Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Why no video Vault Releases?
Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: June 6, 2017 19:55

Well, since last December they have released Blue And Lonesome, Ole Ole Ole, the Japan only vault releases and in June standalone cd releases of material already on video. I am guessing they don't want to flood the market with too many releases all at the same time. In addition, people are talking about a possible dvd release of the complete Sticky Fingers show this fall.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-06 19:57 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 6, 2017 20:36

boogaloojef
Well, since last December they have released Blue And Lonesome, Ole Ole Ole, the Japan only vault releases and in June standalone cd releases of material already on video. I am guessing they don't want to flood the market with too many releases all at the same time. In addition, people are talking about a possible dvd release of the complete Sticky Fingers show this fall.

It wouldn't constitute a "flooding of the market" if they only would not put our each item in multitudes of formats with every serious collector feeling the need to buy, including these costly Japan-releases with bonus material... On the face of it, since December we "only" had Blue And Lonesome and Ole Ole Ole, while the other stuff (standalone CD releases) is just rehashing material that's already out there since a couple of years.

Date: June 6, 2017 22:49

retired_dog
boogaloojef

It wouldn't constitute a "flooding of the market" if they only would not put our each item in multitudes of formats with every serious collector feeling the need to buy, including these costly Japan-releases with bonus material... On the face of it, since December we "only" had Blue And Lonesome and Ole Ole Ole, while the other stuff (standalone CD releases) is just rehashing material that's already out there since a couple of years.

However, Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones had not been previously issued in audio format, Most people have been waiting for a 1972 release on audio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-06 22:54 by boogaloojef.

Re: Next "From the vaults" issue?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 7, 2017 02:18

I want every show from 1972-1978. video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 7, 2017 06:02

boogaloojef
retired_dog
boogaloojef

However, Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones had not been previously issued in audio format, Most people have been waiting for a 1972 release on audio.

The only thing I'm curious about is if the sound will be better than the DVD/Blu Ray. I remember it sounding great in Quad when I first saw it at a Midnight Showing in 1976. Then I got my DVD and it was weak audio wise. The Blu Ray I finally is only incrementally better.

Date: June 7, 2017 08:21

boogaloojef
retired_dog
boogaloojef

True, but I can live without this release as long as it's just an audio dub from the video masters and not entirely remixed from the original multitracks. As I already have the L&G blu-ray, a CD version of the soundtrack would even be a downgrade for me!

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: June 7, 2017 11:36

The L&G boxset was released yesterday in Japan. Some nice new pictures of it;
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Now let's hope it is remixed from the multi's

Date: June 7, 2017 11:40

If I'll buy it I might go for the mini-LP: [www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: June 7, 2017 11:52

unfortunately it's the same lousy mix
[itunes.apple.com]

Date: June 7, 2017 11:58

kevinkamphuis
[itunes.apple.com]

Indeed it is.. They could at least bothered to pan the guitars sad smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 7, 2017 13:02

When is the US release date for the cd ?

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: June 7, 2017 13:14

24FPS
boogaloojef
retired_dog
boogaloojef

The only thing I'm curious about is if the sound will be better than the DVD/Blu Ray. I remember it sounding great in Quad when I first saw it at a Midnight Showing in 1976. Then I got my DVD and it was weak audio wise. The Blu Ray I finally is only incrementally better.

It's great sounding on the VHS cassette

Date: June 7, 2017 13:51

TheGreek

I thought the standalone cd release was Japan only. It can be ordered here right now.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 7, 2017 13:56

TheGreek
Just wait a couple of days. There will be a release for the ROW.
amazon.de states June 9, the rest amazon - June 16.
It is worth waiting a couple of days. But if you are in hurry - head for overpriced Japanese SHM edition. Although I do not think it would sound any better in this case.

Date: June 7, 2017 13:57

DandelionPowderman
TheGreek

I thought the standalone cd release was Japan only. It can be ordered here right now.

standalone of ladies and gents?

[www.amazon.com]

Date: June 7, 2017 13:58

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
TheGreek

standalone of ladies and gents?

[www.amazon.com]

Yep. I see it isn't a Japan only release now. Good! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-07 13:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: June 7, 2017 17:23

kevinkamphuis
[itunes.apple.com]

That's a shame, I held off from pre-ordering the CD as I suspected they wouldn't be going back to remix (or remaster) the show given there wasn't any real promotion or official information about this release which usually tends to imply that it has been put together from existing materials.

Date: June 7, 2017 17:26

DandelionPowderman
kevinkamphuis
[itunes.apple.com]

OK, that's exactly what I feared. There's one good thing about this mess, though:

It gives them the chance to recycle this L&G material again in a couple of years with "improved audio remixed from original multitrack master tapes that were only recently found/re-discovered and thought to be lost" as a new marketing-tag.

Do I sound cynical, even sarcastic?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 7, 2017 17:52

retired_dog I feel you, my sentiments exactly.

Date: June 7, 2017 18:06

DandelionPowderman
TheGreek

Thank you DP

Date: June 7, 2017 18:07

ironbelly
TheGreek
Just wait a couple of days. There will be a release for the ROW.
amazon.de states June 9, the rest amazon - June 16.
It is worth waiting a couple of days. But if you are in hurry - head for overpriced Japanese SHM edition. Although I do not think it would sound any better in this case.
Thank you

Date: June 7, 2017 18:07

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
kevinkamphuis
[itunes.apple.com]

OK, that's exactly what I feared. There's one good thing about this mess, though:

It gives them the chance to recycle this L&G material again in a couple of years with "improved audio remixed from original multitrack master tapes that were only recently found/re-discovered and thought to be lost" as a new marketing-tag.

