Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Are the Black Crowes the best qualified band to carry on the Stones' tradition ?
Date: September 14, 2005 12:03

<I'd give the Crowes the nod over Aerosmith. Especially after the last two albums Aerosmith has put out.>

Did you hear "Honkin' On Bobo" (With You Gotta Move etc.)?

Re: Are the Black Crowes the best qualified band to carry on the Stones' tradition ?
Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 14, 2005 14:05

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you hear "Honkin' On Bobo" (With You Gotta
> Move etc.)? >
>

Sure did, and I thought it was a lousy album. I've dug when Aerosmith has done their versions of the blues in the past, but on that album, they do the blues in a screeching heavy-metal style that sounds jarring and, quite honestly in my opinion, just plain bad. Nine Lives was the last good Aerosmith album, I thought. I hope they regain their stride with the next one, because I do like them.

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:26

Hi,BC could do this if they just get back to being a band.Remmeber the current tour is a reunion tour because they broke up for 3 or 4 years..

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:55

Hansel Wrote:
> Hi,BC could do this if they just get back to being
> a band.Remmeber the current tour is a reunion tour
> because they broke up for 3 or 4 years..

It was a hiatus. They are more a band than the Stones, they're friends and they really enjoy playing together. They really are on the road together, not like the Stones who are coming to the shows do their job seperately : one car for Mick, one for keith, etc ..

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 14, 2005 20:58

"They are more a band than the Stones, they're friends and they really enjoy playing together".

- What a stupid thing to say! THe Stones has been together for 11-12, 30, and 43 years from the latest to the oldest members - Keith & Mick has known each other seens 1950 or so. They are zillionaires; why would they bother travel around if they werent friends?? Do they not enjoy plaing together?? Rubbish, with all respect.

Posted by: czr ()
Date: September 17, 2005 03:41

The Black Crows are blues rock & have a Stones like sound, but the Chilli Peppers are going to go as far as the Stones. So as far as careers go the Peppers are following in their foot steps. Any thoughts?

Posted by: heyheymymyitb ()
Date: September 17, 2005 04:27

I think the Black Crowes are way overrated. I saw them open for Tom Petty, and their jams went nowhere and were seemingly endless.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 17, 2005 10:32

About the Peppers: it was the single worst gig I ever witnessed. Also the gigs I saw on TV were aweful. They are simply horrible on stage. To me they are finished - so no, they will never go as far as the stones. Not with dignity anyway. 'By the way' was a joke and I will never buy a peppers album again. Blood Sugar Sex Magic, Californication (and some songs on One hot minute) are good (I never enjoyed their music before 1991). But jesus they suck big time right now.
No disrespect to the fans, but they really became a terrible band IMHO.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 17, 2005 10:42

No. The Stones will rock on. And when they're finished, I will take my guitar and carry it on.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: September 17, 2005 11:19

i've always like the black crowes but saw them this spring in new york and was also kind of bored - their energy is nowhere near the same. however, each of their three shows were quite different so a hard core fan would be psyched to have seen all three...

Date: September 18, 2005 07:42

About the Peppers sucking? Bowiestone I can see that your not a Peppers fan. Yes they have had their share of embarrassing moments & recordings that aren't that hot, but do your self a favor & rent their DVD at Slane Castle. It is there best show.
I'm not saying that the Peppers will take on the Blues Rock torch, just that
as far as Sex, Drugs & Rock & Roll goes, they've done it....like the Stones did. (read the book "Scare Tissue") They've recorded more that most bands in the last 20 years & still going going strong.

Now before anybody says the Peppers suck please whatch their prefomance at Slane Castle.
They have done for funk what the Stones did for Blues.
No band will carry on the Stones tradition, they are the Best! Long live the Stones.

Date: September 18, 2005 07:46

?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-20 06:50 by czr.

Date: September 18, 2005 10:41

I will never watch a live performers by those guys anymore. I have witnessed one and saw two or three on TV. All were aweful. Especially Kiedis... the guy just cannot sing.

"They have done for funk what the Stones did for Blues."

==> that's giving them way too much credit. In the early 60s the blues was something most white people never heard of... well, maybe they heard of it, but they didn't know artists.
When the peppers came on the scene, funk was a a big selling genre.
It's not because both bands (stones & peppers) were one of the first white bands making respectively blues and funk ("black music") that they were important for the genre. Everybody was well-aware of funk music before the peppers made their entrance. And what the peppers do is whiter than white... while funk is only great done by artists with true emotions and guts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-18 10:58 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: September 18, 2005 12:56

No. Once they are gone, it's over.

Milo, NYC
It'll catch you off guard

Date: September 19, 2005 07:57

The Black Crows Rock but they don't compare. AC/DC, now there's a Rock band that compares!

