Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Joey Kramer Disses Charlie and The Stones
Date: March 2, 2017 08:44

SomeTorontoGirl
DandelionPowderman
Gosh, it's hard to be #2! grinning smiley

And by #2, you don't mean "second," do you? grinning smiley

Correct smiling smiley

Date: March 2, 2017 09:42

I like Aerosmith alright, yet Kramer I never really liked. Then I saw a documentary on the band, and at one point Kramer says "Steven Tyler is the twitch in my eye" and I thought that was pretty clever, and I liked him.
Now I don't like him again.

Date: March 2, 2017 15:47

oldschool
Javadave
Top 10 North American Rock Bands

The Band
Grateful Dead
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Beach Boys
Ramones
The Blasters
Los Lobos
X
The Byrds

Next 5

The Mothers Of Invention
Allman Brothers Band
Uncle Tupelo
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Whiskeytown

What no love for ZZ Top? and I think you are selling the Allman Brothers short

1) Allman Brothers Band

2) J. Geils Band

3) Aerosmith

4) Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

5) ZZ Top

6) Van Halen

7) Lynyrd Skynyrd

8) The Black Crowes

9) The Doors

10) Pearl Jam

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 2, 2017 16:00

Winning Ugly VXII
oldschool
Javadave

The Band
Grateful Dead
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Beach Boys
Ramones
The Blasters
Los Lobos
X
The Byrds

Next 5

The Mothers Of Invention
Allman Brothers Band
Uncle Tupelo
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Whiskeytown

1) Allman Brothers Band

2) J. Geils Band

3) Aerosmith

5) ZZ Top

6) Van Halen

7) Lynyrd Skynyrd

8) The Black Crowes

9) The Doors

10) Pearl Jam
That's a great list. I know most people typically isolate metal from rock, but you've got bands like Metallica, Slayer, etc. that could also easily fall in the top 10.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: March 2, 2017 16:02

Joey.. who?

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: March 2, 2017 16:47

And a soul patch on some one in their sixties looks foolish

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 2, 2017 17:10

Some threads kill brain cells as one scans them, this is one of those threads.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: March 2, 2017 17:15

The Stones cast a giant shadow all over Aerosmith!

Steven Tyler has modeled himself after Mick Jagger.

Joe Perry projects the Keith persona on stage.

Coincidence, I think not.

Aerosmith has had some good hits and are a great band but this drummer guy who I never heard of needs to look at videos of his band playing live and get on his knees and thank god for the Stones blueprint which Aerosmith used for success.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 2, 2017 18:02

beachbreak

... but this drummer guy needs to look at videos of his band playing live and get on his knees and thank god for the Stones blueprint which Aerosmith used for success.

THIS !!!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 2, 2017 18:14

Phil Good
beachbreak

... but this drummer guy needs to look at videos of his band playing live and get on his knees and thank god for the Stones blueprint which Aerosmith used for success.

THIS !!!

Really. I always felt like Aerosmith - especially Tyler and Perry - copped their whole visual image from how the Stones looked in the early-mid seventies.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 2, 2017 18:18

Who?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 2, 2017 18:42

these lists are dumb because truly the only lists that matter are records sold and tickets sold for live shows because they trace the exact amount of money earned by said band and artist .After that or before that (like the proverbial which came first the egg or the chicken) the only award that truly matters is the ALMIGHTY GRAMMY .Never mind the people choice awards , The American Music awards , the I heart awards and on down the line .One I guess could make an argument about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Awards but that one is as weird as it gets as far as who gets in and what incarnation of the said band that the hall chooses to recognize and so forth .Talk about a super mega political process to get in to Cleveland's hallowed hall next to the lake which is nice ,but some of the artists that are recognized over others and it makes you want to puke .Go figure what it takes to win over Mr Jann Wenner

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: March 3, 2017 00:33

I always thought "no more no more" could have been a stones song....off Exile or IORR.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 3, 2017 01:01

^^^^^^^^

eeeerrrrr ya reckon...the sound is sorta see thru and preeeee-dictable .... no Exile murk......or that glam slide inta the funkin' soul grind of IORR

ROCKMAN

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: March 3, 2017 01:54

I think Joey has been honkin on too much bobo

Date: March 3, 2017 02:01

HankM
Some threads kill brain cells as one scans them, this is one of those threads.