Do I sound cynical, even sarcastic?

LOL grinning smiley

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 7, 2017 18:49

San Jose 1999 was professionally recorded (video & audio). They were two of the best Rolling Stones shows.

Of course Atlantic City 1989 was remixed by bob Clearmountain which was partially aired (the remixed version) on VH1.

There has also been much 'filming' over the years at concerts of the fans too, such as 2012 Newark, 2006 Beacon Theatre and many more.

There's much footage in the vaults. The list goes on and on. At least there has been some of this material released.

It was heavily rumored by reliable sources that the Stones have been working on the follow-up to 25X5.

Date: June 7, 2017 19:47

ChrisMahavishnu
kevinkamphuis
[itunes.apple.com]

That's a shame, I held off from pre-ordering the CD as I suspected they wouldn't be going back to remix (or remaster) the show given there wasn't any real promotion or official information about this release which usually tends to imply that it has been put together from existing materials.

Some people on another forum are saying the Japanese SHM-CD of Ladies and Gentlemen has better sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-07 19:50 by boogaloojef.

Date: June 7, 2017 20:55

boogaloojef
ChrisMahavishnu
kevinkamphuis
[itunes.apple.com]

Some people on another forum are saying the Japanese SHM-CD of Ladies and Gentlemen has better sound.
Any peak levels or wavefront images or samples? Or this is just a general wisdom that SMH discs sounds better?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 7, 2017 21:56

boogaloojef

SHM-CDs are not cheap, so people hear what they want to hear...grinning smiley

Date: June 7, 2017 22:38

ironbelly
boogaloojef
ChrisMahavishnu
kevinkamphuis
[itunes.apple.com]

Any peak levels or wavefront images or samples? Or this is just a general wisdom that SMH discs sounds better?

Here is some more of what they said.

Got this yesterday, from Japan to Central IL just like I said in my earlier post about CDJapan, just amazing service. The stand alone SHM CD version. Ripped to FLAC and listened to this TWICE all the way through mowing lawn during afternoon on FIIO X3, and now listening on FIIO X5 3rd Gen and I'm amazed what has been done to this. I can make out details never heard before, and have been interested in this film forever, from bad VHS movie copies to the vinyl then CD soundtracks like the bootleg Dragon Slayers, to the upgrade 4Reel video and then finally the ultimate official DVD and Blu-ray versions. I ripped the Blu-ray audio myself few years ago, kept the levels low, but this CD is still a revelation. Haven't analyzed it in audacity but it's definitely louder than my rip, but that could be the setting I used when ripping. I will say you can hear so much more detail, from the crowd reactions low in the mix during songs to some of the dialogue from off stage that always leaked into mix. When Mick says about an acoustic song Sweet Virgina and can people hear in the back, you can clearly hear an off stage comment about someone messing with the PA levels. The opening riffs for Happy and All Down The Line are front and center and amazing. Bobby Keys and Nicky Hopkins were the ultimate sidemen, and Mick Taylor was a genius. You can more clearly hear how Charlie bashes away, more nuanced now. So glad I ordered this when announced, another great addition to the collection from the golden 69-73 Mick T era.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-07 22:43 by boogaloojef.

Date: June 7, 2017 23:03

boogaloojef
The guy said he ripped the CD with some settings (unknown settings). The rest is just a funny discussion that is not based on anything real but his feelings and emotions. Which reminds me almost classic review from Steve Hoffman's forum: The remaster is slightly compressed, no-noised, uses limiting and has a bass boost, but sounds pretty good winking smiley. Only detailed mastering details or accurate rip matters.
Sure, SHM CD could possibly sound differently. We all know that the CD's produced at different plants from the same digital master sound differently. This is Barry Diament statement and you can not beat it.
[forums.stevehoffman.tv]
But he guy is talking about the rip with unknown settings.
BTW, those samples on iTune sound the same as old good soundtrack to me. Unless they made MAJOR changes to CD or provide different master tape to Japan.

Date: June 8, 2017 03:14

ironbelly
boogaloojef
The guy said he ripped the CD with some settings (unknown settings). The rest is just a funny discussion that is not based on anything real but his feelings and emotions. Which reminds me almost classic review from Steve Hoffman's forum: The remaster is slightly compressed, no-noised, uses limiting and has a bass boost, but sounds pretty good winking smiley. Only detailed mastering details or accurate rip matters.
Sure, SHM CD could possibly sound differently. We all know that the CD's produced at different plants from the same digital master sound differently. This is Barry Diament statement and you can not beat it.
[forums.stevehoffman.tv]
BTW, those samples on iTune sound the same as old good soundtrack to me. Unless they made MAJOR changes to CD or provide different master tape to Japan.

However, he also says the cd sounds better than his old rip from the Blu-Ray but that is all we have for now. Too bad there are no details on who did the mastering.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-08 03:27 by boogaloojef.

Date: June 8, 2017 03:33

boogaloojef
ironbelly
boogaloojef
[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

However, he also says the cd sounds better than his old rip from the Blu-Ray but that is all we have for now.

Hearing is believing in this case. I prefer to wait and let others test the waters, he he...

Besides, with some different EQ this L&G soundtrack may sound marginally "better", and paying a lot for SHM-CD may indeed trick you into believing that it sounds significantly better (just like HMS suggested), but what this audio really needs is no different EQ (I can do that by myself, btw - for free!) of the same mix, but a remix from the multitracks.

I just can't see that they've remixed it from scratch for the japanese SHM-CD and the rest of the world gets the same lousy old mix.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home