Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
support acts? why don't they announce them?
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 5, 2017 23:00

Why do you thing that they didn't announce the support acts yet? Do they want to avoid critique for chosing a boring act? Or will there a real good/popular support? Do the need suspense? Or do they wait with the annoucement because they have such a good/popular support act AND need the support act to sell (lots of) remaining tickets?

Re: support acts? why don't they announce them?
Date: September 5, 2017 23:17

They have announced several support acts..

Date: September 5, 2017 23:20

DandelionPowderman

aha? Who and for which shows?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 5, 2017 23:28

I don't know why they don't , but over the years the Stones have had some great support acts like Sheryl Crow, Primal Scream and The Black Crows.

I always get the feeling that Stones audiences are very indifferent to support acts, almost uninterested even. Its like they have come for the main event and that's what matters.
Just one of those things i guess, and i can only comment on the Shows that i have seen. Perhaps it's a London thing. I think its very difficult for acts to support the Stones, they don't get to use that amazing sound system, or the lighting or anything else. Its a tough act to precede imho.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 23:33

slewan
DandelionPowderman

aha? Who and for which shows?

Hellacopters in Stockholm
Kaleo and John Lee Hooker Jr. in Spielberg

Date: September 5, 2017 23:36

Hellacopters - Stockholm (confirmed)
Kaleo - Hamburg (confirmed)
John Lee Hoover Jr/Kaleo - Spielberg (confirmed)
Kaleo – Munich (confirmed)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 12:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 5, 2017 23:37

right, but where's the announcement for Hamburg?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 23:39

Peter Maffay? I thought that was a joke.

Date: September 5, 2017 23:41

hockenheim95

maybe he read that it is not allowed to bring food into the venue and now he feels that nobody will throw tomatos at him this time…?

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 23:51

For those who weren't in Munich 82, Peter Maffay had already opened for the Stones...

Posted by: basti ()
Date: September 6, 2017 00:19

Please no Maffay !!!!

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: September 6, 2017 00:19

Ah, Mick likes to control everything. You need to ask him.
Still no British Stadiums available to host no Filter shows in UK. Utter BS.
there are at least 5 Major Stadiums that could easily accommodate a RS show at short notice in 2017. Glasgow Hampden - London take your pick. Wales Cardiff Millenium. Republic Of Ireland Aviva. North of England Newcastle - Manchester - Leeds.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 6, 2017 00:30

Tonstone
there are at least 5 Major Stadiums that could easily accommodate a RS show at short notice in 2017. Glasgow Hampden - London take your pick. Wales Cardiff Millenium. Republic Of Ireland Aviva. North of England Newcastle - Manchester - Leeds.

Just wondering why no London gigs. Makes no sense, they sell out in hours.
Maybe they got something up their sleeve, perhaps a surprise gig or two.
I just hope it ends where it all started, would be a fitting end to their brilliant career.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 6, 2017 00:39

stone4ever
I don't know why they don't , but over the years the Stones have had some great support acts like Sheryl Crow, Primal Scream and The Black Crows.

I always get the feeling that Stones audiences are very indifferent to support acts, almost uninterested even. Its like they have come for the main event and that's what matters.
Just one of those things i guess, and i can only comment on the Shows that i have seen. Perhaps it's a London thing. I think its very difficult for acts to support the Stones, they don't get to use that amazing sound system, or the lighting or anything else. Its a tough act to precede imho.

I am one of those with zero interest in any support band. It's impossible to concentrate on anything other than the prospect of Keith striding out onto the stage from the shadows and delivering that opening riff cool smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 6, 2017 01:22

New Barbarians are the support act for Hamburg.
jeroen

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: September 6, 2017 01:27

slewan
hockenheim95

maybe he read that it is not allowed to bring food into the venue and now he feels that nobody will throw tomatos at him this time…?

Maffay? Rubbish. Never ever again.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 6, 2017 01:48

Tonstone

The reason?
Well, they are doing 14 shows on this treck and that seems to be an 'upper limit' these days.
As a contrast, John Mayall, 80 plus years old is doing around 36 venues later this year. Of course, he's a bit more sedentary (on stage) than Sir Mick.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 6, 2017 01:50

It's a Stones show. Warmup acts are merely a means of delay until the main event. Unless I have to be there, I have no interest in a warm-up act at a Stones show, even where it might be something I might want to see some other time..

That said, St. Paul and the Broken Bones were a nice surprise in Buffalo two years ago.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: September 6, 2017 01:58

They had the greatest ever solo artist precede them at desert trip last year.

Nate

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: September 6, 2017 02:07

I think the Stones wait to see how initial ticket sales go before deciding how much to invest in an opening act. Some shows need a stronger draw, some don't.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2017 04:09

Cant announce em ... haven't got the mics set-up yet....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 6, 2017 06:04

They played I think five or six nights in L.A. in 1989 at the massive Coliseum. They needed Guns and Roses to fill seats for that many shows. Maybe they don't need opening acts any more. They certainly treat them badly. The sound is about half what it is for the Stones. Who knows, maybe they don't want to pay a cent more than they have to these days. They're trying to scoop up all they can.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 6, 2017 12:00

I may actually see a support act this year,but only because of the GA set up.Last 2 support acts I saw were The Kooks and Primal Scream. Both had a go at insulting the "too comfortable" audience......they can F**K OFF.

sc uk

Date: September 6, 2017 12:03

24FPS
They played I think five or six nights in L.A. in 1989 at the massive Coliseum. They needed Guns and Roses to fill seats for that many shows. Maybe they don't need opening acts any more. They certainly treat them badly. The sound is about half what it is for the Stones. Who knows, maybe they don't want to pay a cent more than they have to these days. They're trying to scoop up all they can.

On the Euro 2014-tour, Big Bang rocked the house and killed it before the Stones went on. The only thing they weren't allowed was using the entire stage. The sound was excellent.

I'm pretty sure Outkast did all right in Roskilde as well. I missed their show, though.

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: September 6, 2017 13:19

Los Zigarros vwry good spanish band, Young and very Stoner!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 13:28 by kaskatanas.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 6, 2017 14:12

We’re happy to announce the support acts that will be joining us in Europe on the No Filter Tour!
[www.facebook.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 6, 2017 14:42

Rival Sons, wow.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: September 6, 2017 15:09

Lucky Arnhem - Leon Bridges is a fantastic young talent of the Sam Cooke, Otis Redding school of soul. His album Coming Home is great. I saw him in Boston. CAge the Elephant also becoming a big act in their own right nowadays.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: September 6, 2017 15:15

DEmerson
Lucky Arnhem - Leon Bridges is a fantastic young talent of the Sam Cooke, Otis Redding school of soul. His album Coming Home is great.

thumbs up

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 6, 2017 17:43

My friend is very happy to see Rival Sons, The Struts and Cage The Elephant on that list. As for me, I remind him of when I saw Kanye West open for the Stones. I'm not sure why they thought that was a good idea. I actually love his music nowadays, but back then it was very strange. It doesn't draw in a young audience at all, or didn't, and to everyone else it was just annoying and noise. I'm not sure what end result they expected there.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home