Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

When Was The Last Time This Happened?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 14, 2005 17:40

Okay, I know everyone thinks the new version of 19th Nervous Breakdown SUCKS (ANY version without Bill's dive-bombing bass runs sucks), but, calling all trainspotters: When was the last time (before last night, that is) that they played PIB and Breakdown in the same set? '66? '67?

Re: When Was The Last Time This Happened?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 14, 2005 17:46

who says the new 19NB sucks? based on what I heard from the rs.com video, it's one of the more exciting developments I've heard from the lads in years.... As to your question - yeah, probably '66 - guess they didn't pair these up in 94/95.... And, from what I heard on the rs.com post, the bass divebombs are there - but it sounded/looked like Woody was playing them on the low strings....

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: September 14, 2005 17:46

Probably.

They played 19th Nevrvous Breakdown in '97 at least on the Horseshoe and Double Door gig but no Paint it Black. They played Paint it Black on the Bridges to Babylon tour (or at least the No Security tour) but i don't if they combined both songs on one night.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 14, 2005 17:48

The played 19th opening Night of BTB at Soldier Field....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 14, 2005 17:56

tatters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, I know everyone thinks the new version of
> 19th Nervous Breakdown SUCKS (ANY version without
> Bill's dive-bombing bass runs sucks), but, calling
> all trainspotters: When was the last time (before
> last night, that is) that they played PIB and
> Breakdown in the same set? '66? '67?

The Hague 15th April 1967

they may have played them both on the final 1967 show two nights later in Athens (19NB was definitely played) but the full setlist for that show is unconfirmed

[rocksoff.org]

19th nervous Breakdown was then not played again until 1997. Paint it Black was dropped until 1989-90, re-emerging in 1998.

Both songs were played on the BTB tour, but 19NB's final appearance was in Buenos Aires on 30th March (great version that was broadcast on TV)..it wasnt played again until the Toronto club show last month. Paint it Black didnt appear on that tour until Malaga on 16th July

..and as far as I know most people thought the new version of 19NB was pretty good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-14 17:57 by Gazza.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 14, 2005 17:56

The radical re-working of a tune is a an excellent development--glad that the Stones are experimenting with different options...

I'm still daydreaming about "Country Honk."

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 14, 2005 18:34

19th should also be one of the very rare occasions when the stones re-work in a significant way the structure of a song.

C

Posted by: eric ()
Date: September 14, 2005 18:38

Tatters-

I love the fact that they did this song this way... it showed a side of them that they are capable of. The song was GREAT!... I have posted alot recently about the reworked songs of ZEP that Robert Plant is now doing. They are amazing, no they are not the studio version but they have a new life of thier own created by the creator and not some bimbo like Brittney Spears. I TOTALLY APPLAUDE THE STONES FOR HAVING THE BALLS AND SHOW THEY STILL HAVE THE MUSIC ABILITY TO TAKE THE PAST AND BRING IN INTO THE FUTURE...SHAME ON THE ONES WHO CANT UNDERSTAND THE ARTISTIC SIDE OF MUSIC..... WAY TO GO BOYS... KEEP IT UP... HELL REWORK SFTD AND MISS YOU AND HTW... GO FOR IT SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT. FACT IS, FOR ME 19TH WAS A HIGHLIGHT OF LAST NIGHTS SHOW....AT LEAST IT WAS THE MOST INTERESTING PART OF A GREAT NIGHT! THE DIEHARDS ( SOME OF THEM ) DONT UNDERSTAND THIS, I DO.. ITS IMPORTANT FOR THE STONES TO DO THIS....AFTER 42 SHOWS... I LEFT INSPIRED BY THIS ONE AND 19TH WAS THE MAIN REASON WHY.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 14, 2005 19:30

Well, in my humble opion this reworked version sucks big time...it's not reworked, it's just played much slower...just like they did The Last Time during the BTB tour. Same can be achieved if you play your old 45 Single with 33 1/3 LP speed...probably the Stones did just this when they rehearsed in Toronto...not even noticing the mistake...!

The Stones actually tried to rework older stuff for the Some Girls Tour in 1978. Listen to rehearsals of Play With Fire, Tell Me, Gimme Shelter and the like. They obviously reworked stuff to give it a much "punkier" attitude; considering Punk Rock was "en vogue" at the time... However, not much went into the final setlist back then. But, in general, even the warhorses were played with a "punky" attitude back then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-14 19:32 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 14, 2005 19:55

New version is just lovely.
Go to Lorenz, Rutger or Kent & ask for my email,
and I´ll get it for you. Cool & cocky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1257
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home