Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: how often is Ronnie in open G?Faces
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 29, 2017 21:53

he was playing Open D w Faces? I wonder which tunes; it's my fave period w him as a guitarist on both lead and rhythm; and early Rod solo stuff too of course. I should revisit that old MTV Unplugged get together with Rod and Ron and take a closer look and listen. Faces driving rock and roll numbers are still some of my most precious favorite rock and roll cuts ever. Does the open D figure into any of that chunka chunka stuff; i know that's not Ron on Dance Little Sister but that kind of hard grooving rough rhythm guitar stuff; he used to do a lot of that w Faces circa Long Player and A Nod Is As Good As A Wink...
that open D thing has me wondering if any guitarist fan knows which Faces songs, or Stones songs for that matter; might have been Open D...or even Open E? but espeically I am intersted in Open D, that would be much more rare I think.

I am guessing most of his lead work was regular tuning working off of pentatonic scales as is typical in rock and blues...
i think a big part of the earnest raw charm of '78 and HG period, was in no little way because two Faces were elementary basic instrumentalists in The Rolling Stones that tour....and to this day when Ron and Keith DO get into that cool hard chunka chunka and start popping littlel riffs here and there is still the biggest thrill for me in a Stones show; and always the songs that work best for me...
i don't think Chuck Berry used open tunings tho did he? ty.
i think of some of the incredibly beautiful acoustic Stones work on some of their greatest Taylor era hits...with 12 srings playing off of six string open tuning acoustic...i think they've got that going in a one or two of their really big ones and it's so beautiful. I love it how Ike's all learning open tuning from Mick backstage and he's on it like an eagle hawk haha. the next Ike Turner record had like all open tunings numbers....that's quite a compliment coming from an old legendary blues cat, which is a big part of what Ike was before the revue and all that got together....rocket 88 and even before that days....

i love open d myself and have played around with it a little; it took a while to figure out the lead patterns outside of standard tuning tho...it was harder to just rip a good simple basic melodic stinging pentatonic lead on an open tuned guitar....but the ease and magnificence the slightest movements or fingerings make is so cool; so much dimension; i experimented with Nashville kind of tuning once too; getting the right guage strings and taking everything up an octave i think it was....it made the six string acoustic sound a little like a 12 string ambiance and was a lot of fun.....I bet Keith knows every trick in the book with all that stuff...and Mick for goodness sake wrote Brown Sugar, including THE riff in open g...powerful stuff...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-29 21:55 by hopkins.

Re: how often is Ronnie in open G?
Date: March 29, 2017 22:49

Open E for SOME of the slide tunes + Angel.

"Chugga Chugga" was mostly in standard tuning..

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: March 29, 2017 23:26

Going from memory here, but in the BBC broadcast from 1971 I think he uses open E tuning on Stay With Me and Love in Vain. Maybe some others as well, but I have not watched it in awhile. Outstanding performance - Faces in all their glory.

Date: March 30, 2017 00:06

Crackinup
Going from memory here, but in the BBC broadcast from 1971 I think he uses open E tuning on Stay With Me and Love in Vain. Maybe some others as well, but I have not watched it in awhile. Outstanding performance - Faces in all their glory.

Correct. Excellent show.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2430
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home