Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Charlie Watts interview - The Times, May 5
Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: May 5, 2017 14:55

Great article..Thanx for posting...I've listened to the new cd several times already...good Charlie stuff...

Re: Stones Back In The Studio
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 5, 2017 15:11

mailexile67
"Hit a wall" what a great title for a new album!

thumbs up
I like 'Mow the Lawn' too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-05 15:13 by KRiffhard.

Date: May 5, 2017 15:17

KRiffhard
mailexile67
"Hit a wall" what a great title for a new album!

thumbs up
I like 'Mow the Lawn' too!

«Hit The Lawn» or «Mow The Wall» are good, too winking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 5, 2017 16:10

he he... Charlie always says variations on just about the same thing..

what, after all these years, would we expect..?

his basic comment is "if you ask me, and I don't really want to talk, but I can if I have to, it's all bloody silly, but I do it because I like playing drums and I don't play at my house. Jazz is what I listen to, and love, but once I learned to love the backbeat of rock and roll, I can play that and make a good living, and play jazz on the side."

I love the man and his style. so glad he's stayed so true all these years, and that he is healthy.

Posted by: RedRedRobin ()
Date: May 5, 2017 16:50

Cristiano Radtke
35love
Cristiano Radtke
35love
Fantastic article, loved it!
And am going to buy his jazz CD!
Somehow it slipped by me (has 3 RS songs, very cool)
I heart Charlie Watt.

Edit- not so easy to obtain a purchase of this music - no CD? Is it for sale?
LOL Charlie RS admin asked you if you marketed this! Where is it man? LOL.

You can find it on Amazon US or Amazon UK, among other shops.

Not so! MP3 only version, or join Amazon stream music service.
And the title's not so catchy.
Hmm maybe the brilliance is in having to hunt for it...

I believe I pasted the wrong link. grinning smiley

[www.amazon.com]

Cristiano, you are a gentleman. Thanks for posting the correct link.

-Robin smoking smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 5, 2017 20:00

Good interview, but basically reinforces what we already know.
I can't help thinking there is more to this great man than what he reveals.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 5, 2017 20:17

Charlie and The Show-Offs!

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 6, 2017 02:29

Hairball
Keep the faith Ian! thumbs up

Ha... Indeed I am.

I hope this pays off... In actuality I truly think it was time they take their time with an album ... with no definable deadline for them. This means when they get it done it's done... no imminent tour was pressing this release as it had in albums of the past.

This time it seems they are / have worked on it in spurts... segments.. and waited to see what is the best possible way to get the most out of the product / material ...is what it appears thus far. They really gave it time to settle in and they are taking their time with it.

That is a sign they seriously want this album to be something 'significant'... as opposed to it simply to it being just another good / great Stones album as we have been issued over the past 20-30 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-06 02:31 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 6, 2017 02:58

Be fair, though. They're very old men no matter how great of shape they may be in. The days of laboring in the studio all day, five days a week are long gone. They don't want that pace and can't keep up with that pace. It isn't reasonable. I very much expect the end result will be an album much like what we've come to expect. That's fine. I want one more. I always want one more. The reality is, it takes a lot longer to deliver that past 70 than it did previously. Be grateful for what we have and set your expectations accordingly.

Date: May 6, 2017 04:35

Rocky Dijon
Be fair, though. They're very old men no matter how great of shape they may be in. The days of laboring in the studio all day, five days a week are long gone. They don't want that pace and can't keep up with that pace. It isn't reasonable. I very much expect the end result will be an album much like what we've come to expect. That's fine. I want one more. I always want one more. The reality is, it takes a lot longer to deliver that past 70 than it did previously. Be grateful for what we have and set your expectations accordingly.

Well ... Not exactly 100% true... In December of 2015 they did 12 hour days. I think they didn't want to and cannot do it for more than a few weeks at a time now is all ...

My guess is that after three weeks or so ... they need a short breather (a week or so off) now-a-days. Before... they could do that for a few months at a time.

They still can do a week or two ...or perhaps three in the studio with some long days here and there IMO. I just dont think they could do it for a few months as they did in the past.

However!! That may be a good thing.. or at least right now that might spawn something different or even better at this stage.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 6, 2017 05:22

IanBillen
Rocky Dijon

Well ... Not exactly 100% true... In December of 2015 they did 12 hour days. I think they didn't want to and cannot do it for more than a few weeks at a time now is all ...

My guess is that after three weeks or so ... they need a short breather (a week or so off) now-a-days. Before... they could do that for a few months at a time.

They still can do a week or two ...or perhaps three in the studio with some long days here and there IMO. I just dont think they could do it for a few months as they did in the past.

However!! That may be a good thing.. or at least right now that might spawn something different or even better at this stage.