LOL, you got to admire the art of it; 6 pages of saying over and over "Joey bad, Charlie good".

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 3, 2017 08:42

IanBillen
HMS
wonderboy
keefriff99
HMS
I´ve never ever heard an Aerosmith-song in my life,

That's impossible to believe.

Yeah, that's just bullshit. Why would he say something like that?

It´s true. I don´t even know their singer´s voice. I do not know one single Aerosmith-song, should I have ever heard one of their songs on the radio, in a pub or some other place I didn´t know it was Aerosmith. Of course I know they are around for a long time, i´ve seen pictures of that Jagger-look-alike, but never cared for them. None of the people I know (or knew) owns an Aerosmith-record. Never met a person who listens to Aerosmith.

Well wait a sec... I'm not a very big Aerosmith fan now-a-dayz .. but come on now I just can't get this? You are a music fan .. Everybody's heard at least a few Aerosmith songs .. music fans and casual fans??

Walk this Way .. Dream On ... Sweet Emotion .. Dude Looks Like a Lady ..those type of songs.. You HAD to friggin hear them .. or at least some of them??

I don't get this....?

A couple of decades ago I bought their first album at a low price. But I never listened to it. I obviously must have heard songs from Aerosmith, but I have no recollection of any, and they must have been indifferent to me. Never been felt by me as a band that I have got to listen to.

Why should I bother? There are so many other American bands that are candidates to be among my fourth to 20th favourite bands, that is, in contention with Nick Cave's bands and some British bands. But, as far as I have seen, why does not anyone mention Vanilla Fudge and Sonic Youth and, only a few, the Pixies? Without having listened to them, I suppose that to me Aerosmith hardly could have challenged the Doors, Velvet Underground and so many others as well that I either do like or respect for what they have contributed.

Date: March 3, 2017 11:51

Witness
IanBillen
HMS
wonderboy
keefriff99
HMS
I´ve never ever heard an Aerosmith-song in my life,

That's impossible to believe.

Yeah, that's just bullshit. Why would he say something like that?

It´s true. I don´t even know their singer´s voice. I do not know one single Aerosmith-song, should I have ever heard one of their songs on the radio, in a pub or some other place I didn´t know it was Aerosmith. Of course I know they are around for a long time, i´ve seen pictures of that Jagger-look-alike, but never cared for them. None of the people I know (or knew) owns an Aerosmith-record. Never met a person who listens to Aerosmith.

Well wait a sec... I'm not a very big Aerosmith fan now-a-dayz .. but come on now I just can't get this? You are a music fan .. Everybody's heard at least a few Aerosmith songs .. music fans and casual fans??

Walk this Way .. Dream On ... Sweet Emotion .. Dude Looks Like a Lady ..those type of songs.. You HAD to friggin hear them .. or at least some of them??

I don't get this....?

A couple of decades ago I bought their first album at a low price. But I never listened to it. I obviously must have heard songs from Aerosmith, but I have no recollection of any, and they must have been indifferent to me. Never been felt by me as a band that I have got to listen to.

Why should I bother? There are so many other American bands that are candidates to be among my fourth to 20th favourite bands, that is, in contention with Nick Cave's bands and some British bands. But, as far as I have seen, why does not anyone mention Vanilla Fudge and Sonic Youth and, only a few, the Pixies? Without having listened to them, I suppose that to me Aerosmith hardly could have challenged the Doors, Velvet Underground and so many others as well that I either do like or respect for what they have contributed.

I'm pretty sure you've come across this..

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 3, 2017 13:05

I don't get to listen to it at work. I did not deny that I may have come over such music.

My next musical adventure, however, will be to listen to as many as the latest ten albums of Nick Cave that I have never listened to, even if I listened to Boys Next Door / Birthday Party and approximately the first six albums of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in the '80s and '90s.

