Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chicago Review... a Classic Memorable Performance... Guitars on Fire
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 11, 2005 09:09

If you've ever been to a Bruce Springsteen concert you know the feeling... you're spent, totally exhausted, and need a shower...

Well that's how about 60,000 Chicago fans looked after tonites gig.

Somewhat different than the typical post-stones "whoo - whoo" high energy buzz... THIS CROWD WAS DRAINED !! With good reason...

It wasn't perhaps song-for-song the best gig I've ever attended, but the highs were so &^%$# high that they truly make this one of the best Stones shows I've ever seen.

It started out just a little on the "average" side, but about 6 songs into it you knew this was gonna be a special show.

THE VERY HIGH POINTS:

1) YGMR... for all you YGMR haters out there, eat your hearts out because when this song is on, it's a rocker and you know it... The perfect 2nd song in the list for Ronnie to serve notice he intended to play tonite... just screamin' on the slider.

2) Ruby Tuesday... really perked up the crowd interest, nicely done sing-along and got everybody into it.

3) Bitch... coming after a fair "Shattered" was just a blistering plu-perfect rendition of this Sticky Fingers classic. Heard it before nowhere near as interesting as it was tonite. They really put the power into it, one of the most memorable songs of the evening. Coming at song #8, this really turned the whole gig up a notch

4) Night Time... just a great song, perhaps not as memorable as the performance 2 nites ago in Milwaukee with Buddy Guy, but what ever could match that ? This was the next best thing. When Lisa slithered out on stage, well, you know...

5) ONNYA... on the B-stage. Truly every song after #12 Miss You was a show-stopper, they just had the fortune of being in a rotation with a bunch of other show-stoppers. ONNYA was particularly interesting, again for the guitar intensity this evening. Ronnie just "clanged" on this one. 2nd time I've seen it, liked it both times & by far my fave off the new album

6) SATISFACTION... Without any doubt the very best rendition I've ever heard of this major rocker. Anyone still in their seats were "bolted upwards" at the first chords. About 2/3 of the way thru I tapped the concert-veteran to my left and said "that's pure Keith Richard", and it was... if Night Time was the best song in Milwaukee, up to this point Satisfaction was clearly the best tonite...

7) Out of Control... pleasant down-shift in tempo after a very serviceable Honky Tonk Women... Mick's harmonica on this number really added another edge to tonite's diamond.

8) Jumpin' Jack Flash (right after a fine Sympathy)... I would have said that Satisfaction was the best song tonite until the band launched into the stadium version of JJF. Forget about it... Did you catch Ronnie on guitar ? Keith on guitar ? And not to be outdone, Darryl on bass... Darryll was poundin' the bass so hard he spun around like a top. I think the 3 guitarists realized they'd just played this song as well as they ever had.

9) It's Only Rock n' Roll. After Ronnie creamed YCAGWYW, the band launched the final encore with IORR, and what an encore. When you've just played the best version of Satisfaction and JJF of your life, the encore might be a bit of a downer, but not here. Keith just drilled this song every which way. Perfect.

A sidenote re: Mick Jagger. No question he's in better form this tour than any I've seen since and including Voodoo Lounge. Mick's tremendous performance tonite in Chicago proves his also-great work in Milwaukee was no fluke.

Last but not least, the great Chicago crowds... you can travel all around the world but you'll never be closer to "Stones Country" than Soldier Field...

ALSO VERY NICE: Versions of She's So Cold, Miss You, Honky Tonk Women, Sympathy for the Devil, Brown Sugar, and You Can't Always Get What You Want... but tonite Satisfaction, Jumpin' Jack Flash, and Bitch were the showpieces.

NOT SO INTERESTING: Still see little value in either The Worst and especially Infamy. Maybe one, but together they just really slow things down. Keith could easily work Happy or You Got the Silver, or Before they Make Me Run in here. Rough Justice is just passable, I don't see this having much shelf-life as a live song unless they alter the arrangement somehow.

NOTE: Somehow Tumblin' Dice just doesn't work early in the Setlist. In both Milwaukee and tonite in Chicago they played this 4th song. IMO this classic concert tune belongs IN THE 2nd HALF, after the crowd is sufficiently "stoned"... then hit them with it. Consistently one of my very favorite live songs, but 2 shows running they just play it too soon.

Started a bit predictably, not every song a gem, but given the highs overall a solid A and truly one of the best Stones gigs I've ever seen.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-11 19:24 by CreedenceLives.

Re: Chicago Review... a Classic Memorable Performance... Guitars on Fire
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 11, 2005 09:26

Right on Creedence...too tired to write more now but they cooked. GUITARS, GUITARS, GUITARS!

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 11, 2005 09:28

Nice review Creedence, wish I could have been there. So how was Buddy Guy onstage with The Stones?

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: September 11, 2005 09:37

Buddy was rumored to make an appearance in Chicago but did not. He was very "present" in Milwaukee, especially when he joined the Stones onstage for an unforgettable rendition of "Night Time"... just knocked it way out of the arena.

