Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Black and Blue - If Only
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: June 9, 2017 07:37

If Black and Blue included "Slave" and "Worried About You"...man...the ranking of that album would be a totally different story in the Stones world.

For the Stones to play an unreleased "Worried About You" at El Mocambo in 1977 clearly says they made a mistake not including it on Black and Blue.

It probably would have been too much for a vinyl LP at the time...but when they
went to CD's...they should have included those tracks as that is where they belong...not on Tattoo You...but not much belongs on Tattoo You other than
Neighbors and Ain't No Use In Crying if I got my facts straight.

Pecman

Re: Black and Blue - If Only
Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 9, 2017 08:31

Pecman
If Black and Blue included "Slave" and "Worried About You"...man...the ranking of that album would be a totally different story in the Stones world.

For the Stones to play an unreleased "Worried About You" at El Mocambo in 1977 clearly says they made a mistake not including it on Black and Blue.

went to CD's...they should have included those tracks as that is where they belong...not on Tattoo You...but not much belongs on Tattoo You other than

Pecman

No, B&B would still be the seventies Satanics IMO – a few gems of low caratage (Memory Motel, HoF) but the rest (Hot Stuff, Sherry, Melanie etc.) belongs in a big ol’ seventies incinerator. No doubt Slave could’ve been huge if Keith had come up with that riff a half a dozen or so years earlier when Jagger still cared about writing good lyrics. Worried About You is better than Fool To Cry (I suppose) but it’s no album saver.

As long as we’re engaging in this pointless ‘if only’ nonsense (yet again), I say they should’ve released Tattoo You in place of Black and Blue back in 76 or 77 and then they could’ve waited until 1979 to release Some Girls and then of course Emotional Rescue would’ve come out in 81. And what if instead of releasing an album of new disappointments they sprang Black and Blue on us next month to our utter astonishment? (I hate to be a prophet of doom and gloom but mining the vault is the only chance they have of producing an album that fans will think worthy of the band’s name - unless Mick has been secretly creating millions of Jann Wenner clones for the last decade.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-09 08:40 by Swayed1967.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 9, 2017 08:57

yup...I'll give you that. B&B just feels thin in terms of 'amount' of music offered in the same way Voodoo Lounge, Bridges and ABB feel bloated.

If you could cram those two songs on B&B could have made for a killer album, save Cherry Oh Baby. (there you go, delete that and maybe you have enough room with some resequencing?!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 9, 2017 10:10

I don't like Fool to Cry...or Cherry Oh Baby...not too fond of Melody either.
Chop them out and add Slave and Worried About You fine - but then Tattoo You wouldn't have two of it's better tunes....it's a conundrum...best to leave well enough alone.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 9, 2017 10:20

The change from needing 40 or 45 minutes worth of music for an LP to needing an hour's worth for a CD has a lot to answer for in many an artists catalogue if you ask me.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 9, 2017 10:22

Yeah Spud that's right on ..... remember those early
Al Green albums they only ran for about 15 mins per-side .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 9, 2017 10:23

Black and Blue deluxe 40th anniversary should have come out last year....but I loved it when it came out and still do.

Date: June 9, 2017 10:25

Spud
The change from needing 40 or 45 minutes worth of music for an LP to needing an hour's worth for a CD has a lot to answer for in many an artists catalogue if you ask me.

Yep, and BAB is a full album, time-wise.

I like it as it is. Undeveloped takes of WAY and Slave wouldn't necessarily have improved it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 9, 2017 10:25

YEAH Black and Blue .... Great album for livin' and lovin ' ..... XFX

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: June 9, 2017 10:54

I think that slave and worried about you are more suited to Tattoo You

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 9, 2017 10:55

...And steal the Stones away from an entire new generation, that needed to believe they could be as great as they always were? Leave those tracks for Tattoo You.

No, Black and Blue was what it was, uneven because they were in transition, trying to work out how the front line was going to pan out.

Why should Black and Blue be so special? It was all about cocaine at the time, lack of focus, like that awful tour they'd just done, Mick just shouting and hoarse.

At least with Tattoo You you can say they had 20 great creative years.

Date: June 9, 2017 11:00

Let's not forget that some of the fresh stuff on TY was great, too smiling smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 9, 2017 11:34

Putting "Slave" and "Worried About You" on B&B would harm Tattoo You, so, no, they should be right where they are.
And after reading in another thread a vile attack on "Feel On Baby", I now have to suffer reading a similarly outrageous attack on the much appreciated "Melody" (or Melanie (?) according to some), which might be the only reason to even listen to B&B (oh well, and of course "Hand of Fate", because that riff is kinda cool).

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 9, 2017 12:32

No need to change one tiny bit (nor huge lumps, for that matter...) to those two albums, imo.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: June 9, 2017 12:40

Pecman
...but not much belongs on Tattoo You other than

Pecman

Both Neighbors and No Use In Crying are Emotional Rescue-leftovers (same as Little T&A and Heaven). There weren't any band-sessions for Tattoo You (in 1980). That's an urban legend.

N

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 9, 2017 13:50

Black And Blue could make a great deluxe edition album. If they can return to song demos from Exile and clean them up afterwards they could certainly do the same with the some of the Munich tracks they recorded.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: June 9, 2017 14:09

Hairball
Chop them out and add Slave and Worried About You fine - but then Tattoo You wouldn't have two of it's better tunes....it's a conundrum...best to leave well enough alone.

You could always replace those tracks on Tattoo You with some of the better tracks on the Some Girls bonus disc.

