Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: stones are 2-0 on sammys road trip
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 25, 2017 04:39

lem motlow
Hairball
well I doubt there's many (or any) Madonna fans who read Ultimate Classic Rock so those who voted in the above poll have some rock and roll credibility.
They're the listeners and fans of classic rock - not idiotic joe blows as you claim (well maybe some of them are), but their voices matter and are valid.
Sammy Van Hagar is a decent and funny guy - I've seen a bit of his show and it's pretty good. thumbs up

all rock and roll made before 1980 is considered "classic rock" these days so reading a magazine with that name doesn't mean much.i'm sure alot of these people were sitting around listening to foreigner,boston and kansas.but you're still missing the point-he's asking the question to musicians not fans.

that clapton thing is a little strange,i'm not ready to call bullshit on it because you never know but it seems out of charactor for eric clapton.i want to see someone source it,then i'll believe it.eric is a good man,i've never seen him bash another guitar player.
after hearing starfleet,which is brian may and eddie van halen doing some amazing stuff?,i'm not buying it.
van halen has always said eric was his hero growing up so that even makes it more bizzare.again,the beatles and stones thing is about asking other players.not the fans..stay tuned.

No - I totally get the point which is the opinions of famous rock stars carry more weight than the average joe music fan for you. Don't know why whether these common fans were listening to rock music before 1980 or not would be an issue - Billy Gibbons and Mick Fleetwood were making music well before 1980 and are beyond retirement age, but whatever. And really ...Mick Fleetwood's opinion really matters that much? He's currently living on Maui running an overpriced restaurant. God bless him, but he snorted so much coke back in the day I'm surprised he has enough brains to even differentiate between anything, let alone the Beatles vs. Stones. The whole idea of this 'Sammy asking rock stars' is akin to asking a bunch of overpaid and jaded politicians who their favorite candidate is - choice A or choice B. Would you rather have more faith in them over the common people who are the ones who put them all in office in the first place? Sure some of what the politicians say might be of interest, but can they be trusted?!

But if hearing what musicians say is really that important, here's another interesting article:
While they don't pick between Beatles or Stones, here's a sampling of the heaps of praise they give to the Beatles. If forced to choose, it seems obvious what their answer would be:

11 Musicians Influenced By the Beatles

___________________________________________________________________________________

As for the Van Halen Starfleet project (thanks for the heads up Koen), here is a video of the tune - hadn't heard it since the '80s, but my earlier description of Satriani meets Vai seems accurate.
It's tough to listen to after the first minute or so, and it gets painful after the half way point, but I endured the whole thing!
(Both are great guitar players and innovators who stamped their mark on rock and roll no doubt, but this 'blues' tribute goes well beyond overkill imo)

Brian May and Eddie Van Halen BLUESBREAKER

Can't find any absolute proof of Clapton hating it, but a simple google search provided several other versions of the story.

- Eric said something on the order of..."I was almost insulted. Blues has rules." " I can appreciate the technique but who would want to play like that?"

- "While difficult to find, Star Fleet Project remains famous as the only recording to feature May and Eddie Van Halen together,
and for the instrumental homage "Bluesbreakers (for E.C.)"... which the honoree, Eric Clapton, absolutely hated".

- This near-legendary mini-album is probably infamous for the wrong reasons. Ask a friend if they’ve heard this record.
If they haven’t, they may respond, “But that’s the one with Eddie Van Halen, right? And they did that song for Clapton, and he hated it, right?”

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 25, 2017 05:38

Okay, I finally tracked down the source of that interview where Clapton comments on Eddie Van Halen's blues jam and says he can't play -- he actually said that about Brian May as well, that "...they can't play!", the blues, that is.

It's from a 1986 issue of Musician magazine:

Date: April 25, 2017 06:02

Nice find stonehearted. thumbs up

"I was almost insulted they should send this to me"

grinning smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 25, 2017 06:08

What an arrogant prick. I can ALMOST appreciate his honesty, but jeezus...talk about no class. And he was supposedly sober by this point, correct?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 25, 2017 07:00

stonehearted
Okay, I finally tracked down the source of that interview where Clapton comments on Eddie Van Halen's blues jam and says he can't play -- he actually said that about Brian May as well, that "...they can't play!", the blues, that is.

It's from a 1986 issue of Musician magazine:

Spot on, Eric.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: April 25, 2017 12:32

Hairball
lem motlow
Hairball
Nice to hear what some rock stars have to say about it, but the everyone has an opinion. *I'll go with Lemmy on this one.
But I think the general public's opinions carry some weight also, and are the reason why the Beatles will always stay at #1.

From Ultimate Classic Rock magazine - two writers take sides and give their spiel as to why one is better than the other.