Milwaukee review is below:

[iorr.org]

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 11, 2005 11:17

Nice review, smartly putting songs in perpective (order of playing).

I do not understand the word "show-stopper". Does it mean it is a killer song, or it is bad? Reading what you said on Miss You, it looks it is the first option.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 11, 2005 11:29

Thanks CreedenceLives ... I had the shimmy shakes just readin ya words!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 11, 2005 15:59

Nice review, indeed

"Still see little value in either The Worst and especially Infamy. Maybe one, but together they just really slow things down."
Good observation, CreedenceLives. "You Got the Silver" would be a perfect choice...

Date: September 11, 2005 19:16

The Joker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice review, smartly putting songs in perpective
> (order of playing).
>
> I do not understand the word "show-stopper". Does
> it mean it is a killer song, or it is bad? Reading
> what you said on Miss You, it looks it is the
> first option.

Yes, in my venacular "show-stopper" means "killer song played very well".

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: September 11, 2005 19:53

I attended the show last night at Soldier Field, and I must say it was pretty damned good. What surprised me more than anything was the energy level. Everybody was into it and having a lot of fun (even Charlie!). What was perhaps most surprising was Ronnie and Keith. They played very well and Keith in particular was on fire much of the night with his signature hooks and power riffs. Ronnie was also on fire, especially in the beginning, but his guitar seemed a bit buried during the second half of the set. Mick was great like usual. All in all, the show was a pleasant surprise. My only complaint was the set list. Way too much of the old warhorses and very little from the pre-68 era (only Satisfaction and Ruby Tuesday).

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 11, 2005 20:13

I think the return of focus on the core Stones, & improved utilization of the 'backing' musicians - as opposed to over-reliance on Leavell & the horns - is the best news of this tour. I think this results in more space (especially for KR/RW) & greater energy level overall. Great & encouraging review! Must say tho, a re-arranged The Worst was nicely done at the shows I saw - Bernard's vocal & Tim Ries' brief solo contributed to a version that works way better than I would have expected in a stadium.

Posted by: Steel_Wheels ()
Date: September 11, 2005 20:16

I too was at the show and agree with the Creedence post. Keith and Ronnie were really driving the second half of the show. Very nice playing. Mick had exceptional energy (even by his lofty standards) and was really getting the crowd off. As for the set list, it was warhorse heavy, but there was so much energy in the show last night, and both the band and crowd were so into it, I could have cared less. Absolutely stunning performance by the boys. Also, I couldn’t have picked better weather for a concert than what we had last night. Perfect.

Date: September 11, 2005 20:47

Thanks for all these great reviews. I'm sure we missed a great show there. Damn - can't wait to see them later on the tour....

Posted by: davido ()
Date: September 11, 2005 21:05

Sounds like the energy flow
we got at the Phoenix! Thanks
for the review!

Posted by: Kid ()
Date: September 12, 2005 00:23

Hi I`m new here,I was there last night at Soldier Field and it was smokin,Creedence is right on.Satisfaction was great,as was JJF,but I thought Out of Control was one of the best I`ve heard,and I was never crazy about the song.

The boys were in top form,that`s for sure.The best band on the planet.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 12, 2005 00:35

Kid, welcome aboard, glad to hear OOC was great - it was a song that was fantstic for me in Boston, and it's nice to have late-period Stones material go over well w/ stadium audiences. I think that's one song that has evolved live, & could have been a minute or two longer on the "Bridges" album (a nice, haunting intro a la the 12 minute 'Papa Was a Rolling Stone' comes to mind!)

Posted by: Angela ()
Date: September 12, 2005 01:58

This has been my sixth Stones concert and did anyone think last night's show at Soldier Field was just average? Sound was not good and disappointed at the encore choices. Interesting that Mick did not want to share the 'spotlight' with other members.

Date: September 12, 2005 03:13

Angela Wrote:
> This has been my sixth Stones concert and did
> anyone think last night's show at Soldier Field
> was just average? Sound was not good and
> disappointed at the encore choices. Interesting
> that Mick did not want to share the 'spotlight'
> with other members.
>
>

Hey Angela... well there are reviews of all sorts on the Shidoobee board, glowing and not-so-glowing...

You might be interested in these opinions:

[p081.ezboard.com]

Posted by: stonesmachine ()
Date: September 12, 2005 16:17

I also thought the sound was very sub par. Micks mic would be crystal clear for a bit and than get muddy. It was like that all night

Date: September 13, 2005 02:25

Stonesmachine,

Thanks for the link. What else made you think 'sub par?

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: September 13, 2005 03:11

I had 4th row tickets in Chicago in section a1 (far right side of stage) With my binoculars, I could read the set list next to Charlie's drums while they were finalizing the set up for the Stones. I too have been disappointed at the setlists and was pretty annoyed that there were no new surprises in Chicago as I read the list before they came on.

