Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Still Life Album
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 5, 2017 19:09

LongBeachArena72
It's so difficult to make definitive statements about the quality or "worth" of a particular piece of music, especially a contemporary one. You have to fight through your own perspective—which is always limiting—and attempt to apply an "objective" standard, outside of time, to what you're listening to. It's nearly impossible ... in fact, it may be impossible.

In 1981 the Stones were almost two decades into their careers. A teenager buying Still Life the day it came out would have been roughly chronologically equivalent to me buying Dean Martin Sings in 1970. Why would any teenager buy a new record by a band that started up nearly two decades before? But rock music proved to be remarkably. a-historically resilient, and has only (relatively) recently (since the rise of hip-hop) been made to sound ancient ... so that teenager in 1981 could certainly have been excused for thinking the Stones at least sounded kind of modern.

I think historically Rock and Roll had much more staying power than some of the old fart crooners did (no offense to Dean and the rest). Those "oldies" still had their fans after many years - my mom was one of them - but generally speaking that type of music quickly became obsolete with the onslaught of rock and roll. As you said Rock music had more resiliency and staying power for many years, but seems it's quickly being marginalized by the younger generation as some sort of odd antiquated form of music (if it hasn't already). When you have superheroes like Bieber, Rhianna, Timberlake, Drake, etc., Rock and Roll does indeed sound ancient. I almost feel like my mom must have felt back then listening to Dean Martin and Perry Como. It's the younger generations loss if you ask me, but my mom used to tell me the same thing.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 5, 2017 19:17

stone4ever
The thing to note is that for a teenager in the early 80's with no prior knowledge or footage of the Stones playing live with Taylor in the band, this was unbelievable. All we had in the UK was Punk Rock, Glam Rock , every kind of rock but real Rock. The Stones still represented raw unpolished raunchy Rock.
This remember was before iorr or youtube, we couldn't get access to seeing the Stones in their prime. We were too young to have seen them play in the 70's so the release of Still Life and LSTNT Video was like finding God haha
Man most of us hated contemporary music of the day, we called it chart music and it had nothing to do with real music lovers. Its the same today i suspect.

Yeah, I think that's been true since time immemorial! It's always about ferreting out something secret that only you and your buddies discover, something that speaks to you on a level unreachable through whatever is popular at the moment. In my day, why would we even think of wasting our time on a 'charting' record like Goats Head Soup when we could revel in the postmodern angst of Roxy Music's For Your Pleasure? A few years later, what possible interest could Some Girls hold, when compared to the vitality and innovation in more obscure (at the time) records like More Songs About Buildings and Food?

Ultimately, we all have our own tastes, and each of us in his or her own generation finds the way that makes aesthetic sense. The unique thing about most pop is that almost by definition it is "of its time," and so almost instantly sounds dated. Rock as a musical idiom lasted longer at the top than virtually any other form in the 20th century ... and so it was possible to discover bands years, or even decades after their debut and not feel like you were listening to your grandma's music.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: June 5, 2017 19:27

stone4ever
I know its not the Stones at their best musically but Still Life gave me more pleasure than any album ever. The atmosphere of it more than makes up for any weaknesses in the guitar or vocal department.

The video release Lets Spend The Night Together was just incredible for me at the time, i kept renting it out from the video store, i just couldn't get enough of seeing these legends up close. Finally when the video went out on release and i had it at home to play when i wanted to was the greatest feeling.

You see this is what a lot of Stones fans that are older than me don't understand. When they have this attitude that since Mick Taylor left its all been down hill. Well it just doesn't feel that way when you are 18 years old and you see this band playing live in 81'. I'd never seen anything like Mick and Keith in my life before. They were larger than life in 81' 82' they were beyond words and they made such an impression and influence that changed peoples lives for the better ( or not if you copy Keith to the extent i did lol )
I lived and breathed this band because of Still Life and the video release of LSTNT, and of course albums like Rolled Gold and Tattoo You that came out just prior to Still Life.
I couldn't agree more. In fact you took the words right out of my mouth, except it was 82 when i first saw them and I was 17. The excitement when I heard the opening riff from UMT - it was so different to the studio version. So much raunchier and livelier!

Saw LSTNT at the cinema then bought the video as soon as I could, along with Rewind video. Watched them both til the tapes wore out.

I was just so obsessed by The Stones at that age. Exploring their back catalogue and then getting a few bootlegs and rarities. Getting a massive tongue sewn on to the back of my denim jacket....ah, great memories.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 5, 2017 19:46

Just another point , Start Me Up was a major hit when i was a teenager, it was played all the time at youth centers and discos , these guys looked old to us but in a cool way. The image of Keith the heroin survivor just added to the fascination.
One of the reasons the Stones have been so successful as a live act is because Keith was expected to die, it was always going to be the last time we get to see him and the Stones with him. When i got my tickets in 1990 or 95' or 98' and so on, it was always a surprise that Keith lived long enough to play the show.
Now we just expect him to go on forever.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 5, 2017 20:02

HonkyTonkJan
stone4ever
I know its not the Stones at their best musically but Still Life gave me more pleasure than any album ever. The atmosphere of it more than makes up for any weaknesses in the guitar or vocal department.

