Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: (sorta) "The twenty greatest albums of 1967"
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 4, 2017 21:18

"The twenty greatest albums of 1967"

A half century ago; fair to say pretty much a consensus on it being a landmark year in popular music and culture in general, even outside the entertainment business...?
...lists are lists and always prone to disagreement and further enlightenment as a matter of mathematical certainty...
...but a crucial and important year for me; going fromm 15 to 16 half way thru...
...seeing in person some of the most legendary greats from that year, in some cases many times; pretty much living for, and out of, my record and tape collection...
...listening to pop songs (rock, r&b, soul) as if they were the news, only more important and true somehow...
...certain records and artist debuts that year still are important to me and still seem fresh & powerful.
this looks like a fun list; I bought 14 or so of them on arrival that year; and was pretty familiar with most of the others; I don't think any one year is necessarily THE more 'important' one; when I think of '56, '61-'69 actually....and what The Stones did all thru the golden period and before (and here and there after)...
...a few of these hold up extraordinarily well for me...a few are outright timeless classics imo...

[www.independent.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-04 21:40 by hopkins.

Re: OT: (sorta) "The twenty greatest albums of 1967"
Date: June 4, 2017 21:24

well they are obviously missing one:

1. "Let's Spend the Night Together" 3:38
2. "Yesterday's Papers" 2:01
3. "Ruby Tuesday" 3:16
4. "Connection" 2:08
5. "She Smiled Sweetly" 2:44
6. "Cool, Calm & Collected" 4:17
Side Two:
7. "All Sold Out" 2:17
8. "My Obsession" 3:20
9. "Who's Been Sleeping Here?" 3:55
10. "Complicated" 3:15
11. "Miss Amanda Jones" 2:48
12. "Something Happened to Me Yesterday"

Actually they are obviously missing TWO, if you were to ask me:

1. "Sing This All Together" 3:46
2. "Citadel" 2:50
3. "In Another Land" 3:15
4. "2000 Man" 3:07
5. "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)" 8:33

Side Two:
6. "She's a Rainbow" 4:35
7. "The Lantern" 4:24
8. "Gomper" 5:08
9. "2000 Light Years from Home" 4:45
10. "On with the Show"

smiling smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 4, 2017 21:44

hopkins
well they are obviously missing one:

1. "Let's Spend the Night Together" 3:38
2. "Yesterday's Papers" 2:01
3. "Ruby Tuesday" 3:16
4. "Connection" 2:08
5. "She Smiled Sweetly" 2:44
6. "Cool, Calm & Collected" 4:17
Side Two:
7. "All Sold Out" 2:17
8. "My Obsession" 3:20
9. "Who's Been Sleeping Here?" 3:55
10. "Complicated" 3:15
11. "Miss Amanda Jones" 2:48
12. "Something Happened to Me Yesterday"

Actually they are obviously missing TWO, if you were to ask me:

1. "Sing This All Together" 3:46
2. "Citadel" 2:50
3. "In Another Land" 3:15
4. "2000 Man" 3:07
5. "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)" 8:33

Side Two:
6. "She's a Rainbow" 4:35
7. "The Lantern" 4:24
8. "Gomper" 5:08
9. "2000 Light Years from Home" 4:45
10. "On with the Show"

smiling smiley

Actually, they're missing three (yes, it's a compilation but it's a great one and with great "new" tracks). smiling smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 4, 2017 23:02

To be honest; from an outside, non-Stones-geek view, I don't think Between the Buttons, Satanic or Flowers belong on that list. They're not in the same league as Axis Bold As Love, Sgt Pepper, Disraeli Gears, Pink Floyd's debut or Velvet Underground & Nico in terms of artistic quality and influence on music and popular culture. Exile and Beggars Banquet, yes, but not the Stones albums of 1967 in my opinion. That said, I love listening to them every second year or so. winking smiley

