Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: OT: Musical confessions
Posted by: Stones32 ()
Date: April 26, 2017 22:29

I think the Stones have more in common with modern rappers than modern "rock and rollers". The beat and rhythm of modern rap and the sense of dread and foreboding/cynicism of Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West and the pop/accessibility of rappers like Chance the Rapper echo the best of Keith and Mick. The rappers of today, the true artists, really mirror the Stones sensibilities to a new generation. I love the Stones and everything they stand for very much, and their rebellious attitude + a significant level of performance and musical skill + a @#$%& killer beat live on today in these rappers. A collaboration with these artists would really bring the Stones' very relevant attitude to a new generation, I only wish Keith would embrace them. Keith and Mick will never be irrelevant!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 22:32 by Stones32.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 27, 2017 00:14

mr_dja
SomeTorontoGirl
I know every word. sad smiley

Growing up in New England this was a part of my annual Thanksgiving traditions and I probably had all the words memorized well into the 90's. Unfortunately many people I encountered here in the southeast, didn't think it needed to be a part of their traditions and I was voted down to the point that the lyrics faded from my active memory.

Fast forward a decade or two years...

About 3-4 Thanksgivings ago, someone at the table asked if I had any Thanksgiving family traditions from "up north". I said, "Yes, I do. It's a traditional song that was played on local radio every year." After a quick youtube search, my wife, kids, in-laws, & some friends were introduced to the story of Alice's Restaurant. Although my wife now requests that I wait until the meal is "officially over", last Thanksgiving my youngest daughter asked for "The Thanksgiving Song" before we started and I pressed play during desert. The chorus has now turned into a big sing-along for the kids and although her eyes roll every time, the smile on my wife's face watching her kids laugh and sing along makes me think she likes it too!

Thanks for posting a happy memory STG!!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Who ever heard of a dump being closed on Thanksgiving? That's a great tradition!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 27, 2017 00:22

My musical confessions would probably get me booted right off this board, so I fear I must refrain!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 27, 2017 01:02

..... come on voodoooooo .... open up and tell us all ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 27, 2017 01:08

VoodooLounge13
My musical confessions would probably get me booted right off this board, so I fear I must refrain!!!

Goodness! You must be responsible for this!

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 27, 2017 01:30

the stones are my all time favourite band but i rarely listen to

honky tonk woman
satisfaction
start me up
miss you
you cant always get what you want
its only rock and roll

instead i listen a lot to

jigsaw puzzle
midnight rambler
jj flash
citadel
if you cant rock me
silver train
heartbreaker
paint it black
lets spend the night together
ruby tuesday
slave
little t and a
blood red wine
winter
brown sugar
gold painted fingernails
we love you
child of the moon
shattered
loving cup
let it loose
time waits for no one

and much more.

Date: April 27, 2017 01:35

No penance required buttons ...
.... but you should listen to Satisfaction a little more often ...

ROCKMAN

Date: April 27, 2017 01:54

SomeTorontoGirl
VoodooLounge13

[m.youtube.com]

Oh God no! Though Celine WAS one of the best shows I've ever seen - admittedly I was dragged to it long long ago by an ex-girlfriend, but she put on one helluva show!

Date: April 27, 2017 01:58

dragged to it long long ago by an ex-girlfriend, but she put on one helluva show

tell us more ... what did your ex do ta up-stage Celine ....????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 27, 2017 02:03

Rick Springfield's 'Don't Talk to Strangers' came on the radio and I confess I turned it up.

Date: April 27, 2017 02:12

UGH OK so.... My musical tastes are well varied and run the spectrum of genres and artists....But some of this Pop stuff is among my collection....

