Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A quick run-through on classic RS bass guitar parts that are BILL's, please!!
Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: September 8, 2005 15:20

Smokey says:

>>KR plays the bass on the studio recording.<< (of Live With Me)

It seems that each time I marvel over one bass part or another from the past catalogue, I learn that it's never Bill Wyman himself who plays it!... And I keep reading how great he was a player... Was he really that much of a contribution to the sound, let's say as of the psychedelic era onwards? Did he started having conflicts with Jagger-Richards over song or performance credits, so he more or less withdrew from bringing input to the band's records, as of around that time?

Re: A quick run-through on classic RS bass guitar parts that are BILL's, please!!
Date: September 8, 2005 15:22

think he just wasn't lucky enough to be there sometimes.

Re: A quick run-through on classic RS bass guitar parts that are BILL's, please!!
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 8, 2005 16:12

"think he just wasn't lucky enough to be there sometimes."

Yep. I think he lost his patience to wait for the rest (Keith) to arrive when The Stones started to spend some bigger time (that is: to live) in the studio (from psycho era on). Bill seems to be a man of order and strict timing, and Keith not so much... And later when he wasn't around, it was Keith or Taylor or Ronnie who were doing his job. Bill seemed not willing to accept the lifestyle of Keith to be the working schedule of The Stones - and so he was left 'out' many times (when the creative spark hit the main artist). Throughout the seventies 'straight' Bill and 'junkie' Keith didn't seem to be in good terms at all. And is no wonder.

But still the live stuff is the evidence of greatness and uniqueness of Bill; 1978 Tour was Bill's swang song.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-08 16:18 by Doxa.

Date: September 8, 2005 16:24

When I put on the Hampton 81-DVD Bill's bass playing always gives me goosebumps...

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: September 8, 2005 16:34

Maybe Bill didn't play on some studio versions but man could he play live!
Listen to handsome girls, he really plays great with a lot of swing. I love When the Whip comes down from cd1. Listen to the second verse, Bill gives so much swing to this song.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 8, 2005 20:54

I think it's more of a case that Stones recording sessions go on so long that he probably missed a couple, as well as the fact that they record quite a few numbers that he probably didn't mind missing a couple.
Some situations, like Sympathy, you watch Keith playing bass because they're still developing the song. Probably a similar situation with Live With Me and even Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: September 8, 2005 21:40

Anytime Bill played Miss You either on the record or live he was amazing.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 8, 2005 21:50

Hope to meet the man in mid-October, so I have to be careful
with what I´m saying. Fresh plans are made by me & my radio station
to do something on Wyman when he enters the subarctic country Sweden
from the north (or, sooner; east). I´ll tell you here if the ideas will
be reality.,, I have a slight conflict with my 'real' work which demands
my presence the next day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2178
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home