Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: O/T: What Do We Think of the Grateful Dead?
Posted by: chop ()
Date: March 1, 2017 23:44

Don't hate them. Just find them boring. Their music just doesn't do anything to move or inspire me.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 2, 2017 00:03

The Americana stuff from 1970-1973 is pretty tasty.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 2, 2017 00:20

............. Saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac
..............................Don Henley - Boys Of Summer

ROCKMAN

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: March 2, 2017 00:20

Horrible

Date: March 2, 2017 00:24

NICOS
Because of the Stones relation and maybe the name "Grateful Dead" I bought Workingman's Dead and Wake of the Flood back in the early 70's great records.......but never bought any other records.............saw a lot live jamming on YouTube but for me they sound a bit the same.......

What is considered as the best GD record ?

workingmans dead, american beauty, blues for allah and wake of the flood are usually named as the bands best

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 2, 2017 00:27

keefriffhard4life
NICOS
Because of the Stones relation and maybe the name "Grateful Dead" I bought Workingman's Dead and Wake of the Flood back in the early 70's great records.......but never bought any other records.............saw a lot live jamming on YouTube but for me they sound a bit the same.......

workingmans dead, american beauty, blues for allah and wake of the flood are usually named as the bands best

yes i'm not sure which one of those because I don't own any but one of those has some really great and sweet acoustic kind of folky bluesy style and I really liked that about what little I know about their catalog. Touch of Grey and sunshine daydream and few are real refreshing i can see why people love them; the long meandering jamming thing and spaz dancing and all, not particuarly my groove.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 2, 2017 00:58

keefriffhard4life
NICOS

Thanks I will check them out........american beauty, blues for allah..................

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: March 2, 2017 01:44

It took time to enter into the grateful dead world, but little by little I made it. they are one of the greatest American band . In my top 10

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 2, 2017 01:55

I have nothing but respect for the fan base they cultivated. I saw a documentary on Netflix about Bob Weir that was okay. But to these ears they are the worst of the worst. Rolling Stone always does these lists. If they did 500 best rock bands of all time, the GD would be 500th. They are definitely the worst cover band of all time. There's no balls to their blues. Listen to their version of Little Red Rooster. Harmonies stink. The lyrics to their songs are sophomoric. If I just dropped a tab of Orang Sunshine and somebody put on the Dead, I'd yell at them to stop f-ing up my trip! I hate licorice too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 09:20 by 24FPS.

Date: March 2, 2017 02:45

24FPS
I have nothing but respect for the fan base they cultivated. I saw a documentary on Netflix about Bob Weir that was okay. But to these ears they are the worst of the worst. Rolling Stones always does these lists. If they did 500 best rock bands of all time, the GD would be 500th. They are definitely the worst cover band of all time. There's no balls to their blues. Listen to their version of Little Red Rooster. Harmonies stink. The lyrics to their songs are sophomoric. If I just dropped a tab of Orang Sunshine and somebody put on the Dead, I'd yell at them to stop f-ing up my trip! I hate licorice too.[/quote

you must be high already to think the lyrics to the songs are sophomoric. robert hunter is one of the greatest rock lyricists along with bernie taupin

Ripple
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung
Would you hear my voice come through the music
Would you hold it near as it were your own?

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
I don't know, don't really care
Let there be songs to fill the air

Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Let it be known there is a fountain
That was not made by the hands of men

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
And if you go no one may follow
That path is for your steps alone

Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow

You who choose to lead must follow

Dire Wolf

In the timbers to Fennario, the wolves are running round
The winter was so hard and cold, froze ten feet 'neath the ground
Don't murder me, I beg of you, don't murder me
Please, don't murder me

I sat down to my supper, 'twas a bottle of red whisky
I said my prayers and went to bed, that's the last they saw of me
Please, don't murder me

When I awoke, the Dire Wolf, six hundred pounds of sin
Was grinning at my window, all I said was come on in
Please, don't murder me

The Wolf came in, I got my cards, we sat down for a game
I cut my deck to the Queen of Spades, but the cards were all the same
Please, don't murder me
Don't murder me

In the backwash of Fennario, the black and bloody mire
The Dire Wolf collects his dues, while the boys sing 'round the fire
Please, don't murder me
Don't murder me
I beg of you don't murder me
Please, don't murder me
No no no don't murder me

I beg of you, don't murder me
Please, don't murder me
Please, don't murder me

thats just 2 examples.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 2, 2017 02:52

It is so funny to me that this thread was started because just recently I have been listening to a LOT of Grateful Dead music. I had put their music down for a few years now but am back listening to them with a vengeance. I caught some great Dead shows in my hometown in Rochester, NY when they played there in 77, 78, and 1980. All were great shows. When they were on, they were fantastic. There are so many great shows that have been commercially released but the one that I consistently come back to is One From the Vault Live At The Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, CA, August 13, 1975 in which the band showcased their new release Blues for Allah. The playing is tight and energetic and the instrumental breaks are exceptional. If you are new to the Dead and want a representative sample of what makes them great-this one does not disappoint.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: March 2, 2017 04:36

I live in SF. I'm saturated with this stuff unfortunately.