Date: June 9, 2017 14:39

Silver Dagger
Black And Blue could make a great deluxe edition album. If they can return to song demos from Exile and clean them up afterwards they could certainly do the same with the some of the Munich tracks they recorded.

Yes, Black & Blue would make a perfect anchor for an encompassing 70's Deluxe album. All the pre-Pathe Marconi outtakes ancored around one album.

I do want to say that IMOputting "Slave" on Black & Blue would have been a little weird because the riff is so similar to "Hey Negrita". First time I heard "Slave" it was instantly what popped in my mind.

Date: June 9, 2017 14:43

Palace Revolution 2000
Silver Dagger

Yes, Black & Blue would make a perfect anchor for an encompassing 70's Deluxe album. All the pre-Pathe Marconi outtakes ancored around one album.

I do want to say that IMOputting "Slave" on Black & Blue would have been a little weird because the riff is so similar to "Hey Negrita". First time I heard "Slave" it was instantly what popped in my mind.

Wow, I never thought of that, but you're right.
I prefer the Slave groove though.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 9, 2017 14:55

Add "Slave" and "Worried".

Remove "Cherry"

Now ya have a fine album

Side 1

Slave
Crazy Mama
Fool To Cry
Hey Negrita
Worried About You

Side 2

Hot Stuff
Melody
Hand Of Fate
Memory Motel

Date: June 9, 2017 15:00

I really hope there will be an ER Deluxe release some day:

– Jah Is Not Dead
– Down In The Hole (long version)
– Dance (Part 3, instrumental)
– Bulldog (early take on Little T+A)
– Back In The USA
– I Ain't Superstitious
– Not The Way To Go
– What Gives You The Right
– Emotional Rescue (guitar version with different vocals and more backup vocals)
– Summer Romance (long version)
– Neighbours (alternate version)
– Let's Go Steady

are just some of the gems..

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 9, 2017 16:05

DandelionPowderman

– Jah Is Not Dead
– Back In The USA
– I Ain't Superstitious
– Not The Way To Go
– Emotional Rescue (guitar version with different vocals and more backup vocals)
– Let's Go Steady

That's more than I have on various boots. Where can I get these tracks Dandy?

Especially these: - – Back In The USA
– I Ain't Superstitious
– Not The Way To Go

Date: June 9, 2017 16:08

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

– Jah Is Not Dead
– Back In The USA
– I Ain't Superstitious
– Not The Way To Go
– Let's Go Steady

That's more than I have on various boots. Where can I get these tracks Dandy?

Especially these: - – Back In The USA
– I Ain't Superstitious
– Not The Way To Go

Try the «Foxes In The Boxes»-bootlegs (vol. 1-3) on YouTube.

Date: June 9, 2017 16:10

Date: June 9, 2017 16:11

Bulldog:

[www.youtube.com]

We'll continue in the ER Album talk-thread, hehe smiling smiley

Date: June 9, 2017 16:56

DandelionPowderman

[...]

Try the «Foxes In The Boxes»-bootlegs (vol. 1-3) on YouTube.

Thanks for posting! I clicked on it without looking at the setlist, and it's full of great stuff. I like the version of Where The Boys Go. But the nicest surprise was Keep It Cool, like the reacquintance of a long-lost friend. I love that jam!

Hey Stones: if any of you is reading this, and you are really gonna make a new album, ignore what everybody else says and revisit Keep It Cool!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 9, 2017 16:59

Take "Lies" off of Some Girls and add Worried, Slave, Start Me Up, and Hang Fire - that'd be a record

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: June 9, 2017 19:24

Swayed1967
Pecman

Pecman

No, B&B would still be the seventies Satanics IMO – a few gems of low caratage (Memory Motel, HoF) but the rest (Hot Stuff, Sherry, Melanie etc.) belongs in a big ol’ seventies incinerator. No doubt Slave could’ve been huge if Keith had come up with that riff a half a dozen or so years earlier when Jagger still cared about writing good lyrics. Worried About You is better than Fool To Cry (I suppose) but it’s no album saver.

As long as we’re engaging in this pointless ‘if only’ nonsense (yet again), I say they should’ve released Tattoo You in place of Black and Blue back in 76 or 77 and then they could’ve waited until 1979 to release Some Girls and then of course Emotional Rescue would’ve come out in 81. And what if instead of releasing an album of new disappointments they sprang Black and Blue on us next month to our utter astonishment? (I hate to be a prophet of doom and gloom but mining the vault is the only chance they have of producing an album that fans will think worthy of the band’s name - unless Mick has been secretly creating millions of Jann Wenner clones for the last decade.)

You are way off. Black and Blue is killer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 9, 2017 19:41

boogaloojef
Hairball

You could always replace those tracks on Tattoo You with some of the better tracks on the Some Girls bonus disc.

No I couldn't - the album as a whole is etched in stone in my brain since the day it was released, please do not alter anything about it. winking smiley
Some of those better tracks on the Some Girls bonus disc should have been used to replace some of the inferior tunes on Undercover, and if not that then for sure Dirty Work!

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: June 9, 2017 19:49

Elmo Lewis
Add "Slave" and "Worried".

Remove "Cherry"

Now ya have a fine album

Side 1

Slave
Crazy Mama
Fool To Cry
Hey Negrita
Worried About You

Side 2

Hot Stuff
Melody
Hand Of Fate
Memory Motel

I don't see Slave as a good opening track for the album though. Not the right tempo.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1946
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home