Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Dutch Stones accountant questioned under oath
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 13, 2017 15:46

to now start looking into this is even sillier than trying to look into all the US companies that avoid taxes.

because the Stones havent done anything wrong. ( have they...? )
cool smiley

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: June 13, 2017 21:22

dcba
StonedAsia
The Stones are not guilty of tax evasion. Tax avoidance, which is legal and any smart person would take full advantage of any and all laws, would apply to the Stones organization. And why not?

Tax evasion? No. Tax avoidance? Yep.

Basically you say "it's not moral but it's legal". That's the defense system of most crooks these days : "yeah what I did is shocking but it's perfectly legal...".
That's a very thin defense line in my book.

And logically you, I, gotta wonder : where is the money? Where is the Stones' money? On some offshore account "somewhere" in the Bermudas? In some opaque financial blackhole, next to Assad's or some arm dealer's "savings"?

Keef the old "pirate" should ask himself about the kind of arrangement with common decency and morality that was necessary to make him a very rich man from 1989 on.

I find all this rather nauseating. And more than the musical decline of recent years this is what drove me away from the band.

Honoré de Balzac once wrote : "behind every great fortune there is a great crime".
He would have loved the Stones...

But why would the Stones and others not take advantage of tax loopholes to keep more of their money? If it is legal why are they immoral for using this to their advantage?

I can understand people being envious of the rich having having the ability to pay less taxes due to the loopholes but why get mad at the Stones as they did not make the laws?

If you are going to get mad it should be at the rich politicians who set up these laws allowing the rich to exploit the system at the expense of us common folks who now have to take on a higher tax burden.

And with all due respect I think you are being a bit unfair comparing the Stones to some illegal Arms dealer or Assad, who most likely stole his wealth from his country, who then funnel their ill gotten gains to some secret offshore account in an attempt to hide it.

If the Stones did anything illegal then the criticism is justified if they only used the laws to their advantage where's the beef?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-13 21:28 by oldschool.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 15, 2017 15:00

dcba
StonedAsia
The Stones are not guilty of tax evasion. Tax avoidance, which is legal and any smart person would take full advantage of any and all laws, would apply to the Stones organization. And why not?

Tax evasion? No. Tax avoidance? Yep.

Basically you say "it's not moral but it's legal". That's the defense system of most crooks these days : "yeah what I did is shocking but it's perfectly legal...".
That's a very thin defense line in my book.

And logically you, I, gotta wonder : where is the money? Where is the Stones' money? On some offshore account "somewhere" in the Bermudas? In some opaque financial blackhole, next to Assad's or some arm dealer's "savings"?

Keef the old "pirate" should ask himself about the kind of arrangement with common decency and morality that was necessary to make him a very rich man from 1989 on.

I find all this rather nauseating. And more than the musical decline of recent years this is what drove me away from the band.

Honoré de Balzac once wrote : "behind every great fortune there is a great crime".
He would have loved the Stones...

Come on, dcba!
Just get yourself some facts. Why did the Beatles write "Mr. Taxman" way back in 1966? Why did the Stones move to France in 1971?
The UK tax system (still) is very, very bad for British artists! Why do they punish people who entertain people like you and me. How would you feel to have to pay way over 90% (I'm not make a joke here!) over what you earn?
Why does the British tax system charge British bands/acts for playing in a foreign European country (where they already have to pay entertainment tax)? That is what you should call "stealing"! Don't blame the Stones, just put on a CD and enjoy their music smileys with beer

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 15, 2017 20:51

Dear Lord. They're not choir boys any more. Junkies and alcoholics make arrangements with common decency and morality. Men who cheat on their spouses or partners (even if they seek to be discreet) make arrangements with common decency and morality. Men who have sex with underage groupies make arrangements with common decency and morality. Men who pay for coke and sex or relax in a sex club for inspiration make arrangements with common decency and morality. This is the same band. They're not concerned with petty morals even if they are old men. They're rock stars. The biggest in the world. It's about greed and sex and drugs. These are guys who have moved with organized crime figures when it proved useful to do so. These are guys who John Phillips, another paragon of virtue, described primarily as gangsters more than musicians. To shame them for concert prices or tax avoidance is pointless. They are capitalists. They are driven by their appetites. They are hedonists. Look at the logo. Does the lapping tongue look like its worried about common decency and morality? What do you think is glistening on those lips and that tongue? Whatever it is, it's indecent, but their point is it tasted good.