My theory on the Grateful Dead: they carry with them the romance of the Haight-Ashbury summer of love. That is what makes them popular, but if you were to strip them of their romantic beginnings you would have a pretty good bar band.

They are a pretty good bar band. Nobody in the band can sing very well. They have two drummers because both need the work. You can dance to them.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: March 2, 2017 04:45

I'm sure there are those that may think the Dead are boring but the same time period of the glory years of rock with Stones, Who, Zeppelin,Bowie's Ziggy years, Elton and early Rod/Faces, was also a great time for the Dead in creativity. I agree with the writer above as Ripple I think is a very well written song lyrically. The Dead may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I would say one time per year I either take a bootleg and Plath it or I have my favorite playlist of turn to listen. It's not like the Stones or Beatles that I could listen to everyday.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: March 2, 2017 05:15

Out West, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, there are all of those window cling decals that one could find in music stores. It was a real cultural thing, I even got the Wake of the Flood decal. That crow on the back cover of the album is actually taken from an old card game called Rook. I'm sure that same phenomenon exists on the Eastern Seaboard and other places. I've come across a few Deadheads who followed them around. It really is a bit more than just the music, it's sort of the hippie culture or something like that.

It is what it is, I wouldn't go over the top on it but some of it is enjoyable.

There use to be that magazine called "Relix", they had stuff on mainly the Dead but Rolling Stones, etc. Maybe it's still around.

Date: March 2, 2017 05:18

24FPS
I have nothing but respect for the fan base they cultivated. I saw a documentary on Netflix about Bob Weir that was okay. But to these ears they are the worst of the worst. Rolling Stones always does these lists. If they did 500 best rock bands of all time, the GD would be 500th. They are definitely the worst cover band of all time. There's no balls to their blues. Listen to their version of Little Red Rooster. Harmonies stink. The lyrics to their songs are sophomoric. If I just dropped a tab of Orang Sunshine and somebody put on the Dead, I'd yell at them to stop f-ing up my trip! I hate licorice too.

They aren't really a Blues band.

Johnny Cash's "Big River" or Dylan's "Stuck Inside of Memphis", not bad imho.

Uncle John's band is probably close to my famous, Bertha was good, so many songs, I can't keep up with all of them.

Ron McKirnan, Pigpen was a pretty singer.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: March 2, 2017 05:18

I was a big fan when they were at their height from 1970 to 1973. I was age 19-22 at that time.

I remain a fan today, but only really listen to stuff from that time frame. That is "American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead", and a couple of the live albums from that time.

I saw them twice live: Boulder Colorado - 1970, and Berkeley California - 1971. The show in California was great, at the Berkeley Community Theater - August 14, 1971.
I am lucky that I was able to download the Berkeley show from a Grateful Dead site, so I have it on my MP3 player some 47 years later. I have that show and the 2 albums mentioned above on MP3, plus numerous vinyl records and cassettes from that era.

Like I said, I'm a fan now, but not a huge fan.

Date: March 2, 2017 05:24

Though, again, many would disagree, I've heard them called "America's Beatles", I can see that. I like them fine, I like Bowie, Lou Reed, Mott the Hoople, I appreciate a lot of the bands, Led Zep, Sabbath for sure. They each have their own unique offerings. Goes without saying, it depends on the mood one is in.

Posted by: jcstone47 ()
Date: March 2, 2017 05:26

I'm a diehard Stones fan. I live, eat and breath the Stones. I wake up everyday and check the tour rumor threads. With that being said....here are some of the other bands I am not afraid to say I love (in no order):

Grateful Dead
Pink Floyd
The Doors
The Faces...does this count because of the Ronnie cross-over?

I love the 'music we don't get' thread, by the way.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 2, 2017 07:50

chop
Don't hate them. Just find them boring. Their music just doesn't do anything to move or inspire me.

