Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Best Engineered / Worst Engineered Stones Album - Dirty Work Excluded
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 15, 2017 16:56

I agree, B2B is definitely not on par with the best engineered 70's albums. But it has that warm sound that makes it sound quite good even on CD... Again it depends on what version you listen to. The original European CD is probably the best. The Japanese CD has a more brittle sound (which is actually more disturbing thanks anything). The 2009 remaster adds unnecessary compression and loudness.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 17, 2017 05:46

peoplewitheyes
and WTF is Mick J wearing?!

Stefano Ricci pure cashemere pajamas? eye rolling smiley

Keith however, looks born with a guitar in his hands.
And Stu is upfront and center, for a change; where he belongs smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-17 05:49 by hopkins.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 17, 2017 16:17

The best: Let it Bleed, Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers

The worst: Steels Wheels, Dirty Work , Goats Head , Got Live

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 17, 2017 16:29

Obviously, Steel Wheels gets roasted over and over again. Listen to Mixed Emotions at full blast and opinion may differ. Also, what is wrong with Rock and a Hard Place or Can't Be Seen or even Almost hear you Sigh??

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 18, 2017 02:49

Chris Fountain
Obviously, Steel Wheels gets roasted over and over again. Listen to Mixed Emotions at full blast and opinion may differ. Also, what is wrong with Rock and a Hard Place or Can't Be Seen or even Almost hear you Sigh??

RAAHP and Can't Be Seen suck. But that has nothing to do with the engineering, it has to do with the songwriting.

STEEL WHEELS sounds a bit bland. But that's not also directly because of the engineering.

This thread is misunderstood.

Date: June 18, 2017 13:50

GasLightStreet
Chris Fountain

RAAHP and Can't Be Seen suck. But that has nothing to do with the engineering, it has to do with the songwriting.

STEEL WHEELS sounds a bit bland. But that's not also directly because of the engineering.

Ok I can make the same "sorry wrong writing" argument versus BlacK and Blue , which many say is "well engineered" Fool to Cry is a joke. Also Hey Negrita

Date: June 18, 2017 15:59

Chris Fountain
GasLightStreet
Chris Fountain

Ok I can make the same "sorry wrong writing" argument versus BlacK and Blue , which many say is "well engineered" Fool to Cry is a joke. Also Hey Negrita

Well then, by all means, go ahead and make the argument, which is weak at best. A song or album may be fantastically engineered but if the song sucks, well, the engineering at least gives it a chance to sound good. With Stephen Marcussen it doesn't matter - it's going to sound like crap no matter what.

Date: June 18, 2017 16:13

GasLightStreet
Chris Fountain
GasLightStreet
Chris Fountain

Well then, by all means, go ahead and make the argument, which is weak at best. A song or album may be fantastically engineered but if the song sucks, well, the engineering at least gives it a chance to sound good. With Stephen Marcussen it doesn't matter - it's going to sound like crap no matter what.

BTW Happy Father's Day. Ok hear me out. My point is actually answered. Tattoo You is the best engineered album. Black and Blue is is crisp as well but when the only songs favored are Memory Motel and Hand of Fate classics how do you defend Melody?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 18, 2017 22:36

I think the sound on Some Girls is perfect for the time it came out, for what the band was doing. It was no frills and nothing that sounded too heavy. They did a nice job of layering the sound of the acoustic guitar in some of the songs. Miss You is one of the greatest things in the Studio they ever did and I can't imagine how changing the mixing or engineering of it would make it any better. It would only suffer IMHO.

For best engineered album I agree with the general consensus of either LIB or B&B.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-18 22:46 by ryanpow.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 19, 2017 00:31

They are probably a very difficult band for an engineer to work with. They record songs in different places, the two principals have very strong opinions about what to do, songs are recorded over months or even years. They record in dank basements and country houses.
That makes TY such an amazing project.

Date: June 19, 2017 06:20

Chris Fountain
GasLightStreet
Chris Fountain
GasLightStreet
Chris Fountain

BTW Happy Father's Day. Ok hear me out. My point is actually answered. Tattoo You is the best engineered album. Black and Blue is is crisp as well but when the only songs favored are Memory Motel and Hand of Fate classics how do you defend Melody?

I see that. Just checking.

Melody SOUNDS great. There are great SOUNDS in Melody. That's engineering - or possibly/most likely due to engineering. I'm not concerned about good/bad song - that's different.

Date: June 19, 2017 08:42

The guitar and piano sounds on Melody are excellently recorded.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 19, 2017 08:58

stonehearted
treaclefingers
ER is one of the best 'sounding'...not sure I understand what is supposed to make it 'worst'? It sounds better than Some Girls.
You were 15 then.

treaclefingers
Steel Wheels does suck.
You were 24 then.

true...but i was 13 for SG

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 19, 2017 09:54

treaclefingers
stonehearted
treaclefingers
ER is one of the best 'sounding'...not sure I understand what is supposed to make it 'worst'? It sounds better than Some Girls.
You were 15 then.

treaclefingers
Steel Wheels does suck.
You were 24 then.

I was minus 3.5 months for Aftermath -- the younger I get, the better they sound.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 28, 2017 06:07

stonehearted
treaclefingers
stonehearted
treaclefingers
You were 15 then.

treaclefingers
Steel Wheels does suck.
You were 24 then.

I was minus 3.5 months for Aftermath -- the younger I get, the better they sound.

You really missed out then...I was 14 months. I sucked my thumb to "Under My Thumb".

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 28, 2017 08:02

Hold on here. My first copy of IORR was 8-track and it sounded wonderful (same with Let It Bleed). When the tape ran out of gas, I got the vinyl and wondered, what happened here? I put it down to too much info on each side.
On a side note, I don't think anyone sounds good when recorded on digital.
Call me old-fashioned or old, I don't care. I put on a old 45 on Satisfaction the other day, and it sounded brilliant, better than any CD remix.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 28, 2017 08:18

YEAH dem-dare 8 tracks use ta sound great .... they sure had bottom end

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 28, 2017 08:26

Rockman
YEAH dem-dare 8 tracks use ta sound great .... they sure had bottom end

Don't know if you're taking piss or not, but they had a bit more high-end and a little more punch and Judy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 28, 2017 08:27

No tom I'm fair dinkum ...they use ta sound great ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2131
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home