Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

It's Only Rock 'N Roll: Inside Atlantic Records in the '70s by former label President Jerry Greenberg with Chris Epting
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 20, 2017 00:34

That's the title of a new book I'm currently in the middle of writing.

So I learned something today, something that has always puzzled me.

If you're familiar with the Dick Cavett interview backstage in 72, which I'm sure many of you are, you know how he references walking on the beach with Jagger a few days earlier?

So here's what I think happened. According to Jerry, Jagger let it be known that right after the Pittsburgh show, he wanted a day of rest and relaxation out on the Hamptons at Ahmet Ertegun's place. So... Jerry is tasked with flying the Atlantic private jet to Pittsburgh. He collects Jagger and they ride to the airport, hop the plane and land out on Long Island. Jagger sleeps the entire way; even in the car to the airport.They reach the Hamptons, Jagger is picked up by Ahmet, Jerry rents a car home to Connecticut. Bianca is already there. And Cavett is staying out there, too.

It's the little things, folks smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-20 00:36 by hbwriter.

Re: It's Only Rock 'N Roll: Inside Atlantic Records in the '70s by former label President Jerry Greenberg with Chris Epting
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 20, 2017 01:05

Did Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis have a home in the area?

Re: It's Only Rock 'N Roll: Inside Atlantic Records in the '70s by former label President Jerry Greenberg with Chris Epting
Date: May 20, 2017 02:28

she did- east hampton

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 20, 2017 03:09

Great. So Keith goes back to his room after the show ready to write some songs and Mick is gone sucking up to the jet set.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Great detail. Look forward to the book.
Seriously, it interests me that Jagger got so many rich people to do things like that for him. And second, that he found it enjoyable.

Date: May 20, 2017 04:45

It sounds more like Mick was exhausted, and needed to get out of the eye of the storm for a minute and recoup.

Date: May 20, 2017 04:53

Palace Revolution 2000
It sounds more like Mick was exhausted, and needed to get out of the eye of the storm for a minute and recoup.

exactly - thats how Jerry described it- he needed a recharge to make sure the big finish came off right in NYC. He trusted Jerry simplicity and so they had a lot of moments like this. There was hands on - and then there was Jagger- Jerry describes many calls during the day to discuss everything from action on the charts to album cover art.

Also

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-20 04:54 by hbwriter.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 20, 2017 05:06

Please let us know when you are finished.smiling smiley

Date: May 20, 2017 07:13

Ok- go to 20:46 - seen that '72 footage before?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 20, 2017 07:28

Jerry was a friend of my dad's and I produced a soundtrack on his WTG label. He's a good guy.

Date: May 20, 2017 11:55

hbwriter

[www.youtube.com]

From L&G?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 20, 2017 16:34

DandelionPowderman
hbwriter

[www.youtube.com]

From L&G?

'All Down The Line' ?
Yes please. Looks like the best live version, ever.
Let us know when the book comes out :-)

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 20, 2017 18:12

DandelionPowderman
hbwriter

[www.youtube.com]

From L&G?

No.

Date: May 20, 2017 21:38

Not L&G- it's a unique stage angle- the clothes match up to several cities including san diego and houston

Date: May 21, 2017 02:56

TeddyB1018
Jerry was a friend of my dad's and I produced a soundtrack on his WTG label. He's a good guy.
small world!

Date: June 5, 2017 04:08

hbwriter

[www.youtube.com]

That is that version! I have been trying to find that one for a while. Saw it back a time, the whole song, and can't remember where, but always thought it was a killer version.

Edit I am talking about the video footage here that is good. Its pretty obvious it is the studio version. The footage I saw ran a god bit longer though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-09 03:30 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 5, 2017 05:40

Very exiciting footage and a great angle! Sounds great too...but i did notice a lot of female harmony vocals...and that's not the way it was on that tour at all was it?
Hopefully the basic stuff is actually the live show? and the bg vokes sweetening things up post production. Color me a little perplexed on this one.

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: June 5, 2017 06:45

Sounds like the studio version interspersed with live video footage.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 6, 2017 02:29

It is the studio version audio wise

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1475
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home