The Beatles vs. the Rolling Stones – Classic Rock’s Greatest Debates

Final results:

Who's Better - the Beatles or the Rolling Stones? (Poll Closed)
The Beatles 67.08%
The Rolling Stones 32.92%

Probably every open public poll that's ever been given rates the Beatles at #1, and that's the cold hard truth of the matter for Stones fans who think otherwise.

*edit - I take sides with Lemmy only regarding his choice (Beatles), not any of the nonsensical semi-psychotic ramblings he's going on about.

but of course the beatles will win these polls,the average music fan out there is an idiot.why do you think madonna has sold more records than jimi hendrix and the Who combined?
it's about rock and roll credibility among the musicians themselves which is why sammys question is important-he's asking guys like billy gibbons and mick fleetwood not joe blow on the street.like i said,i can't wait to see more.

Well I doubt there's many (or any) Madonna fans who read Ultimate Classic Rock so those who voted in the above poll have some rock and roll credibility.
They're the listeners and fans of classic rock - not idiotic joe blows as you claim (well maybe some of them are), but their voices matter and are valid.
Sammy Van Hagar is a decent and funny guy - I've seen a bit of his show and it's pretty good. thumbs up

Beatles = classic rock ? I have all them LPs, I listened quite a lot to the Beatles over the years. But I do the same with Abba or Lady Gaga for instance. I'd call that pop music - an easy listen and wonderful music, even for little kids. But rock ?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 25, 2017 13:27

powerage78
Lemmy on The Beatles: "They were monstrous, they were perfect. Everybody thinks the Stones were the hard-men and the Beatles were the sissies -but it's really the opposite. The Beatles were from Liverpool and the Stones were from the London suburbs and going to art school, so it wasn't that way at all. The Beatles were, I always thought, the best band in the world."

________

"The Beatles had an influence on everybody. They changed the way you looked at things. You have to realize what an incredible explosion the Beatles were. You really had to be there but I will try to tell you. They were the first band to not have a lead singer in the band. They were the first band to write their own songs in Britain because we always just covered American songs before that. Everybody was singing at the same time and the harmonies were great. The Beatles really turned the whole thing on its head. Daily papers in England used to have an entire page of the paper dedicated to what the Beatles had done the day before. When George died the guards at Buckingham Palace played a medley of George’s songs during the changing of the guard; that sort of thing never happens.
The ultimate compliment and respect .So Cool !!!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 25, 2017 13:53

"I was almost insulted. Blues has rules." "I can appreciate the technique but who would want to play like that ?" Eric Clapton aka Slowhand the master of the twelve bar blues .Mr.Bluesbreakers , Mr. Cream. Mr.as in the best that ever touched a six string instrument .The living breathing son of the blues had a baby and named it rock and roll . The living breathing son of Freddie King , Albert King and the chairman of the blues Mr.Riley King -B.B.kING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 25, 2017 16:01

Hairball
As for the Van Halen Starfleet project (thanks for the heads up Koen), here is a video of the tune - hadn't heard it since the '80s, but my earlier description of Satriani meets Vai seems accurate.
It's tough to listen to after the first minute or so, and it gets painful after the half way point, but I endured the whole thing!
(Both are great guitar players and innovators who stamped their mark on rock and roll no doubt, but this 'blues' tribute goes well beyond overkill imo)

You had more stamina than I did... After about a third of the track I had about enough. It was then that I looked at the player and thought "13 MINUTES OF THI?!?!?!" I tapped out right about the halfway mark. Probably didn't help that there's a Skip James disc in the cd player on my desk. My opinion: I've got no problem with virtuoso soloists being virtuoso soloists... At least until it turns into musical self gratification. What really killed it as a track for me, was the rhythm section. I'm sure the guys were consummate pros, but they weren't blues players. As a rhythm section member myself, I kind of wonder how I might have enjoyed the track if there would have been a blues band backing them up instead of a couple of rock hired guns.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 25, 2017 16:56

mr_dja
Hairball

You had more stamina than I did... After about a third of the track I had about enough. It was then that I looked at the player and thought "13 MINUTES OF THI?!?!?!" I tapped out right about the halfway mark. Probably didn't help that there's a Skip James disc in the cd player on my desk. My opinion: I've got no problem with virtuoso soloists being virtuoso soloists... At least until it turns into musical self gratification. What really killed it as a track for me, was the rhythm section. I'm sure the guys were consummate pros, but they weren't blues players. As a rhythm section member myself, I kind of wonder how I might have enjoyed the track if there would have been a blues band backing them up instead of a couple of rock hired guns.

Peace,
Mr DJA

That's where I fell off, too. Unbearable..

Like Eric said «no dynamics».