BowieStone wrote:

" In the early 60s the blues was something most white people never heard of... well, maybe they heard of it, but they didn't know artists."

"When the peppers came on the scene, funk was a a big selling genre"

Hello BowieStone,
I respect your opinion & I disagree.
In the early 80's the Funk was something most white people never heard of... well, maybe they heard of it, but they didn't know artists. They knew Disco just like the white kids of the 60's who knew Pop.

"And what the Peppers do is whiter than white... while funk is only great done by artists with true emotions and guts."

White kids all over now know who George Cliton is because the Peppers had the guts to take the emotion of Funk & mix it with the emotion of Punk.
Really, watch "Live at Slane Castle" they have gotten alot better. Then decide if they suck.

May the Peppers & the Stones Rock forever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-20 06:47 by czr.

Date: September 19, 2005 10:10

TSSOL, AC/DC, Crowes, Peppers are all good band... But by far
not comparable with the Rolling @#$%& Stones.

The only entities comparable would the Beatles & the Beatles.
The former disappeared some 35 years ago; the latter put
his gloves on the shelf and ended up 6 ft. beneath the
Tennesseean clay 28 years ago. Of course there are nebuloses
of black stars on the blues heaven; such as (e.g.) Muddy,
Jimi, Otis, John Lee Hooker etc etc: but their repertoire are
to narrow to attract the broader segments of non-black listeners.
The irresistable with the Stones for me is the mix of blues, rock, r&b,
soul, pop gospel and a touch of country. They still carry the pop formula
with themselves - which can be heard at ABB: as well as the blues
never abandons them.
I´m a huge fan of Thin Lizzy & Deep Purple; but I do realize they also
have a too introvert catalog to reach as far as the Stones do.

The thread can go on forever; and the Stones will live forever.
They are the GREATEST; thats why I use to hang around here.

Date: September 19, 2005 11:09

czr Wrote:

>
> "When the peppers came on the scene, funk was a a
> big selling genre"
>
> Hello BowieStone,
> I respect your opinion & I disagree.
> In the early 80's the Funk was something most
> white people never heard of... well, maybe they
> heard of it, but they didn't know artists. They
> knew Disco just like the white kids of the 60's
> who knew Pop.
>

James Brown hitting #1s in the 60s and 70s. Sly & The Family Stone performing at Woodstock (for a mostly white audience) and having #1 singles and albums. Those two are the biggest names in funk and it's not because the peppers made some lousy funk that white people know those names. Everybody was influenced by James Brown. I don't think Mick Jagger thought: "WOW those peppers are great, who are their influences? Mmmm, James Brown, I must check him out."

And by the way, the peppers debut is from 1984. Some dedicated followers (Prince & Michael Jackson) of Sly & James were selling millions and millions of albums.

Don't get me wrong... I enjoyed two of their albums and I did the effort to see them on stage because I liked them. And hey, Flea plays some bass on Wandering Spirit. But with the release of 'by the way' (that I also bought) and some shows on tv I thought: they suck big time right now. You have to admit their influence is not that they made funk famous with white people... it was already big.

But hey did something new, a crossover of funk and metal. But there's a much better band in that genre: Living Colour. They rule.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-19 11:09 by BowieStone.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 19, 2005 11:45

Re: peppers

I've seen them a couple of times live and I have some boots.
They can be a great band (the second time I saw them they truly blew me away). Unfortunately the singer, not very talented in the first place, often is out of voice. In studio sex magic & californication were truly great great albums. 1 hot minute was also great (I love navarro's guitar work) but AK's singing I did not like. The last one is ok, it has some very good trax, but all in all is nothing special.
I hear a lot of Zappa, more than JB or other black funk acts.

Re: stones

I've read a clever quote by Little Steven (who IS a fan, by the way). More or less it said that if the stones were in their 20s now, they would hardly get any air play.
I believe it is true.
Times have changed alot. One can carry on the spirit of the great rock and roll acts (and I believe that the BC do), but the big rock and roll era is for ever closed.

C

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: September 19, 2005 12:27

Many of these bands will rock in there 60's. But the Stones did it first. They will never be beaten. They are the originals. Newer bands look like cliches of other bands. The Stones look like cliches of themselves. Only Led Zepplin could have given them a run for their money. If Led Zep were still around they could pull 50,000 to staduims too.

Date: September 19, 2005 12:55

Zepplin collapsed under their own weight.
They only needed some three-four years to become parodies of themselves.
The formula was stuck already in 1971 imho (and I´m a huge fan).

The Doors m-a-y have been able to match the Stones, given:
they hadnt been banned in some 50 stated, Morrison hadnt
gotten so unfocused, and if he hadnt left us.
...But, still, their road went to the Armageddon,
and people dont want to go there.

No, I say they were alone up there already in 1971-72.

