Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ranking the B sides
Date: April 12, 2017 14:01

HMS
1. So Young
2. Fancy Man Blues
3. Jump On Top Of Me
4. Everything is Turning To Gold
5. The Storm

would be my top five when excluding everything that´s on Hot Rocks/Singles Collection. These five songs would have improved any album.

Through The Lonely Lights for me is one of their worst (boring) b-sides ever along with Anyway You Look At It of course. Cook Cook Blues isn´t even a song.

Why would you exclude b-sides that wound up on Hot Rocks/The Singles Collection?

What's next, excluding b-sides that wound up on Rarities or The Rolling Stones Singles Box Sef?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 12, 2017 14:40

DandelionPowderman
HMS
1. So Young
2. Fancy Man Blues
3. Jump On Top Of Me
4. Everything is Turning To Gold
5. The Storm

would be my top five when excluding everything that´s on Hot Rocks/Singles Collection. These five songs would have improved any album.

Through The Lonely Lights for me is one of their worst (boring) b-sides ever along with Anyway You Look At It of course. Cook Cook Blues isn´t even a song.

Why would you exclude b-sides that wound up on Hot Rocks/The Singles Collection?

What's next, excluding b-sides that wound up on Rarities or The Rolling Stones Singles Box Sef?

Because most of the songs are available on albums/compilations. I focused on the not so easy to find songs that only appeared on single-b-sides and were never included in compilations... but you´re right about Rarities & The big Singles Box, it seems nowadays there aren´t any "hard-to-find" songs anymore. So I maybe will redo my list, although the result will be pretty much the same, I guess.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 13, 2017 01:24

Deltics
NICOS
RipThisBone
video: [youtu.be]

Oh I Do Like To See Me On The B-side hot smiley

An easy no. 1.

Oldham, Watts and Wyman!!!

Never seen or heard this before

Stu-Ball
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks my friend........

Stu, Bill and Keef!
[www.45cat.com]

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: April 13, 2017 17:02

Wish I'd Never Met You
Fancyman Blues
Cook Cook Blues

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 14, 2017 03:35

Best singles B-sides, in chronological order:

Stoned
I Want To Be Loved
Sad Day
Who's Driving Your Plane
Dandelion
Child of the Moon
Let It Rock - Live 1971
Through the Lonely Nights
Everything is Turning to Gold
When the Whip Comes Down - Live 1978
Beast of Burden - Live 1981
I Think I'm Going Mad
Fancy Man Blues
2000 Light Years From Home - Live 1990
The Storm
So Young (1994 version)
Gimme Shelter - Live 1995
Anyway You Look At It
Under The Radar
Dance - Live 2003 (released in 2006)

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 14, 2017 09:56

kowalski
Best singles B-sides, in chronological order:

Stoned
I Want To Be Loved
Sad Day
Who's Driving Your Plane
Dandelion
Child of the Moon
Let It Rock - Live 1971
Through the Lonely Nights
Everything is Turning to Gold
When the Whip Comes Down - Live 1978
Beast of Burden - Live 1981
I Think I'm Going Mad
Fancy Man Blues
2000 Light Years From Home - Live 1990
The Storm
So Young (1994 version)
Gimme Shelter - Live 1995
Anyway You Look At It
Under The Radar
Dance - Live 2003 (released in 2006)

We Love You/Dandelion is a double A-side, isn't it?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 14, 2017 10:57

Wasn't Ruby Tuesday a B side?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 14, 2017 11:08

latebloomer

Yep.
[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 14, 2017 11:14

I think it was the flip of Let's Spend The Night Together; but I don't know how it works when both sides of a single or counted as THE single...like a double sided hit. A double A side release. I know The Beatles had a few of those. So I'm not sure what got promoted to radio or was an official 'a' and 'b' side. I don't have the 45 rpm anymore. It was a big radio hit. RT may have actually gotten more airplay and been more the 'A' side; I think the charting was counting them both...not sure though. I RT was VERY big radio hit in USA; Also our version of Buttons had it, pushing that album's significance to more US fans in a different ways than other countries. We in States had LSTNT and RT as prominent integtal part of the Buttons experience.

Oh Deltics just saw your link! I think that was the UK version?? UK fans probably already had those singles when Buttons came out? And LSTNT was THE hit in UK and Tuesday did not chart? I'm glad they started putting the same stuff on the same records internationally soon after that. I'm pretty sure Ruby Tuesday was a Number 1 hit single in the states.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-14 11:24 by hopkins.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 14, 2017 11:23

latebloomer

No. It was A in USA I think and second A side in most countries.

