Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Natural decay and math
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 6, 2005 22:33

QUESTION: What artists have maintained their creativity into middle age and late middle age? Paul Simon comes to mind with Graceland and Rythm of the Saints, although he collaborated with African and South American musicians. Certainly, Dylan declined, McCartney REALLY declined, U2 has never matched late 80's and early 90's work, etc.

There is an established link between mathematics and music - mathmeticians peak in their late 20's/ early 30's. No great, original work in the field (hardly) has come from older mathematicians. I've always thought that musician's minds are the same. Almost all songwriters peak in their late 20's, early 30's. Just the way it is.

Re: Natural decay and math
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 6, 2005 22:42

Are you talking about writing new stuff OR performing ??

There are so many great performers past 55... but not that many writing great new stuff...

Although it's uneven, Bruce Springsteen's "The Rising" had some incredible songs that were even more incredible live on the Rising Tour in '03/'04.

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: September 6, 2005 22:42

No, Dylan is still creative the way he was, he had periods of decline but always came back.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 6, 2005 22:43

Speaking of songwriting only. Performances from the Stones and many others only get better.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 6, 2005 22:51

dylan....motorhead

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 6, 2005 22:53

Cohen made his debut at 33.
But I cant say he became better and better.
He peaked in the beginning, then he have had some nice highlight eras.

Posted by: Bone Machine ()
Date: September 6, 2005 23:07

Tom Waits

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2005 23:09

Phyllis Diller

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bone Machine ()
Date: September 6, 2005 23:20

Phyllis Diller Rocks!

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 7, 2005 02:36

The mathmetician idea is interesting, but I can barely balance a checkbook, so...

I like a baseball analogy. A player will still have his peaks as his career advances, but they will be increasingly infrequent and the overall batting average will decline.

Our friends the Rolling Stones had some pretty heavy duty career seasons--they stack up favorably against anybody, even that other band from England. These days, they aren't as consistent at the plate, but still occasionally belt them out. They've lost more power than they have average, though. (Very sorry to all those abroad who don't follow baseball).

As far as maintaining consistency over the long haul, there isn't a soul who compares with Neil Young. Of course, as with the Stones, most people aren't actively listening anymore, but his 1990's stuff really does match up with the 70's--in some ways, it's actually more intense. It's a lucky thing to be a Neil Young fan.

And of course, Dylan has certainly had his moments as well...

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 7, 2005 02:55

Iggy Pop....Johnny Cash....The Dictators

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 7, 2005 02:58

Leonard K:

Not so good with latter day Iggy or the Dictators, but Cash's American stuff is pretty special.

Point well taken.

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: September 7, 2005 03:36

dylan really cant sing anymore Paul Mcartney hasnt written a good song since hey jude 35 years ago and johnny is gone U2 still writes good musuic but the stones are in a different league altogether.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 7, 2005 04:10

Dylan declined??

His last two studio albums were the best he'd done in 25 years!!

Springsteen's on a creative high in his mid 50's that he hasnt had since his early 30's

To add to those mentioned earlier, Neil Young and Lou Reed are two more who both produced great work into their late 40's and beyond, although both can be a bit inconsistent in the last few years

And the late Warren Zevon's work in his last few years showed a fine return to form.

A bit premature to dismiss U2 as middle aged/late middle aged as theyre still no older than mid 40's

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1559
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home