+1

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: March 2, 2017 08:16

Yes,the harmonies live weren't great......who here has shuddered at an out of tune Donna scream,but in the studio they were great.......check out Uncle John's Band and Box Of Rain for example.

Date: March 2, 2017 08:34

Brown Moses
Yes,the harmonies live weren't great......who here has shuddered at an out of tune Donna scream,but in the studio they were great.......check out Uncle John's Band and Box Of Rain for example.

supposedly donna could never hear herself on stage

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2017 08:55

goinhome
Garcia said it best... “We're like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice.”

Personally, I'm a fan, and am really grateful for the 40 times or so I got to see them live, but I know a lot of people whose musical judgement I (otherwise) consider to be very on-spot, who can't stand them. I accept and respect their opinion.

not finding a lot of love for licorice.

Date: March 2, 2017 09:27

Think they are a very exciting band, more than almost any other.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 2, 2017 13:24

24FPS
I have nothing but respect for the fan base they cultivated. I saw a documentary on Netflix about Bob Weir that was okay. But to these ears they are the worst of the worst. Rolling Stones always does these lists. If they did 500 best rock bands of all time, the GD would be 500th. They are definitely the worst cover band of all time. There's no balls to their blues. Listen to their version of Little Red Rooster. Harmonies stink. The lyrics to their songs are sophomoric. If I just dropped a tab of Orang Sunshine and somebody put on the Dead, I'd yell at them to stop f-ing up my trip! I hate licorice too.
Forget everything you have heard and wipe the slate clean because it's all about Jerry Garcia's GUITAR . Garcia is the Stradivarius ,Garcia is the Luciano Pavorati, Garcia is the Yo Yo Ma ,Garcia is the Master blaster of the fretboard .Just listen to his guitar ,it's that easy to do cool smiley

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: March 3, 2017 04:23

sorry, I just never got it - I tried many times.
Let's just leave it at that.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 3, 2017 09:19

keefriffhard4life
24FPS
I have nothing but respect for the fan base they cultivated. I saw a documentary on Netflix about Bob Weir that was okay. But to these ears they are the worst of the worst. Rolling Stone always does these lists. If they did 500 best rock bands of all time, the GD would be 500th. They are definitely the worst cover band of all time. There's no balls to their blues. Listen to their version of Little Red Rooster. Harmonies stink. The lyrics to their songs are sophomoric. If I just dropped a tab of Orang Sunshine and somebody put on the Dead, I'd yell at them to stop f-ing up my trip! I hate licorice too.[/quote

you must be high already to think the lyrics to the songs are sophomoric. robert hunter is one of the greatest rock lyricists along with bernie taupin

Ripple
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung
Would you hear my voice come through the music
Would you hold it near as it were your own?

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
I don't know, don't really care
Let there be songs to fill the air

Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Let it be known there is a fountain
That was not made by the hands of men

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
And if you go no one may follow
That path is for your steps alone

Ripple in still water
Nor wind to blow

You who choose to lead must follow

Dire Wolf

In the timbers to Fennario, the wolves are running round
The winter was so hard and cold, froze ten feet 'neath the ground
Please, don't murder me

I sat down to my supper, 'twas a bottle of red whisky
I said my prayers and went to bed, that's the last they saw of me
Please, don't murder me

When I awoke, the Dire Wolf, six hundred pounds of sin
Was grinning at my window, all I said was come on in
Please, don't murder me

The Wolf came in, I got my cards, we sat down for a game
I cut my deck to the Queen of Spades, but the cards were all the same
Please, don't murder me
Don't murder me

In the backwash of Fennario, the black and bloody mire
The Dire Wolf collects his dues, while the boys sing 'round the fire
Please, don't murder me
Don't murder me
I beg of you don't murder me
Please, don't murder me
No no no don't murder me

I beg of you, don't murder me
Please, don't murder me
Please, don't murder me

thats just 2 examples.

Thank you for proving my point. Roll Way the Dew my butt.

Date: March 3, 2017 09:30

not sure what you mean. those lyrics are deep, profound and clearly are working on multiple levels.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: March 3, 2017 18:51

Most of you heard this one. Two guys at a Dead show. They run out of drugs and "straighten out". One says to the other, "Damn, this music SUCKS"

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 3, 2017 18:57

hardee har har thumbs down

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 3, 2017 19:14

Maindefender
For me studiowise it would be American Beauty followed by Blues for Allah. The Rhino reissues with bonus material. Blues for Allah is mellower/bouncier.

I take it back, Blues For Allah is fine but too pristine. The studio version doesn't hold a candle to their live versions.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2075
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home