Purple & Led Zep were major acts, as were the whole heavy rock-
as well as the glam scene... But too small a segment for those markets;
only kids rock.

The Stones stuck to the refined rock ´n roll. The winning road.

Date: September 19, 2005 13:51

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> Zepplin collapsed under their own weight.
> They only needed some three-four years to become
> parodies of themselves.
> The formula was stuck already in 1971 imho (and
> I´m a huge fan).

Their best album is from 1975. And the albums after that (Presence, In Through The Outdoor, Coda) are heavily underrated. They grew just until 1975. It couldn't get better but they still released some good efforts after that.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 19, 2005 18:04

No band is qualified to carry on the stones tradition...the black crowes are a pale imitation of the faces

Posted by: danielb ()
Date: September 19, 2005 20:13

Nothing comes close.

But my vote goes for the Red Hot Chili Peppers

Date: September 19, 2005 20:39

I also like Presence.
I aint talkin about their music, but their appearance.
And their bad manners.
And their clichés.

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: September 19, 2005 21:58

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> the black crowes are a pale imitation
> of the faces

Bullshits !! Listen before giving a judgement.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 19, 2005 22:11

its "bullshit" not "bullshits"....i've heard complete black crowes cds...i stand by my judgement....theyre a pale imitation of the faces & the stones!!!...now go to the bong...inhale deeply...now, exhale, slowly...thata boy!!...best wishes all

Date: September 20, 2005 06:27

Bowiestone wrote:

>>James Brown hitting #1s in the 60s and 70s. Sly & The Family Stone performing at Woodstock (for a mostly white audience) and having #1 singles and albums. Those two are the biggest names in funk and it's not because the peppers made some lousy funk that white people know those names. Everybody was influenced by James Brown. I don't think Mick Jagger thought: "WOW those peppers are great, who are their influences? Mmmm, James Brown, I must check him out."

And by the way, the peppers debut is from 1984. Some dedicated followers (Prince & Michael Jackson) of Sly & James were selling millions and millions of albums.

Don't get me wrong... I enjoyed two of their albums and I did the effort to see them on stage because I liked them. And hey, Flea plays some bass on Wandering Spirit. But with the release of 'by the way' (that I also bought) and some shows on tv I thought: they suck big time right now. You have to admit their influence is not that they made funk famous with white people... it was already big.

But hey did something new, a crossover of funk and metal. But there's a much better band in that genre: Living Colour. They rule.

CZR: Hello Bowiestone,
*****Yes Living Color did rule (Veron Reid shreds on guitar) but ask someone under 30 who they are, I don't think they will Know. I always felt they were a musisians band, a good one but not speaking to teens.

I think your forgetting the impact that Punk had on music. All music felt it's punch. Let's not forget the "Disco Sucks" campain that resulted in the breaking & burning of afew LP's. Alot of teens in the 80's were not interested in Funk. I don't think all teens were listening to "Billie Jean" & dancing in their bedrooms to "When Doves Cry" let alone "Sex Machine" or "Thankuforlettinmebemyself".
I think there were more air guitarist wanting to be in Van Halen than breaker's tring to walk on the moon.

Alot were Punks, Rockers & Metal Heads who discovered Funk in the Post Punk era thanks to the Peppers.
That is the closest thing to come to the impact the Stones had in the 60's .....that's all I'm saying.

Watch "Live at Slane Castle"smiling smiley
Long live the Stones.
CZR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-20 07:03 by czr.

Date: September 20, 2005 10:48

Well, most teens were listening to Billie Jean and When Doves Cry. If you check sales figures Thriller (the largest selling album of all time) and Purple Rain were bigger sellers than 1984 by Van Halen (which also sold massive ofcourse). BTW Eddie Van Halen playing on a disco/funk/rock record (Beat It)... I guess that was shocking in those days.

Not everybody can be intrested in funk, but a lot were. Could be that the peppers brought funk to the attention of some metalheads... but that isn't such a great achievement compared to the stones.
The stones introduced the blues to the whole 'white' world.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 20, 2005 11:21

I never thought the Black Crowes would be so negatively reviewed on a Stones site. They are no follow ups to the Stones, never will be. I agree The Rolling Stones are in a league of their own. I can't see any band filling the gap once they quit. Surely not the Peppers or Aerosmith.

Still like the Crowes though. I like their sound and live performances, really hope they come to Europe next year. But "time will tell..."

e.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: September 20, 2005 13:59

The Black Crowes is a R&R band in the sense that most people will never get them. They are also serious musicians and unconcerned with any trends. Check crowesbase for their setlists. They do everything from the Stones to Bob Marley, Bob Dylan to Iggy Pop and sound like they own those songs. I know that sentence flares emotions here, but that's just how it is.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1380
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home