Edit: A misprint corrected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 13:57 by Witness.

Date: March 3, 2017 14:35

keefriff99
Winning Ugly VXII
oldschool
Javadave

The Band
Grateful Dead
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Beach Boys
Ramones
The Blasters
Los Lobos
X
The Byrds

Next 5

The Mothers Of Invention
Allman Brothers Band
Uncle Tupelo
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Whiskeytown

1) Allman Brothers Band

2) J. Geils Band

3) Aerosmith

5) ZZ Top

6) Van Halen

7) Lynyrd Skynyrd

8) The Black Crowes

9) The Doors

10) Pearl Jam
That's a great list. I know most people typically isolate metal from rock, but you've got bands like Metallica, Slayer, etc. that could also easily fall in the top 10.

I forgot about the Eagles. They should be on there. Towards the top. Neil Young & Crazy Horse towards the middle.

Springsteen and the E-Street Band in the top 15 american bands but maybe not in the top 10.

Honorable mention to the Fabulous Thunderbirds and to 38 Special.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 3, 2017 14:40

charles connor, mickey waller, charlie watts, so very many others; dozens and dozens before joey's name would come up. that mouth thing on his face makes noises, that's his main problem. i mean joey doesn't even really rate. Most of Aero's bestest hard rock all together don't add up to Missippi Queen, I'd chuck everything they've ever done in a flash micro-second if it meant giving up the the first Jeff Beck Group album. sssshhh joey.... if u want attention do something. Joey Kramer 5. Dave Clark hits, Joey can sing 'em. Glad All Over, Bits & Pieces, it would make the press like crazy. Pull of a good cover of Having A Wild Weekend and make Steven's country hits more irrelevant than they already are. There's a Mr. Excitement inside of him bursting to come out. Just trying to help here...
my first commen on this one word: stupid. and i should have left it at that but it's kinda fun....
I think Ginger Baker, Buddy Rich, Clyde Stubblefield, Jack Dejohnette, Tony Williams, Charles Connor, Joey Kramer. which one doesen't fit. sssh joey. even Ringo, it don't have to be fancy to be elegant and driving. ssssh joey, don't make us have to pull over the car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 14:41 by hopkins.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 3, 2017 15:22

Winning Ugly VXII
keefriff99
Winning Ugly VXII
oldschool
Javadave

The Band
Grateful Dead
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Beach Boys
Ramones
The Blasters
Los Lobos
X
The Byrds

Next 5

The Mothers Of Invention
Allman Brothers Band
Uncle Tupelo
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Whiskeytown

1) Allman Brothers Band

2) J. Geils Band

3) Aerosmith

5) ZZ Top

6) Van Halen

7) Lynyrd Skynyrd

8) The Black Crowes

9) The Doors

10) Pearl Jam

I forgot about the Eagles. They should be on there. Towards the top. Neil Young & Crazy Horse towards the middle.

Springsteen and the E-Street Band in the top 15 american bands but maybe not in the top 10.

Honorable mention to the Fabulous Thunderbirds and to 38 Special.
Of course! I'm such a big mark for Springsteen and yet I routinely forget to think of the E-Street Band when making lists like these. I suppose it's because Springsteen is often viewed as a solo artist.

I would put all three of the bands you mentioned on and bump off the Black Crowes, J. Geils and Pearl Jam.

Nothing against those three bands, but those are the ones I'd swap out with the three you mentioned.

Date: March 3, 2017 15:53

i don't count bands like the heartbreakers, the e street band and the silver bullet band because they are just backing bands for other artists. they don't rely on being successful as actual bands

Date: March 3, 2017 15:56

keefriffhard4life
i don't count bands like the heartbreakers, the e street band and the silver bullet band because they are just backing bands for other artists. they don't rely on being successful as actual bands

Agreed.

Date: March 3, 2017 16:22

Maybe you could say that about the E-Street Band. Not the case for the Heartbreakers. Guitar,bass,and drums are all integral to their music regardless of the name of the band being "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers".

