Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Jeff Beck not a Stone b/c "not into chaos"
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 26, 2017 06:44

Interesting...

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Re: Jeff Beck not a Stone b/c "not into chaos"
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 26, 2017 07:54

Send It To me
Interesting...

[ultimateclassicrock.com]
I love how people in the comments section keep stating that Beck blows Keith away as a lead technician, as if that isn't already obvious to the most basic music fan.

Has Keith ever claimed or attempted to be a scorching lead player? He's certainly played hundreds of solos over his career (some quite amazing), but he knows his limitations, even at his peak. He's always been about the riff and rhythm and serving the song.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 26, 2017 11:39

My very worst experience at a Stones show was Beck's guest appearance at the o2 gig. Completely ott fret wanking. He would NEVER suit the Stones ! He's not made a decent record since Ronnie was his bass player. Completely overrated IN MY OPINION ONLY

SC UK

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 26, 2017 12:07

Reports say Charlie really liked playing with Jeff & was disappointed it didn't work out. Everybody's is entitled to their own opinion but for me, Jeff is my favorite guitar player of all time. Totally changed my musical direction in life in 1976. He opened (with Jan Hammer) for Aerosmith in the Kingdome Seattle. A horrible sounding concrete dome. My 3rd concert ever. Jeff came out & said "this place sucks! welcome to the Kingdome echo chamber" & proceeded to play 1 of the most blistering sets I've ever seen. Came back out for an encore & did "Train Kepta Rollin". Aerosmith should've just stayed in the dressing room at that point. Fast forward to 1978: I'm conning my parents into letting me drive to Denver from Seattle to see the Stones @ age 17. Don't know if I would've made that leap without the transcendent Beck experience. Followed by a 25 year career in the music biz. I've seen Jeff several times & in several different settings. He is never less than amazing.

Date: April 26, 2017 12:17

Last time I saw him was in Utrecht, Holland, 2015. He said "Hi(gh)","that's the only Dutch word I know".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 26, 2017 12:35

Glad he never made it into the Stones .... never woulda worked ...

ROCKMAN

Date: April 26, 2017 12:41

Rockman
Glad he never made it into the Stones .... never woulda worked ...

Different breed. I think they respect each other a lot. There's a video of a Jeff Beck performance in New York. You can see Keith leaving after the concert. Big smile on his face.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 26, 2017 12:42

sure FlyingD... respect each other .... but it woulda never have worked

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 26, 2017 12:59

Nothing new revealed in that article .same ole same

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 26, 2017 16:16

straycatuk
My very worst experience at a Stones show was Beck's guest appearance at the o2 gig. Completely ott fret wanking. He would NEVER suit the Stones ! He's not made a decent record since Ronnie was his bass player. Completely overrated IN MY OPINION ONLY

SC UK

Well I guess that is your opinion, but in my opinion he has made some phenomenal music. Blow by Blow and Wired are classics. His latest is also pretty darn cool!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 26, 2017 16:24

Jeff Beck not a star b/c not into singers

Date: April 26, 2017 16:26

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 26, 2017 16:49

“Some people might find it hard to believe that you’d walk away from the Stones gig, but Keith and I wouldn’t have gone through an album without punching each other out anyway.”

Hahaha... good it looks like similar from 'inside' as it is from outside... Pretty difficult to think those two working together in an agreement for a long time... some matches are just not made in heaven...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 26, 2017 16:55

No Jeff would not have been a good fit for the Stones. It seems like him and Jagger are friends and enjoy working with each other. Keith and Jeff would never had lasted. They would have had a punch up.

I thought Jeff did a great job on Commit a Crime with Jagger at the White House. That was pretty cool.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 26, 2017 17:08

Seems to me that a second guitarist more or less has to be submissive to Keith. Maybe that is one of the reasons Taylor left? Wood seems to have accepted the role to be under Keith's thumb.
I couldn't imagine Beck or Clapton accepting such a role. They are to good for that.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 26, 2017 17:20

Stoneage
Seems to me that a second guitarist more or less has to be submissive to Keith. Maybe that is one of the reasons Taylor left? Wood seems to have accepted the role to be under Keith's thumb.
I couldn't imagine Beck or Clapton accepting such a role. They are to good for that.
But it's Keith's band. The musical direction is Jagger/Richards. When you join someone's band, you don't just crash in and take it over.

At any rate, both Beck and Clapton were always too restless to be in someone else's organized outfit for too long. They'd been in too many bands by that point to be tied down to the same routine for the long haul.

I would guess the main reason they were considered was because they were peers who emerged around the same time as did the Stones and had a similar success, not to mention that they were people the Stones were comfortable around and could trust. But these factors were no guarantee that it would work well musically.

You can't just throw a bunch of good musicians together and expect something to happen -- because musicians have to jell organically.