Not to mention the success of Blue and Lonesome which has probably added a bit more confidence in the material, a pep in their step, a reason to believe in their own worth as recording artists. Whatever 'magic' happened when recording B&L will more than likely (or hopefully) carry over to the new material in some way. At the least, there has to be a much more positive vibe when they're working together. Mick's original 40 'hit the wall' demos are probably a thing of the past, or probably narrowed down to a reasonable amount and/or re-written with all in agreement to keep moving it forward - however long it takes.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 6, 2017 07:27

Rocky Dijon

I appreciate this thank you.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 6, 2017 09:46

Rocky Dijon
Well, somebody wants to work, and it certainly isn't Charlie. He admitted in a 2012 network TV interview that if the Stones had called it a day then it wouldn't have bothered him "to be honest". I mean, he's too "hip" to be the "elder statesman of rock and roll". So, what's in it for him? It's either Mick or Keith or both, and certainly Ronnie who's always along for the ride anyway. It's Mick and/or Keith who still needs the prestige, the "legend status". I mean, Mick doesn't maintain that 28-inch waist for nothing, does he? Keith has given up on looking "1969 forever", he's even dropped the hair dye, but Mick hasn't. So maybe Mick Jagger needs the Rolling Stones more than you know.

Date: May 6, 2017 18:39

Not doubting you, Ian, but very curious where did you learn they put in 12 hour days at British Grove in December 2015?

Date: May 6, 2017 18:53

Maybe he meant one hour a day for 12 days...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 6, 2017 20:28

Lovely interview.....but no photo?
Can't quite visualise Charlie driving a sit on lawn mower (he doesn't drive a car of course).
Perhaps it was his joke.
Despite his reservations, I doubt that Charlie would want to retire completely from music unless it was for health or family reasons. He'll keep going...even if its very low profile stuff in the jazz field.

Date: May 7, 2017 02:30

Rocky Dijon
Not doubting you, Ian, but very curious where did you learn they put in 12 hour days at British Grove in December 2015?

I read it. I also read that The Stones had never cut so many tracks in a two week span .. (which Keith stated).

The Stones worked very hard in that two week stint as I understand it. I'm not saying they will put in 12 hour days every day for three weeks .. but they can still do em here and there.. they can still work 5 days a week in the studio as well. They simply chose to do it a few weeks at a time. IMO they cannot continuously (more than three weeks or more these days...they need a little couple week breather in between those segments before starting up again IMO).

Remember.. if you have ever recorded an album .. not everybody plays all day long... Some times only guitars are done .. Sometimes only vocals. Sometimes strings are worked on etc. etc...

A band like The Stones likes to play live in the studio to start the core of the track lots of times...sure....but that part is only initially. Afterward they interchange working and things are staggered as the album is built. Isn't like they all even have to be there every single day of the week (see what I mean?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-07 02:32 by IanBillen.

Date: May 7, 2017 02:44

Keith in 2002: "I didn't mind if we came out with no tracks at all, but as it turned out, we came out with 30 tracks! On our very first night in Paris we got three tracks down. Everybody went, "Yeah!" Out of the 30 songs we recorded, we mixed four or five. I daren't hardly say it, but it's probably the best Stones yet - at least for a long time."

Keith in 2012: "It was probably the quickest Rolling Stones recording session I can remember, ever. We cut two tracks in three days. It was incredibly professional. I had One More Shot ready, Mick had Doom and Gloom ready to go, so, boom, let's cut 'em."

Date: May 7, 2017 05:11

"I daren't hardly say it, but it's probably the best Stones yet - at least for a long time" - Keith 2002

eye rolling smiley

He really shouldn't have said it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 7, 2017 05:45

Hairball
"I daren't hardly say it, but it's probably the best Stones yet - at least for a long time" - Keith 2002

eye rolling smiley

"I like "Streets of Love". Very much." -Keith Richards

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-07 05:47 by Doxa.

Date: May 7, 2017 10:11

Doxa
Hairball

eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

He couldn't say: "Our new single svcks", could he? grinning smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 7, 2017 13:12

He could have said "Doom is far better"...drinking smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: May 7, 2017 13:27

powerage78
He could have said "Doom is far better"...drinking smiley

7 years before it was written?

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 7, 2017 13:42

No in 2012.

Keith in 2012: "It was probably the quickest Rolling Stones recording session I can remember, ever. We cut two tracks in three days. It was incredibly professional. I had One More Shot ready, Mick had Doom and Gloom ready to go, so, boom, let's cut 'em."

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: May 7, 2017 14:09

powerage78
No in 2012.

That's not what we discussed, but ok smiling smiley

I like both.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: May 7, 2017 18:54

Chaaawee

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Love him.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 7, 2017 19:34

Keith will say anything to hype things when a tour's coming up! His 2002 comments are probably the best example of that, although it seems they did put good stuff in the can, too bad they never released it. Probably Mick's fault for wanting "recent" material for ABB, as if it mattered vs material that's matured over the years.

As for Charlie's comments, nice but it's 'not like he said "we're finishing the album and then touring behind it in the fall" .

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 7, 2017 21:49

Charlie is still in it. Great and encouraging news!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 8, 2017 07:57

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Hairball

eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

He couldn't say: "Our new single svcks", could he? grinning smiley

Why couldn't he? He is Keith Richards after all? grinning smiley

Or couldn't he because he was there selling a product? So that's PR talk... But then again, when talking anything in public, isn't he alawys selling some product, if nothing else, but his own brand... So how we can define when he is talking bullshit and when not...?eye popping smiley Or does is it matter really...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 08:01 by Doxa.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 8, 2017 08:02

mailexile67
"Hit a wall" what a great title for a new album!smoking smileythumbs upgrinning smiley

OR, keeping faith with their apparent LOVE of BB (Beggars Banquet, Between the Buttons, Bridges to Babylon, Black and Blue, Bigger Bang) how about "Bouncing Back" (off the wall)?

Rod

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home