I still love my 80's hair metal bands most - as a genre that is
I have all of Xtina's albums
I also have all of Selena Gomez's albums, and Shakira's
Beiber's last album I own and think is damn good!
I like, and saw in concert, The Weeknd
I was a big fan of 90's country (Garth, Shania Twain, Joe Diffie, Tracy Lawrence, Sara Evans, Alan Jackson, etc)
I recently became a Little Monster and now have all of Lady Gaga's albums
I have both Greatest Hits collections of Abba
I love the Eagles
I am a huge Madonna fan and still hope to see her in concert one day. I also think Erotica would be a phenomenal album to fk to tongue sticking out smiley
I think Michael Jackson was phenomenal
I saw Janet Jackson in concert
I have the Carpenters Greatest Hits, along with the Partridge Family, and Jan & Dean.
Most of the time I don't understand the following that Pink Floyd, the Doors, and the Grateful Dead have.
I also have the Alice's Restaurant album
The Stones made me a huge Black Eyed Peas fan, and I think Will.I.Am is a genius
I have all of No Doubt and Gwen's albums
I love Beyoncé and Rihanna
I love dancing to Bruno Mars
I have a Russian bootleg of Katy Perry's Greatest Hits, and same for Taylor Swift (at least she does write her own songs - I'll give her that)
I am one of about 75,000 who actually own the Sweet 75 album (Krist Novoselic's post-Nirvana offering)
In college, I listened to the Benedictine Monks incessantly while studying
I really liked the Superheavy album
I skip Might As Well Get Juiced every time it comes on

Mick is not only my idol, but I also have had a man-crush on him at various points in his career.

That's about all that I can come up with at the moment. For me, music is such a personal thing - what moves one person isn't going to necessarily do the same for another. I appreciate all kinds of it, and I don't understand why there is so much hate out there for it. But then, I am a person who can talk civilly about politics without turning it into an argument. I also was able to recently do this with religion, and I had thought that that was the ONE topic where people really can't have a discussion!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-27 07:30 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: April 27, 2017 02:13

Rockman
dragged to it long long ago by an ex-girlfriend, but she put on one helluva show

tell us more ... what did your ex do ta up-stage Celine ....????

LMFAO Only you Rock! OK well there's the confessions up - have at it! smiling smiley

Date: April 27, 2017 02:17

See Voodoo ..... now you feel a hella of a lot better don't ya ...

ROCKMAN

Date: April 27, 2017 02:30

Hmmm, in a weird way I guess I do, Rockman!!!

Y'know, one day I am going to make it down under!! That is #1 on my Bucket List!! Then I'm going to go do an African Safari and climb Kilimanjaro. That's #2 on the list!

Date: April 27, 2017 02:39

Yeah come down ..... You'll love it ...

Melbourne No1 most livable city in the world ....
Everybody wants to come live here ... not many pack up and leave

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: April 27, 2017 04:38

A few months after taking my 10-year-old daughter to see the Stones in Orlando I took her to see Taylor SWift in Tampa. I thought it was fantastic and I had never heard one of her songs prior to going.

Also agree with whoever said Karen Carpenter had the best female voice ever, Period. Just think of how great she could have been had someone given her the proper songs to sing, instead of that schmaltz they produced. Kind of like Elvis.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 27, 2017 04:48

Chester
Also agree with whoever said Karen Carpenter had the best female voice ever, Period. Just think of how great she could have been had someone given her the proper songs to sing, instead of that schmaltz they produced. Kind of like Elvis.
It isn't the songs -- they're great songs, it's the arrangements. Unfortunately, Richard Carpenter housed his mixing desk in an elevator.

Close To You as done by Dusty Springfield is the real version: [www.youtube.com]

Hurting Each Other is maudlin when done by the Carpenters, but in the hands of the Walker Brothers it's epic: [www.youtube.com]

Date: April 27, 2017 08:58

1970's KISS are one of the best rock bands ever. to release that many great albums of almost all original material in that short a span is amazing

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: April 27, 2017 15:49

VoodooLounge13
SomeTorontoGirl
VoodooLounge13

[m.youtube.com]

Oh God no! Though Celine WAS one of the best shows I've ever seen - admittedly I was dragged to it long long ago by an ex-girlfriend, but she put on one helluva show!

I absolutely forgot this one: Back in 2003 for our one year anniversary I invited my wife to see Celine Dion in Las Vegas. I ABSOLUTELY hate Celine but I must say the show was really good.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 27, 2017 15:53

Was reminded last night while taking a shower with "shuffle all" playing the uploaded portion of my collection...