Date: April 25, 2017 17:04

mr_dja
Hairball

Peace,
Mr DJA
What, the drummer from REO Speedwagon doesn't scream "blues purist" to you? winking smiley

Okay, I'm listening to it now...this is a pretty ridiculous 'track'. How in god's name can you wring 13 minutes out of this premise??

Date: April 25, 2017 17:11

Wow, that was excruciating. Maybe Clapton did have a point, at least in terms of blues playing.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 25, 2017 17:11

One thing to criticize the music, but Clapton insulted them personally by saying how dare they send this to me, the great bluesman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 25, 2017 17:21

lem motlow
lemmy's opinion isn't a really solid one because he hated the stones and always did.why,i have no idea but you can see the venom in his writing-"the stones were"momma's boys " a bunch of college guys" and "shit onstage".not sure what they ever did to him but i like musicians who are fans of both bands and giving their opinions here in 2017.

So, then, Lemmy saying "I did like the Stones, but they were never anywhere near the Beatles" means "he hated the Stones"?

How did you not read that part?

Date: April 25, 2017 19:36

silkcut1978
Beatles = classic rock ? I have all them LPs, I listened quite a lot to the Beatles over the years. But I do the same with Abba or Lady Gaga for instance. I'd call that pop music - an easy listen and wonderful music, even for little kids. But rock ?

It's always nice to read something humorous and satirical in the morning to lighten up the day...until you realize this guy is being serious and listens to Abba!!! eye popping smiley

smiling smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 25, 2017 19:53

last nights episode-

rick nielson,guitar player from cheap trick

S.T.O.N.E.S .....3-0

Date: April 25, 2017 20:07

Hairball
silkcut1978

It's always nice to read something humorous and satirical in the morning to lighten up the day...until you realize this guy is being serious and listens to Abba!!! eye popping smiley

smiling smiley
Since Lemmy has been discussed extensively in this thread, I would be remiss in not mentioning that he was a huge ABBA fan as well.

Date: April 25, 2017 20:21

keefriff99
Hairball
silkcut1978

smiling smiley
Since Lemmy has been discussed extensively in this thread, I would be remiss in not mentioning that he was a huge ABBA fan as well.

Deep down, probably most everyone has at least a smidgeon of like for Abba - whether they admit it or not. winking smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 25, 2017 20:25

Love the Stones
Love the Beatles
Think Motorhead sucks

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 25, 2017 20:27

Love Cheap Trick
Motorhead still sucks

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 25, 2017 20:32

with rick nielson being in the stones camp that brings it to 3-0

sammy may actually have to go hang with abba to get the beatles a vote.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 25, 2017 21:44

Hairball
keefriff99
Hairball
silkcut1978

smiling smiley

Deep down, probably most everyone has at least a smidgeon of like for Abba - whether they admit it or not. winking smiley
ABBA were great. I liked them then and still do. I even recently acquired a greatest hits CD. They really knew how to craft a catchy song. Intricate arrangements, solid production -- their music still sounds great!

Sid Vicious was also an ABBA fan. One time, at an airport, he spotted ABBA and approached the girls for autographs -- they shrieked and ran!

That thing about Rick Nielsen preferring the Stones is funny. If this is so, then how come Cheap Trick has covered so many Beatles songs?

Cheap Trick - Sgt. Pepper: [www.youtube.com]
Cheap Trick - A Day In The Life: [www.youtube.com]
Cheap Trick with Paul McCartney - Golden Slumbers Medley: [www.youtube.com]
Cheap Trick - Cold Turkey (John Lennon cover): [www.youtube.com]
Cheap Trick - Magical Mystery Tour: [www.youtube.com]
Cheap Trick - She Said, She Said: [www.youtube.com]
Cheap Trick - All You Need Is Love: [www.youtube.com]

Oh yes, and there's the 1980 Double Fantasy album session where Cheap Trick backs John Lennon on a version of I'm Losing You: [www.youtube.com]

Date: April 25, 2017 22:12

----

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-25 22:42 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: April 25, 2017 22:28

stonehearted
Hairball
keefriff99
Hairball
silkcut1978

smiling smiley

ABBA were great. I liked them then and still do. I even recently acquired a greatest hits CD. They really knew how to craft a catchy song. Intricate arrangements, solid production -- their music still sounds great!

Sid Vicious was also an ABBA fan. One time, at an airport, he spotted ABBA and approached the girls for autographs -- they shrieked and ran!

That thing about Rick Nielsen preferring the Stones is funny. If this is so, then how come Cheap Trick has covered so many Beatles songs?

