09

Have to go for Now Look. An understated classic!

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: September 15, 2005 01:37

now look
and the album with i can feel the fire on it.whats that album called????

Date: September 15, 2005 05:57

I have everything by the Stones, as well as the solo Jagger and solo Richards, plus all the Faces stuff, but none of the Wood solo albums. It sounds like there are some gems in there!

I wish the Stones would release all their solo stuff as MP3s for one low price, like maybe $50 bucks. There is no way I can afford to go out and buy every single thing Wood, Wyman, Watts, Taylor and Jones ever released under their own names, but as a collector I would love to have it all. And I'm sure there is enough good stuff in there to make several killer mix CDs.

I doubt those recordings are exactly flying off the shelves these days, so selling it all as a bundle (including Mick and Keith's stuff, which I already have but not everyone does, and throw in that Troublemaker album and anything else that has substantial Stones guest contributions) for $50 would be a good bargain for the fans and the artists alike. Brian Jones' heirs could use his cut to build another statue of him smiling smiley

More realistically, maybe Wood should put out a one CD best of compilation. Or is there already one out there? Maybe I should make my own. If you Wood experts had to pick 18 or so songs, which ones would you pick and in what order?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 15, 2005 07:12

ALL of Ronnies solo albums have been very good. The first two though will always be in my heart since it was before Ronnie joined the Stones that these were released. Back in those days I kept thinking that a Keith-Ronnie collaboration within the Stones was such a natural. Very sympathetic players, and you got a sense of that with IGMOATD along with Now Look. My friends and I while I was in college in the early-mid 70's played the shit out those first two Ronnie lp's. Had to buy second copies. Ronnie was a hot player back when those first two albums were recorded and the mix on Now Look is so warm. The first album was raw and fresh. Ronnie had/still has such great players on his solo albums. First time to Richmond many years ago I made the mecca walk up the hill to find Wick House. Lots of music history in there eh?

How about giving Ronnie a front man spot on this tour? While I like the versions of The Worst and Infamy Keith isn't exactly knocking the fans dead with his choices thus far. Give "the kid" a shot.

Date: September 15, 2005 08:29

filstan, your post warms the cockles of my previously frozen heart. thanks for sharing those great memories. And hell, yeah, let Ronnie sing one. It's a shame they are pretty much relagating him to an (unspoken) sideman roll these days. He should be treated as the full fledged 30 year member he is. Screw The Worst. I vote for Oo La La and Seven Days rotating with a few others!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 15, 2005 17:59

Those numbers would be outstanding additions to any concert, but the Stones only play Rolling Stones numbers when they tour. I Can Feel the Fire would qualify, Sure the One You Need. While Act Together could get a little painful with Keith and Ronnie on vocals these days, it would be heartwarming to get MJ, Ronnie, and Keith to sing this one.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:17

Am I Grooving You?
~*YEAH!*~
ahem pardon - i mean: i'd love to hear the Stones do that one in concert:
gloriously raunchy Glimmer Twin counter-vocals to Ronnie's joyfully raunchy lead -
~*YEAH!*~

oops - forgot to answer the question, didn't i? :E
IGMOATD and 1234

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-15 22:01 by with sssoul.

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:18

I've Got My Own Album To Do

Date: September 15, 2005 18:25

Sorry to say but for me Ron belongs to Rod Stewart and will never be a real "stone", though I like IGMOATD a lot. But even there it is Keith whom I like best on 'Cancel everything' and 'Sure the one you need'.

May be they should just do another Faces album.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:34

I wonder if that rumored Ronnie/Rod album will ever be finished and released...perhaps after this tour....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1326
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home