Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT NHL Finals
Posted by: mulecrowe ()
Date: June 13, 2017 02:36

Back to back baby!Sid and the
kids do it again. Go Pens!

Re: OT NHL Finals
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 13, 2017 03:50

Congrats to the Penguins. Even though Nashville beat my Hawks in the first round I had mixed feelings about them. I like the underdog role they had but I seriously can't stand PK Subban! It's not a racial thing either, if he was white and had that showboat attitude I wouldn't like him either. I think trading him to Nashville from Montreal for Shea Weber was a good trade for both teams.
Nashville's chances took a bit hit when Ryan Johanson was out with an injury.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: June 13, 2017 04:38

mulecrowe
Back to back baby!Sid and the
kids do it again. Go Pens!

Its "Sid the Kid" not Sid and the kids.....geeeeez

Posted by: mulecrowe ()
Date: June 13, 2017 10:39

The young players Crosby plays with are referred to as the kids.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 13, 2017 10:52

I was disappointed when Ottawa didn't make it. They need to give Coach Don Cherry a Canadian team to get excited about. He's getting up their in age. We get Canadian coverage in Seattle & I always go to Coaches Corner during the first break. Must see TV. Imagine Charles Barkley as a crusty, elderly Canadian man & you get the picture. Highlight during the Cup this year: them showing old footage of a commericial Coach did with his beloved dog Blue. Coach got teary eyed during that.

Date: June 13, 2017 18:40

mulecrowe

I live outside Pittsburgh. Not true.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 13, 2017 19:25

Cooltoplady
mulecrowe

I know how to run a google search. True.

Google Search for 'sid and the kids' Results

Article: The Evolution of 'Sid and the Kids'

Article from NHL.com:'Sid and the kids' set the tone

Even the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette ran the post Game 5 Headline: "Predators no match for Sid & The Kids in Game 5"

Although I can't find any references to Penguins management, coaches or players using the phrase, it does seem that a fairly wide range of journalists/media have used it to describe Crosby and his line-mates.

It's always kind of interesting when these "media nicknames" come into play, to see how the fans react. I know when I first heard the "Happy Idiots" nickname applied to the Boston Red Sox (from 1000 miles away) I was not at all happy about it... Until I talked to my Mom and she told me that it was coined by one of the players (Johnny Damon) and was embraced by the team and local fans. Needless to say, I changed my tune quickly!

Back to the subject at hand...
Congratulations to the Penguins and their fans... I'll admit that this was a hard one for me to pick who to root for due to being just down the road from Nashville... Even here in Knoxville, the city set up huge video screens for people to watch the game in a public area downtown... Hockey fever in Tennessee was apparently real. I was probably rooting more for Nashville than Pittsburgh but, having been a life long Steelers fan and having vivid memories of watching the '91 finals from Italy rooting for the Penguins (Tom Barasso went to my high school) I am still happy for the fans of Pittsburgh. Had Pittsburgh been playing anyone other than Nashville, I'm sure I would have been rooting for them 100%

Cheers to Pittsburgh and their fans everywhere smileys with beer no matter how the feel about "Sid & the kids"!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 13, 2017 20:43

mr_dja
Cooltoplady
mulecrowe

Even the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette ran the post Game 5 Headline: "Predators no match for Sid & The Kids in Game 5"

Although I can't find any references to Penguins management, coaches or players using the phrase, it does seem that a fairly wide range of journalists/media have used it to describe Crosby and his line-mates.

It's always kind of interesting when these "media nicknames" come into play, to see how the fans react. I know when I first heard the "Happy Idiots" nickname applied to the Boston Red Sox (from 1000 miles away) I was not at all happy about it... Until I talked to my Mom and she told me that it was coined by one of the players (Johnny Damon) and was embraced by the team and local fans. Needless to say, I changed my tune quickly!

Congratulations to the Penguins and their fans... I'll admit that this was a hard one for me to pick who to root for due to being just down the road from Nashville... Even here in Knoxville, the city set up huge video screens for people to watch the game in a public area downtown... Hockey fever in Tennessee was apparently real. I was probably rooting more for Nashville than Pittsburgh but, having been a life long Steelers fan and having vivid memories of watching the '91 finals from Italy rooting for the Penguins (Tom Barasso went to my high school) I am still happy for the fans of Pittsburgh. Had Pittsburgh been playing anyone other than Nashville, I'm sure I would have been rooting for them 100%

Cheers to Pittsburgh and their fans everywhere smileys with beer no matter how the feel about "Sid & the kids"!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Thats media crap. If you are from Pittsburgh you wouldn't be caught dead using a tacky term like that.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 13, 2017 20:54

I wonder how much longer he can be called Sid The Kid? Great nickname when he's in his early/mid 20's but now he's pushing 30!
It was great to see all the support in Nashville, with the country stars singing the national anthem.

Hey CR, I heard that there's talk of Seattle getting a new arena which would be for hockey/basketball. It would be a great, natural rivalry with Vancouver if Seattle and Portland could get NHL teams, similar now to the MLS soccer rivalry among the 3 cities.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 13, 2017 21:53

Cooltoplady
mr_dja
Cooltoplady
mulecrowe

Peace,
Mr DJA

Thats media crap. If you are from Pittsburgh you wouldn't be caught dead using a tacky term like that.

So the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette isn't from Pittsburgh? Interesting. From what I can tell it seems to be the largest paper in the metropolitan area.

Note: At this point I'm just messing with you... Your "wouldn't get caught dead" comment sounds like something a true and loyal fan would say and you would have my admiration if that's a category you would fit in. If you noticed in my original reply, as a fan, I'm in agreement with you in the dislike of a "media created catch-phrase" regarding my teams as well... At least until the point I find out it's accepted and endorsed by the players.

As I'm obviously not an everyday Penguins fan, based on your first reply on the topic, am I safe in assuming that at one point Crosby was regularly referred to as "Sid the Kid" and the "Sid and the Kids" is therefore most-likely a media modification of that for an older Crosby and his young line-mates?

Hope y'all are enjoying the Cup celebrations! smileys with beer Here's hoping that your city will be celebrating a Super Bowl victory apx. 8 months from now as I've been a Steelers fan since I was a little boy!

peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 14, 2017 03:36

DGA35
I wonder how much longer he can be called Sid The Kid? Great nickname when he's in his early/mid 20's but now he's pushing 30!
It was great to see all the support in Nashville, with the country stars singing the national anthem.

Hey CR, I heard that there's talk of Seattle getting a new arena which would be for hockey/basketball. It would be a great, natural rivalry with Vancouver if Seattle and Portland could get NHL teams, similar now to the MLS soccer rivalry among the 3 cities.

They are fighting about it now. It is an insane situation. The big money went down to refurbish the Key Arena, which is over 50 years old & already had major work that wasn't good enough for the NBA or not enough extortion involved. 1 of the players in the refurb is Irving Azoff (Eagles manager). He is going to fleece the city if it goes though. In addition, the Key is in 1 of the most horribly congested areas in the city for traffic with very little parking. Right at ground zero for Amazon land. In the meantime, there is a billionaire local hedge fund guy who wants to build a brand new state of the art arena in the area with the baseball & football stadiums. Plenty of parking, traffic not horrible. Build it & give it to the city. He already has bought all the property needed on spec. It is typical Seattle. Lot of corruption & idiocy involved. I'm guessing 10-20 years before it gets done. Pretty sure I'm not going to live to see it. The hedge fund guy is essentially ready to break ground immediately. Its really unbelievable.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 14, 2017 03:40

Can't really compare eras, just gotta say The Warriors and Lebron are in the GOAT discussions.

Enjoy em while they're here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home