As for Keith being a pirate, do you think pirates give a damn about their fair share of taxes? The only hypocrisy I see is when they attempt well-meaning public service announcements. Rock stars in mansions with walls and bodyguards should not pretend to be the common man. The rest makes perfect sense to me. They are successful, over-achieving degenerates. That's why It's Only Rock 'n' Roll.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-15 20:55 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 15, 2017 22:56

StonedAsia
The Stones are not guilty of tax evasion. Tax avoidance, which is legal and any smart person would take full advantage of any and all laws
I think you mean any rich person. If you're working poor, which means the bottom ninety percent, you pay full taxes or else.

Say, while we're on the topic of... avoidance of civic obligation, both Mick and Keith have held U.S. citizenship for many years. How come neither have ever been summoned to report for jury duty? I get called every 3 years, for the past 30.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 16, 2017 02:53

Rocky Dijon
Dear Lord. They're not choir boys any more. Junkies and alcoholics make arrangements with common decency and morality. Men who cheat on their spouses or partners (even if they seek to be discreet) make arrangements with common decency and morality. Men who have sex with underage groupies make arrangements with common decency and morality. Men who pay for coke and sex or relax in a sex club for inspiration make arrangements with common decency and morality. This is the same band. They're not concerned with petty morals even if they are old men. They're rock stars. The biggest in the world. It's about greed and sex and drugs. These are guys who have moved with organized crime figures when it proved useful to do so. These are guys who John Phillips, another paragon of virtue, described primarily as gangsters more than musicians. To shame them for concert prices or tax avoidance is pointless. They are capitalists. They are driven by their appetites. They are hedonists. Look at the logo. Does the lapping tongue look like its worried about common decency and morality? What do you think is glistening on those lips and that tongue? Whatever it is, it's indecent, but their point is it tasted good.

As for Keith being a pirate, do you think pirates give a damn about their fair share of taxes? The only hypocrisy I see is when they attempt well-meaning public service announcements. Rock stars in mansions with walls and bodyguards should not pretend to be the common man. The rest makes perfect sense to me. They are successful, over-achieving degenerates. That's why It's Only Rock 'n' Roll.

Nice!
(writing, I meant Rocky)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-16 02:54 by 35love.

Date: June 16, 2017 03:00

georgie48
Why did the Stones move to France in 1971?
Because of Allen Klein.

Date: June 16, 2017 03:03

/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-16 03:18 by stonehearted.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: June 16, 2017 10:59

stonehearted
StonedAsia
The Stones are not guilty of tax evasion. Tax avoidance, which is legal and any smart person would take full advantage of any and all laws
I think you mean any rich person. If you're working poor, which means the bottom ninety percent, you pay full taxes or else.

Say, while we're on the topic of... avoidance of civic obligation, both Mick and Keith have held U.S. citizenship for many years. How come neither have ever been summoned to report for jury duty? I get called every 3 years, for the past 30.

Source? Never heard this. Always assumed Keith had PR but not citizenship. Having citizenship, even PR, makes one subject to the IRS on all worldwide income. I simply can't see Mick putting himself in that position!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 16, 2017 22:25

This has been a long time coming. I don't mean The Stones case specifically.
The 'arrangements' whereby rich individuals and powerful organisations can avoid paying a fair share of tax should not be acceptable in this day and age.
Most members of the Forum will probably, after Allowances be paying 33% combined insurance and tax deductions. Some even more.
It was revealed many years ago that The Stones Companies had paid around 3% per annum for the last 40 or so years.
It staggers me that a founding member of the EC (I was a 'Remainer' by the way) such as the Netherlands has allowed this situation for so long. Does it help the Dutch infrastructure? Or their Social/Care budgets?
I have slightly more sympathy with the likes of Amazon who at least provide considerable employment to many people. Mr Favie was being very economical with the truth. He should be a politician!
So Mick pays his due taxes? But on what income and where?
I can see why they were attracted to Mr Klein. He was not keen on paying tax either...or ensuring his 'clients' had money aside to pay theirs.