I saw them twice and saw the Stones 15 times and while the Stones are better,I was very impressed by both bands.

The two Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers set lists were too similar. They don't have the huge catalog of quality material that the Stones have but they have around 40 or 50 high caliber songs.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 3, 2017 16:42

MrMibbs
And a soul patch on some one in their sixties looks foolish

Hey! I have one at 56!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 3, 2017 16:43

Any list of Top 10 American bands should include CCR

Date: March 3, 2017 16:51

I forgot to add Booker T & The MGs to my list!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 3, 2017 16:58

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life

Agreed.

I think it depends on the consistency of the members of the backing band as well. If the same guys make up the band on album and live, to me, that makes it "a band". Therefore, because Seger used studio musicians for the majority of his album work, even though the live line-up stayed pretty consistent for years, Silver Bullet was basically "a backing band".

On the other hand: bands like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Huey Lewis and the News were the same guys on record as they were live for years and years. I think TP&HBs had to replace their bass player after the first few albums and HLN lost their bass player after ~15 years and also now has a new guitarist as well (still four originals). In my mind, those are bands as opposed to artists with backing musicians.

Springsteen & E Street Band is a tough one to call as they were pretty consistent regarding membership in and out of studio. I think the fact that Bruce also has a clear solo career and is clearly "The Boss" of E Street, I'd lean towards artist with backing band although I wouldn't argue with anyone who claimed they are a band with a leader.

An interesting topic though. If we weren't in the middle of a thread in desperate need of hijacking, I'd contemplate starting a thread along the lines of: "Band or Artist? Who is what?"

Peace,
Mr DJA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 17:00 by mr_dja.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 3, 2017 17:01

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life

Agreed.

yeh me too; but i do sometimes think of bands not really thought of as bands per se, that had every bit of impact player by player in the creation, development, evolution of the actual product that sent people over the edge...like elvis' tcb bad; those four main guys are like amazing each one, and together they are out of this world; once it was scheff and burton and tutt and hardin (piano) it was a different thing and there should be no denyiny the impact of those hits, albums and history of shows; tho i get it; elvis' main thrust prime is before even my time here and i'm only a decade give or take younger than the Stones...so we're mostly talking bands born and thriving in 60's....tho elvis' renaissnce was '68 and on from there....and it is significant music. to some of us. the others of us may not fully enjoy the elements of all things elvisan in a lot of the artists they came up with and enjoyed.

(think the bib E had a big huge instant msg sellout summer of '72 right before our gents made another mark in history there. he the only one i can think besides the Stones and very few of others who could consistently just do that anywhere anytime and to any extent....I admit I don't listen to him much these past years, but I've spent intense periods of time with him in every decade of my life...and all periods...i'm sure actually come to thing of it; i've seen about or heard about a dozen things in the last few weeks that got me right into it prettty damn quick...even his sholock is sometimes really very good)

then again i realize a lot of grand super fans on boards, or who start cool important sites even, are sometimes born in the 70's well after, very much after, all the most classic records and tours were already long gone history; so a wider perspective on the whole rock and roll thing as a visceral reality in the culturep; a ground breaking one, is more an arcane historical study than a visceral absorbtion of the rock and roll phenomenon itself; which was about 25 or 30 years arguably ending pretty much, except for a few titans, more than 25 or 30 years ago.

I guess in a way I'm very lucky to have born early 50's and at least got a little taste of the first wave; and was a total record buyer and fan before that ended and the Invasion began, then was lucky to be 12 when the Invasion hit and watch all the permutations, additions and wild wonder right from the front row of the culture... in this context it sometimes makes bands like Aerosmith; tho having some incredible great records which is no easy task and is a big achievement, but still...they're not really a big wrinkle all things considered imo. If Aero or a lot of those bands never showed up at all it wouldn't have changed the greatness and importance of what rock and roll music was and is imo. If the STones never showed up, there would be a hole so big it would be unmeasurable and impossible to even contemplate, considering what they did, what they changed, what they affected and actually effected in the culture.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 22:11 by hopkins.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home