Hey -- did you know that Ginger Baker wanted to audition as Keith Moon's replacement in the Who? It would have been horrible!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 26, 2017 17:32

straycatuk

SC UK

I don't think he's overrated in terms of technical ability, but what he chooses to play - I for the most part find unbelievably BORING. Seen him twice - and had to walk out twice ! There will never be a third time, never again !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 26, 2017 18:16

Jeff Beck's guitar playing is utterly shit, in fact the noise he makes is hideous and what ever people say about technical this and that it makes no difference.
Keith plays the shapes and sounds that form the Rolling Stones music. Beck is a complete irrelevance compared to Keith. Even Ronnie has soul meaning and purpose in his playing compared to Beck.
Don't give me Beck compared to Keith, this is like comparing the Banjo with the Harp , all they have in common is a @#$%& string.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 18:22 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2017 18:29

crholmstrom
Reports say Charlie really liked playing with Jeff & was disappointed it didn't work out. Everybody's is entitled to their own opinion but for me, Jeff is my favorite guitar player of all time. Totally changed my musical direction in life in 1976. He opened (with Jan Hammer) for Aerosmith in the Kingdome Seattle. A horrible sounding concrete dome. My 3rd concert ever. Jeff came out & said "this place sucks! welcome to the Kingdome echo chamber" & proceeded to play 1 of the most blistering sets I've ever seen. Came back out for an encore & did "Train Kepta Rollin". Aerosmith should've just stayed in the dressing room at that point. Fast forward to 1978: I'm conning my parents into letting me drive to Denver from Seattle to see the Stones @ age 17. Don't know if I would've made that leap without the transcendent Beck experience. Followed by a 25 year career in the music biz. I've seen Jeff several times & in several different settings. He is never less than amazing.

thumbs up

He's my favorite guitar player after Hendrix, and I've seen him more time than I can count. Dare I say he's too good for the Stones, and his skills would have been denied within the Stones camp. As the article said, he went on to record Blow by Blow produced by George Martin - a sonic masterpiece, which was quickly followed by Wired - another masterpiece Had he been with the Stones, we would never have been gifted with his virtuosity. It worked out best for both (not as much for the Stones though)...Beck could be the master of his own destiny, and the Stones ended up with the ragtag Ronnie whose guitar 'voice' was practically anonymous and blended well within the latter day Stones context.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2017 20:05

Jeff Beck is fantastic. He's the only British guitar slinger from the 60s with his powers still intact. I've seen him with the Beach Boys and ZZ Tops within the last few years. He's still incredible, period.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 26, 2017 20:10

So this thread is about what one thinks of Jeff Beck... What I find interesting is that Jeff devides the opinions very strongly: either is simply fantastic or total crap... you either love or hate him hahaha... the guy doesn't seem to leave anyone cold - which is a sign of making a difference...

- Doxa

Date: April 26, 2017 22:20

Jeff Beck is incredible. Love him in all styles, but esp. when he is sitting there finger picking rockabilly style.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: April 26, 2017 23:10

I suspect Woody will be the new Rollin' Stone.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: April 26, 2017 23:21

Beck has always had a reputation as a bit of an awkward sod and not for a minute could i imagine Keith putting up with that for very long.And on a musical level it wouldn't fit. There is no fret wanking in The Rolling Stones unless Mick Taylor is guesting on Rambler which is far more pleasant than Beck drowning out the rest of the band on I'm Going Down. No, Jeff Beck has his qualities for sure but being a team player is not one of them.

Date: April 26, 2017 23:49

Doxa
So this thread is about what one thinks of Jeff Beck... What I find interesting is that Jeff devides the opinions very strongly: either is simply fantastic or total crap... you either love or hate him hahaha... the guy doesn't seem to leave anyone cold - which is a sign of making a difference...

- Doxa

Don't underestimate the looks which seems to be quite important for the fans in pop and rock music, on a subconscious level as well. Not so much in JazzRock and Fusion. Jeff can play all these musical genres. And because he looks like a Rolling Stone, he's both a talented musical street slut, and an expensive, pretty, and well-educated musical call girl who doesn't need a pimp. Lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-27 14:56 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 26, 2017 23:52

My favorite Rock & Roll Hall of Fame speech ever...

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: April 27, 2017 00:01

He could never have been a Stone.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 27, 2017 17:48

Jeff Beck is a great guitarist.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 27, 2017 19:21

runaway

... alas his family tree leads to deplorable guys like Satriani Vai or Malmsteen and the whole Mike Varney stable of guitar "wizards" (remember the 80's? Urgh!).
Without Beck this chapter of the history of electric guitar would have never existed.
Very technical guys but boring as hell as musicians and unable to write a song worth remembering.

i much prefer Keef and his timeless open G riffs played with 3 fingers.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 27, 2017 19:21

runaway

... who is utterly unsuitable for the Stones.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home