I own a Dan Fogelberg Greatest Hits album. And I like it still to this day. Forget which song played last night but I was humming along quickly. Run For The Roses, Same Auld Lang Syne and Longer have always been favorites.

For context: Right before Dan came on the player was Joe & Beth - Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Stones - Happy (studio), Stones - 20 Flight Rock (live). Don't remember the after. It was a good reward of tunes for a job well done in the yard!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: April 27, 2017 16:04

VoodooLounge13
UGH OK so.... My musical tastes are well varied and run the spectrum of genres and artists....But some of this Pop stuff is among my collection....

I still love my 80's hair metal bands most - as a genre that is
I have all of Xtina's albums
I also have all of Selena Gomez's albums, and Shakira's
Beiber's last album I own and think is damn good!
I like, and saw in concert, The Weeknd
I was a big fan of 90's country (Garth, Shania Twain, Joe Diffie, Tracy Lawrence, Sara Evans, Alan Jackson, etc)
I recently became a Little Monster and now have all of Lady Gaga's albums
I have both Greatest Hits collections of Abba
I love the Eagles
I am a huge Madonna fan and still hope to see her in concert one day. I also think Erotica would be a phenomenal album to fk to tongue sticking out smiley
I think Michael Jackson was phenomenal
I saw Janet Jackson in concert
I have the Carpenters Greatest Hits, along with the Partridge Family, and Jan & Dean.
Most of the time I don't understand the following that Pink Floyd, the Doors, and the Grateful Dead have.
I also have the Alice's Restaurant album
The Stones made me a huge Black Eyed Peas fan, and I think Will.I.Am is a genius
I have all of No Doubt and Gwen's albums
I love Beyoncé and Rihanna
I love dancing to Bruno Mars
I have a Russian bootleg of Katy Perry's Greatest Hits, and same for Taylor Swift (at least she does write her own songs - I'll give her that)
I am one of about 75,000 who actually own the Sweet 75 album (Krist Novoselic's post-Nirvana offering)
In college, I listened to the Benedictine Monks incessantly while studying
I really liked the Superheavy album
I skip Might As Well Get Juiced every time it comes on

Mick is not only my idol, but I also have had a man-crush on him at various points in his career.

That's about all that I can come up with at the moment. For me, music is such a personal thing - what moves one person isn't going to necessarily do the same for another. I appreciate all kinds of it, and I don't understand why there is so much hate out there for it. But then, I am a person who can talk civilly about politics without turning it into an argument. I also was able to recently do this with religion, and I had thought that that was the ONE topic where people really can't have a discussion!!!

Interesting post, I feel like I need to comment on these spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I still love my 80's hair metal bands most - as a genre that is - was never really into hair metal
I have all of Xtina's albums - no idea who that is
I also have all of Selena Gomez's albums, and Shakira's - might have one of Shakira, not sure
Beiber's last album I own and think is damn good! - BIG NOPE
I like, and saw in concert, The Weeknd - not really up to date with what he is doing, might have heard a song or two on the radio
I was a big fan of 90's country (Garth, Shania Twain, Joe Diffie, Tracy Lawrence, Sara Evans, Alan Jackson, etc) - I hate most country
I recently became a Little Monster and now have all of Lady Gaga's albums - I listened to her last album and there is some pretty good stuff on there
I have both Greatest Hits collections of Abba - good for you
I love the Eagles - I don't hate them but have none of their albums
I am a huge Madonna fan and still hope to see her in concert one day. I also think Erotica would be a phenomenal album to fk to tongue sticking out smiley - meh, she has done some OK music
I think Michael Jackson was phenomenal - I used to hate MJ but he did some genius stuff and his music definitely has a place in history
I saw Janet Jackson in concert - I am not sad to have missed this
I have the Carpenters Greatest Hits, along with the Partridge Family, and Jan & Dean. - OK, whatever
Most of the time I don't understand the following that Pink Floyd, the Doors, and the Grateful Dead have. - me neither, see my thread starting post
I also have the Alice's Restaurant album - I think I now have to get that one too
The Stones made me a huge Black Eyed Peas fan, and I think Will.I.Am is a genius - BEP used to be very very good on their first albums and then only went downhill when they went mainstream
I have all of No Doubt and Gwen's albums - I was just listening to No Doubt yesterday (came up in a random playlist), reminds me of some good times
I love Beyoncé and Rihanna - I don't hate them but they are hugely overrated
I love dancing to Bruno Mars - I love music but actually hate dancing, BM has a few OK songs
I have a Russian bootleg of Katy Perry's Greatest Hits, and same for Taylor Swift (at least she does write her own songs - I'll give her that) - haha
I am one of about 75,000 who actually own the Sweet 75 album (Krist Novoselic's post-Nirvana offering) - that album is so good actually and I listen to it from time to time. What are the odds that more than one person on this board owns it? haha
In college, I listened to the Benedictine Monks incessantly while studying - must have been annoying
I really liked the Superheavy album - I probably like it more than the average poster on this board
I skip Might As Well Get Juiced every time it comes on - yes, that is probably the worst Stones song