Date: April 14, 2017 11:27

Yes I think that's right. Billboard has LSTNT peaking at #55 on the single charts and RT peaking at #1.
Both songs DID chart though so maybe a Double A side in the states too.
?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-14 11:29 by hopkins.

Date: April 14, 2017 11:31

Okay, thanks guys. I read somewhere once that RT was a B side but began to get air time because LSTNT was considered to risqué by many radio stations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-14 11:47 by latebloomer.

Date: April 14, 2017 11:43

Monsoon Ragoon
latebloomer

No. It was A in USA I think and second A side in most countries.

It was indeed a b-side.

Date: April 14, 2017 11:53

hopkins

Oh Deltics just saw your link! I think that was the UK version?? UK fans probably already had those singles when Buttons came out? And LSTNT was THE hit in UK and Tuesday did not chart? I'm glad they started putting the same stuff on the same records internationally soon after that. I'm pretty sure Ruby Tuesday was a Number 1 hit single in the states.

LSTNT/RT came out a week before Buttons was released in the UK and, as was the norm at the time here, they weren't included on the album.
LSTNT was the song that was listed in the charts.

Date: April 14, 2017 12:27

ha funny to see who's at the top of that chart! lol
Monkees somehow outsold The Beatles & The Stones in '67, maybe both combined; not sure. Ironic that "I'm A Believer" and "I'm Not Your Stepping Stone" were both charting hits off the same single in '66.
The former went to #1 and "stepping stone" top 20.

Ruby Tuesday just a lyrical masterpiece by Keith; I remember how much that single meant to me; I was 16 and it was really deep and beautiful, sad and revelatory all at the same time.
Brian was way into the development of that song too; aside from the obvious recorder part and such; not sure about the details.
I know Mick has commented how much he likes the song and that he did not write it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-14 12:31 by hopkins.

Date: April 14, 2017 12:33

Ruby Tuesday at no. 1 in the Cashbox chart, LSTNT at no. 33!

Date: April 14, 2017 14:53

"Ruby Tuesday" by the Rolling Stones was No. 1 on the U.S. pop chart 50 years ago.

The song was actually released as the B-side of the single. The A-side "Let's Spend the Night Together" was a top five hit in Great Britain, but many American radio stations thought the song was too risque to play on the air. So they flipped it over and "Ruby Tuesday" became the hit in this country.

[www.mprnews.org]

Date: April 15, 2017 11:19

I love that link; mostly because of that cool picture of them at the airport, all dressed natty and cool; there's stu off to the side carrying a few things and looking their way, behind them, off to the side, as if avoiding being in any pub shots, but this wide view shows all six....and what kills me, makes me smile is the caption identifying them...stu's the only dedicedly dressed 'non hip' and has a tiny frown, or just watchdog eye on them from a slight difference; tcb. i don't know what mpr news is who wrote it; but i get a kick out of thinking it's someone young who doesn't quite know the "official" complete lineup for sure w the five of them or something...or at least the editor didn't seem to caue the caption is:

"
The Rolling Stones at London Airport on their way to start their U.S. tour in New York, July 24, 1966. From left to right: Charlie Watts, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Mick Jagger, Brian Jones and Ian Stewart. "

Got to love that. A modren pub dated this week too...haha....they got it about right in so many way too. The six of them. Brian's to the right of the other four from out perspective lookin' at the pic, and stu to the right of Brian but when the Rolling Stones are named in the caption it's all six and ai got a kick outta that.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 15, 2017 17:39

The Beatles starting at No. 37 with Strawberry Fields sounds intersting to me. I would have thought they usually went in right on No. 1 or at least Top 10 being No. 1 in week 2. But wasn't Strawberry Fields Forever something like their first non-Beat-singles?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-17 14:32 by JJHMick.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 15, 2017 22:18

So many but the one that jumps straight to mind is: Bitch, Let it Rock double b side to BS

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 16, 2017 01:49

Deltics
latebloomer

Yep.
[www.45cat.com]

An A side in North America and I think the second biggest single they had after Satisfaction.

3rd was HTW, 4th Angie, 5th Miss You.

Date: April 16, 2017 02:11

treaclefingers
Deltics
latebloomer

Yep.
[www.45cat.com]

An A side in North America and I think the second biggest single they had after Satisfaction.

3rd was HTW, 4th Angie, 5th Miss You.

The picture sleeve gave prominence to LSTNT.

[www.45cat.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 17, 2017 01:07

Non LP B-sides
Through The Lonely Nights
Fancy Man Blues
Dandelion
Let It Rock
Think I'm Going Mad
Everything Is Turning To Gold
The Storm
Cook Cook Blues
Jump On Top Of Me
Child Of The Moon
I'm Gonna Drive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-18 16:57 by GasLightStreet.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2054
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home