Date: June 4, 2017 23:13

tend to agree but honestly i could pick say 8 if got to choose from buttons and satanic majesties...of really super, and for me even groudbreaking really brilliant stuff from those...haha i know it's way cheating...eye popping smiley ...but honestly song by song some of those are truly great and worth standing by imo...of course it's not that easy to dislodge debuts from The Doors, Velvets, Jimi and actually a lot of others...but sitll i whine...but still ...
winking smiley what about
2000 man, citadel, rainbow and light years?
or say
tuesday, night together, connection, miss amanda jones, all sold out, my obsesion"?
haha i know i'm the semi-rare buttons apologist yawning smiley

LieB you are too correcto i reluctantly but cheerfully admit...some of these songs and performances are key major wonderful and deserving tracks, even classic ones tho imo...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 4, 2017 23:25

Dumb list that is missing:

-Vanilla Fudge
-Strange Days
-Days Of Future Passed
-Their Satanic Majesties Request
-Between The Buttons

Not to mention:
-Headquarters and More Of The Monkees
-The Grateful Dead's first album
-Magical Mystery Tour
-Mr. Fantasy
-After Bathing At Baxter's

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: June 5, 2017 02:38

The fact that Sgt Pepper was #2 on the list means it's not a very accurate list.w While I love the Stones, I agree that neither 67 Stones release should go higher than many on the list but I would say that if We Love You /Dandelion was on TSMR then it would have to be in the top 20.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 5, 2017 19:09

sgt pepper was overrated, like a lot of beatles stuff, they made great music but also so much drivel, most groups drivel is counted as drivel, not the beatles.

TSMR and buttons have many good songs on them and are both underrated albums.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 5, 2017 19:20

bigmac7895
The fact that Sgt Pepper was #2 on the list means it's not a very accurate list.w While I love the Stones, I agree that neither 67 Stones release should go higher than many on the list but I would say that if We Love You /Dandelion was on TSMR then it would have to be in the top 20.

I disagree. I dont think anything the Stones did in 1967 belongs on that list despite some good songs. You cannot compare their output to Velvet, Doors, Beatles Hendrix, Dylan etc in 1967. The Stones sucked in comparison.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 5, 2017 19:47

hopkins
"The twenty greatest albums of 1967"

A half century ago; fair to say pretty much a consensus on it being a landmark year in popular music and culture in general, even outside the entertainment business...?
...lists are lists and always prone to disagreement and further enlightenment as a matter of mathematical certainty...
...but a crucial and important year for me; going fromm 15 to 16 half way thru...
...seeing in person some of the most legendary greats from that year, in some cases many times; pretty much living for, and out of, my record and tape collection...
...listening to pop songs (rock, r&b, soul) as if they were the news, only more important and true somehow...
...certain records and artist debuts that year still are important to me and still seem fresh & powerful.
this looks like a fun list; I bought 14 or so of them on arrival that year; and was pretty familiar with most of the others; I don't think any one year is necessarily THE more 'important' one; when I think of '56, '61-'69 actually....and what The Stones did all thru the golden period and before (and here and there after)...
...a few of these hold up extraordinarily well for me...a few are outright timeless classics imo...

[www.independent.co.uk]

That's a killer list of records!

I might have replaced the Tim Hardin, Love, and Gene Clark albums with James Brown's Cold Sweat, the Beach Boys' Smiley Smile, and I Was Made to Love Her by Stevie Wonder ... but it's a fine list and it's fantastic to see The Four Tops and Albert King get some love.

I don't know about Between the Buttons and TSMR. I probably would have left them off ... but there are reasonable arguments for including one or both of them. I would have exempted Flowers as a compilation.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: June 6, 2017 04:16

When I say top 20 (with addition of We Love You and Dandelion), I mean like #20. Sgt Pepper overrated? Please....need to listen to it all the way through a couple of times with the remastered release to understand how great an LP was.

While I can agree that the other releases mentioned (Hendrix, Doors, etc) deserve to be on there and higher on the list than TSMR- I still find that I listen to 1967 Stones more than those other releases that made the top 20.

Child of the Moon should have been on there also!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 6, 2017 04:39

We can quibble (mine -- where is the Beach Boys "Wild Honey?") but this is a pretty savvy list. Love that they include Alpert King and Gene Clark. And I can't argue with "Velvet Underground and Nico" and "Forever Changes" in 2 of of the top 3 spots. Interesting though that in 1967 nobody owned them!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home