Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Milwaukee Review... Great Omen for Chicago... What's Ronnie Smokin ?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 9, 2005 10:56

Just got back to Chicago from the Milwaukee Concert...

First, I've just gotten over a "triple crash" in my biorhythms... extremely low energy, not ebullient emotionally, etc... so bear in mind this review is from someone who wasn't himself particularly on fire tonite.

Buddy Guy's opening was better tonite than at the U.C. during the Licks tour, IMO. Stronger and louder band. That said he's a fair but not great opener.

The very strong highlights of this concert:

1) The crowd... the usually subdued Milwaukee audience was pretty much bonkers from start to finish. All but the back end / higher level of the arena was on their feet throughout. Beautiful crowd energy at a high level even by the already high standards of crowd energy at Stones gigs.

2) Every bandmember was loose, in great spirits apparently, animated... EXACTLY the form you'd want if you were looking forward to seeing them in Chicago on Saturday (which I am)... I'm pretty confident in saying that a GREAT BAND is heading to Chicago. This is exactly in line with my earlier forecast of the band's bio-energy levels being high for Milwaukee... they were and the band was!

3) Strongest songs: Tumbling Dice was a good rendition. Waiting on a Friend is a FABULOUS live song. Unfortunately rarely played. They only played it once during the 40 Licks Tour, fortunately I saw that one too at the U.C.... equally good tonight and very poignant with the New Orleans references. Oh No Not You Again from the b-stage was quite rousing and I thought clearly the best of the 3 new songs played tonite. You Got Me Rocking from the b-stage was PERFECTION... the right song at the right time, just pushed the "rockin' attitude" of the crowd up another notch. On my notes I also have 2 stars by Honky Tonk Women though at this point I can't remember it being that great, perhaps it was. Brown Sugar was a near-perfect delivery, just smokin...

So much for all the "anti YGMR" posters who were "attending by setlist"... even the most strongly jaundiced against this song must admit that when it's on, it's ON AND IT WAS ON !! When played right it has this characteristic of just "raising the rock level" and that's the exact effect this evening.

BUT NO DOUBT the absolute highlight of this show was the stupendous rendition of Night Time... the Stones were joined onstage by Buddy Guy, and Lisa just blew her throat out on it... you could almost say it alone was worth the price of my ticket anyway (95) ... truly one of the greatest songs I've ever seen the Stones do live.... and if Buddy warms 'em up in Chicago we might see it again on Saturday !!

It would be so incredible to see this performance on Sept. 10th MTV because Buddy's from Louisiana!

4) Lower points: really didn't care for either of Keiths songs (The Worst and Infamy)... I can't imagine Infamy having a very long stay on the setlist.

Wasn't real impressed by Rough Justice live, either, the sound came across as very "combined", not sufficient differentiation of the various instruments... noisy without much distinction.

The "moving stage" was kind of ponderous. The bad news is that it takes almost an entire song to get out there and really doesn't add anything to the song. It's a slow contraption for a high-energy band, I'd prefer they just walk out on the b-stage and hit it. The good news is that the b-stage is probably double the size of the previous ones so the guys have more room to manuever.

5) Special note... give me some of whatever Ronnie had in his pipe this evening. The guy was animated to the nines... horsing around with the audience and all the other bandmates... really cool playin' alongside Bobby Keys, from memory on Brown Sugar.... Jagger was in near-perfect form. Honestly I'd say he looks in better shape than any of the shows I caught for Voodoo Lounge, B2B, no Security & 40Licks... the overall spirit of the band is a great omen for Soldier Field: Chicago Look Out !!

I asked a few folks in the streaming crowd where they'd rate it. One lady with her daughter kind of summed up how I think alot of people felt: "... I just can't believe Mick for his age... I score it a 9..."

Personally, overall I'd give this concert somewhat around a "B", probably would have enjoyed it alot more if my own spirits were higher. I thought the majority of the songs were delivered well, perhaps with not as many "high points" as at some other shows I can think of.

This being the first show I've seen them since the 40L tour, it really makes you look back and appreciate what a masterpiece 40 Licks was.... maybe the greatest tour by any band ever, time will tell.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-09 12:42 by CreedenceLives.

Re: Milwaukee Review... Great Omen for Chicago... What's Ronnie Smokin ?
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 9, 2005 11:25

Creedence,

I just got back from Milwaukee and saw St. Paul on Tuesday. St. Paul was great but Milwaukee was even greater! I agree that Night Time was a highlight and what about All Down The Line???? It sounded more fierce than on Exile! And Mick almost took a fall but regained and did some of the best moves I've ever seen him do during Ronnie'solo. Too excited to keep writing...

Re: Milwaukee Review... Great Omen for Chicago... What's Ronnie Smokin ?
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 9, 2005 11:30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1362
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home