Date: June 16, 2017 22:54

StonedAsia
stonehearted
StonedAsia

Source? Never heard this. Always assumed Keith had PR but not citizenship. Having citizenship, even PR, makes one subject to the IRS on all worldwide income. I simply can't see Mick putting himself in that position!
Dual US/UK citizenship. There was even a thread about this on IORR a while back: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 17, 2017 05:52

Rocky, that was a great description of the Stones. Should be on their plaque at the rock and roll hall of fame.
Glad I happened to open this threat to read that. Dutch accounting didn't get my attention.
How can they stop once they start.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: June 17, 2017 06:54

Why is this such a shocking thing?

We are all Stones who follow the bands every move.

Mick Jagger invented the term "tax evasion"...and rightfully so.

As Charlie Watts pointed out...Mick is never in the same city more than 2 weeks
and is never in the same country more than 4 months a year so to avoid paying taxes and never qualifying as a sitting citizen of any country.

Some may call that a ta avoider...some may call that smart.

Here in the states...tons of companies incorporate in the state of Delaware to avoid taxes like The Stones have done to avoid taxes by incorporating in the Netherlands.

Like people have pointed out...our heroes are no saints...they've turned the tide to the point that they are respectable for not being respectable.

Pecman

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 20, 2017 16:08

Promogroup published its annual report 2015 at the Chamber of Commerce in Amsterdam.
I checked the account.
Apparently the year 2015 was not a very succesful one for Promogroup. In US dollars
they made a gross margin of $ 4.4 million, but the costs of exploitation were $ 5.6 million.
They would have had a loss of $ 1.2 million, if it weren't for interests and results
on stocks and other financial assets of $ 1.7 million.
So, their positive result was $ 0.5 million.
From this they paid $ 129.781 taxes. That is about 25 %.

So it is a kind of urban myth that The Stones don't pay taxes.
They do and the people of The Netherlands are grateful for it (at least, I am).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 20, 2017 16:55

marcovandereijk
Promogroup published its annual report 2015 at the Chamber of Commerce in Amsterdam.
I checked the account.
Apparently the year 2015 was not a very succesful one for Promogroup. In US dollars
they made a gross margin of $ 4.4 million, but the costs of exploitation were $ 5.6 million.
They would have had a loss of $ 1.2 million, if it weren't for interests and results
on stocks and other financial assets of $ 1.7 million.
So, their positive result was $ 0.5 million.
From this they paid $ 129.781 taxes. That is about 25 %.

So it is a kind of urban myth that The Stones don't pay taxes.
They do and the people of The Netherlands are grateful for it (at least, I am).

Thanx for the intel, Marco!
Obviously, the hair to split here, is "costs of exploitation"... smoking smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 20, 2017 17:40

RoughJusticeOnYa
Obviously, the hair to split here, is "costs of exploitation"...

You're right. There are no specifications in the published reports. One can not rule
out the possibility that some of these costs are benificiary to the shareholders of
Promogroup or the board of directors...

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 20, 2017 22:30

Thanks for the Accounts! (never thought I would ever say that). Just a few thoughts.
1. I've never thought of The Netherlands as a tax haven in the sense the Cayman Isles are, for example. It would not sit well with the European Community membership surely.
2. Promogroup is ONE ...there are around six other Stones related companies.......eg Promopub, Promotone. Their Accounts?
3. Are there Subsiduary companies (often used as a tax doge), also "income from foreign based enterprises" complicates the picture.
4.In 2006 the UK's Independent ( a reliable paper) quoted the Stones as paying on average 1.6% tax on earnings of £240 million (royalties, I recall).

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 20, 2017 22:53

I recommend keeping your money in or under a mattress.

"I'm going to walk before they me run."

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 20, 2017 23:09

Chris Fountain
I recommend keeping your money in or under a mattress.

"I'm going to walk before they me run."

But only if it's a waterbed... In case of a fire, the freezer is more likely to survive than the mattress... I used to love my "cold" money... Then I got married... and kids... I haven't needed a location to "stash cash" in years!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1422
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home