Mick is not only my idol, but I also have had a man-crush on him at various points in his career. - I don't have idols

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 27, 2017 16:36

I like The Doors´ post-Jim-Morrison albums (Full Circles/Other Voices). Yes I do!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 27, 2017 16:38

Kiss´s Dynasty is one of my all time favorite albums by any band.

Date: April 27, 2017 16:58

Uriah Heep (circa early to mid-70s) was one of my favourite bands. Didn't like them after that though.

I too never thought John Lennon was that great after the Beatles era. Good but not great any longer.

I'm a U2 fan but don't think they have an especially strong catalogue.

I always liked CSN&Y but think that Crosby was the least talented musically and in song-writing skills. But he can sing!

I like The Who but they ceased to exist for me back in the 1980s. Now there are just two originals left. That's not The Who!

I love Julio Iglesias!!!!

Date: April 27, 2017 17:58

ohotos
VoodooLounge13
SomeTorontoGirl
VoodooLounge13

[m.youtube.com]

I absolutely forgot this one: Back in 2003 for our one year anniversary I invited my wife to see Celine Dion in Las Vegas. I ABSOLUTELY hate Celine but I must say the show was really good.

Good grief, you two! Sit down put your heads between your knees and wait for this feeling to pass. If that doesn't work, try beer. grinning smiley

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 27, 2017 19:34

I like the second Stone Roses album (middle 90s) much better than the so famous first (1989).

I don't dislike "Dirty Work" album. Not at all...

I like "A Bigger Bang" album. I suppose that have to be "confession", in this board...

Date: April 27, 2017 21:12

laertisflash
I like the second Stone Roses album (middle 90s) much better than the so famous first (1989).

I don't dislike "Dirty Work" album. Not at all...

I like "A Bigger Bang" album. I suppose that have to be "confession", in this board...

I actually like it a lot, preferring it to Undercover, which, IMO, is their weakest album.

I also love Cyndi Lauper's Greatest Hits, and it might the one album of greatest hits that I truly adore.
I could listen to Michael Stipe and Sinead O'Connor for hours each - I think they are the most beautiful voices of their respective sexes.

Date: April 27, 2017 21:53

SomeTorontoGirl
ohotos
VoodooLounge13
SomeTorontoGirl
VoodooLounge13

[m.youtube.com]

Good grief, you two! Sit down put your heads between your knees and wait for this feeling to pass. If that doesn't work, try beer. grinning smiley

Ooooooh STG....This is the concert you're looking for! winking smiley (Said under a Jedi hood)

Date: April 27, 2017 21:53

I always thought Real Love was FAR better than Free as a Bird

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 27, 2017 22:01

keefriffhard4life
1970's KISS are one of the best rock bands ever. to release that many great albums of almost all original material in that short a span is amazing

Yep, I love the KISS of that era.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2111
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home