Then the show started, and the disappointment went right out the window. Their committment to putting on a great show is stronger then ever, and while I wouldn't have thought I would have enjoyed a warhorse heavy set, godammit it was right up there with the Aragon on the last tour as a highlight of about 9 concerts of seeing them live since '89. They are truly enjoying themselves. A personal highlight for me - hearing Jumping Jack Flash for the upteenth time live and watching Keith say "come on @#$%&" as he just got lost in the moment. Here's a song that before the show I would have honestly said I could do without and it's a frickin' highlight. Sure Sway and some other rarities would have been cool, but they absolutely blew Soldier Field away. And frankly, while I'm sure they'll mix it up a little when they come back to the United Center in January, I'd happily see the same show again

Date: September 13, 2005 03:21

What did you think of the encores?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 13, 2005 03:53

nice review Creedence. but I will defend the hatred for YGMR - even the best version of a shitty song does not make for a pleasant experience. I will go to my shows fully prepared to take a piss during YGMR - even if I don't have to go.

Date: September 13, 2005 04:14

Angela Wrote:
> What did you think of the encores?

Yo Angela... I thought You Can't Always Get What You Want was an "average" rendition...

Actually, honestly, I thought it maybe slightly under par but still very enjoyable... about the same as it was in Milwaukee...

I got a rant about BOTH YCAGWYW and Tumblin' Dice... they're playin' FINE they just gotta get the arrangement right ont these...

Anyway, YCAGWYW was solid, somewhere around average...

But IORR was just way over the top of the stadium, IMO. Loved it... towards the end it was like Keith was by himself at the edge of the stage just drillin' this song... beautiful ending.

Date: September 13, 2005 04:20

I agree, but I would like to see something different.

Of course you read the reviews in the Tribune & Sun Times. Quite surprised at Kot's review. I thought he would have been tough on them, the Sun Times review was more realistic.

Thanks.

Date: September 13, 2005 04:22

I like what they're doing with IORR in the encore spot - the song is extended to around 7:00 now - and about half of it is KR riffing on every CB lick he can muster up. The song has been a waste of space over the years - most people agree with that. Somewhere along the way the Stones decided it was a fast CB rocker and most of us didn't like that "interpretation." But, having recovered from that as a "given" now - and the fact that they are apparently dead-set on never doing another Berry in concert - at least we get the riffs-o'-plenty courtesy of Mr. Richards....

Posted by: Steel_Wheels ()
Date: September 13, 2005 05:41

I agree. IORR has gotten new legs now that it is wrapping up the show. The crowd is now brought into this song more than I have ever seen/heard before. IORR anywhere else in the set is something I could do without, now at the end it makes for a very, very good big venue rocker / closer. Now if they could only do something to shake up the top of the set a bit. The SMU / YGMR / RJ / TD / SSC starting combo just isn't providing that opening punch that I think we are looking for. Those songs seem to wash each other out in a way, just becoming one long, not particularly interesting, blur. I always like hearing TD, but it has just lost some of it's swagger given it's placement, and other songs around it, this tour. For me, the Chicago concert really got going with RT and absolutely took off from there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-13 16:47 by Steel_Wheels.

Date: September 13, 2005 07:02

Steel_Wheels Wrote:
The SMU / YGMR / RJ / TD / SSC
> starting combo just isn't providing that opening
> punch that I think we are looking for. Those songs
> seem to wash each other out in a way, just
> becoming one long, not particularly interesting,
> blur. For me, the Chicago concert really got going
> with RT and absolutely took off from there.

I have a similar rant, specifically about Tumbling Dice (see thread)... just doesn't overwhelm early in the setlist...

As for Chicago, Ruby Tuesday definitely kicked things up, as did Bitch... from there the concert soared.

Might be a good idea to rotate Bitch into the list EARLIER, as it works as an "early song" real well and gets a major jazzy/rockin' groove goin... perhaps make it the first song when the horns and backups take the stage, instead of Tumblin' Dice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-13 07:04 by CreedenceLives.

Date: September 13, 2005 08:17

as for TD - I have no problem with it early in the set. The early part of the set is weak enough with RJ and YGMR (and sometimes Shattered). TD is always a highlight for me - can't have it too early. It was #2 in 94/95 and it worked wonderfully there.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 13, 2005 10:02

Really exhausting review, CreedenceLives! Thanx 1,000,000....
- Now I figure if I can afford to see ´em
2-3 times instead of just one, summer of 2006. Maybe Wembley.
As a hopeless Keith-fan I wouldnt like too see neither Worst nor Infamy either...
Thing probably is TPIE is too emotional, topo close, and thus too tough to put live vocals in.

Before They Make Me Run, ´Appy, T&A, and some reggaecover
plus occasionally to co-sing the vocals in MM/GS would dpo good for
ol´ Keef, dont you think!

Date: September 13, 2005 10:11

Yo Babboon:

Below is link to a "concert energy forecast" that I prepared back before the tour started. Scroll through it about halfway for most of the 2006 dates.

Based on what we're seeing so far, you can probably add 2 or max 3 days to these forecasts. So if it says "peaking June 18th", you might expect an awesome show out to about the 20th or 21st during that upcycle.

Here's the energy forecast.....Cheers!

[iorr.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home