Cheap Trick - Sgt. Pepper: [www.youtube.com]
Cheap Trick - A Day In The Life: [www.youtube.com]
Cheap Trick with Paul McCartney - Golden Slumbers Medley: [www.youtube.com]
Cheap Trick - Cold Turkey (John Lennon cover): [www.youtube.com]
Cheap Trick - Magical Mystery Tour: [www.youtube.com]
Cheap Trick - She Said, She Said: [www.youtube.com]
Cheap Trick - All You Need Is Love: [www.youtube.com]

Oh yes, and there's the 1980 Double Fantasy album session where Cheap Trick backs John Lennon on a version of I'm Losing You: [www.youtube.com]

Waterloo! smiling smiley (And that's a funny Sid Vicious story)!

Cheap Trick also covered Sgt. Peppers in it's entirety for a two week run in Vegas back in 2007 - eventually releasing it as an album and dvd in 2009.

So considering all the other Beatles/Lennon covers you mention, and the fact that most Cheap Trick originals are way more Beatles-esque than anything Stonesy, I think it's an odd choice for him as well.
Maybe he's still irked that the Cheap Trick version of I'm Losing You was left on the cutting room floor (although it was eventually released)!

Wondering if Cheap Trick ever covered a Stones song?
Or like these customized Beatles guitars of his, wondering of he if has any customized Stones guitars?

Date: April 25, 2017 22:42

Doxa
Here comes an odd vote for the Beatles:

When it comes to the Beatles vs. Stones debate, ex-Rolling Stone guitarist Mick Taylor has no trouble taking sides: “I sort of liked them, but was never passionate about the Stones,” Taylor told Mail Online’s Bob Graham on being asked to join the band in 1969. “In some ways I liked The Beatles more.”

Autch! >grinning smiley<

- Doxa

It's not as odd as it seems.
Taylor started exploring chords by figuring out Beatle songs in the first place.The progressions are more interesting than in many Stones songs. Taylor was 14 by then. His Beatle statement can be heard during his collaboration on some songs with Jack Bruce, if this music is your cup of tea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 00:27 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 25, 2017 22:50

Apart from the convinced Beatles´fans there are a lot of people
who vote for the Beatles without knowing anything about
them, just because it seems to be common sense that they are "the greatest".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 2, 2017 08:20

TooTough
Apart from the convinced Beatles´fans there are a lot of people
who vote for the Beatles without knowing anything about
them, just because it seems to be common sense that they are "the greatest".

well, it's called 'common sense' for a reason.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 2, 2017 16:46

stonehearted
And the Beatles were hard men too. Brian Epstein cleaned them up for mass consumption, but they were anything but sissies. They were from Liverpool, which is like Hamburg or Norfolk, Virginia--a hard, sea-farin' town, all these dockers and sailors around all the time who would beat the piss out of you if you so much as winked at them. Ringo's from the Dingle, which is like the f***ing Bronx. The Rolling Stones were the mummy's boys--they were all college students from the outskirts of London. They went to starve in London, but it was by choice, to give themselves some sort of aura of disrespectability. I did like the Stones, but they were never anywhere near the Beatles--not for humour, not for originality, not for songs, not for presentation. All they had was Mick Jagger dancing about. Fair enough, the Stones made great records, but they were always s**t on stage, whereas the Beatles were the gear.

I remember one gig the Beatles had at the Cavern, It was just after they got Brian Epstein as their manager. Everyone in Liverpool knew that Epstein was gay, and some kid in the audience screamed, 'John Lennon's a f***ing queer!' And John--who never wore his glasses on stage--put his guitar down and went into the crowd, shouting, 'Who said that?' So this kid says, 'I f***ing did.' John went after him and BAM, gave him the Liverpool kiss, sticking the nut on him--twice! And the kid went down in a mass of blood, snot and teeth. Then John got back on the stage.

-- Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister, White Line Fever

This is a lot of BS...

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 2, 2017 18:41

Hairball
Nice to hear what some rock stars have to say about it, but the everyone has an opinion. *I'll go with Lemmy on this one.
But I think the general public's opinions carry some weight also, and are the reason why the Beatles will always stay at #1.

From Ultimate Classic Rock magazine - two writers take sides and give their spiel as to why one is better than the other.

The Beatles vs. the Rolling Stones – Classic Rock’s Greatest Debates

Final results:

Who's Better - the Beatles or the Rolling Stones? (Poll Closed)
The Beatles 67.08%
The Rolling Stones 32.92%

Probably every open public poll that's ever been given rates the Beatles at #1, and that's the cold hard truth of the matter for Stones fans who think otherwise.

*edit - I only take sides with Lemmy regarding his choice (Beatles), not any of the nonsensical semi-psychotic ramblings he's going on about regarding the Stones.

{Probably bunch of grandmas who voted for the Beatles

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1378
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home