The video release Lets Spend The Night Together was just incredible for me at the time, i kept renting it out from the video store, i just couldn't get enough of seeing these legends up close. Finally when the video went out on release and i had it at home to play when i wanted to was the greatest feeling.

You see this is what a lot of Stones fans that are older than me don't understand. When they have this attitude that since Mick Taylor left its all been down hill. Well it just doesn't feel that way when you are 18 years old and you see this band playing live in 81'. I'd never seen anything like Mick and Keith in my life before. They were larger than life in 81' 82' they were beyond words and they made such an impression and influence that changed peoples lives for the better ( or not if you copy Keith to the extent i did lol )
I lived and breathed this band because of Still Life and the video release of LSTNT, and of course albums like Rolled Gold and Tattoo You that came out just prior to Still Life.
I couldn't agree more. In fact you took the words right out of my mouth, except it was 82 when i first saw them and I was 17. The excitement when I heard the opening riff from UMT - it was so different to the studio version. So much raunchier and livelier!

Saw LSTNT at the cinema then bought the video as soon as I could, along with Rewind video. Watched them both til the tapes wore out.

I was just so obsessed by The Stones at that age. Exploring their back catalogue and then getting a few bootlegs and rarities. Getting a massive tongue sewn on to the back of my denim jacket....ah, great memories.

OMG yeah i remember that one, exactly the same with me,( Keith saying the reason they called it Some Girls was because he forgot all their @#$%& names.) Video's like Rewind etc were the reasons guys from our time became obsessed with these bad boys. The Stones were not moronic retards like Sid Vicious, the Stones were a thinking mans band with a heart.

My only prior knowledge of the Stones was my dad's old 45's, he had Satisfaction, Spider To The Fly , Get Off Of My Cloud and The Singer And Not The Song . I was subconsciously into the Stones from the age of three.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-05 20:06 by stone4ever.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 6, 2017 01:53

some great stuff but not one of my favorite live albums

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-06 06:35 by hopkins.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 8, 2017 05:11

boogaloojef
Still Life is one of their weakest live albums unfortunately. I was disappointed when I bought it and never listen to it these says. There are much better live choices by the Stones to choose from now.

Put it into perspective among the official live albums (pre-Vaults/live album for every tour) and it ranks rather high:

1. GYYYO!
2. NO SECURITY
3. STILL LIFE
4. LOVE YOU LIVE
5. FLASHPOINT
6. GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT
7. SHINE A LIGHT

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 8, 2017 09:53

Still Life was great when it came out...and OK whilst ever remained the only officially released documemt of the 81/82 tours .

The rather less sanitised Leeds From The Vaults release now seves as a better testament to my ears.

It's rather the same story with Stripped and Totally Stripped .

[Though I'd like to see a more representative Vaults release from the VL stadium tour hit the shelves too ]

Live
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 8, 2017 12:58

Horrible live album.
The duo of opening tracks, UMT and LSTNT are legendary.
TIOMS is a great version too.
The rest sounds like they couldn't care less and besides this, they play way too sloppy.

My ranking of the Stones live albums:

1. GYYYO!
2. Stripped
3. Totally Stripped
4. Brussels Affair
5. LA 1975
6. Marquee 1971
7. Love You Live
8. Tokyo 1990
9. Charlie Is My Darling
10. Got Live If You Want It! EP
11. Light The Fuse
12. No Security
13. Flashpoint
14. Hampton 1981
15. Leeds 1982
16. Still Life
17. Shine A Light
18. Checkerboard Lounge
19. Got Live If You Want It! LP

Where Ladies And Gents Will rank, I don't know yet.

Re: Live
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 8, 2017 15:00

Blueranger
Horrible live album.
The rest sounds like they couldn't care less and besides this, they play way too sloppy.

Well, that´s the 81/82 sound...

Shattered???
Imagination?
20 Flight Rock?

All fantastic versions. Unfortunately they shortened the Dec. 19th version
of Imagination. It´s 10 minutes of pure magic. Best ever.

Date: June 8, 2017 15:05

TooTough
Blueranger
Horrible live album.

Shattered???
Imagination?
20 Flight Rock?

+1

Going To A Go Go and Let Me Go are fantastic as well. Sloppy? Nope, well-played, extremely well-played.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 8, 2017 16:47

DandelionPowderman
TooTough
Blueranger
Horrible live album.

Shattered???
Imagination?
20 Flight Rock?

+1

Going To A Go Go and Let Me Go are fantastic as well. Sloppy? Nope, well-played, extremely well-played.

+1 grinning smiley

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 8, 2017 21:04

TooTough
Blueranger
Horrible live album.

Shattered???
Imagination?
20 Flight Rock?

Yes, that's the 1981/82 sound and it stinks.
They played very bad on that tour, totally lacking in focus and timing.
Gimme 1978 anyday...

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 9, 2017 05:27

TooTough

Btw: This is the picture...the coolest pic of Keith...ever.
Anyone knows where it was taken?

My best guess is Hartford. Keith was wearing that bracelet when he was in the New York City area. Very rarely worn in concert. I can't find an image that has Keith wearing that shirt and the bracelet.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 9, 2017 05:29

TooTough

Shattered???
Imagination?
20 Flight Rock?

The Tempe AZ uncut Imagination is the best!

[www.discogs.com]

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1158
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home